cageymaru

Fully [H]
YouTube TV Program Manager Ben Moores has announced that the TV streaming service has expanded nationwide with added coverage in 95 more markets. After launching the service 2 years ago, YouTube TV now covers 98% of the United States. The company has signed deals to provide "complete local affiliate coverage by providing local feeds from the four largest broadcasters in over 90 percent of the markets where YouTube TV is available." YouTube TV costs $40 a month and offers over 60 networks including ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and popular cable networks. It is popular with cord-cutters who prefer cheaper internet streaming services over Cable TV.

Since YouTube TV's early days, it's been important for us to create an experience that brings you the best of your favorite TV content. As part of that effort, we've offered local feeds from broadcasters, allowing you to catch up with the content that matters to you. With this national expansion, we're providing complete local affiliate coverage by providing local feeds from the four largest broadcasters in over 90 percent of the markets where YouTube TV is available. Here's what this means: more game-winners from your hometown favorite, more breaking news and stories you need to know, and overall, a more relevant TV experience.

I have had it since day one and love it. The unlimited DVR is great. The video quality is better than my local cable provider. Also since I was a customer when the price was lower they still honor my lower price. Great service.

sounds like the hulu package we use. Anyone compare the services?
I do like the Youtube TV app BUT... My god the effing commercials. Sometimes you can fast forward sometimes you cannot. During the NFL Patriots game this past Sunday. Every time there was a commercial break I have to sit and double tap 4 to 5 times to get past commercials. It's annoying.

i guess i dont live in the 98%

I am questioning the 98% as well.

upload_2019-1-23_11-39-45.png

Maybe they jumped the gun, my location was added according to their updated FAQ but was not recognizing any of my zipcodes when attempting to start a free trial.

Not giving a nickle to Alphabet. Nope, not going to happen. They are already making a butt load off our data they collect. Now they want us to pay them, while they gather more data to make more money. No way, not going to happen!

Is that what Youtube was spamming with last night with the top half of the screen telling me I can even get a student rate for 5.99. Like ummmm Google be spying on my Amazon prime account?

And still no TiVo app, so I'm not interested. Yes, I know I could use another box to stream it, but I don't want more crap with its own remote attached to my TV.

My wife and I were talking last night about what we pay for "watching TV". And compared to CABLE service we really are not paying for much. Amazon prime and DirectTV NOW service. We decided to drop both. I wanted FoxNews and that is part of the reason we got DirectTV Now. I never watch it. She watches HGTV and the Food network mainly. But she is pretty tired of it being 90% reruns.
For myself it is more or less an early onset of the old man factor. I really do not identify with the culture at all now. What is called entertainment I find mostly objectionable.

OH, and "You kids get out of my yard!!!"

Last edited:
Former YouTubeTV user here.

Reasons I stopped using it:
1. Cannot fast forward commercials on "DVR" recordings (read as: On Demand) on any CBS, FOX, FX shows.
2. Missing all Travel Channel/HGTV/DIY channels.

I'm using Playstation VUE now, though it's UI sucks compared to YouTubeTV, I get a lot more channels and don't have to sit thru ads on practically anything. Well worth the switch for me.

Former YouTubeTV user here.

Reasons I stopped using it:
1. Cannot fast forward commercials on "DVR" recordings (read as: On Demand) on any CBS, FOX, FX shows.
2. Missing all Travel Channel/HGTV/DIY channels.

I'm using Playstation VUE now, though it's UI sucks compared to YouTubeTV, I get a lot more channels and don't have to sit thru ads on practically anything. Well worth the switch for me.

I didn't know about number 1. That sucks.

Roku is suppose to offer an a la carte cable channel streaming service soon. That might be a viable alternative.

are any of these streaming services such as YouTube TV or DirectTV Now better then something like FiOS?...I currently have FiOS and even though they are not what they once were in terms of picture quality I find it hard to believe that YouTube TV is better...I'm a videophile so image quality is important to me...does YouTube TV broadcast in 1080p?

I made the switch to YouTube TV when I cut the cord upon my return trip from overseas near the end of last year. I'm pretty pleased with it, though initially I had a lot of buffering issues, as if the packets just outright dropped. At one point, they credited me $10 off my following bill due to some issues that I was having. In the end, I figured it came down to how my network was setup. Since then, I haven't had problems over the past month or so. One of the things that I really liked was how I could give access to my folks' at their house so that they can use the service also (5 or 6 accounts?) on their own account. I don't have any extra add-ons, and perhaps the biggest reason why I initially went with YouTube TV was because I still do care about accessibility of my local channels and just didn't want to deal with switching over to the HD antenna on another input.

Doesn't have the channel "ID" which is 75% of what my wife watches. Or to be more specific, it's what she has on 75% of the time while shes browsing her phone and seemingly not paying any attention to what's on the TV.

are any of these streaming services such as YouTube TV or DirectTV Now better then something like FiOS?...I currently have FiOS and even though they are not what they once were in terms of picture quality I find it hard to believe that YouTube TV is better...I'm a videophile so image quality is important to me...does YouTube TV broadcast in 1080p?
Some are 1080, some are 720. While I cant compare to other services, quality isn't the best. It was about the same as my old cable service though (Spectrum). Its do-able but netflix and amazon have higher quality streams. Of course, live encoding is a lot harder than pre-rendered. FWIW, delay between my old cable service was about 20 seconds, if that matters to you.
Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, quality is fairly good. For some reason the Samsung TV app, only displays 720p and remember my other Dumb TV's Roku Express's 1080p looked far better. I watch mostly on my Samsung TV in my office. Netflix will stream 1080p (too cheap to pay for 4k for 1 tv) and Prime in 4k where available (Grand Tour baby, lol).

IIRC, I'm still grandfathered in at the old $35 price which was much more attractive. Wonder when it'll increase, if ever... its been almost a year, lol.

Last edited:
Some are 1080, some are 720. While I cant compare to other services, quality isn't the best. It was about the same as my old cable service though (Spectrum). Its do-able but netflix and amazon have higher quality streams. Of course, live encoding is a lot harder than pre-rendered. FWIW, delay between my old cable service was about 20 seconds, if that matters to you.
Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, quality is fairly good. For some reason the Samsung TV app, only displays 720p and remember my other Dumb TV's Roku Express's 1080p looked far better. I watch mostly on my Samsung TV in my office. Netflix will stream 1080p (too cheap to pay for 4k for 1 tv) and Prime in 4k where available (Grand Tour baby, lol).

IIRC, I'm still grandfathered in at the old $35 price which was much more attractive. Wonder when it'll increase, if ever... its been almost a year, lol.

these Live TV streaming services like YouTube TV, Hulu etc compete based on price but I don't think the picture quality is there yet to match traditional cable...

I live in the middle of podunk nowhere and I am a part of the 98%. This is the first internet based tv service that has had local channels. I'm giving it a shot, if its good im going to ditch my antenna TiVo and SlingTv. I've been waiting a really long time for local channels to be available through a streaming tv service, this is huge for me.

My wife and I were talking last night about what we pay for "watching TV". And compared to CABLE service we really are not paying for much. Amazon prime and DirectTV NOW service. We decided to drop both. I wanted FoxNews and that is part of the reason we got DirectTV Now. I never watch it. She watches HGTV and the Food network mainly. But she is pretty tired of it being 90% reruns.
For myself it is more or less an early onset of the old man factor. I really do not identify with the culture at all now. What is called entertainment I find mostly objectionable.

OH, and "You kids get out of my yard!!!"
Not sure if you have tried OTA TV. I don't watch a lot of TV - was surprised when I saw how many channels we get. The PBS channels have stuff your wife might like. I'm using an HD HomeRun to stream to different sets - still experimenting with a DVR solution.

pfft, i guess those scumbag monkeys would be better off peddling their services in some place more in tune with their values, like fucking china for example.

Back