Youtube plans to join the ad extortion bandwagon...

M76

[H]F Junkie
You know, those delightful sites that display a message and prevent you from seeing the content unless you disable your adblocker.

Well coming the 10th of December Youtube is going to be one of those.

At first creators thought the new "not commercially viable" clause in the TOS was aimed at them, and of course they had their panties in a bunch over it. But they clarified it is actually made against users who block ads on the site (just as I thought), and therefore it is not commercially viable to provide a service to them.

Source

I for one be dealing with this as I deal with any other sites demanding to leave my adblocker outside the door: The X at the corner of the window / tab.

You need to earn that privilege that I disable adblock, and youtube's policies are so bad that I wouldn't even disable my adblock if there were no annoying ads on the site. I'll not fund the fascists at youtube.
I support individual creators trough buying their merchandising or donating to them trough patreon if they are worthy.

If I can't watch the videos without ads, I'll download them and watch them offline, if I can't download them either, youtube will be just as useless to me as cable was, and you know what happened to cable? I stopped using it.

Last edited:
If I can't watch the videos without ads, I'll download them and watch them offline, if I can't download them either, youtube will be just as useless to me as cable was, and you know what happened to cable? I stopped using it.
Not the biggest fan of Google/YT but they aren't equivalent to cable. Cable is a subscription only service. You don't pay a dime to YouTube. Their fiscal models are different. Ultimately they have to support the servers,storage,staff,etc. and the money to do that has to come from somewhere. If you aren't paying a fee directly then.....

Here's an idea, don't use an ad blocker. Seriously, they suck. Use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/ instead

Blockers are easy to detect and will never be as good, not to mention effective, as simply refusing the execute code from non-trusted entities. Here's on [H], NoScript reports only hardforum.com and google's spyware a.k.a. googletagmanager.com

If I navigate to the next tab, which is ArsTechnica, there are 10 distinct domains serving JS. 8 of them are trackers and ad systems. If I allow any of them to execute code on my browser, they will download and run code from at least twice as much domains.

You may think I am paranoid but I spent about six months working as a web dev for a company in this business. It's disgusting, though nothing surprised me in the least. My view towards allowing JS to run on my machine remained unchanged. Use NoScript or disable JS altogether.

Not the biggest fan of Google/YT but they aren't equivalent to cable. Cable is a subscription only service. You don't pay a dime to YouTube. Their fiscal models are different. Ultimately they have to support the servers,storage,staff,etc. and the money to do that has to come from somewhere. If you aren't paying a fee directly then.....
They have a premium subscription service which makes them literally cable and with preferencing access media over the small home videomaker who made them big in the first place, they seem more like cable than ever.
Channels like Late shows and such are all exempt for all their rules and hurdles they place in front of the private citizen. So I'm not paying them out of principle, and I block their ads because they are annoying anyway.

And now they are even trying to shift the responsibility of COPPA to the individual creators. I don't think that is legally on the up and up. They lie and obfuscate and misdirect, but most importantly mistreat the small content creators.

Here's an idea, don't use an ad blocker. Seriously, they suck. Use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/ instead

Blockers are easy to detect and will never be as good, not to mention effective, as simply refusing the execute code from non-trusted entities. Here's on [H], NoScript reports only hardforum.com and google's spyware a.k.a. googletagmanager.com

If I navigate to the next tab, which is ArsTechnica, there are 10 distinct domains serving JS. 8 of them are trackers and ad systems. If I allow any of them to execute code on my browser, they will download and run code from at least twice as much domains.

You may think I am paranoid but I spent about six months working as a web dev for a company in this business. It's disgusting, though nothing surprised me in the least. My view towards allowing JS to run on my machine remained unchanged. Use NoScript or disable JS altogether.

Except noscript breaks the functionality of many sites, and it doesn't even effectively block yutube ads.

Until ad networks aren't/don't:

• Intrusive
  • Track me
  • Host Malware regularly
  • Sell my data to other companies
... I won't be disabling any adblockers. It's bad enough that I have literally zero ability to protect my PII on mobile devices.

I guess I won't be using Youtube anymore.

They have a premium subscription service which makes them literally cable and with preferencing access media over the small home videomaker who made them big in the first place, they seem more like cable than ever.

I never paid YT a dime. I can still use their service. Try that with cable... Call them up and ask them for 10 years of service where you never directly pay them a dime. Yes YT has paid options, but they are options. Paying the cable company if you use their service is never an option, it's a must.

They aren't even remotely similar.

I never paid YT a dime. I can still use their service. Try that with cable... Call them up and ask them for 10 years of service where you never directly pay them a dime. Yes YT has paid options, but they are options. Paying the cable company if you use their service is never an option, it's a must.

They aren't even remotely similar.
Nobody said they are exactly like cable but you. I just said if they do this they'll end up like cable: obsolete.

As long as the ads are separate, they should be blockable, though it may take more effort to separate content from advertising, YT is popular enough that this effort will be made.

Though bigger YT channels have been rolling ads directly into their content for a while now, that is not separate and can't be avoided. Though I find most of the channels I watch do it quite tastefully and inoffensively.

Unlike Google ad placements which are jarring and irritating. I plan to avoid these one way or another.

Good luck Google, you are going to need it. There is always a way to go around them and we will find them.

What if they put the ads in the video itself? Sure, they'll lose interactivity but how would you beat that, let alone in real time.

F them, their ads are complete crap and they always show me religious based ads on top of that.
I have no problems with creators inserting theirs sponsored one.
Crap like this will just make Bitchute or other sites more popular in the end.

Except noscript breaks the functionality of many sites, and it doesn't even effectively block yutube ads.

Its main purpose is to break functionality of many sites. It's not that hard to allow hosts. 1 click and a bit of common sense is all it takes for each domain/ip

Yes, NoScript cannot do that for us with youtube but then again youtube was completely free of ads for many years. I hear they have a paid service without the ads. Go for that.

What if they put the ads in the video itself? Sure, they'll lose interactivity but how would you beat that, let alone in real time.

People have been doing that with their "sponsors" but you can easily forward past those ads. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they give the content creators a way to stop people from skipping over their in video sponsored ads.

Did you forget what you typed or something?
I'll let you figure that one out on your own. It's not that difficult I'll wait for you. I hope I don't have to spell it out and cite the context that you are conveniently ignoring.

People have been doing that with their "sponsors" but you can easily forward past those ads. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they give the content creators a way to stop people from skipping over their in video sponsored ads.
Youtube is not on the side of content creators. If anything I expect them to start banning videos that have ads directly within the video. Imagine that, youtube helping creators cut them out of the ad revenue.

Just skip ahead or maybe community built timestamps in conjunction with a script to auto skip it will become popular.

It not gonna work. There was addblock, that failed now there is ublock that works, next there will be superblock. They can't stop it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Just skip ahead or maybe community built timestamps in conjunction with a script to auto skip it will become popular.

No. Here's why:

They could do all kinds of crazy changes on a daily basis and simply outdo add-on makes. All they need is motivation. Don't think it's a good idea to push them hard.

Adblock doesn't work? Seems fine here. Downloading works too. At every turn something comes along to outdo their attempts to force ads. I guess I'm just a little more optimistic that'll continue to be the case. If not, no biggie here, just stop watching yt, it's not super important anyways and definitely not worth enduring ads for. Maybe an open source peer to peer video service will take over at some point

No. Here's why:

They could do all kinds of crazy changes on a daily basis and simply outdo add-on makes. All they need is motivation. Don't think it's a good idea to push them hard.

I wouldn't expect daily changes. No company wants to spend money in a perpetual game of wack-a-mole trying to stay ahead.

I would expect some "good enough" efforts, that cover most people and let those who are willing to fight it, to still be able to skip it.

The most effective thing the could do is probably just merge the ads into the videos, so they are non detectable from the outside.

Then you are left with manually skipping them which might be blocked...

youtube, twitter and fb have no real competitors. yt has created a hell of a monopoly, have you tried some of the alternatives? It'll take big personalities and content creators abandoning them en masse before the advertisers follow. YT is trying to become more like a cable network with youtubeTV, their bias and content censoring is disgusting. Next product they'll break is chrome, with the rollout of manifest v3. The forced ad thing will become a cold war, someone will come up with a block and they'll break it, back and forth.

I feel sorry for the Chrome users. The people who have allowed Google to place the castration bands around their testicles via allowing Google full control, including the website they are browsing AND the browser they are using. Bonus if they are also using a Chromebook and/or a Google fiber internet connection.

As a Firefox user, I remain optimistic that I'll be able to find a way to tell Google to kiss my ass and continue to be able to use any plugin that I want, in any situation that I want.

I was never able to find an effective adbocker for YouTube.

uBlock origin never worked for me. I bet I could Google it and find something, but for the once a month or so I watch a YouTube video, it just isn't worth the effort

Well Fuck me sideways, if they do this it is gonna do some bad things to me. On my PaloAltos I have dynamic block lists created that pulls from the Addblock resources. So those sites that do prompt to disable add blockers tell us too but there is nothing to disable. We’ve done this for security, since disabling adds unilaterally across the network we’ve seen a dramatic decrease in malware, viruses, spam, the works. Sadly YouTube is a huge resource that is used for us and having to re enable adds and instead rely on browser add-ons in it’s place doesn’t excite me.

I don't run an "adblocker" per se, but I do have some rules in my router's firewall that blocks all the known ad services IPs/domains.

Only a few sites report me as "blocking ads" but most will let me in anyway since I am only blocking the ad services servers.

Wonder if YT will be the same or if they'll know I'm not communicating with the ad servers.

I don't run an "adblocker" per se, but I do have some rules in my router's firewall that blocks all the known ad services IPs/domains.

Only a few sites report me as "blocking ads" but most will let me in anyway since I am only blocking the ad services servers.

Wonder if YT will be the same or if they'll know I'm not communicating with the ad servers.

I'm curious. Where do you get your IP/Domain list from?

You know, those delightful sites that display a message and prevent you from seeing the content unless you disable your adblocker. Well coming the 10th of December Youtube is going to be one of those.

I usually only go to youtube when I get bored enough; I have maybe 10 saved videos in my Favorites folder so, in other words I don't need Youtube :barefoot:

i haven't seen an ad in many many years,

i use an ad block extension on youtube

i dont even have a youtube google account so they can't even ban my account

i always donate to ad block every several months,

i started using it since youtube started bombarding us with way to many ads, that was where i drew the line

i'll ready to do whatever i have to in order watch videos without ads

fuck google

Its main purpose is to break functionality of many sites. It's not that hard to allow hosts. 1 click and a bit of common sense is all it takes for each domain/ip

Yes, NoScript cannot do that for us with youtube but then again youtube was completely free of ads for many years. I hear they have a paid service without the ads. Go for that.

No Script is for the paranoid among us and as someone who has used it for several years, it is tiresome to deal with reloading pages to see some content or make sites work. I've had credit card purchases cancelled or delayed and even had one bank send me a new card all because of no script blocking a purchase because no script is turned off for the store website but not the payment processor.

The average person will long get sick of dealing with no script and I rarely recommend it to people unless they are paranoid and understand the hassles of dealing with it.

Well, shit.

Figures.

Can't have anything nice anymore, due to a few rich greedy cocksuckers and their bullshit and a mass of sheep too fucking scared to start breaking shit until these "people" back off. It's all of us, or none, maybe one day enough people will get tired of these rich assholes and their bullshit to start lighting torches and sharpening those pitchforks.

youtube is not funded through magic fairy dust. everything costs money. this change will have 2 effects. it will get rid of useless deadbeats and it will increase ad use for everyone else. This is not just beneficial to youtube, it also helps support the creators whose content you are watching. as for everyone else, well views will go down but oh well.

I was never able to find an effective adbocker for YouTube.

uBlock origin never worked for me. I bet I could Google it and find something, but for the once a month or so I watch a YouTube video, it just isn't worth the effort
I use Adblock in Chrome and I don't get any ads at all in YouTube.

Back