YouTube TV prices will raise to $50

Me (*):
  • antenna = network TV.
  • Netflix = most things
  • Prime exists, but mostly use it to download stuff to watch when i travel
  • other streaming services (HBO, CBS, Showtime etc) can be picked up for a month adhoc, consume content that interests then cancel after a month..
50/month for streaming is a waste for me.
So me: give me weather (maybe), news channels and I don't know what else. I'm sure it'd be less than 20 channels.

(*)Sadly my current apartment forces comcrap cable on me, which in the last year I think I turned on to catch the Oscars and the weather a few weeks back, though I have used the app to stream the news.

So I can have better streaming channels for $50/month only to blow through my home internet datacap and pay extra on the data consumption. Got it!

That’s beyond stupid.

You mean YouTube TV though, YouTube premium is a different service.
I was just about to go cancel my youtube premium if it was going to $50 bucks a month lol. I use youtube a lot but just for ad free videos not any regular tv stuff.

I had YouTube TV for a while and finally ditched it last month. I just could not stand the fricking ads. They were long and repetitive.
The only ads I get are the ones embedded into the content (aka the exact same ones that I would get with cable). How are you getting other ads? (I usually watch it on my smart TV and I don't have a pi-hole so I am not doing any ad blocking.)

Stupidity Supreme. I better do that free month and catch Cobra Kai before YT folds.

I've been a sub since the early days, was grandfathered into the 35 dollar plan, I'll be leaving now. Just look at the twitter announcement, They are getting slammed!!! It's funny that they try and hype the added Discovery owned channels being great stuff, all it is rehashed BS reality TV that I have no need for. Needless to say I'll save my bandwidth and go back to OTA and other forms for my minimal fix. Funny thing is they offer multiple "add ons" and that is how this should have been offerd.

We have YouTube tv and Philo. YouTube TV gets me all the sports channels I need plus our local channels (something no other internet tv provided does). Philo offers what’s missing that my wife watches. Mostly HGTV and Food network. This change works out great for us since we can just cancel Philo now.

We could get a lot more from Charter. We could get dozens more channels, and a dvr in every room with slightly less annoying ads. But the lowest price we could manage, even with a new customer deal, is still over $150. Not to mention that their DVR interface looks like it’s from 1997 and is 1/2 step above the look of a MSDos prompt. It has a fat ad banner at the bottom that you can’t get rid of either.

I’m fine the $10 increase. Let’s also not forget that Reddit will find a reason to bitch about anything. For the last 6 months there has been thread after thread of people wanting Viacom channels, Food Network, and HGTV. Now they get some of that and want to burn down Google because it’s $10 more a month.

Just stop watching TV altogether. It is only a bunch of remakes and mixing of two ideas into one show that has been seen before.

Pretty much. I miss 90's sitcoms like Home Improvement & Married with Children. Good wholesome fun. TV is terrible these days.

Partly why i buy physical media for shows i really like on Blu-Ray if they're available. No worries about bandwidth, caps, or such usually. To be fair, i do have some shows on Netflix i watch, but not enough of them to run into data caps.

No worries, adding OWN and Deadliest Catch more than make up for the increase. What a joke.

Youtube TV costs me 50 a month now, DirecTV would cost me 120ish with tax. I don't like that the new channels are not optional, along with the price hike.

We have YouTube tv and Philo. YouTube TV gets me all the sports channels I need plus our local channels (something no other internet tv provided does). Philo offers what’s missing that my wife watches. Mostly HGTV and Food network. This change works out great for us since we can just cancel Philo now.

We could get a lot more from Charter. We could get dozens more channels, and a dvr in every room with slightly less annoying ads. But the lowest price we could manage, even with a new customer deal, is still over $150. Not to mention that their DVR interface looks like it’s from 1997 and is 1/2 step above the look of a MSDos prompt. It has a fat ad banner at the bottom that you can’t get rid of either.

I’m fine the $10 increase. Let’s also not forget that Reddit will find a reason to bitch about anything. For the last 6 months there has been thread after thread of people wanting Viacom channels, Food Network, and HGTV. Now they get some of that and want to burn down Google because it’s $10 more a month.

We still need both YTTV + Philo in the household here due to Viacom channels and A&E stuff (Lifetime, LMN, etc..)

Spectrum is offering an a la carte streaming service in my area. Don't remember the details, but it was reasonable

To me this seems like collusion, not unlike we saw in the RAM market and traditionally in the Gas prices - no one 'lowers' prices to put pressure on the competitor .

Instead we get a leak of a possible rate hike to test waters, then one raises prices (you tube direct tv now hulu) then the others follow suit ..they all win the consumer loses . These were like thirtyish dollars two years ago - so closer to double.

The cell phone mfgs are currently doing this also ..do they make products better ? They definitely load a new gimmick and it seems more proprietary and less serviceable and raise the MSRP . The S5 and V20 were the last phones made for the 'consumer' .

Big cable got too greedy with years of price gauging ..even to day it seems more is spent on marketing rather than innovation. Big cable and cable box mfg have done everything to marginalize tivo , home run , windows media and capture cards - they scramble everything now except infomercials and broadcast tv ..it used to be only pay services ..to keep dependance on the cable decoder box. On top of the box fees some are charging 'dvr access fees' to boot .

Kenny

Just take up a different Hobby same thing with Cell Phone subs that are beyond the reach of most people even though most people own phones.

Just take up a different Hobby same thing with Cell Phone subs that are beyond the reach of most people even though most people own phones.

What is a cellphone sub? You mean like a service subscription?

I swear if TIVO was smart they would work to get their own integrated internet TV service with thier guide and one pass abilites?? Right now I use an over the air bolt I got on clearance - Direct TV now is my source -with Playon I can set up subscriptions to everything I want on live and cable tv then save it off to a Plex drive and pick and and choose with my Bolt. I don;t need to worry about OTA I get those with the bolt and only get the cable/hbo I want. Best thing about playon is it is portable. I can save off to my surface and watch movies on the plane etc.

What if find the most boggling is how live TV is more expensive. Live TV should be the cheapest to distribute because you can multicast it to everyone. On demand type content including the free youtube is the most expensive because everyone can be watching it at different times meaning just about every stream is independent and cannot be replicated.

Also here we go with bundling again.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I stopped paying for cable years back.

When it got to a point where I was paying 1800 bucks a year not counting my internet.... and come the NHL playoffs I STILL wasn't paying enough. I tapped out. (that was my tipping point... when Rodgers won the NHL TV rights in Canada and come the playoffs they played entire local team games on the premium channel only. Which of course the local cable company only offered in a $20 sports pacakge... F them)

I feel ZERO guilt downloading a few Linux isos now and then... and really most of my bandwidth is actual Linux ISOs anyway. lol

I stopped paying for cable years back.

When it got to a point where I was paying 1800 bucks a year not counting my internet.... and come the NHL playoffs I STILL wasn't paying enough. I tapped out. (that was my tipping point... when Rodgers won the NHL TV rights in Canada and come the playoffs they played entire local team games on the premium channel only. Which of course the local cable company only offered in a $20 sports pacakge... F them)

I feel ZERO guilt downloading a few Linux isos now and then... and really most of my bandwidth is actual Linux ISOs anyway. lol

I used to have NBA League Pass and cable. I cut cable and the NBA League Pass wouldn't show locally played games which was infuriating. I ended up finding a streaming site where I had to pay (but I think it was technically illegal too) and the service was MUCH better. I stopped caring about basketball though since it was such a drag to try and watch games going through these loopholes.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
so wait a minute.... we're going to charge cable company prices without cable company physical distribution costs OVER MANY OF THE SAME WIRES THAT THE CABLE COMPANY USES TO DISTRIBUTE CABLE TV??

G-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-D

Hello old friend.

AJoH1cS.jpg

I feel we've come full circle, unfortunately. Like the comic above ^
people cut the cord, cable providers will just charge more for broadband.
greedy networks losing viewership through traditional ways, just jack up the prices for companies wanting to stream the content.
consumer will suffer once again.

I feel we've come full circle, unfortunately. Like the comic above ^
people cut the cord, cable providers will just charge more for broadband.
greedy networks losing viewership through traditional ways, just jack up the prices for companies wanting to stream the content.
consumer will suffer once again.

This is correct. The way I think this goes is that the heads of these various companies seek to maintain their same margins even though a massive hole has been blown in their business models, via piracy, and they are not smart enough to come up with a coherent answer to this other than to sue their own "customers" or even seek to incarcerate them if possible (depending on where you are). Piracy exposes the real costs associated with distribution... and they are far less than what should be ordinarily charged - these prices are held up by price fixing/cartels at various points in the logistical/supply chain. They are entirely too accustomed to living on the easy money gravy train and when their gravy train is threatened they lash out like spoiled children. BTW a recession accelerates this.

Additionally, with no coherent anti-trust enforcement (i.e. the same enforcement that has been generally co-opted or otherwise bought off) to regulate the various entertainment (and other) cartels then these same cartels are generally allowed a "my way or the highway" relationship with their customers..... Evidence of this is easily found when you look at historic customer satisfaction surveys conducted among customers of companies like Comcast and AT&T.

A large number of companies in the US simply need to be broken up - there is entirely too much centralization of resources, power and influence and relatively few companies have what would otherwise be considered "real" competitors. This will, obviously, never happen so either one of a few things occurs:

1) Systemic collapse
2) Perpetual dystopian hell hole where corporate cartels get to dictate the terms to their "customers" (i.e. the corporate overlord scenario) a.k.a. Government, Inc.
3) A combination of the above two

Just my $0.02

This is why I never made the jump to switch to streaming. Because it was going to go right up once people started jumping in on the bandwagon. I only pay $108 for DTV for 6 TVs and their middle/high package. Why pay $50 plus for 1-2 TVs of streaming at once, and using your internet, and slow down your internet to just watch TV vs a normal TV service which leaves your internet alone. No thanks. I'll stay with my DTV.

You guys are making the TV license fee @ £154/yr in the UK seem cheap as nuts!

That, converted to US$, is probably close to what I pay PER MONTH for everything associated with TV entertainment... crappy 30Mb/s down internet, satellite TV with one premium channel, NetFlix, and Amazon Prime. We have cheap crap from China, though.

The what?
To watch TV channels in the UK you need to purchase a TV license every year.
Mine is updated automatically.
It doesnt include broadband, just the right to view free to air, satellite etc. but there is a fair choice of viewing.

To watch TV channels in the UK you need to purchase a TV license every year.
Mine is updated automatically.
It doesnt include broadband, just the right to view free to air, satellite etc. but there is a fair choice of viewing.
So they charge a tax for over the air broadcasts? That sounds...lame...

Most Muricans don't realize it yet, but they are being taxed for this stuff as well, it just comes in the form of property tax measures and "administrative fees" that get tagged onto the original "Only 50$ a month!* for the first year then its 200 a month with a 500$ early termination fee". Its typical Murican humor style to up talk all the silly fees people pay in other countries while glossing over what we pay in general. Makes forking over 1000-2000$ in a year for TV services here in the US not seem so bad...

And before someone says "just get an antennae" its easier said than done. Getting good signal in many areas is not possible in the US because of distance to tower issues... where as in the UK, a company can provide antennae service to all the islands with just a few large towers.

Speak for yourself. Not all of us lack morals.
Morals aside, I don't get the outrage. It's like people think they have to have every fucking service at the same time. Sheesh. Get a service when you run out of content, switch. Or switch every month.

I get it that some people need everything. I can't even imagine what my dad pays/month, because he seems to get every freaking channel there is on DirectTV, but if it was me, I'd at most get HBO for a few months, then I'd get Starz at some point then maybe there'd be something on ShowTime, but I don't need every one of them...and most of the time, I dont' need any of them, because I'm not going to pay 10 bucks (or more) each month for a channel I'm not watching.

But this is [H] where people complain that Blu Ray costs too much. Tell them a few months later it will be 40% off and they say I only want it right now.

They complain about movie theater prices. Tell them they can rent it for a buck in a few months and they complain they want it for a buck right now.

Tell them they can pay 20/month and see 3 movies/week and they'll complain there are no good movies.

This is the world of [H]ard Forums

So I can have better streaming channels for $50/month only to blow through my home internet datacap and pay extra on the data consumption. Got it!

And that is why you use an ISP that doesn't have a data cap... MWAHAHAHAHA!

I switch back and forth pretty much every year because I get a deal for a year and then the company I am with raises the price because the deal is up. Then when I call them to say I am switching because I can get service for whatever the other company is offering, they pretty much blow me off until I call to disconnect which is right after the other company has hooked up their service.

Been doing this for years now. Up to about $50 a month for 200/50 with no caps. Last year it was $35 for 100/25 and that had caps.

Hoping by the time that my current deal is up that 1Gb Google or AT&T Fiber will be finally available.

Spectrum is offering an a la carte streaming service in my area. Don't remember the details, but it was reasonable
It looks reasonable until the bill comes and the taxes and broadcasting fees and other misc charges that bring it up to about $45 bucks same as everywhere else. The a la carte one that starts at $15 bucks probably ends up being $30-40, but it's a handful of channels (that you get to pick, at least) without DVR. It's a decent option, but it's not as inexpensive as the ads make it seem.

Back