YouTuber's we're way off on iOS 15

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the iOS 15 reveal yesterday. Was expecting a lot more stuff.

Several big updates expected to be in iOS 15 per a lot of the big name YouTuber's are not coming whatsoever;

- AoD ( Always on Display ). come on Apple this is an important feature we'd like to get on iPhone's.

- Notification revamp so not so cluttered

- Lockscreen revised and updated, adding weather to Lockscreen, etc...

- Revised Settings menu

- Brand new Control Center

- Darker dark mode, meaning even icons and stuff would go dark as well.

- Themes and icon packs officially supported and baked into stock iOS 15. Because last year with iOS 14 and the Shortcuts app allowing some customization that was never available on a non JB iPhone before, people expected Apple to realize it was a fan favorite and much welcomed feature to be able to do icon packs and stuff, so lots expected Apple to take notice and go with it, making it a stock feature that they could have developers charge money for and Apple wouid make coin too. Kinda surprised Apple wouldn't welcome themes or what is available to.do right now in iOS 14 but make it work without needing Shortcuts app at least.

Last edited:
Everything was dreams from all these youtuber and people that supposedly have the knowledge of leaks. This was a bad one for tons of hardware and stuff that was mentioned that never happened. I am not going to believe anything anyone says ahead of time next time.

I guess I’m just kind of curious some of these YouTube people have a pretty decent track record on leaks and rumors being somewhat correct. And a lot of the stuff I listed in the OP seemed like it was coming or happening in iOS 15 but none of that happened, like not even close like 0%. They were totally wrong.

I guess I’m just kind of curious some of these YouTube people have a pretty decent track record on leaks and rumors being somewhat correct. And a lot of the stuff I listed in the OP seemed like it was coming or happening in iOS 15 but none of that happened, like not even close like 0%. They were totally wrong.
Yep, agreed. None of it. Not sure if it was a planned leaks to catch people at Apple as I heard they been doing it, but this has been the worst I've seen in the history of any conference from them.

I never followed Apple rumors, but how much for something like software update information leak in the past came from software developer, tester and so on, mouth to mouth talk when a little drunk in diner wanting to impress people of their insider knownledge ? Going to conference and meeting a lot of people that know stuff together for a weekend, etc...

Pandemy-stay at home probably put a big drought in that type of flux of information and could make them have to use online type of stuff, that can be manipulated or even make stuff up going with more likely to keep your content up.

iOS 15 major updates... (n)
iPad OS to match M1... (n)
MacBook Pro M1X 14"/16"... (n)

The YT reviewers -- and we -- got burned pretty badly this time.

Last edited:
This almost seems like Apple is trolling us, and this is really a 14.8 update, and not the real big annual next gen iOS 15 release. They barely changed or added anything, it's such a small release it seems, compared to what all the YouTuber's were saying was coming.

With the crappy iOS 15 reveal, I'm pretty much gonna go back to my tried and true love, the Google Pixel.

As long as there's a Pixel 6 XL coming, and it's supposed to be a high end flagship, I'm probably going back.

Was so excited for iOS 15 after what I thought was coming, but 0% of what I expected is coming, meaning nothing. F crApple.

It sucks, because iOS 13 and especially 14 had great updates and long wanted features added, I was thinking iOS 15 wouid continue that. But this reveal was so lackluster and lame like Apple gave up and did practically nothing for 15.

I had gone the opposite. Five years of Android and now back to iOS. I am very disappointed with the Android updates that are breaking things, even with a factory reset. And Samsung has left me with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth: In the US, it prioritizes the carrier-locked (or carrier-specific) phones over the unlocked phones for updates.

That said, the so-called iOS 15 launch was lackluster. Very lackluster.

I mean it's "Apple". It could smell like month old rotted meat and come with a jolting electric shock and people are going to buy it.

Just the way it is.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the changes may come when iPhone 13 or 12S or iPhone 2021 comes out... Apple isn't going to not let the new hardware shine. Heck, iPhone Max Pro 2021 might be powered by the M1 as well.

I’m also disappointed, because both iOS 13 and 14 brought some nice new features and updates, with Dark mode, Widgets on Home Screen, set default apps, the incoming Phone call not hijacking the screen anymore but comes in as a notification banner, etc… Bunch of things I thought iOS very much needed and they’re great that they were finally added.

I was hoping iOS 15 would continue that, adding more new features, per a lot of the rumors that seemed plausible not far fetched stuff. But they added 0, nothing. So I’m a little bummed.

You know what's more disappointing about android? No improvement on memory management, which leads to instability and poorer battery life, why androids need bigger batteries to have similar battery life. Qualcomm flagship Snapdragon is also terrible compared to Apple chips, for pretty much the same cost. "Oh, but my shitty soc does enough for me, at the same cost you're paying for an iPhone..." After years of having to fiddle around with Android phones to make it work smoothly, I'll take the phone that's stable and gives me the most for my money in performance and value.

I have a galaxy s21 ultra as well, best android phone today. It's not terrible, but i can definitely tell it's not running as smoothly as the iPhone 12 I got. Knowing that this iPhone 12 will be updated for 6+ years and that its resell value for later this year or next year would be higher easily makes the iPhone the better recommendation. You know how many customization I do on this galaxy, pretty much nothing... I use what Samsung gave me. I really dunno why you guys want all these extra customizations. Like how much do you need?

Last edited:
thats a nice change but how is the performance?
Probably fine?
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/iufp6k/iphone_6s_users_ios_14_megathread/g5knkwg/

iOS14 worked just fine on iPhone 6S, and apparently not much is changing, so I can't imagine it doing much worse. Apple has apparently been doing a pretty decent job keeping old phones competent even with newer updates lately.

I have an iPhone 8+ that I got mainly for playing mobile games better (at the time--and even now, maybe--it played games much better than even Android's flagships). This was over 2 years ago now, probably? Since I don't play mobile games much anymore, I considered swapping to Android... but

- my experience with the LG V20 left a horrible taste in my mouth. The device started out running perfectly fine, but then when I (finally, by the way--took ages) got the OS upgrade, it just literally ran like hot garbage. This doesn't seem to be an uncommon case. Android has a lot of trouble keeping their devices current, and even when they do make them current the device can basically end up inoperable because the vendor "accidentally" decided to do such a trash job with it.

- Meanwhile, 2 years and several updates later, this 8+ runs just as well as it did when I got it. No issues, aside from battery degradation.

- Apple's privacy features are good... despite you having to go through 20 submenus to get them to stop sending your info out, at least it does probably stop once you do. Android is a wild west of permissions, last I checked.

- iOS has a some features that you would need applications with dubious permissions for, built in. Namely, the screen recorder. I think Android added this in with recent updates, though.

On the other hand, I hate the keyboard, hate the browsers, and hate how you can't stream anything (last I checked), and hate the file system limitations imposed by the system. That's why I keep considering swapping back, but frankly the phone runs great for anything that I do, so I can't get myself to. I don't really care what these new operating systems are even supposed to bring to the table anyway. I often don't upgrade and often don't care to until the thing nags me enough. I don't understand why people base their decisions on these newfangled features but maybe my needs for a phone are becoming simplistic, whereas they would have been considered advanced sevaral years ago.

thats a lot of blah blah for a "good", "fine" or "crap" answer...

Yes, well, only the first 3 lines are directed at you specifically, if that helps. The rest of it is just my anecdotal experience with Android vs iOS, as an aside, since that's what these topics often come to anyway (and it has).

Hey, if you don't like iOS you can always install.... err... wait, nevermind...

Hey, if you don't like iOS you can always install.... err... wait, nevermind...
Yeah and good luck trying to get support if you have a problem with a custom ROM or kernel. Been there, done that. For me, loath as I may be to admit it (and I really was at first), iOS has simply worked. I've never felt the need for another ROM because it doesn't have much sketchy stuff running in the background to begin with, especially if I disable it. It just works.

I hate Apple in general and I hate their desktop/laptop (both OS and price and everything else) line, but their phones are another thing. I reluctantly and whimsically went in expecting to hate everything about this phone. But no, I just hate some things. A lot of things are, on the other hand, also done very well.

Mainly stated this because I see a lot of anti-Apple sentiment, and I do agree with a lot of it, but this iPhone 8+ has basically been an investment, considering it works today just as well as when I got it. I put it in an Otterbox, have dropped it several times, and I can basically keep using it until I'm literally tired of it.

Last edited:
Back