Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Bah, when and how did they manage to get an English translation out for the PC version? This is what I get for importing it a few years ago and having to struggle with my rudamentary Japanese skills. (Also had the PSP version, but it's not entirely the same).

I will give the Japanese version this though. It comes with a ton of collectables.

Haha now that Nightwolve guy can finally stop crying about someone leaking his translation.

Never played Ys. Where should I start? Is this as good as any?

I saw this while browsing steam today. Ive never played the Ys series. Kinda curious.

Haha now that Nightwolve guy can finally stop crying about someone leaking his translation.

Never played Ys. Where should I start? Is this as good as any?

I started Ys on the TG-16 CD system with "Books I & II". :D

cover_large.jpg

Yup, I'm THAT old. :(

Such a wicked game in it's day, and I still have the disc here, mint condition, just no TG-16 CD system to play it on.

If I had Steam, I'd grab this one, it looks like fun.

cover_large.jpg

Such a wicked game in it's day, and I still have the disc here, mint condition, just no TG-16 CD system to play it on.

If you have a Wii that version is on the Virtual Console.

If you have a Wii that version is on the Virtual Console.

Nope but I watch EBay for old TG-16CD systems. Just have to pull the trigger some day and hope it's a solid unit. ;)

The Ys games were, for the most part always good. I didn't play them all but it always seemed like they put a lot of thought and care into them.

Holy crap... I'm in. I loved the hell out of the Y's games on the TurboGfx CD!

hmm get this on steam or psp version off psn for vita?

From: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/980502-ys-the-oath-in-felghana/57011125

The PSP has the following which are absent from the PC version:

- Full voice-acting for all story-advancing cutscenes.
- "Double boost" ability acquired at the same time as double-jump
- Selectable soundtrack: Oath in Felghana OST, original 1989 PC-88 soundtrack, or old-school X68K Japanese computer soundtrack
- Added prologue novella, as well as voiced prologue scene when starting a new game
- Added art gallery, with character and other concept art unlocked as you complete the regular game and Time Attack on various skill levels
- New Game+ style carry-overs when replaying (may have been in the PC version too, I forget)

The PC also is stuck at 640x480 resolution, but on the positive side, it has absolutely no load times, unlike the PSP version.

*EDIT*

The PC version also has blood, which is missing from the PSP version.
It also has a higher frame rate and resolutiont than the PSP version.
And it has achievements and a leaderboard.

The TG16-CD version of YSI&II is truly something to behold, around the same time as FF1 it has full redbook CD audio, voice overs, pseudo-video and many other features that wouldn't be seen for another decade on other platforms.

Ah man, that brings me back, The YS series was definitely the one that got me hooked on RPG for my entire life.

Suppose that's enough reminiscing for now.

If you put the disc into a normal CD player it gives an audio warning that it was meant for the TG-16CD system only, and could damage your player/speakers.

I ripped all the audio tracks to MP3 long ago and keep them on my PC. Some of the music was really cool, especially back then when it was all new.

Ys is a good series and I might still grab this one, no job makes it tough though, esp since I blew money I didn't have on a new monitor to help my ailing eyes.

XSEED is also going to release Ys Origin on Steam later this year. I'm glad XSEED is giving PC gamers some love, they're a great little company.

cover_large.jpg

Your PC can do the job. Ya so there is a lot of Japanese on the page. For some reason, TG16/PC-Engine emulation has never been that popular in the US. Should do the trick though. These days Trubo Engine might be a better option. It wasn't so popular because it has "high" system requirements of a 2.5GHz P4 but let's be serious about how much we are over that now.

Magic Engine is another option, but they want money for that even though they can't be bothered to put out an update in 4 years.

Pretty much anything PS2 or older, a modern PC can handle the emulation of and there are good emulators out there.

Now they just need to release Ys Origin in the US. Excellent game if you haven't tried it. I also remember the PC version of this supporting more than just 640x480...at least it did when I last played it.

Is there controller support for this?

Yes there is. The only issue I have is that I can't get to the inventory with my XBox controller (I have to press escape on the keyboard), so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Your PC can do the job. Ya so there is a lot of Japanese on the page. For some reason, TG16/PC-Engine emulation has never been that popular in the US. Should do the trick though. These days Trubo Engine might be a better option. It wasn't so popular because it has "high" system requirements of a 2.5GHz P4 but let's be serious about how much we are over that now.

Magic Engine is another option, but they want money for that even though they can't be bothered to put out an update in 4 years.

Pretty much anything PS2 or older, a modern PC can handle the emulation of and there are good emulators out there.

Aye, I've seen them and tried the demo for Magic Engine long ago.

It wasn't quite the same without the controller, but it wasn't bad either. Sigh, now I want to go dig up the stuff to make it work.

Well while you can't (easily) have the original TG16 controller you can still use a controller. Logitech makes some PS2/3 like controllers that I love for emulators and are cheap, and any wired 360 controller works great in Windows (some games will recognize it and use it real well too).

Give one of the other two emulators a spin, since they are free. Emulation has gotten a lot better these days just on account of PCs being powerhouses. Used to be you had to try and be all clever with hacks to make things work at reasonable speeds. Now brute force emulation does the trick. Hell give it a few years and some GPGPU code and I think a full out VHDL circuit simulation might be doable for some in realtime.

The PC also is stuck at 640x480 resolution, but on the positive side, it has absolutely no load times, unlike the PSP version.

Turns out to not be true. The game supports any rez my system does up to and including 1920x1200. It has a configuration tool... However getting the fucking thing to run is a different matter. Honestly, I don't know what I did. When I launched it one time instead of just running it asked me what I wanted to do and the config tool was an option. That has a ton of settings including rez, FSAA, all kinds of shit. Now I can't make it run again. Even running the config exe does nothing :p.

However, you can edit that shit in the config file. Search your Steam directory for ysf_win.ini. For me it is in C:\Steam\userdata\44211864\207320\remote I don't know if it varies or not. If your game is stuck at 640x480 is is probably very short. Mine was the first time I found it (was seeing if there were options I could change). Now it looks like this:

Code:
IniVersion=0x103

[kernel]
WindowPosX=0
WindowPosY=0
SSTPEnable=0
ClampInternalFrameRateMin=5
ClampInternalFrameRateMax=10000
ProcessPriorityClass=0x0
ProcessAffinityMask=0x0
ThreadAffinityMask_Main=0x0
ThreadAffinityMask_BGM=0x0
AccessArchiveViaMemoryMappedFile=1
HighResoText=1

[game]
BloodyEffectLevel=1
SaveFileNo=1
TitleCursorIndex=3
TitleGameDifficulty=0
TitleTimeAttackIndex=0
PlayerName="Adol Christin"
AlternateNameSeparator=" "
TextFilter_Delimiter=" \t"
TextFilter_Dictionary=""
; use osaka.exe for dictionary
GameFirstPlay=1

[renderer]
ShowFPS=1
GammaValue=1.00000000
DeviceIdentifier="<D7B71E3E-53C1-11CF-787E-7C351FC2C535>"
Device=0
Adapter=0
BackBufferWidth=1600
BackBufferHeight=1200
BackBufferFormat32=1
RefreshRate=0
MultiSampleType(dx9)=8
MultiSampleQuality(dx9)=3
TextureFilter=2
Anisotropy=16
Windowed=0
ForceMultiThreaded=0
WaitVSync=1
ForceSoftwareVP=0
TripleBuffer=0
LowResoTexture=0
CompressedTexture=0
SortAlphaTexture=1
LowResoShadow=0
RenderShadow=1
WindVS=1
WaterVS=1
CloudVS=1
PointLightVS=1
FireBlur=1
Mipmap=1
GammaEnable=0
DP3Bump=1

[audio]
BgmVolume=512
EffectVolume=512
Device=0
PlayBgm=1
PlayEffect=1
Reverb=0
UseWuVorbis=1
ForceSoftwareSoundBuffer=0

[input]
PadAnalog=0
DashControl=1
AtkBtnMagic=0
AlwaysDashOK=0
MouseButtonAlwaysOkCancel=1
ForceFeedback=1
GamePad=1
FileIndex=0
Assign{KEY_ACTION}="Z"
Assign{KEY_JUMP}="X"
Assign{KEY_SHOT}="C"
Assign{KEY_USE}="V"
Assign{KEY_MENU}="Space"
Assign{KEY_WALK}="L-Shift"
Assign{KEY_SWORD_REVD}="S"
Assign{KEY_SWORD_REVU}="D"
Assign{KEY_SWORD0}="1"
Assign{KEY_SWORD1}="2"
Assign{KEY_SWORD2}="3"
Assign{KEY_UP}="Numpad8"
Assign{KEY_DOWN}="Numpad2"
Assign{KEY_LEFT}="Numpad4"
Assign{KEY_RIGHT}="Numpad6"
Assign{KEY_UPLEFT}="Numpad7"
Assign{KEY_UPRIGHT}="Numpad9"
Assign{KEY_DOWNLEFT}="Numpad1"
Assign{KEY_DOWNRIGHT}="Numpad3"
Assign{MOUSE_DIR}="L-Button"
Assign{PAD_ACTION}="Button1"
Assign{PAD_JUMP}="Button2"
Assign{PAD_SHOT}="Button3"
Assign{PAD_USE}="Button4"
Assign{PAD_MENU}="Button10"
Assign{PAD_WALK}="Button9"
Assign{PAD_SWORD_REVD}="Button5"
Assign{PAD_SWORD_REVU}="Button8"
Assign{MOUSE_ACTION}="---"
Assign{MOUSE_JUMP}="R-Button"
Assign{MOUSE_SHOT}="---"
Assign{MOUSE_USE}="M-Button"
Assign{MOUSE_MENU}="---"
Assign{MOUSE_WALK}="---"
DeadZone=0.34990001
RunWalkThreshold=0.50000000
MouseSensitivity=1.00000000
DoubleClickFrame=12

Copy-paste that shit to yours, and it should be up and running at 1600x1200 with the detail turned up. Most options are pretty self explanatory.

I don't know what the issue is, why it doesn't give the menu normally, but there you go. You can get high rez, if you are lucky, or know how to hack the ini.

Ok further info: You can run the config utility by popping open Steam, finding the game in your library, and right clicking on it. You have options to run the game, the config utility, the DX8 version of the game, and the DX8 config utility. They seem to work properly.

Widescreen modes DO work, but are stretched, not horiz+ so I'd stick with 4:3. Game looks much nicer in 1600x1200 with high rez textures on. Still not like high end or anything but pretty nice. On a 570 I found you can crank the FSAA up as much as you like. I set 32x CSAA and 8x transparency supersample because why not? :D

So just an update if you haven't bought this game yet, don't. Well I should clarify: Don't unless you like some extremely frustrating platforming. It starts off good. There are a few tricky areas, but generally hidden "You get moar stuffs" kind of areas so that's cool.

Then you get to the ice caves. They decided it would be fun to have you navigate across a bunch of tiny bridges that you can fall off of and run a LONG way back (even the no fall mode takes you all the way back to the start of the bridges and you have to turn it back on each time) all of which are slippery and of by the way you are looking at it kinda angled as normal so your sense of perspective and direction is off.

Shit is uninstalled off my system and if I could get my money back, I would. It is way, way too frustrating and poorly designed. Not a bad game overall, but it sucks ass to get stuck in the middle of it and basically be unable to advance if you aren't a master of platformers.

Strange too given that there was no work up to it. Just all of a sudden there is this extremely difficult platform maze.

So my vote is give it a miss.

So just an update if you haven't bought this game yet, don't. Well I should clarify: Don't unless you like some extremely frustrating platforming. It starts off good. There are a few tricky areas, but generally hidden "You get moar stuffs" kind of areas so that's cool.

Then you get to the ice caves. They decided it would be fun to have you navigate across a bunch of tiny bridges that you can fall off of and run a LONG way back (even the no fall mode takes you all the way back to the start of the bridges and you have to turn it back on each time) all of which are slippery and of by the way you are looking at it kinda angled as normal so your sense of perspective and direction is off.

Shit is uninstalled off my system and if I could get my money back, I would. It is way, way too frustrating and poorly designed. Not a bad game overall, but it sucks ass to get stuck in the middle of it and basically be unable to advance if you aren't a master of platformers.

Strange too given that there was no work up to it. Just all of a sudden there is this extremely difficult platform maze.

So my vote is give it a miss.

before you reach that point when you're in the main town, the guy you can sell ravel to makes mention of boots that make it so you don't slip at all. sadly you were SOOOO close to getting them. as soon as you fall off that platform, you make your way west (us terra bracelet on the slopes if you have issues) and you come to a room with the boots in a chest. equip those and its like you're running on normal ground again.

hope that bit of information gets you to reinstall the game, cause it really is a great one.

A few questions:

1. How many Ys games are there, and in what order?

2. Anyway to get them all without the original systems?

3. How hard are they to get into?

A few questions:

1. How many Ys games are there, and in what order?

2. Anyway to get them all without the original systems?

3. How hard are they to get into?

1) There are 9 official games (one being an RTS) with several remakes in the group (1-4 have been remade afaik). Origins was one of the last games to be made, but takes place before Ys 1.

2) Not really. Origins was never released in the USA (but XSeed is about to change that). Strategy was released in Europe, but not the USA. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun and Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys were released only in Japan.

3) They're fairly easy to get into. Each game is playable and self contained. (Basically, Adol ends up in a new land each game, and tries to solve their issues). Not saying that it's not worth it to know the back story, just that it's not necessary.

before you reach that point when you're in the main town, the guy you can sell ravel to makes mention of boots that make it so you don't slip at all. sadly you were SOOOO close to getting them. as soon as you fall off that platform, you make your way west (us terra bracelet on the slopes if you have issues) and you come to a room with the boots in a chest. equip those and its like you're running on normal ground again.

hope that bit of information gets you to reinstall the game, cause it really is a great one.

No I had the no slip boots. You still slip a bit on hills. Not nearly as much, but still. I had the Stone Shoes and I found the fucking thing impossible. With the keyboard I was able to get slightly further, but still no go. After failing about 15 times in a row I'd had it, game is done. I play for fun, not frustration.

No I had the no slip boots. You still slip a bit on hills. Not nearly as much, but still. I had the Stone Shoes and I found the fucking thing impossible. With the keyboard I was able to get slightly further, but still no go. After failing about 15 times in a row I'd had it, game is done. I play for fun, not frustration.

that's unfortunate. to each their own i guess. personally i grew up on platformers so i didn't find it challenging at all. boots+wind magic+double jump made it so it wasn't an issue. only fell once after the boots cause i got too close to an edge and got knocked off by a monster.

for me the biggest challenge is taking on groups of monsters, too often i get chain hit and can't retaliate, but that's what i like about this game, reminds me of the older console games which were usually less forgiving of mistakes.

Just use jump and the sword wind a lot, and watch Adol's shadow to see where he will land. The annoying falling off bit only lasts for a screen or so.

Back