YouTube Stars Blindsided By Nintendo's Ad Revenue Grab

Why are you using 6.8 for WiiU sales when it's 9.2 for end of FY 2014. Using that with your other numbers gives 25%.

I know a few people like myself that watch streams play games before buying them. When it is a game I am on the fence about, I always watch some streams before buying it. Watching people play a game is a lot more useful to me compared to reading a review.

Streamers can still stream. You can watch plenty of Nintendo games on twitch right now. This program only effect people monetizing videos on Youtube.

Streamers can still stream. You can watch plenty of Nintendo games on twitch right now. This program only effect people monetizing videos on Youtube.

Until Nintendo realizes that nearly every streamer with a good viewer base is also monetizing their videos...

Until Nintendo realizes that nearly every streamer with a good viewer base is also monetizing their videos...

Streams are a newish thing. I see Twitch fighting back against a program like that myself, unlike Google who just wants to not rock the boat by going along with Nintendo.

Youtubers will just stop playing their games and Nintendo loses a shitload of free advertising.

Don't in some industries, companies will actually PAY you to use their products in your videos, movies, shows? Goes to show how greedy Nintendo is being.

Youtubers will just stop playing their games and Nintendo loses a shitload of free advertising.

Don't in some industries, companies will actually PAY you to use their products in your videos, movies, shows? Goes to show how greedy Nintendo is being.

In the video game industry, some companies pay popular YouTube personalities to give their game's coverage. Nintendo is literally charging people for YouTube coverage that some other companies pay for.

All I see here is yet another drum for the anti-Nintendo crowd to beat. Always something to bitch about.

All I see here is yet another drum for the anti-Nintendo crowd to beat. Always something to bitch about.

I don't get people who complain about other people complaining. You can just not enter the thread you know lol.

Funny, I don't see any anti-Nintendo crowd here. Mostly fans who are upset that Nintendo is being a complete dick to their fan base.

Nintendo could learn a thing or two from Blizzard, I believe part of Hearthstone's huge success is the amount of coverage they got on Twitch and subsequently Youtube. Each of these twitch streamers get up to 20k viewers on a daily basis. Blizzard even pays for some of these streamers to fly out to their tournaments to help promote their game. It seems like Nintendo wants to do the complete opposite.

No, not in movies or TV.

Most of the time unless you're going out of your way to whore the product out, you don't get paid. In fact, if the property is currently not for sale in stores, you can be damn sure you have to pay a licensing fee to use it in your production. Just see the problems expected to plague the movie adaptation of "Ready Player One," a geek throwback story that includes detailed accounts of hundreds of copyrighted works, most of which are essential for weaving the storyline:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiver...-adaptation-of-geek-centric-ready-player-one/

Tell me, if you called up Williams right now and told them you wanted a 5 minute scene in the movie featuring two people just playing Joust, would you expect therm to say "hey, no charge?" Or would you expect them to say "SHOW ME THE MONEY?"

I know which one everyone is expecting to hear. One of the reasons why I's going to be hard to actually get the movie made.

Nintendo could learn a thing or two from Blizzard, I believe part of Hearthstone's huge success is the amount of coverage they got on Twitch and subsequently Youtube. Each of these twitch streamers get up to 20k viewers on a daily basis. Blizzard even pays for some of these streamers to fly out to their tournaments to help promote their game. It seems like Nintendo wants to do the complete opposite.

Nintendo has people in charge that sees the company revenue going way down and they are looking for ways to recover it. They see other people making money as them losing money, which isn't the correct approach for the current digital world. for example they had originally planned to block EVO 2013 from streaming the Smash Bros tournament, and it took a massive backlash before they reverse that decision. Tons of people watch EVO and the tournament was great for building hype towards Wii-U Smash. Nintendo should have gone out of their way to support EVO playing their old game, however their first thought was to block people from seeing the games at all.

I like fighting games and EVO but that crowd is not Nintendo's primary audience, parents buying games for their kids, at all. Smash really is barely a fighting game anyway.

Doesn't help that they're splitting it between Melee and 4.

What do you know about Nintendo's revenue? Do you have access to their finances or are you making assumptions based on the fact that the Wii U hasn't sold well.

People bitch about everything they do and proclaim it spells the end for Nintendo. Like the deluge of tears witnessed when it became known that the New 3DS wouldn't include an AC adapter. Yet it still outsold the PS4 and XB1. Nintendo is going to be fine.

What do you know about Nintendo's revenue? Do you have access to their finances or are you making assumptions based on the fact that the Wii U hasn't sold well.

People bitch about everything they do and proclaim it spells the end for Nintendo. Like the deluge of tears witnessed when it became known that the New 3DS wouldn't include an AC adapter. Yet it still outsold the PS4 and XB1. Nintendo is going to be fine.
To be fair selling a device with no power adapter was kind of a dick move.

No the 3DS family in conjunction with the New 3DSXL outsold them in a historically low sales month of February. I didn't really care about the whole exclusion of the AC adapter tbh.

Nintendo has done that everywhere else in the world so doing it in the US isn't a huge deal to me. Especially when it costs like 8 dollars, though a mini USB charging port would have been nice but whatever.

No the 3DS family in conjunction with the New 3DSXL outsold them in a historically low sales month of February. I didn't really care about the whole exclusion of the AC adapter tbh.

Nintendo has done that everywhere else in the world so doing it in the US isn't a huge deal to me. Especially when it costs like 8 dollars, though a mini USB charging port would have been nice but whatever.
It's not the racehorse that the DS Lite was, but it's selling comparably to the GBA.

They're doing just fine in the mobile world, because they're the only place to get physical controls and deeper games on a portable device.

I can't get into anything as complicated as an RPG on my S4 thanks to the limited control schemes awailble, but I have tons of them on my 3ds.

They're succeeding where Sony screwed the pooch, winning in the smartphone era.

It's not the racehorse that the DS Lite was, but it's selling comparably to the GBA.

They're doing just fine in the mobile world, because they're the only place to get physical controls and deeper games on a portable device.

I can't get into anything as complicated as an RPG on my S4 thanks to the limited control schemes awailble, but I have tons of them on my 3ds.

They're succeeding where Sony screwed the pooch, winning in the smartphone era.

Yep I love my 3DS (I didn't upgrade to the New 3DS), my Vita is a remote play device and PS1 classic machine. Sony screwed up with their pricing and mainly the memory cards. The cost of entry was way too high, I doubt they try another handheld for awhile.

Nintendo is a publicly held company.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason Nintendo is doing this is because they do realize that streams with a good viewer base monetize their videos.

Why are you using 6.8 for WiiU sales when it's 9.2 for end of FY 2014. Using that with your other numbers gives 25%.

I posted the link, they reported by January 2015 that they had shipped 6.8m WiiU units, LTD.

So in these years they shipped 6.8 and you will now claim that in a couple months they needed to ship 35% more total units to meet the future demand? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wii U is at 18%, and again, that is shipped.

Saying they are entitled to compensation is like saying Paramount should have gotten a cut of siskel and eberts reviews. This is an example of IP overreach. They should take their video game money and be happy.

Reviews using game footage don't fall under the scenarios that Nintendo wants a cut from. It is full-on let's play videos where you see the game being played uninterrupted for extended periods of time.

Your analogy would make sense if Paramount was asking for a cut of Siskel and Ebert talking over an entire movie from start to finish, and in that case they would actually be entitled to a cut from licensing.

I don't entirely agree that Nintendo is doing the right thing, but your analogy doesn't work.

I posted the link, they reported by January 2015 that they had shipped 6.8m WiiU units, LTD.

So in these years they shipped 6.8 and you will now claim that in a couple months they needed to ship 35% more total units to meet the future demand? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wii U is at 18%, and again, that is shipped.

They're at 9.2 mil. shipped, at the end of Dec 2014. I'm sorry you've been found to be lying. Maybe you should use better site then lolgaf?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1412.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

They're at 9.2 mil. shipped, at the end of Dec 2014. I'm sorry you've been found to be lying. Maybe you should use better site then lolgaf?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1412.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

neogaf is tracking the same numbers as of December, 9.2 million shopping with general consensus being 8.9/9 million sold.

If anything you probably can't find better sales analysis than what can be found there so long as you follow the whole conversation.

The only concern I have is that saying 28, 18, etc percentage of the market is misleading. The way it's being argued makes it seem like it will stay there and it's not.

You have to break it down into monthly sales over the years.

Wii U averages 97k a month, the other two are averaging 200+ sometimes much more in the PS4s case. Month in and month out and it has been consistent since release.

neogaf is tracking the same numbers as of December, 9.2 million shopping with general consensus being 8.9/9 million sold.

If anything you probably can't find better sales analysis than what can be found there so long as you follow the whole conversation.

The only concern I have is that saying 28, 18, etc percentage of the market is misleading. The way it's being argued makes it seem like it will stay there and it's not.

You have to break it down into monthly sales over the years.

Wii U averages 97k a month, the other two are averaging 200+ sometimes much more in the PS4s case. Month in and month out and it has been consistent since release.

Yup, this is the reality: today they're over 20% market share. By 2017-18, they will be approaching 10%, assuming they don't release the NX in 2016 with:

(1) full Wii U compatibility, but with that stupid Gamepad not included to reduce costs
(2) $250 or less launch pricetag
(3) better performance than a PS4.
(4) Zelda open world as the launch title, and unlike Twilight Princiess this one is actually made to take advantage of the NX improved specs!

They already released their system seller properties this year. They made a dent in the previously sunken Wii U sales, but didn't turn the PS4 tide.

ROFL. Nintendo is going to turn a higher profit this year than they did in 2010, when they were making double the revenue off the Wii's infinite sales. WiiU sales are up 50% FY 2013 to FY 2014.

This is no where near the position they had in the Gamecube days, where they had to drop the price to 99 USD to get 10% market share at the end. They're sitting at 28% market share at 300 USD right now with a great attach rate.

They're not winning, but they're not going to die off. People have been saying that for almost two decades. :rolleyes:

This is my understanding as well. And I heard their new handheld is doing fairly well in terms of sales. Nintendo lives in a protected bubble where getting in early and past fandom/nostalgia can carry the day for them far easier than other companies. The proper response to them trying to get cash grabs on the youtube coverage of others is to simply refuse to cover them. That will not kill nintendo, but no one ever said there had to be a penalty in life for being a jerk and asshole. Sometimes there is no penalty (i.e. Steve Jobs).

This is my understanding as well. And I heard their new handheld is doing fairly well in terms of sales. Nintendo lives in a protected bubble where getting in early and past fandom/nostalgia can carry the day for them far easier than other companies. The proper response to them trying to get cash grabs on the youtube coverage of others is to simply refuse to cover them. That will not kill nintendo, but no one ever said there had to be a penalty in life for being a jerk and asshole. Sometimes there is no penalty (i.e. Steve Jobs).

That's pretty much my stance, just refuse to cover them until the policy changes. I think it's a dick move, but their product, their choice. Eventually other streamers will grow tired of putting up with their nonsense add well and move on. There are to many great games out there to tolerate one company having policies that don't benefit you as a content creator. One of two things will happen: Nintendo will look at the success other gaming companies get out of it and rescind the policy, or they will continue not caring and keep it in place. It isn't going to make or break them by any stretch. It's just a matter of if they want to be on board the advertising medium of the upcoming generations or not.

advertising medium of the upcoming generations

My sides have escaped orbit. When the current crop of high schoolers have to go to college or get a job, they won't be watching Angry Joe anymore.

You can type in any 1st party Nintendo game and find a Let's Play of it up. You can go to the LParchive link I gave and see people making Nintendo content right now.

My sides have escaped orbit. When the current crop of high schoolers have to go to college or get a job, they won't be watching Angry Joe anymore.

You can type in any 1st party Nintendo game and find a Let's Play of it up. You can go to the LParchive link I gave and see people making Nintendo content right now.

Never said that wasn't true currently. However if Nintendo keeps walking down this path you will see fewer and fewer quality vids. Sure there will always be cramp one's who don't put ant production value into it. But the people who are stitching to produce content around it will ultimately drop companies like Nintendo who want to take a rather large cut off already meager profits. If you think the videos regularly making real money see just pure profit, you salt have no idea how much time and money goes into making it good.

My sides have escaped orbit. When the current crop of high schoolers have to go to college or get a job, they won't be watching Angry Joe anymore
Nah, they won't be able to afford college and there won't be any jobs.

Man, I have got to stop posting from my phone late at night. so many typos Lol.

Yup, this is the reality: today they're over 20% market share. By 2017-18, they will be approaching 10%, assuming they don't release the NX in 2016 with:

(1) full Wii U compatibility, but with that stupid Gamepad not included to reduce costs
(2) $250 or less launch pricetag
(3) better performance than a PS4.
(4) Zelda open world as the launch title, and unlike Twilight Princiess this one is actually made to take advantage of the NX improved specs!

They already released their system seller properties this year. They made a dent in the previously sunken Wii U sales, but didn't turn the PS4 tide.

1) Full Wii U compatibility requires the gamepad. It is absolutely essential for existing games like Captain Toad and the upcoming Splatoon.
2) That would be cool.
3) I don't think so for reasons I'll get to
4) Mayyyybe, but we'll see. I think it'll be Wii U exclusive because the NX will be such a departure from the Wii U.

Here's what I think will drive the design of the NX:

• Nintendo still dominates the handheld console space, even in their native Japan where consoles are so dead that even the PS4 is a flop.
  • Nintendo solved lag and latency free video streaming from the console to the Wii U gamepad. It is flawless.
  • Games like Smash for Wii U/3DS, graphics and physical controls aside, are identical in feel and gameplay. Its crazy good.
  • Mobile hardware is getting incredibly powerful and doubling in performance year-over-year. The graphics performance in the iPad Air 2 is currently faster than prior-gen consoles, and again, this doubles YoY.

Because of all this, I believe that Nintendo's next step in 2017 will be to unify their mobile and TV platforms into one system. Mobile and TV games will be one and the same. I think Smash 4 was a successful proof of concept for this. It will target roughly Wii U level graphics, 1080p 60fps and gorgeous. It will use an AppleTV or Chromecast style HDMI dongle that plugs into the TV which it then will stream to. This will also be a base station for additional wireless controllers like the Wii U Pro Controller, Wii remotes, etc, up to 8 players. Games will be both downloadable and distributed on cartridges.

They'll basically take the Wii U and reverse it. You can play it on the go like a 3DS and play it at home on your TV like a Wii U. People's dreams of a Pokemon RPG on the big screen will finally come true. There could be other things on top of this, but this is the best prediction I can make based where Nintendo's market strengths are, current technical problems they have solved, and current trends in technology.

The "shitty PC" model of the PS4 and XBox One is the last place I expect Nintendo to go.

1) Full Wii U compatibility requires the gamepad. It is absolutely essential for existing games like Captain Toad and the upcoming Splatoon.

Yes it does!

And if you care enough to actually play the very short list of Wii U games that actually require that waste of space, you can provide your own.

Just like you had to provide your own Wii Remote to play all Wii games on your Wii U. No, they did not provide one with the console, HOW DARE THEY?

Just like you have to provide your own controllers and memory card to play Gamecube games on the original Wii! HOW DARE THEY?

If there's enough market demand for that brick of a controller, then Nintendo will continue to offer them on the market.

You can still buy today:

1. Brand new Gamecube controllers, first party
2. Brand new MotionPlus controllers, first party

3. Gamepad...oh wait, you can't buy one because there's no 3rd-party market, because Nintendo didn't think things through when they included a > $100 peripheral without the ability to power two of them simultaneously on the system.

Guess you're not going to play Captain Toad then? Because there's no way Nintendo can release a competitive console that's priced low enough to attract current PS4 owners and potential PS4 buyers without a price that low, and performance that high. And that requires ditching the boat anchor, or ditching backward compatibility entirely (which I doubt).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back