YouTube Red and Google Play Music May Be Merging

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A new report claims that Google Play Music and YouTube Red will be merged to create a new streaming service, and an official statement released by Google strongly supports it: while the process is still ongoing, the company admits that they are interested in bringing its music offerings together and users will be alerted of any such changes. Currently, Red subscriptions include access to Play Music, and vice versa.

...YouTube exec Lyor Cohen at the New Music Seminar conference in New York [had] stated that “the important thing is combining YouTube Red and Google Play Music, and having one offering.” Google’s comment indicated that some sort of changes is on the table, saying: “Music is very important to Google and we’re evaluating how to bring together our music offerings to deliver the best possible product for our users, music partners and artists. Nothing will change for users today and we’ll provide plenty of notice before any changes are made.”

As a user of both I really want Music in one app webpage designed around playing music and video in another. I don't need to download entire video when i'm listening to a song in my car over bluetooth. I have enough problems with YouTube music as it is without queue support. Sure youtube has a better selection of ripped songs and user generated content but it isn't the same as a music player.

Hmm I may actually consider subscribing if that's the case.

I mean, that's what it effectively is right now. Just don't change my "early bird special" ($7.99/mo) and we're golden.

"Subscribe to Google Play Music and get Youtube Red free!"
"Subscribe to Youtube Red and get Google Play Music free!"

...Yeah. It's silly that they didn't just merge these a year and a half ago when YT:Red came out.

Google just can't make sense of themselves.
To be or not to be, that is the answer!

Uh why? I want my Youtube for videos and Google Music for music. Don't fucking complicate things just so you can keep some bored programmers employed god damnit.

Google just can't make sense of themselves.
To be or not to be, that is the answer!

Yep google is the new Microsoft, no direction running around in circles with their heads chopped off. Tons of redundant products so the average consumer can't figure out what does what or why you would want X or Y. They can't build a following with many of these because they cant get momentum behind them. Allo, should have just been features rolled into hangouts. I think internally google has way to much of people trying to boot up projects to make a name for themselves in the company with no leadership. Google docs, should already be at the level of MS office with how long they have had it out, but its still just an OK web application.

Back