Youtube Paying Top Creators to Push New Features

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Youtube tried to pay creators to lock in their content exclusively to Youtube back in 2014, and we all know how that worked out....it didn't. Youtube is feeling more heat from the likes of Facebook and certainly Twitch according to Bloomberg. Youtube is now paying to creators up to hundreds of thousands of dollars if they use the platform's new paid memberships and enhanced chat. Also in some of these deals is the requirement to publish their content first to Youtube before distributing it on other platforms.

Competitors have seized on that dissatisfaction. Facebook Inc. and and its Instagram service have approached YouTube stars touting their new video features, while Amazon.com Inc.’s Twitch and Patreon offer the chance to reduce reliance on advertising by selling subscriptions to fans who want early access to programming or the ability to use certain symbols in chats.

Maybe if they stop screwing the creators over on a regular basis with bizarre and often draconian changes to their platform with little or no feedback and research from the very people who have helped make it what is was; they may just right the ship. However, their demonstrated arrogance in the past, I'm not hopeful that they will.

why people would pay money just so they can chat during someone's live (whatever) I will never know.

They do so to "support" the person they watch and idolize. Little do they know that YouTube gets a significant cut from each donation. Most viewers probably think all of it goes to the YouTube artist.

Yeah, sad, looks like I will be missing on some content now but, I really don't care. I'm just as happy watching random videos on YouTube as anything else. I will never ever pay for anything related to Youtube unless they offer a streaming cable package WITHOUT sports and or ala carte sometime in the future. I guess there is a possibility that will happen.

My favorite time in cable history was when I had around 40 - 50 channels for $35 a month back in the 90's. I loved it and it was perfect for me. Now they force feed you 10 different cooking channels, I personally hate sports other than MMA / Boxing, all the home decor, improvement stuff. I mean, I'm happy that other people love that stuff but let me choose what I want to pay for.

I have too many associated monthly internet fees I can't even consider taking on new fees period.

Internet, Usenet, VPN, NZB donations, Netflix, HBO Go and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

How about not punishing content creators for using language that others find offensive, but everyone uses daily. Like the word fuck.

Like, how much complaining has the YouTube community done that the company just ignores?

This isn't the least bit surprising. Just because advertisers pay the bills, doesn't mean they're the talent... And you have fuck all without talent.

Hey Vsauce, Michael here.

Remember when i use to make content on Youtube?

Maybe if they stop screwing the creators over on a regular basis with bizarre and often draconian changes to their platform with little or no feedback and research from the very people who have helped make it what is was; they may just right the ship. However, their demonstrated arrogance in the past, I'm not hopeful that they will.
They want to eliminate the competition from corporations moving into YouTube. Cable News is the first, its dying hard and they think they can make the transition. Alex Jones was bumped because he gets more views on YouTube than CNN, MSNBC, etc did. He was competition. The corporations certainly don't want to compete with one or two man operations whose biggest expense is a Yeti Microphone who so far have been out-competing them.

They do so to "support" the person they watch and idolize. Little do they know that YouTube gets a significant cut from each donation. Most viewers probably think all of it goes to the YouTube artist.
There's ways to contribute to a livestream in realtime like a 'superchat'. How often do you see that tried? I've seen one Youtuber do it. You can't beat built in. YouTube is potentially solvent now because of these Superchats, the dollar value they earn on them is hush hush.

There's ways to contribute to a livestream in realtime like a 'superchat'. How often do you see that tried? I've seen one Youtuber do it. You can't beat built in. YouTube is potentially solvent now because of these Superchats, the dollar value they earn on them is hush hush.

Which is why many of the creators push Patreon support instead of superchat donations.

I am not the target audience because I dont watch youtube religiously.....

That being said...

Youth (that I know) and young adults are more reliant on social media and happily spend money to get special expressions and for some reason beyond me want to stream a game instead of paying for it.....

The only parallel I can think of is watching sports when you cant play.... baffling

The television market/time share is getting eaten into.

Just look at Twitch man, CSGO meme spam. Nuff said.
Well, you have your answer right there. I don't look at twitch :D

And then Kyle comes and collects the 50 cents for the use of that smiley face.

Back