YouTube Will No Longer Allow Creators to Make Money until They Reach 10,000 Views

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an effort to curb content stealing, YouTube is stripping ads from channels that have less than 10,000 views. The company tried to combat this initially with user reporting but is now going one step further by establishing a threshold for revenue. Since 10,000 views equates to a payout of around $10, there probably isn’t much to complain about here.

People were creating accounts that uploaded content owned by other people, sometimes big record labels or movie studios, sometimes other popular YouTube creators. In an effort to combat these bad actors, YouTube has announced a change to its partner program today. From now on, creators won’t be able to turn on monetization until they hit 10,000 lifetime views on their channel. YouTube believes that this threshold will give them a chance to gather enough information on a channel to know if it’s legit. And it won’t be so high as to discourage new independent creators from signing up for the service.

Good. There's a lot of channels that get created based off ripping and reuploading others content.

The original content may not have even been ad based to begin with. Unfortunately, there's plenty of channels that are built on this and they already have the views/subs to negate it.

Sounds like a great idea, but is it 10k views before you post a video or if you get 10k views on the first video you post would that allow you to start making money on it or would it mean the next vid you posted could have ads?

Sounds like a great idea, but is it 10k views before you post a video or if you get 10k views on the first video you post would that allow you to start making money on it or would it mean the next vid you posted could have ads?

After a creator hits 10k lifetime views on their channel, we’ll review their activity against our policies,” wrote Ariel Bardin, YouTube’s VP of product management, in a blog post published today. “If everything looks good, we’ll bring this channel into YPP and begin serving ads against their content. Together these new thresholds will help ensure revenue only flows to creators who are playing by the rules.”

So someone makes a script to click on a "creator" 10k times? (yeah I didn't read the article)

After a creator hits 10k lifetime views on their channel, we’ll review their activity against our policies,” wrote Ariel Bardin, YouTube’s VP of product management, in a blog post published today. “If everything looks good, we’ll bring this channel into YPP and begin serving ads against their content. Together these new thresholds will help ensure revenue only flows to creators who are playing by the rules.”

Which means anything that isn't following their "policies" gets no ad revenue. This is done to counter any speech or video in this case that google/yt doesn't like, target number one is likely political speech.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
There are plenty of content theft channels I keep seeing popping up over and over, some years old. I doubt this will do a thing.

There are plenty of content theft channels I keep seeing popping up over and over, some years old. I doubt this will do a thing.

It's meant to discourage / curb content theft by making it unprofitable, not stop it. I thought the headline meant youtube was getting cheap and cutting down on paying out to legitimate creators. Reading the article it turns out it's the opposite.

This is probably the fallout from major advertisers pulling out because their ads were running with terrorists and hate groups, and google had to finally do something about detecting and filtering content.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/23/att-verizon-boycott-google-ads/

ads were running with terrorists and hate groups,
That is the problem. They (google) never gave a flying f before about terrorists and all of a sudden those that speak out against ACTUAL terrorist (something you can actually classify as real hate. i.e. terrorists hating western societies) are the ones being classified as "hate" speakers.

Its absolutely tyranical and my bet, the excuse that its because of advertisers pulling funds is smoke and mirrors.

Welcome to the start of the beginning of the end.

If you think this is "conspiracy theory". Then you are either completely ignorant in life, history, and or social and political aspects and you're one of the Useful Idiots. Or you're on their pay roll (or both).

That is the problem. They (google) never gave a flying f before about terrorists and all of a sudden those that speak out against ACTUAL terrorist (something you can actually classify as real hate. i.e. terrorists hating western societies) are the ones being classified as "hate" speakers.

Its absolutely tyranical and my bet, the excuse that its because of advertisers pulling funds is smoke and mirrors.

Welcome to the start of the beginning of the end.

If you think this is "conspiracy theory". Then you are either completely ignorant in life, history, and or social and political aspects and you're one of the Useful Idiots. Or you're on their pay roll (or both).

"terrorists hating western societies"

Found the "ignorant" sociopath

ah yes, ignorant. Who was it that drove a truck threw Sweden again? Or any other country for that matter??

I dont think it was a westerner. But who was it again? Oh thats right.. you wont' answer that because stating the truth, to you, is "ignorant".

Guess what? over using words incorrectly doesn't scare me into not speaking. Try again with facts next time. Oh and words that actually are used to mean what they actually mean.

Spewing out a bunch of buzz word bigotry has hit its useful life (i.e. out of date).

ah yes, ignorant. Who was it that drove a truck threw Sweden again?

I dont think it was a westerner. But who was it again? Oh thats right.. you wont' answer that because stating the truth, to you, is "ignorant".

Guess what? over using words incorrectly doesnt scare me into not speaking. Try again with facts next time.

I'm sure your post was a troll because it is full of fail, it can only be one other thing (written by a retard).

You're right. They just hate western freedoms, not bombs and exploitation. Silly me

They just hate western freedoms, not bombs and exploitation
WTF are you talking about?

Since when is driving a truck through the streets, or exploding bombs in civilian areas, in any way anything to do with "freedom" ?

you are delusional.

WTF are you talking about?

Since when is driving a truck through the streets, or exploding bombs in civilian areas, in any way anything to do with "freedom" ?

you are delusional.

So, you know for a fact that every terrorist (the brown ones, at least) hate western freedoms? You must be a psychic or something.

Not sure what kind of person would fall for that type of reasoning but it sounds really fucking dumb to me.

It's meant to discourage / curb content theft by making it unprofitable, not stop it. I thought the headline meant youtube was getting cheap and cutting down on paying out to legitimate creators. Reading the article it turns out it's the opposite.

This is probably the fallout from major advertisers pulling out because their ads were running with terrorists and hate groups, and google had to finally do something about detecting and filtering content.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/23/att-verizon-boycott-google-ads/

It baffles me that these "giants" didn't realize until now how targeted ads work. I still belive this will backfire on them. Meaning their ads will reach much less people. Many content creators with tens of millions of views will have to quit making content because they're not "PC compatible" . People who go for these channels to youtube who have actual opinions and not just some white washed watered down bullcrap will simply abandon the tube. About every channel I regularly view got affected badly by this and by badly I mean ad revenue dropping by 90% for them at least. And the worst of it is that youtube doesn't want you to view videos without ads, so ad disabled videos won't even come up in recommendations.

You're right. They just hate western freedoms, not bombs and exploitation. Silly me

My heart bleeds for the poor exploited peoples of the desert oil countries. The poor bastards who've lived in slavery supporting societies for 1400 years.

Making way for Youtube TV.

Broom the small hobby content creators. Then broom the big ones once the number of content creators is down to a small lot.
Youtube for Big Media and cat videos only.

Back