YouTubers Are Up In Arms About YouTube Red

I know it might not fit in your head, but some people don't seek fame, they're perfectly happy as anonymous nobodies.

And if they weren't idiots, they wouldn't go around anonymously on the internet talking about how lame and talentless those successful people are ;_

Is Vimeo the best youtube alternative? I thought youtube was going to do away with force linking google accounts.

Well fair enough, and that is of course an issue whenever you paint with too broad a brush. But I think its clear most of us are talking about the few that got big because they went in at the right time before there was a lot of competition, and created boat loads of young subscribers by offering free loot if you comment and subscribe and spamming everywhere. You know, all those girls sitting in front of a camera reviewing makeup so they could get free makeup and the guys just acting like retards playing a video game with a camera pointed at their head and superimposed in a corner with dumb commentary.

Clearly there is some professional quality media that has made it to Youtube as well by now, but that isn't a majority. Then again, people adore non-youtube hacks like Kanye and the Kardashians even though they have about as much talent and combined intelligence as a wet spaghetti noodle.

Its not so much a dis on them as it is a dis on the bottom feeding catfish subhuman drones in society that actually look up to these people and give them money.

Can somebody help me out with this section of the article? I can't seem to wrap my head around what they are saying (must be too early - need more coffee)

"That means if creators don’t sign a YouTube Red contract, their videos will be marked “private,” meaning nobody can see them. Otherwise, YouTube Red subscribers would be unable to access videos that non-subscribers have access to, which means subscribers would be getting less content than they would on free YouTube, not more."

So confused...

Can somebody help me out with this section of the article? I can't seem to wrap my head around what they are saying (must be too early - need more coffee)

"That means if creators don’t sign a YouTube Red contract, their videos will be marked “private,” meaning nobody can see them. Otherwise, YouTube Red subscribers would be unable to access videos that non-subscribers have access to, which means subscribers would be getting less content than they would on free YouTube, not more."

So confused...

If the creator doesn't sign a Youtube Red contract, their videos can't be shown to Youtube Red subscribers, I guess. So the creator's videos will be made private if they don't sign the contract, otherwise non-Red people would be able to see videos Red people would.

I don't quite understand this.Youtube already beams ads with everything.
Google has gotten out of hand.
They probably have when you farted last logged.

Google cares about your privacy. They said so right on their homepage.

You know, all those girls sitting in front of a camera reviewing makeup so they could get free makeup and the guys just acting like retards playing a video game with a camera pointed at their head and superimposed in a corner with dumb commentary.
Your post made me think of this:

South Park - Commenting on My Friends Commenting
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/0a2whv/commenting-on-my-friends-commenting

Its not so much a dis on them as it is a dis on the bottom feeding catfish subhuman drones in society that actually look up to these people and give them money.
What bugs me most are the copycats. A lot of these "creators" are entertaining, but for each original one, there are 50 clone-spawns that come along after.

1. Google is in the business of making money
2. Google is thinking about how to make MORE money a few years from now (hint: this is how publicly traded companies work).
3. Google thinks that RED is the path to making more money a few years from now (hint: cable 2.0)

Youtube has been doing its thing for just over a decade now. Since its inception it has evolved a few times...thing is just another evolution. People who make content has already seen their "income dwindle" quite a few times. This is NO different that the revenue stream that "TECH SITES" have seen over the past 10+ years. The good ones will survive and adapt and the bad ones will fail.

As with all things in life...opportunity (luck) favors the prepared. The people who got in weren't just lucky...they saw something way back then and worked on it. The people who got in late..well, don't call me that for dinner.

So confused...

First of all, the deal only applied to partners, people like PewPewDie who were already getting 55% of the ad revenue. If they didn't sign, their content would go private, that is not available on red or free. if you are just some guy who uploaded a video of your kid for your parents, or have never been offered a cut of the ads it does not apply to you.

Signing does not mean that all of their content will go behind a paywall, but they can choose to make red only content, or even go completely pay if they want, but doing that would effectively kill the revenue they are currently getting.

folks make $ off of ads on youtube... not sure how much youtube makes off of it thou... but if you pay youtube $10 (a month? or a year?) no ads... then folks who live off those ads makes less $. I very much doubt everyone is gonna pony up the $ to go ad-less. much a do about nothing.

And if they weren't idiots, they wouldn't go around anonymously on the internet talking about how lame and talentless those successful people are ;_

And what does that make you? Commenting anonymously on people commenting anonymously on youtube "stars".

I said they have talent. But in many cases it won't be enough to make it in the real world. I'm not jealous of them, I don't want to see them fail, I'm just expecting some or most to fail, when the era of ad supported youtube lifestyle comes to an end.

And if they weren't idiots, they wouldn't go around anonymously on the internet talking about how lame and talentless those successful people are
The worst NFL players make more than I do by far, and you might gauge that as a level of "success". However just because I can't play football anywhere close to the level that they can does not mean that my critique of their skill is any less valid.

The worst NFL players make more than I do by far, and you might gauge that as a level of "success". However just because I can't play football anywhere close to the level that they can does not mean that my critique of their skill is any less valid.

If you call an NFL player talentless hacks then yes that's pretty invalid.

I do watch some things on YouTube, but nothing I would be willing to pay a monthly fee for. I feel like willingly sitting through the ads is enough.

My daughter likes watching a lot of the gamers, but until she starts earning her own money, she won't be getting a sub either.

Yeah, there are only a couple channels I subscribe 2 that are true YouTubers.

One is a guy that works in a jet engine shop; the other is a mechanic that owns his own ship works on cars.
There are a ton of guys talking about car stuff on youtube but the vast majority of them are a bunch of ass clowns that really don't know much about mechanics; just hype.

If you call an NFL player talentless hacks then yes that's pretty invalid.

No, not really. Unless you take it as a strict literal meaning. But very often you're talking among people of the same profession, and yeah there can be talentless hacks among football players.

Just like youtube, yeah there are plenty of people who put a lot of effort into what they do, then there are others who are just doing something anyone can do, just because everyone doesn't do it (although in some cases you can argue it sure as fuck seems like everyone is doing the whole "watch me play a video game" type of video content) and yeah not all of them have "talent"

Cable 2.0 indeed.

In the beginning you paid for cabe so you could get quality stuff without ads. Then, some ads. Now it's a buttload of ads, and the quality content is scarce.

Can't wait to pay for Internet to see ads and still only have shit content available.

Cable 2.0 indeed.

In the beginning you paid for cabe so you could get quality stuff without ads. Then, some ads. Now it's a buttload of ads, and the quality content is scarce.

Can't wait to pay for Internet to see ads and still only have shit content available.

Already is that way, this is why we have to use adblockers, not a whole lot of content on many websites once you view them that way. All those stupid "10 things insurance companies dont want you to know" links all go away, or those fake links "new law in (detected city) that most dont know about".

You lost me....

I can't find it at the moment, but there was a youtuber that did reviews about movies and after watching it i saw a link that another youtuber posted a video of what they thought of the video I just watched. Is that making more sense, I may have worded it poorly before.

Yeah, there are only a couple channels I subscribe 2 that are true YouTubers.

One is a guy that works in a jet engine shop; the other is a mechanic that owns his own ship works on cars.
There are a ton of guys talking about car stuff on youtube but the vast majority of them are a bunch of ass clowns that really don't know much about mechanics; just hype.
I subscribe to Philip DeFranco, Colion Noir, and SmarterEveryDay. That's about it.

Then you're clearly not the person I was talking about. Not everything is about you!

WHAT?! Then what is the point of the shrine I made?!

Anyway, I'm just confused by the distribution of money. Where the adds being viewed would go to the vid owner's who posted teh video... how does a 5 dollar bill or 10 dollar bill divided to the potentially thousands of videos watched? It seems like it would screw the Red people if more and more jump in on it, but that sounds wrong... more than likely it'll always be shit with google getting a huge amount then splitting the 5 cent that's left over to the vid owners.

The whole videos go private thing seems odd too. But I guess it's an update to the terms of service, so you have to accept to keep using? So... isn't that like every other service? Unless it forces in some way to go red, it doesn't seem that bad.

folks make $ off of ads on youtube... not sure how much youtube makes off of it thou... but if you pay youtube $10 (a month? or a year?) no ads... then folks who live off those ads makes less $. I very much doubt everyone is gonna pony up the $ to go ad-less. much a do about nothing.

Partners make 55% off ads currently. In lieu of ad revenue, they will receive a portion of the monthly fee, the amount depending on how long people watch. Potentially it could be more than the current 55% but that will likely depend on the type of content and it still is below what others pay in the space.

I don't quite understand this.Youtube already beams ads with everything.
Google has gotten out of hand.
They probably have when you farted last logged.

Google is an advertisement company their secondary activities are to support that.

Already is that way, this is why we have to use adblockers, not a whole lot of content on many websites once you view them that way. All those stupid "10 things insurance companies dont want you to know" links all go away, or those fake links "new law in (detected city) that most dont know about".
Those ads are absolutely the worst. It makes me want to find the people pushing them and randomly punch them in the face.

I can't find it at the moment, but there was a youtuber that did reviews about movies and after watching it i saw a link that another youtuber posted a video of what they thought of the video I just watched. Is that making more sense, I may have worded it poorly before.
Ahhh, ok. I thought you were talking about something you said in *this* thread... the way you worded it.

Why didn't they just do this? Put ads on all videos, have a subscription to take away ads. If you're not signed up with Red, you get no money from ads. Done.

Either way, sounds like I won't be going to youtube as much and probably some other service is going to start moving up. I'll just deal with Niconico and miss out on random youtube videos.

Why didn't they just do this? Put ads on all videos, have a subscription to take away ads. If you're not signed up with Red, you get no money from ads. Done.

Because that's not how their ad revenue system works, and that system would not allow them to produce original content and series.

Imagine trying to run Netflix solely off ad revenue!

The content provider agreements they have now wouldn't quite fit that model. They need a new structure to move forward to provide the kind of content and revenue stream they want.

Because that's not how their ad revenue system works, and that system would not allow them to produce original content and series.

Imagine trying to run Netflix solely off ad revenue!

The content provider agreements they have now wouldn't quite fit that model. They need a new structure to move forward to provide the kind of content and revenue stream they want.

I lol'd at "Imagine trying to run Netflix solely off ad revenue!" ... that's pretty close to what TV was.

I lol'd at "Imagine trying to run Netflix solely off ad revenue!" ... that's pretty close to what TV was.

Link that thought to the expanding "instant gratification generation" for that "oh yeah," moment, the standard TV model is dead.

Cause a buttload of stuff will disappear or become unviewable. It's already started. I watch a lot of Japanese stupid.

In the US, the モーニング娘。 ’15 channel shows only 5 videos and none of those videos are viewable. Why? Youtube Red.

As I'm still in Europe, I haven't gotten raped with Youtube Red yet. So I have hundreds of videos on the モーニング娘。 ’15 channel. All viewable, minus music videos. Cause the music videos are blocked by GEMA (Germany's version of RIAA).

I watch a lot of random Japanese stupid videos*

I hate not having an edit button in here.

But why start your own site and rely on that alone? You are aware you will get more views through youtube than you will your own site correct? People can find random videos through youtube and find your content. Not going to happen on your own site. That is why many people have their own site AND youtube as they get more hits from youtube and end up bringing people to their site over time from youtube. I know people that have watched Rooster Teeth or Achievement Hunters for years before they finally went to the Rooster Teeth site and signed up.

Exactly, but those suggesting such can't think that deep into it...those are the haters or they think they know better..

"mm, build out my own site, code, content, hosting and everything else,. or just use something that reaches millions of people already.."

No brainer there..

So I decided to visit the YouTube Red page to read through the particulars about the service and saw something very pleasing. I already have access since I subscribe to Google Play Music! So, if you have a membership to GPMusic, you're all set for YouTube Red!

Back