YouTube Is Working On 6 Second 'Bumper' Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
The idea of a six second "bumper" ad sounds like a good idea. It is shorter than the average 15 - 30 second ads and almost the same length as the wait to "skip" an ad so maybe people will actually watch the whole thing.

That’s why today we’re announcing Bumper ads – a new six-second video format, sold through the AdWords auction on a CPM basis. Bumper ads are ideal for driving incremental reach and frequency, especially on mobile, where “snackable videos” perform well. Given the succinct nature of the format, we’ve seen Bumper ads work best when combined with a TrueView or Google Preferred campaign.

Sweet, another type of ad I won't have to watch.

Knock yourselves out.

Eventually advert companies and their ad-buyers are going to realize that adverts have become so ubiquitous that no one pays any attention to them any more.

Eventually advert companies and their ad-buyers are going to realize that adverts have become so ubiquitous that no one pays any attention to them any more.

People pay attention to ads. Directly or indirectly, the seed is planted.

Except if not.

You can show me 500 Bud Light commercials. Still not buying the stuff, or any other inbev product for that matter. Same for Ford pickup truck commercials. Same for the 5,000 prescription drug commercials shown daily.

Except if not.

You can show me 500 Bud Light commercials. Still not buying the stuff, or any other inbev product for that matter. Same for Ford pickup truck commercials. Same for the 5,000 prescription drug commercials shown daily.

Just because you don't like/need the product, doesn't mean that the ad was a failure. You're not their target demographic.

It could be worse.. like the SNL approach..

"NBC's "Saturday Night Live" is paring down its commercial load, with plans to cut about 30% of ads out of the sketch comedy show next season. It will do this by removing two commercial breaks per episode, giving viewers more content, said Linda Yaccarino, chairman-advertising sales and client partnerships, NBC Universal."

The catch? The company's going to be experimenting with more native, sponsored, and product placement advertising as part of the attempt to combat cord cutting and ad-skipping simultaneously:

NBC Smells Cord Cutting On The Wind, Will Reduce 'SNL' Ad Load By 30% Next Season | Techdirt

Except if not.

So you've never in your life seen a single commercial that has ever made you say "oh thats kinda cool" or "hmm i might like that".

I think not.

Ads affect people whether we like to admit to it or not. The difference is whether or not an individual will exercise their brainpower to make up their own mind on the product or service being sold after the fact.

Just because you don't like/need the product, doesn't mean that the ad was a failure. You're not their target demographic.

Except shitty "beer", prescription drugs that admit to causing your pecker to fall off or killing you, and trucks/cars are about 95% of advertisements on TV.

Ads affect people whether we like to admit to it or not. The difference is whether or not an individual will exercise their brainpower to make up their own mind on the product or service being sold after the fact.

Except if you exercise your mute button, are surfing your phone during ad breaks, or not looking at billboards. Your theory presumes my brain is hardwired and forced to watch ads...which no one's is.

Except shitty "beer", prescription drugs that admit to causing your pecker to fall off or killing you, and trucks/cars are about 95% of advertisements on TV.

Except if you exercise your mute button, are surfing your phone during ad breaks, or not looking at billboards. Your theory presumes my brain is hardwired and forced to watch ads...which no one's is.

My cousin made a little documentary that you should take a look at. It will open your eyes to how little you understand about advertising. The only way to avoid the effects of advertising is to fall into a coma, or death.

POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever

After seeing the same exact ads on Hulu every few minutes, it creates a negative experience for me. San Diego, CA - I don't want to visit. They have that commercial on quite a bit. There are several others that just irritate me and give me a negative association when I think of it.

6 second ads? Those will be much better. I still won't pay much attention, but that seed will be planted. And it will be less intrusive and not so negative.

You can show me 500 Bud Light commercials. Still not buying the stuff, or any other inbev product for that matter.

You say that. And I say that. Neither of us are probably going to seek out Bud Light, because let's face it, it's terrible.

But if, after watching those 500 Bud Light commercials, you are later offered free beer and your choices are Bud and Miller, guess which one you're probably going to pick...

You say that. And I say that. Neither of us are probably going to seek out Bud Light, because let's face it, it's terrible.

But if, after watching those 500 Bud Light commercials, you are later offered free beer and your choices are Bud and Miller, guess which one you're probably going to pick...

Neither.

Probably. All I know is ads make me not want to buy a product. Meaning you're right. They do have an effect on people, just not the same.

Anyone who thinks ads don't affect them are silly.

The only way to be immune to ads is to not see the ads in the first place. I hate ads, but of course they affect me.

I, however, am an asshole, and will purposly not buy a product with an annoying or intrusive ad. Sure, the seed is there, I'm recognizing their product, I'm just not buying it because they were overly annoying. Chili's for example. When on my phone and YouTube I have to see ads, during lunch time Chili's blasts YouTube videos with ads.

I no longer eat at chili's. Fuck you. You're not that great to begin with, but, if I have to eat at a restaurant of that type, I'm going to Applebee's, which is arguably worse, just because their ads don't annoy me.

Q: Which one is bigger?
Same size

Q: are they both draft or bottle, or mixed
I'll always take bottled over draft. If they are both the same, move on.

Q: which one has more alcohol content - I'm not drinking crap beer for the taste.
If same move on

Q: which one is newer
All the above being the same you go with the fresher beer.

I make my decisions based on factors I care about. Your advertising means shit to me.

Miller High Life. I won't drink Bud/Bud Light at all.

I did drink a Mickeys the other day. I remember it being much better when I was a lot younger. Nostalgia doesn't win in everything...

YouTube is butt hurt cause Advertisers are now working with YouTubers directly and spend the money on product placement and plugs.

Except if not.

The purpose of ads in most cases is not to make you immediately run and purchase the product advertised, but to raise brand awareness, and associate the brand/product with positive thoughts. You don't even need to register the ad conciously. For example your refigerator breaks down, and you need to buy a new one, and you saw an ad 6 weeks ago, that planted the seed of a new brand with pleasant images, and concepts, then you'll check out that brand, or give it a thought. Whereas if you never saw the ad, you won't even be aware of it's existence.

Of course ads don't work universally on everyone. The same image can't evoke positive emotions in everyone universally. Just because you saw an ad, that made you feel disgust instead of desire, it doesn't mean that the concept of advertising is not working. They try to find themes, that have the greatest overall appeal to the potential targets. They might advertise a retirement home with traditional conservative values, but they sure as hell won't advertise an action camera with the same theme.

The purpose of ads in most cases is not to make you immediately run and purchase the product advertised, but to raise brand awareness, and associate the brand/product with positive thoughts. You don't even need to register the ad conciously. For example your refigerator breaks down, and you need to buy a new one, and you saw an ad 6 weeks ago, that planted the seed of a new brand with pleasant images, and concepts, then you'll check out that brand, or give it a thought. Whereas if you never saw the ad, you won't even be aware of it's existence.

Of course ads don't work universally on everyone. The same image can't evoke positive emotions in everyone universally. Just because you saw an ad, that made you feel disgust instead of desire, it doesn't mean that the concept of advertising is not working. They try to find themes, that have the greatest overall appeal to the potential targets. They might advertise a retirement home with traditional conservative values, but they sure as hell won't advertise an action camera with the same theme.

Thing with advertising, specifically TV adverts....is that the ones who can afford the campaigns don't need "brand awareness". No one needs reminded of coke or pepsi or bud or ford or chevy. They're all gigantic enough companies that no one who hasn't been living off the grid for 50 years could help but not know the brand already.

Where do you live that you see retirement home advertisements? All it is out here is cars, swill crappy beer, and prescription drugs.

So you've never in your life seen a single commercial that has ever made you say "oh thats kinda cool" or "hmm i might like that".

I think not.

Actually, yes, that's exactly what I'd say. Screw ads. The minute I see anything in ad form, my hatred for whatever it is goes up exponentially, and I might refuse to buy it in the long run, even if it's something I would usually like. Almost everything I buy is solely of my own volition, or something I hear about solely through word of mouth from friends that have tried it... and something that I think might improve my life. Thus far I can with all honestly say that there is pretty much no ad that has influenced me to buy anything in the ad.

To me, time is extremely valuable. If you waste even 5 seconds of my time with advertising BS, I will hate you. I will literally hate you. I go somewhere strictly to get content and entertainment that matters to me, not advertising for products which do not.

That's why I also hate the web's new obsession with those stupid modal popups. The ones that are popups within the page. The second I see one of those, I will close the tab and never go to your site again. Deal done.

The kind of advertising I can accept, however, is the one where they mail you coupons in the mail. You're not really wasting my time, and you're giving me a discount if I try your product, and I am the one that gets to choose when I view your advertisement, if ever. To me, that's the right way to do things. The email counterparts are also fine.

I'm fine with this, as long as ad-block still works on it :)

Thing with advertising, specifically TV adverts....is that the ones who can afford the campaigns don't need "brand awareness". No one needs reminded of coke or pepsi or bud or ford or chevy. They're all gigantic enough companies that no one who hasn't been living off the grid for 50 years could help but not know the brand already.

Where do you live that you see retirement home advertisements? All it is out here is cars, swill crappy beer, and prescription drugs.

Actually I just saw a very high budget ad for a new Chinese tire manufacturer I've never heard of before. And brand awareness is just one purpose I mentioned. Of course for well known brands it's not about that, it's the other thing I listed that you ignored.

Especially with adblock on lol

Back