YouTube Tops 1 Billion Hours of Video a Day

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I believe it—I just don’t understand it. What are people watching? I know some people who are literally on YouTube for 24/7, even though I’m pretty sure it’s not the only site on the Internet.

…people around the world are now watching a billion hours of YouTube’s incredible content every single day! Let’s put that in perspective. If you were to sit and watch a billion hours of YouTube, it would take you over 100,000 years. 100,000 years ago, our ancestors were crafting stone tools and migrating out of Africa while mammoths and mastodons roamed the Earth. If you spent 100,000 years traveling at the speed of light, you could travel from one end of the Milky Way to the other (and you wouldn’t age a day!). And if you searched for 100,000 years on YouTube, you’d find a really killer KISS track.

I'd dare say a lot of people are just downloading videos (music, films, and series, you know...YARRRRRGHH!).

I probably watch about 2-3 hours a day while working. I listen to tutorials, product reviews, style guides, sermons etc.
It's on-demand education and entertainment that helps the day go by faster.

YouTube is "Video Google" for me now, how do I change the headlight on my particular model truck? Boom, 10 different people showing me how. What is this squeaking from my Washing Machine? There we go, and the fix..and the link to the part. New drone? How does Half Life 2 run at 4K with a 980 Ti on Wednesdays....etc......but my kids sit on Youtube like its a cable channel, watching while they do other things, and I've got the bandwidth meter to prove it. :p

Those video loops I get stuck in are no joke... I start off watching a blacksmith video and then end on a video of a goat bouncing around kicking his buddies over.... I don't know why I keep watching... It just happens.

Although I don't watch a lot of TV, I actually find myself substituting YouTube for TV before bedtime, because there's not much of anything I like to watch these days.
There's a couple of Vloggers that I like to watch (nobody popular - which is probably why I like them).

But yeah, then there's downloading music videos, tutorials, etc etc etc.

i listen to a lot of music on youtube for albums i do not feel like downloading to my drives, and they probably consider that watching videos. I'm sure i'm not the only one doing this. Plus i need to get some bloody ufc knockouts in here and there.

I believe it—I just don’t understand it. What are people watching? I know some people who are literally on YouTube for 24/7, even though I’m pretty sure it’s not the only site on the Internet.

…people around the world are now watching a billion hours of YouTube’s incredible content every single day! Let’s put that in perspective. If you were to sit and watch a billion hours of YouTube, it would take you over 100,000 years. 100,000 years ago, our ancestors were crafting stone tools and migrating out of Africa while mammoths and mastodons roamed the Earth. If you spent 100,000 years traveling at the speed of light, you could travel from one end of the Milky Way to the other (and you wouldn’t age a day!). And if you searched for 100,000 years on YouTube, you’d find a really killer KISS track.

I think you misunderstand the concept of light speed vs aging. You don't stop aging just because you're traveling at light speed, from your perspective you'd still age at the same rate, 100.000 years would still make you 100.000 years older. Only depending on how close you actually get to light speed relative to earth one day for you could literally mean 100.000 years on earth.

YouTube is "Video Google" for me now, how do I change the headlight on my particular model truck? Boom, 10 different people showing me how. What is this squeaking from my Washing Machine? There we go, and the fix..and the link to the part. New drone? How does Half Life 2 run at 4K with a 980 Ti on Wednesdays....etc......but my kids sit on Youtube like its a cable channel, watching while they do other things, and I've got the bandwidth meter to prove it. :p
Youtube actually has better content than most cable channels with their fake controversy and fake tension realities.

between finding new music, watching hickok play with new guns, or how to do something in pcb layout software to as mentioned quick car fixes or "how the F do I get to that sensor?", I use it a lot.

I can get behind the 'video google' term, most times it is faster than using google only to end up at a youtube link.

Youtube likes to toot their own horn. What they are not telling you is that most of that video is buried and we only see a small part of what was uploaded. Try this. Search for anything. Always ends on page 31 of your search - always. Used to be page 36 but now it is page 31. Suspicious? Damn right it is.

Impressed that youtube can keep adding enough storage space to keep up with the amount of uploads every hour.

Since I don't have cable I'm either on Netflix or YouTube... "Vlogs" has my attention

surprised anyone on a tech site would be surprised by this. There is literally content for every interest, however niche it is. Surprised we dont have [H]ard Video Reviews. That is, reviews of hardware that are recorded, not reviews of videos. ;)

what people are watching?? kind of strange question! more and more i watch more youtube than tv. whole day! youtubers!

Back