youtube/mp4's all of a sudden very pixelated in IE10/WMP

conscript

2[H]4U
So weird thing occurred in the last 48 hours, and I honestly don't think I changed any settings or installed/uninstalled anything on my PC to drive this, but all of a sudden, all youtube videos while using IE10 are extremely pixelated, to the point of being unwatchable. Coupled with that, all mp4 videos on my PC were also pixelated. They all worked perfectly fine this weekend and for the last 6 months on my win8 PC. I uninstalled my K-Lite Codec Pack and installed fresh, still didn't fix my issues with Windows media player and the mp4's on my harddrive (where is had been working perfectly all along until now), but was able to switch to Media Player Classic which works fine. Still no fix for youtube though.

So two parter...most importantly, how to fix. And secondly, wth caused this? I would guess some update from patch Tuesday but I haven't seen anything else about this from anyone online, which means if it's only me then somehow I f'd it up...but honestly, can't fathom what I did.

appreciate any assistance given!

I'm using a GTX 680 with the latest drivers. I did not update any video drivers to cause this (thoughI did just update today to see if it fixed it....to no avail).

I should also point out, youtube works perfectly with Chrome, but I have the exact same issue with pixelation using Firefox as I do with IE 10.

sounds like it could be some sort of codec issue, iirc chrome uses its own built in flash player.

As to how to fix it I don't know, remove all codecs and install cccp or k-lite and go from there?

Does they work in VLC alright? iirc it uses internal codecs.

I installed VLC, mp4 video work fine, but plug in doesn't help youtubes in IE or Firefox. I basically uninstalled everything, started from scratch, still same issue...very frustrating. I'm almost to the point where I either need to format, or use Chrome...but either solution pisses me off because it's really bothering me as to what I did to cause this...

Does this fix firefox? Its an alternative to the normal flash plugin for youtube.

Have you tried using something like ccleaner after uninstalling? Are you manually deleting the left-over crap in %appdata% (in case its some setting that is being kept between installs).

If none of that works I'd just reformat, but I reformat quite often so its not a big deal to me, if it is for you I'm not sure what one would check next, maybe try to re-create the issue in a vm?

Does this fix firefox? Its an alternative to the normal flash plugin for youtube.

Have you tried using something like ccleaner after uninstalling? Are you manually deleting the left-over crap in %appdata% (in case its some setting that is being kept between installs).

If none of that works I'd just reformat, but I reformat quite often so its not a big deal to me, if it is for you I'm not sure what one would check next, maybe try to re-create the issue in a vm?

nope, JW player made no difference.

And yea, I reformat all the time, maybe a little less so than I used to as I get older and lazier, but still no real aversion to it... other than the fact that if I do I'll never know wtf was wrong and it will eat away at my brain for the rest of my life...

and yes, ran ccleaner, to no avail.

and the latest...I did a system restore dating back to 2/4, which is a time I know everything was working correctly...and it still did not fix the issue. Guess it's time to waive the white flag, admit I've been defeated by my PC, and reformat...

ok, happy to say i fixed before formatting...turned out somehow hardware acceleration was enabled. Not sure how this occurred, because i certainly didn't change anything knowingly.

happy to hear you figured it out, now you know what to check if someone else has a similar issue.

Back