Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA 4-16-18

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
GOG or Steam.

The PC version is apparently finally ready after quality control delay.

I did try and search for a previous thread and it just didn't come up for me.

This is no-brainer buy for me. Great series.

If you like these kinds of games then don't miss Ni No Kuni 2 either. :)

Last edited:
Well i always worry about the quality of the KB/M interface on a port so i have to wait a few weeks after release to see how the guinea pigs find the interface :)
-
There are a few games this year that look interesting if the ports are good including the new dragon quest; Shenmue and this.

Eh, just use a game pad. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry too much as Falcom has primarily been a PC game company for the vast majority of their existence.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
If I wanted to use a game pad I would buy a console.

Eh, just use a game pad. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry too much as Falcom has primarily been a PC game company for the vast majority of their existence.

... Gamepad is not something that should be exclusives to console. This game will play much better on a game pad. KB/m isn't the best for ever kind game out there.

Right, that's the beauty of the PC. I can have it both ways.

I can't imagine using a KBM for a game like this myself but YMMV obviously.

Well if it is only playable with a controller than I should be looking elsewhere.

Well if it is only playable with a controller than I should be looking elsewhere.

Show me on this doll where the evil controller touched you.

vagZtZC.jpg

How's everyone doing on this? I haven't gotten to it myself yet but I am seeing complaints that suggest this may not have been ready to be released yet. Crashing being the biggest problem.

I do not enjoy the use of controllers. I have two for my pc but only used them once or twice and do not enjoy that sort of interface. The difference between now and the 90's is that console games are design around console controllers (hence most people who want to use the pc as a console buy ps4 or xbox controllers). I like kb/m games and sadly most ports are very sloppy and do not bother to add quality kb/m interface.
-
Probably the only exception are flight games that work really well with joy sticks - then again it seems that a lot of those games do not show up on console (I know there are a few designed around xbox/ps4 controllers but I would hardly consider them as quality flight games - your opinion might differ).
-
While most ports are very poorly done and have horrible kb/m interfaces (this game and dark soul 1 are two example - though at least dark soul 1 actually ran ok and had decent graphic supports while this turd is horrible) there are have been several consoles games with fantastic kb/m interfaces. VC was fantastic port.

I seriously do not understand this mindset. Gamepads have been part of PC gaming since the 90s. Where did this silly gamepad=console idea come from?

How's everyone doing on this? I haven't gotten to it myself yet but I am seeing complaints that suggest this may not have been ready to be released yet. Crashing being the biggest problem.

There do seem to be a lot of complaints. Personally, I'm an Ys fan, so I purchased it when it came out on the PS4. Sad to hear that it's crashing a lot. Just from a game perspective, overall it was fun. (One of the few games I platinumed on the PS4).

I'm waiting to see how things turn out. If the don't fix the issues I'll probably wait and get it on the Switch, if that port isn't bad as well. If it is then NISA can go blow itself, I'll just not buy it.

There do seem to be a lot of complaints. Personally, I'm an Ys fan, so I purchased it when it came out on the PS4. Sad to hear that it's crashing a lot. Just from a game perspective, overall it was fun. (One of the few games I platinumed on the PS4).

Why this wasn't given to XSEED like all of Falcoms other stuff (including the other Ys ports) I have no idea. I hope this disaster keeps them from doing it again.

like this
https://www.pcgamer.com/yv-viii-lac...ly-on-pc-but-the-port-is-reportedly-terrible/

https://www.destructoid.com/nis-ame...tement-on-ys-viii-s-poor-pc-port-498973.phtml

Sounds like a bad Chinese port job. Clearly this outfit NIS was not up to the task. It absolutely should have been XSEED for this.

This wasn't ready to be released. They needed to go ahead and be honest about this. Cancel and refund all preorders and simply take it off the table until it was either done or just time to bail on it.

A true shame. I hope it can be salvaged otherwise maybe it's Batman Arkham time. Yank it. Refund it. Fix it or bail.

Why does Falcom do this to one of their main serise entries. This is a great game and deserves better treatment on the port. I know sales are really low compared to AAA games but 1 mil is not to shabby for a niche game. It does deserve better sales.

like this
Why does Falcom do this to one of their main serise entries. This is a great game and deserves better treatment on the port. I know sales are really low compared to AAA games but 1 mil is not to shabby for a niche game. It does deserve better sales.

I agree. This makes me super sad and a bit frustrated.

Why this wasn't given to XSEED like all of Falcoms other stuff (including the other Ys ports) I have no idea. I hope this disaster keeps them from doing it again.

Couple reasons:

NIS has much better European distribution then XSEED/Marvelous.

The head of Falcom and the head of NIS are good friends and drinking buddies.

So, both a business decision and nepotism. Hopefully they learn from this and stay the fuck away from NIS in the future.

That’s never the case though. Rather than seeing it as a poor pc port that scared people off, they’ll just see it as people don’t want pc ports.

like this
That’s never the case though. Rather than seeing it as a poor pc port that scared people off, they’ll just see it as people don’t want pc ports.

Mission accomplished? Yeah, I'm that cynical still. (Even though overall this has gotten better than it used to be)

This should have been XSEED.

Last edited:

Falcom won't see that, at least not from Ys. The Ys games tend to sell decently on the PC, same with other Falcom games. And if NISA sees it as people not wanting PC ports anymore, whatever. They've yet to make a good port, some that aren't terrible but it wouldn't be a huge loss.

like this
Somewhere during my search I saw some post on the Steam forums and followed these tips. They have helped. Still no guarantees of course:

get the gog version,

I would recommend this any time if you have that choice but this also eliminates the the "Steam API" issues that were one of the reasons the port was delayed in the first place. A lot of people think this still hasn't been fully resolved.

Broadly speaking, the GOG people have had a little better time of it. A little bit more stable.

Regardless of that, do this:

turn off map shadows,fxaa,dof and glare in ingame settings ,force vsync and aa,af through nvidia panel,
update nvidia driver,

This helped. I was freezing right after the very first battle with wolves when you wash up on the beach and now I've been able to play for at least good half hour.

Save a lot and have a lot of saves.

replace mmap_vv.shd in pcshader>usershd with the one from steam version to fix minimap.

I can only assume this person had BOTH versions of the game? I didn't know what he was talking about so I didn't do this.

no crashes at all.
only problems that i find annoying are the light flickering in 2 areas so far and the 8 directional movement,
which are going to be fixed soon i assume.

We'll see. Hope this helps some people.

One other step I've personally done and this is another perk of using GOG: The Client is merely a nice optional. I disabled its overlay first of all but then I decided to bypass the client and simply run the game straight up, off its .exe. I wanted to eliminate as potential wildcards as I could. (Even though I doubt this makes any difference. )

^^
EDIT ADD: Two hours of gameplay with zero issues since doing the above.

Last edited:
I seriously do not understand this mindset. Gamepads have been part of PC gaming since the 90s. Where did this silly gamepad=console idea come from?

People tend to be morons and blame consoles for things that didn't originate on consoles and have always been a part of the PC.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA 4-16-18

^^

10 hours of gameplay and I've had exactly two freezes in total and I think at least one of them may have been my fault. If you're going to roll the dice on this, absolutely follow these tips.

It's a fun game even though honestly? It looks like a PS3 game.

The game is basically designed to run also on the Vita, and Falcom never made great looking games. It's standard Ys fare (well, 6+).

like this
They're starting to chip away at this. First patch hit:

Update 2 (25 April 2018)
  • Improved joystick control (now true analog rather than 8-directional)
  • General text fixes
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the OP movie video and audio to stutter
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the touchpad/tablet service to interrupt the game roughly every 15 minutes
Update 1 (18 April 2018)
  • VSync enabled
  • Fixed Controller Polling
  • Improved XInput controller detection through Bluetooth (connection)
  • Fixed some French UIs

Back