Youtube plans to join the ad extortion bandwagon...

I was never able to find an effective adbocker for YouTube.

ABP (ad block plus) works for me, currently.

I pay for premium and have since day 1. This won’t affect me.

9df.gif

Been using uBlock Origin for several years. Sucks that YouTube are going to make it more difficult.

You can always download the videos from YouTube until they decide to remove that option. Screen capturing still works, but I'm sure they will find a way to block it.

What's the current solution for that?

Here's how to do it without add-ons:
drag the link into VLC, then hit ctrl+J to bring up the video information tab, copy the URL, open it in your favourite browser, right clicking the video should have a |Save as" option. The whole thing takes 5 seconds and is not perfect (defaults to 1280@30 fps, not 4k@60) but it beats having to deal with ads.

You can use YT directly with VLC with KODI, even search for videos. Though I am sure there are more convenient ways, these work OK for me.

No Script is for the paranoid among us and as someone who has used it for several years, it is tiresome to deal with reloading pages to see some content or make sites work. I've had credit card purchases cancelled or delayed and even had one bank send me a new card all because of no script blocking a purchase because no script is turned off for the store website but not the payment processor.

The average person will long get sick of dealing with no script and I rarely recommend it to people unless they are paranoid and understand the hassles of dealing with it.

That certainly matches my experience. Payments usually require redirects to their respective services and they do tend to fail. While annoying, I am good with that. You don't have to use your main browser for everything. Separation of concerns matters.

I wouldn't expect daily changes. No company wants to spend money in a perpetual game of wack-a-mole trying to stay ahead.

Ha. Did you forget MS abandoned their own browser engine in favour of chromium? They got tired of google sabotaging their efforts on a daily basis.

YT has been loading suspiciously slow on firefox for a while now. In fact, most google services run like shit on anything not chromium. I wonder why that is. Probably a coincidence, right?

So what ads are their for youtube? I know there's "watch before you watch" ads as I see those whenever I use the youtube app on my phone, sometimes there's ads in the middle (or multiple times) in your video as I've noticed this with particularly long ones, then there's when the content provider simply says "This video is sponsored by ...." it's those later ones that I don't mind, impossibly to block but you can just as easy fast forward through, Google doesn't make any money on those though, so those ads being "watched" don't count. Do content providers get to say where Google gets to insert it's ads though? Presumably the more ads you allow Google to put in, the more money you get from them, which is not a power anyone should have.

I pay for premium and have since day 1. This won’t affect me.
Same. Grandfathered in as a bundle under a $8 a month Google Play Music subscription that also cloud hosts all 3000+ of my MP3s. $8 a month that I've been more than happy to pay.

YT has been loading suspiciously slow on firefox for a while now. In fact, most google services run like shit on anything not chromium. I wonder why that is. Probably a coincidence, right?

I use Vivaldi as my main browser and haven't had any issues with youtube speeds or anything at all, however, I do pay for premium so maybe that's why.
I also have ublock and ublock+ on vivaldi.
(Oh wait, vivaldi uses a form of Chromium doesn't it?)

Last edited:
Good luck Google, you are going to need it. There is always a way to go around them and we will find them.
There's already a couple of solutions. One would be to use the Android app "YouTube Vanced" which is the YouTube app modified to think you're on a premium service and therefore no ads. Just run an Android emulator on your PC and no more commercials. There's also Kodi with the YouTube addon, as I don't remember seeing a commercial there, but that's not a easy to use interface. You could just download the video before viewing it using a program instead of a web browser.

In the end someone will make an addon that'll just remove the restriction or message Google put in. Seriously, good luck Google.

I spend like 5 minutes every 6-12 months finding the next working adblock/download technique. If it were once a week then I'd start to get annoyed and just focus on other things. i use duckduckgo as a search engine so maybe folks using google.com will have a harder time finding the YT workarounds.

For downloading I use some generic download manager, it takes the YT url and takes care of the rest. ad block is just the normal adblock for chrome (but yea, probsbly best to use firefox)

Wouldn't a PiHole get around this?

I run Pi-Hole and haven’t been able to get consistent blocking. I have to rely on browser addons to get around them.

I primarily wanted to block all YouTube ads on my iPhone with the YouTube app which doesn’t work.

Ye gods many of you come off as spoiled little brats. Why do you think you're entitled to view YouTube for free without the minor inconvenience of ads? I'm sure YouTube has given many of you whiners hundreds of hours of entertainment, but god forbid they get a little something back for all you get from it.

Ye gods many of you come off as spoiled little brats. Why do you think you're entitled to view YouTube for free without the minor inconvenience of ads? I'm sure YouTube has given many of you whiners hundreds of hours of entertainment, but god forbid they get a little something back for all you get from it.

As everyone on the planet knows, YT is owned by Google. Based on the following ranking of top five brands, I'd say Google is doing quite well, in spite of a few "whiners"............. ;)

The world’s most valuable brands 2019:
  1. Amazon $315.5 billion
  2. Apple $309.5 billion
  3. Google $309 billion
  4. Microsoft $251.2 billion
  5. Visa $177.9 billion

As everyone on the planet knows, YT is owned by Google. Based on the following ranking of top five brands, I'd say Google is doing quite well, in spite of a few "whiners"............. ;)

The world’s most valuable brands 2019:
  1. Amazon $315.5 billion
  2. Apple $309.5 billion
  3. Google $309 billion
  4. Microsoft $251.2 billion
  5. Visa $177.9 billion
In a corporate dystopia the corporation usually does well, doesn't mean I want to live in it.
But every corporate dystopia has its lackeys.

That's great until you comment on a stream with one too many emojis and they delete your account and your MP3s.
I avoid the comment section of youtube like the plague it is.

Also, i have local and online backups. I'd never trust my important data in a single place.

im gonna keep using adblocker and if get banned oh well.
I don't think they are going to start banning people, more like prevent playback from starting. As some users don't even use an account. The only reason I created one is because of their policy that only registered users can watch age restricted videos.

Why does Google believe it's OK to track me on the internet using my personal data as a means for targeted advertising? Google doesn't own the internet.

As a Firefox user, I remain optimistic that I'll be able to find a way to tell Google to kiss my ass and continue to be able to use any plugin that I want, in any situation that I want.

You must have not been a FF user for more than a year or two because Mozilla already told you that you cannot use any plugin you want in any situation they want. They've been increasingly alienating their user base (which I had been a part of since the beginning) for years, which all came to a head in FF 57. For years they had been touting themselves as the most customizable browser, yet in 2015 started down the road to WebExtensions "to be more compatible with chrome" and killed off access to internal APIs completely in 2017. This killed off a huge proportion of existing extensions that could never return, some of which had become increasingly important like Classic Theme Restorer to neuter their crappy Australis UI.

Mozilla at this point are just whiny manchildren who complain about Google being unfair as a reason to why they're not competitive in the browser market, while simultaneously giving the middle finger to their own ever shrinking user base that has been trying desperately to get them to implement changes that would do the opposite.

This site really baffles me. The majority of people on here love to complain about the entitled generation. But when it comes to threads like this about service providers trying their hardest to make you “pay” for their product, these same people think they are entitled to free stuff.

This site really baffles me. The majority of people on here love to complain about the entitled generation. But when it comes to threads like this about service providers trying their hardest to make you “pay” for their product, these same people think they are entitled to free stuff.

I am entitled to whether or not I want to choose to pay for something, and if I trust a site enough for them to deliver ads to me - which tend to be a prevalent malware vector. This is aside the fact that I should not have my data harvested by Google for the privilege of using their browser.

These 'providers' have monetized data collection to the nth degree. The very least they can do is let me browse their channels without being forced to watch totally irrelevant and mindless ads. Now if they were PAYING me for my data, then it would be different.

Because as consumers we're not a commodity to capitalist USA. Google make plenty of money out of harvesting our data and the only thing we get in return is targeted advertising.

I am a commodity to no one.

Hosting YouTube costs lots of money. You guys act as if it costs Google nothing and if you watch videos and give them nothing in return then we break even and nobody looses.

Hosting YouTube costs lots of money. You guys act as if it costs Google nothing and if you watch videos and give them nothing in return then we break even and nobody looses.

Google makes a lot of money out of stealing personal data. An EULA no one reads by no means makes it OK to harvest data. As consumers we've been duped into believing this is OK, it's not OK.

Last edited:
I'm not annoyed with ads, they are easy to ignore with or without adblockers, what baffles me are the people that defend them... how they seem oblivious to their overall negative effect on this world and are comfortable with it just taking over everything.

I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who expect google and the content creators on youtube to lose money by hosting videos without ads or any payment at all. People will cry about "extortion" if a company doesn't want to take a loss serving videos for free. A Youtube Premium family account costs just $2/month for each user if you get a group of 6 people...

People concerned about privacy definitely have a point but google actually lets you delete whatever info you want. People just don't bother to do it. Set an auto delete date of 3 months and don't let google keep all your info forever. (https://www.pcworld.com/article/340...tion-history-data-in-your-google-account.html). Unless you believe Google is lying and secretly doing things they say they aren't (I wouldn't blame anyone who wants to be overly cautious), make use of the control they give you to delete your data. Use google takeout (https://takeout.google.com/) to see all the data they have on you.

If you think that Google is lying about what data they have and won't delete it when they claim to, then DON'T USE the service. If you think they are criminals, "stealing data, and are lying about letting you control your data----stop using the services. Otherwise, if you are concerned about privacy like I am---don't be lazy and make use of the privacy tools that Google provides (but doesn't heavily advertise for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
You all know there is YouTube Premium. It is $12/month and the ads are removed (and, yes, I am subscribed). Seems fair to compensate a company for their service.
And which service would that be? Random bans, political culling, or not giving a fuck about their creators? As far as I'm concerned youtube has become a disservice to the community that made it successful.
They are perfectly comfortable with any collateral damage while protecting their own ass.

Small youtubers are constantly getting anal probed, so much so that is is almost impossible to turn a youtube channel successful unless you get their "help". Their algorithms deliberately hide videos, suppress recommendations, and their content ID will automatically funnel all ad revenue from a video of an event where a music plays in the background for 5 seconds to the rights owner of that music. It is so bad that most have totally given up on fighting it. Either you ruin your own video by muting the audio, or you stand by as you watch someone else cashing in for your work.

In short they are throwing content creators under the bus left and right. Except for their holy cows. So there is no way I'm taking your suggestion of rewarding them with money for it.

It's worth a single pint of beer a month for me to avoid ads on a dozen different devices.

But I also use google home in almost every room of my house and have tvs with Chromecast support in most rooms of my house as well. I watch dozens of hours of youtube most weeks, so it's definitely worth it.

But, that's me.

Go to patreon or donate directly even, pretty easy if you wanna support folks and not YT as much (you do support them by simply viewing the video though). Sam Griffen Guitar for example does a good job offering tabs as an additional reward

GreenOrbs, Staples, Smashing Young Man (cool name btw)

You guys act as if I gaf. Google's makin huge bucks and here's why:

Original WSJ article paywalled but here's the jist.

Back