YouTube TV Pricing Goes Up $5 Per Month Starting Tomorrow

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Do you subscribe to YouTube TV? Of course you don't, but if you did, you would be happy to know that the price for the service is going up by $5, to $40 per month. YouTube announced on its blog on Valentines Day that the change would happen, as the service expands to bring more networks, and more features to more markets.

So if you're interested in YouTube TV today is the last day to sign up before the rate hike happens. It's a neat concept for sure, but I actually pay less for cable bundled with my internet than YouTube TV costs. I'm all about cutting the cord, but right now there really isn't any compelling way to do it and save any money.

I use it and I love it much more than I thought I would. It's so much better than PS Vue that I was using.

Theres far more on TV than I have time to watch, this had no value before, even less now.
TV costs me a bit over £10 a month.

I just signed up for the trial yesterday. They definitely need to keep improving the interface, and the quality was a little lower than I hoped for, but the channel lineup matches my viewing habits fairly well so it might work for me. Wish the trial was longer than 7 days though :-/

I'm all about cutting the cord, but right now there really isn't any compelling way to do it and save any money.
Sure there is:
Don't waste your life watching crap TV. Game instead.

$40/mo can buy, what, a new title every month?
And games engage your brain, instead of (per the old Hulu commercials) reducing it to mush.

I just installed an OTA Antenna and HDHomeRun tuner for my plex server today. Canceled my Tivo service and am going to cancel my cable tomorrow. With all the content on my plex server as well as Netflix and now OTA live TV. I have no need for streaming cable.

I'm signed with Netflix and Amazon Prime...no need for anything else- Hulu, YouTube etc...although YouTube is debuting that new Karate Kid sequel soon :D

I use it and I love it much more than I thought I would. It's so much better than PS Vue that I was using.
I made the same switch, I no longer have buffering issues with live shows. I do prefer the guide in PS VUE though. Also like being able to share with the kids too!

Raising the price + ads will send users back to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or torrents/pirate streaming. $10-15 a month would have made it a better deal if you can tolerate ads. This thing will bomb within a few years unless they offer a no ads plan.

Raising the price + ads will send users back to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or torrents/pirate streaming. $10-15 a month would have made it a better deal if you can tolerate ads. This thing will bomb within a few years unless they offer a no ads plan.

Thats the thing, I pay $120 a month for cable, home phone (yes I use it) and 100Mbps symmetrical fiber.

If I drop the bundle, my internet alone is $80 a month. So I save $40... then spend $11 a month on Netflix to get movies, $12 a month for HULU for TV, and $40 a month for YTTV to get some live programming, and I'm spending more than I am now just keeping cable.

Cord cutting is damn attractive, as I hate commercials, and I like to be able to watch everything when I want to watch it. But nothing really offers all that, and a price that makes it worth dropping cable (yet)

I'm signed with Netflix and Amazon Prime...no need for anything else- Hulu, YouTube etc...although YouTube is debuting that new Karate Kid sequel soon :D

are you two both confusing YouTube TV and Youtube Red? YouTube TV is a tv service with broadcast stations. USA, TNT, TBS, history... This is like directv, Comcast, dish, etc but pure streaming. YouTube Red is a service where you get special YouTube content, no ads, downloading of content, and access to google play music. There are two different things.

I use Hulu Live during football season, but cancel it in between. Haven't found any other options really for that..

Tried YouTube TV for 7 days. Cool, but not enough to keep paying 35 a month. I'll watch the local stations OTA. Netflix and Amazon is enough. I cringe at the ads i was seeing again. My blood pressure was rising lol

Do you subscribe to YouTube TV? Of course you don't, but if you did, you would be happy to know that the price for the service is going up by $5, to $40 per month. YouTube announced on its blog on Valentines Day that the change would happen, as the service expands to bring more networks, and more features to more markets.

So if you're interested in YouTube TV today is the last day to sign up before the rate hike happens. It's a neat concept for sure, but I actually pay less for cable bundled with my internet than YouTube TV costs. I'm all about cutting the cord, but right now there really isn't any compelling way to do it and save any money.

agree, i currently pay 20 bucks a month for basic cable(~140 channels but i only watch 6 of them, lol) and get access to all the major channel VOD streaming services.. hell i even get access to the vods on channels i don't even get in my cable subscription package. the added benefit is that i'm on the west coast which thankfully none of the channels use geo location so i can watch everything on their sites when it's unlocked 3 hours earlier than it airs here. at 40 dollars a month there's absolutely no reason for me to even consider youtube tv.

I'm a fucking middle-aged woman and need my Food Network and HGTV

Also, I got the trial just because why not and somehow can't manage to stream 1080p despite having a gigabit connection. And somehow those 10 seconds it occasionally does manage to stream look like shit.

Also, I got the trial just because why not and somehow can't manage to stream 1080p despite having a gigabit connection. And somehow those 10 seconds it occasionally does manage to stream look like shit.

That and Hallmark is literally the only thing my wife watches (Except on the weekend when we watch Live PD )

YoutubeTV is apparently harder to run than Crysis because anything past 480p just hangs as soon as it attempts to switch resolution.

I can stream 8k videos at 60 fps on Youtube itself with a clarity so stunningly crisp that I can practically see atoms but god have mercy if YoutubeTV tries to render beyond its means of a vile smear.

Oh well.

what does being a woman have to do with watching food network or hgtv?

Thats the thing, I pay $120 a month for cable, home phone (yes I use it) and 100Mbps symmetrical fiber.

If I drop the bundle, my internet alone is $80 a month. So I save $40... then spend $11 a month on Netflix to get movies, $12 a month for HULU for TV, and $40 a month for YTTV to get some live programming, and I'm spending more than I am now just keeping cable.

I wish I had those prices. Every year they hike the price even more.

With COX cable it's 60 down, 5 up, Basic + extended cable and phone for around $170/month. (probably higher after this years price increase)
DRV, cable box, etc. are extra. I just have a single cable card ($2) plugged into the quad tuner on my htpc.

I dropped the phone a couple years ago, which brought it down to $160.

Told them I wanted to cancel my service and they discounted it down to $140.

Have to call and threaten to cancel every year to get the current "discount"

They do have a $90 special with 100mb download, TV & phone for new customers, but after 1 year it jumps to $188.

are you two both confusing YouTube TV and Youtube Red? YouTube TV is a tv service with broadcast stations. USA, TNT, TBS, history... This is like directv, Comcast, dish, etc but pure streaming. YouTube Red is a service where you get special YouTube content, no ads, downloading of content, and access to google play music. There are two different things.
I get that it's cable TV via streaming, but did Google get the memo that it's a dying format regardless of how it's being delivered? Paying to watch ads in 2018? No thanks.

I get that it's cable TV via streaming, but did Google get the memo that it's a dying format regardless of how it's being delivered? Paying to watch ads in 2018? No thanks.

choices man. If you don't want it don't pay for it...

$40/month wtf? Pass. I wont even pay CBS to watch Star Trek what makes Google think I will pay them to watch some pimply faced youth that cant act?

Netflix is cheaper and with Amazon Prime I get video streaming for free. Those two right there cover 99% of what I would watch.

Also I still have cable but thats only because Verizon is stupid. 120/month for 75MB service with cable (total price). Internet without is 150/month for slower...idiots.

$40 would have to bring a ton of value for me to pay. At $40 I would expect everything on demand, no commercials. But I doubt that is a reality. Been thinking of picking up Philo for a while to see if it is worth the $16/mo. I want HBO but I don't think the content is there for the asking price (I don't watch GoT).

YoutubeTV is apparently harder to run than Crysis because anything past 480p just hangs as soon as it attempts to switch resolution.

I can stream 8k videos at 60 fps on Youtube itself with a clarity so stunningly crisp that I can practically see atoms but god have mercy if YoutubeTV tries to render beyond its means of a vile smear.

Oh well.
Same here. I tried several streaming services (DirecTV Now, YoutubeTV, Hulu Live TV) and they all work like garbage -- and it is across platforms, independent of network connection. I've had DirecTV Now since it first came out, so I have all channels for a permanent $35/mo and have kept it. But yea, it seems like these services don't have enough bandwidth on the server side network, mostly during primetime viewing hours. I've used an internet browser to view, roku stick+ to view, apple tv to view, my google pixel phone to view, work pc to view, and I've tried numerous networks (175Mbps home connection, 4G wireless, OC3 work connection, public wifi) -- nothing helps with the buffering or freezing of the streams. And yes, I can do 4K high quality videos all day long on these same devices without ever buffering. It's very frustrating that a medium quality 720p/1080p streaming TV channel can't be streamed reliability by multi-billion dollar companies. What's even funnier is that most pirated IPTV streams can do higher quality without buffering problems.

40? Is that some sort of joke? I pay less than that for telephone + cable TV + Internet combined.

Reactions: Canon
like this
Remember the day, like back in the 80's early 90's , where when you subscribed to "Cable", it was to get content commercial free..

Now, you pay $40, 50.. 60.. or more.. to be bombarded with ads , changing your behavior... molding your kids.. to buy more useless shit.. or get the latest prescription drugs to cure your <insert disease here>... or Trace Adkins asking for your "only $19 a month" for this... or Sarah Mclaughlin needs your $19 a month to save a dog or two...

Remember the day, like back in the 80's early 90's , where when you subscribed to "Cable", it was to get content commercial free..

Now, you pay $40, 50.. 60.. or more.. to be bombarded with ads , changing your behavior... molding your kids.. to buy more useless shit.. or get the latest prescription drugs to cure your <insert disease here>... or Trace Adkins asking for your "only $19 a month" for this... or Sarah Mclaughlin needs your $19 a month to save a dog or two...

Been rewatching MacGyver on Amazon, yeah it's a hilarious but "my childhood"... It's amazing when you realize that back then an hour program had less than 12 minutes of commercials. Can't even get that in a half hour program anymore.

I'll be interested in streaming television when they start supporting surround sound.

The Mrs would agree with you. HGTV and Food Network are what she watches 90% of the time (when golf isn't on... she's really into golf for some reason. I think she has a crush on Jordan and/or Bubba.)

Although... Food Network does have 2 things going for it...

giada-delaurentiis.jpg

$40 A MONTH? HAHAHA Oh man who is going to pay that? Sucker born every moment. That is pure theft.

Back