YouTube Star Buys $4.5M Home

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously guys, we are all in the wrong business. :eek: Thanks to cageymaru for the link.

According to indefatigable real estate yenta Yolanda Yakketyyak, it was 23-year-old YouTube megastar Jordan Maron who, via trust, plunked down more than $4.5 million for a sexed-up contemporary perched on a steep, city-view hillside high above L.A.’s Sunset Strip.

Yeah, it is crazy how much some of those youtube stars can make. All you do is get the proper following and boom.

So Linus Tech Tips has been telling us a lie!!! They do make money!

I will never understand why people pay this much for houses. This isn't coming from a position of jealousy, far from it, but GODDAMN, WHY would anyone squander so much money on something like that? It isn't only the purchase price either, with a place like that, you have the property taxes, and other (very expensive) upkeep...even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't waste it on something that expensive to buy then maintain. Doing shit like that is how you get poor again.

I will never understand why people pay this much for houses. This isn't coming from a position of jealousy, far from it, but GODDAMN, WHY would anyone squander so much money on something like that? It isn't only the purchase price either, with a place like that, you have the property taxes, and other (very expensive) upkeep...even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't waste it on something that expensive to buy then maintain. Doing shit like that is how you get poor again.

If you can afford a $4.5 million house, what makes you think you can't afford to maintain it? You only get poor again if you don't know how to manage your money properly.

I would be building my own house if I had $4.5 million to spend

Only rap people becomes poor again :eek:

:eek:

If I was youtube celeb knocking down enough to buy a 4.5 million dollar home I'd be banking every penny. I can't imagine youtube stardom is a very stable career path or would lead to any kind of a fallback gig.

Probably $45k per year, unless LA is different from the rest of California.

According to Zillow's tax history tab, 2014's tax bill was ~$47K when it was assessed at $3.9M so it'll be a bit more when he gets the tax bill.

Funny thing is...I didn't recognize the name until I read the article and it mentioned CaptainSparklez.
Also, the article does note that it was "via trust"...so...trust fund?

WTF?!

Jordan Maron is an American YouTube personality, also known by his YouTube channel username of CaptainSparklez whose channel primarily consists of videos of him playing Minecraft or showcasing "Minecraft Mods".

I would be building my own house if I had $4.5 million to spend
That's possible without too much hassle if you're flexible on where it's located. Spending $4.5 million on that particular house has a lot to do with precisely where it's located. :p

What a hipster looking house! Ew.

4.5 mil for that?!

I think some of you are underestimating how much parents will cave and let their kids rack up views or maybe send a little $2 tip to their beloved ViceroyQuonkaDooz.

What was Magiic: The Gathering growth from 1993 to 1998? How many people would have paid for hours and hours of videos from the top 5 players? But not VHS, it's so efficient you can load them in high quality on RealPlayer. lol

And Pokemon cards, games. Not cheap, the games got played a ton and some cards but a lot of those cards were touched only a few times, maybe in the trash in 2005, etc.

This kid is assuming he is going to be a huge YT star forever - big mistake.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking, but then again, he is a kid, which explains this stupid move. Well, stupid unless he has like $25 million invested away, at which point, maybe I could understand it. If I had $4.5 million, I'd probably just quit my job and live my current, comfortable, modest lifestyle. Maybe have a part time job, as I figure I'd need roughly $6 million assuming I die at 80.

If you can afford a $4.5 million house, what makes you think you can't afford to maintain it? You only get poor again if you don't know how to manage your money properly.

Right, and being a YouTube celebrity is probably not the most stable career path. If you figure working age 20 to 80, 4.5 mil is only 75k a year. Since I doubt he paid the total price right up front, he's in for some crazy high payments and better hope his income level never drops.

The fact that I recently saw CaptainSparklez action figures? Don't think that bodes well. Trying to branch out those revenue streams is a good idea, but there are 100 other minecraft video makers out there (not to mention other kinds of youtubers). All it takes is one misstep or just not being cool anymore, and bam your revenue stream goes tumbling.

Notch can do it because someone handed him a couple billion. A $40 million house is chump change percentage wise.

So many better things to do with that money and so many better places to live in general.

Does this count as reality TV, and he'd be the producer? Global same-day distribution and targeted ads?

Disney owns Polaris, under Maker Studios

It's not Kim Kardashian app money, but it's something

McHammer, Pam Anderson, Stephen Baldwin, Jose Canseco, Toni Brackston, Courtney Love Willie Nelson, George Foreman, Johnny Unitas, 50 Cent, and hundreds of lottery winners.

At least some of those stars have a way to continue to make money. A youtube star is the equivalent of a one-hit wonder. Save all your cash now cause it is probably won't last.

Just because you got a mortgage doesn't mean you have the cash to keep paying for it. Overspending what cash you have is not managing your money properly.

I didn't even know he was famous for playing Minecraft, but when I looked at the picture of the house I thought to myself "that looks like something my nephew could build in Minecraft." Fits perfect.

Dude can't be THAT popular. I've never heard of him. Not that I spend all day trolling YouTube, but I'd like to think I'm aware of most big happenings. Also just because he bought an expensive house and happens to be a "YouTube star" doesn't mean it was bought with YouTube earnings.

so many assumptions made by you guys.

Lemme add some more.

He was already well off as a kid. Most of that 4.5M is not from youtube.

I'm convinced that anyone purchasing a home in the hollywood hills thinks of most human beings as peasants that need to be kept at bay with a modern day labyrinth, and the gates communities are the modern day moat.

They are both obnoxious constructs imo, but the hills are the worst because visiting anyone there is a f*cking nightmare with crappy roads and navigating a maze that is harder on your car and economy. Granted, those last are less of an issue to non peasants, hence the point of the location. It's one of those passive jerk living decisions.

My daughter has a fucking plush doll of this idiot... They sell them in Wal-Mart and toys r us.

I never really understood the attraction of Minecraft videos, but they seem popular on youtube. Many of them get view counts by the millions.

Especially when your source of income allows you to make a living ANYWHERE. You could get that same sized house for a fraction of the cost somewhere else. Why live in LA if you don't have to.

I'm convinced that anyone purchasing a home in the hollywood hills thinks of most human beings as peasants that need to be kept at bay with a modern day labyrinth, and the gates communities are the modern day moat.

They are both obnoxious constructs imo, but the hills are the worst because visiting anyone there is a f*cking nightmare with crappy roads and navigating a maze that is harder on your car and economy. Granted, those last are less of an issue to non peasants, hence the point of the location. It's one of those passive jerk living decisions.

Agreed. I hated trying to get back to Franklin's newer crib. I always just fast traveled via Taxi or what not.

Especially when your source of income allows you to make a living ANYWHERE. You could get that same sized house for a fraction of the cost somewhere else. Why live in LA if you don't have to.

Some people enjoy LA? Why is this so hard for some of you to understand...not everyone wants to live in a basement in the middle of nowhere :eek:

Farside-hopeful-parents.gif

Damn, I was born too early.

Back