YouTube Now Supports 60 FPS

HardOCP News

[H] News
After announcing support back in June, it looks as though YouTube has finally implemented support for 60 FPS video. You have to watch the video below in at least 720P to really appreciate what a difference 60FPS brings to the table.

What better way to show off 60 frames per second than Mario Kart footage.

::crickets::

What better way to show off 60 frames per second than Mario Kart footage.

::crickets::

God forbid somebody enjoy something that's not a PC game/first person shooter around here. Mario Kart is 1) fun and 2) runs at 60FPS consistently.

I like it.

What good is 60FPS when even 30FPS HD videos are unwatchable because of Google's lack of buffering? Same question about 4K. They amount to slideshows despite our 50mbit internet connection.

Isn't it a tad ironic that the weakest of consoles(Wii-U) provides the most consistent 60fps games in comparison to the PS4/XBOne? Super Smash Bros. Wii-U runs at 1080p/60 while games like Sunset Overdrive and Order 1886 struggle to maintain sub-1080p resolution and 30fps.

Looks like it's only currently supported properly in Chrome

Great, so youtube finally supports 60FPS... unfortunately regardless of how fast your internet connection is those people who don't use Chrome can only see videos in 480p/30? Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.

Can't watch is on my system in 1080p60, it is basically a slide show every 5 seconds.

Oh 720p60 I have load up Photoshop in the background and it still runs smoothly.

A8-3850 @ 2.9ghz, and 8gb DDR1600.

Looks pretty good at 720p60 anyways.

Might have to finally switch to Chrome...

Hard to side by side when there isn't a 720p30 option. I cannot convince myself that it is the extra FPS that I'm appreciating.

I like it. Should make gaming videos a bit closer to reality.

Downside - I now want to play Mario Kart. :)

You tube has been pretty much unwatchable for me, only at the lowest resolutions I can view something and sometimes even that buffers.

I don't get it, my Internet connection can sustain Netflix's super HD with no difficulty.
Yes,I just tried Firefox, opera, and Chrome (I actually just installed that as per someone here)

You tube SUX!, and yes its you tube and nothing else.

After announcing support back in June, it looks as though YouTube has finally implemented support for 60 FPS video. You have to watch the video below in at least 720P to really appreciate what a difference 60FPS brings to the table.

No, you actually HAVE to watch in 720p to even get 60 FPS. 480p and 360p are both 30 FPS.

Firefox sucks. Why anyone is still using it is beyond me.

Because it works and more feature options than Chrome or IE? I mean seriously you like watching commercials before every video you view online these days? Unless they finally got some working extensions for those two browsers in the last year since I tried Chrome. Most people I work with these days have reverted from Chrome back to firefox. I guess the fad wore off.

Opera is a decent browser too, but last I checked it's addons were a bit "lacking" still.

Hard to side by side when there isn't a 720p30 option. I cannot convince myself that it is the extra FPS that I'm appreciating.

I can tell a huge difference and my computer is so slow it lags on any HD video. If you can't tell a difference I can only assume you aren't using Chrome.

Will videos I have already uploaded that were 720p60 now play in 60fps, or does that only apply to videos uploaded after this is implemented?

Everything that has been uploaded thus far seems to be video game bullshit.

Firefox sucks. Why anyone is still using it is beyond me.

Lets ignore your hatred for Firefox for a moment. 60FPS is supported by a grand total of 10% of the users of the internet (Chrome's marketshare). The rest of the internet is now forcibly stuck in 480p resolution and below for anything uploaded at 60FPS since there's no 720/30 option.

The other side, this could be a good tactic by Google to get people to use their browser.

Lets ignore your hatred for Firefox for a moment. 60FPS is supported by a grand total of 10% of the users of the internet (Chrome's marketshare). The rest of the internet is now forcibly stuck in 480p resolution and below for anything uploaded at 60FPS since there's no 720/30 option.

The other side, this could be a good tactic by Google to get people to use their browser.

10% market share?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...ket-share-tops-20-leaves-firefox-in-its-dust/

Lol why would a 30fps video be magically 60fps? That's not how it works.

I uploaded a 60fps video. I have no idea by what method YouTube reprocesses that video to display at 30fps and whether they keep the source file (the source file name is saved in the Video Manager).

So it's not a "30fps video be[coming] magically 60fps", but rather a 60fps video that YouTube has been playing back as 30fps actually now being played at its original 60fps.

Back