YouTube Is Trying to Prevent Angry Mobs from Abusing "Dislike" Button

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

YouTube could be getting rid of the “Like” button, or, at least, minimizing its visibility to some degree to combat “dislike mobs,” viewers who “slam the dislike button on a video before watching the whole thing, or even watching the video at all.” The undertaking was likely prompted by the company’s 2018 Rewind video, which was supposed to be a fun, proud moment for YouTube. Instead, it was downvoted to oblivion by 15M viewers. Critics say that creators should just upload content that doesn’t suck, while others suggest it’s a genuine, complicated issue.

One of the new options YouTube has talked about is making those ratings invisible by default, so you wouldn't be able to see the number of likes or dislikes a video has. Other options include asking users to provide more information about why they disliked a video (possibly in the form of a checklist), removing the dislike count across the board, and removing the dislike button entirely. Leung acknowledges that all of these options have pros and cons, and YouTube may not implement any of them after testing.

2. alamox

alamox Gawd

im always with the mob.
    to be honest it's stupid, the same as bomb reviews, they give you a feature to say if you are happy or not with the product, then come and tell you, you can't be unhappy for that reason...
    they know better, they have the money.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

So Youtube is just pissy that their shitty rewind video got downvoted into obliviion?

4. mkk

mkk [H]Lite

I hadn't watched that Rewind until now.
    I wish I hadnt' but at least I could expediently express that feeling.

5. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Can you request such mob, the 1-2 haters i have picked up on my youtbe channel, well they got me thinking and really i think i would like the most hated Danish youtube channel :)

6. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

So its ok for Like mobs but not Dislike mobs?

7. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

So take it out or make it optional for creators, there's is no need for drama.

If they make it optional it should be attached to removing the like button along with it, though.

8. Ebernanut

Ebernanut Gawd

Ah yes, they wouldn't want you to dislike something because you and a whole bunch of others are unhappy. /s

I see this as an effort to appeal to corporate interests, I don't think their efforts to not promote conspiracy vlogs has anything to do with it.

9. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Yes. What's not to Like?

10. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

I wonder if this has something to do with gillettes ad on toxic masculinity which got destroyed within a few hours, then heaps of dislikes began to 'mysteriously' vanish. Whats the point of likes/dislikes when google can put whatever numbers they want in there. They should just get rid of any negative comments while they're at it. We all knew google would kowtow to corporations eventually, time for lougle and loutube!

HoffY, Lumpus, raz-0 and 10 others like this.
  11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

"Everyone who doesn't agree with me is part of a mob."

12. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Make shitty products, get shitty reviews.

Sounds like the system works juuuuuust fine.

HoffY, Unter Dog, Patton187 and 8 others like this.
  13. exiled350

exiled350 Gawd

Sometimes I wish there was a dislike button here. For posts, not content lol. Content here is always top notch.

horskh, S-F, WBurchnall and 2 others like this.
  14. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

Yup, we hurt their feelings, theres no safe space on youtube.

Unter Dog and mynamehere like this.
  15. Caeden

Caeden n00b

How much of this was the hate for their rewind video (which I haven't watched yet... the algorithm knows I wont like it lol), and how much of this is CBS paying them to make it harder for us to abuse them when they inflict bad STDs on our viewing platform of choice?

16. Snowdensjacket

Snowdensjacket Limp Gawd

YouTube is just angry that they can't tell us what to like. People keep exercising their free will and disliking the awful crap corporations want to shove down our throats. Bad goys!

HoffY, Patton187 and GoldenTiger like this.
  17. AtomClock

AtomClock [H]Lite

This reminds me of Netflix getting rid of the star system in order to cover up the fact that most of the content on Netflix is crap.

horskh, LakeErieWater, blert and 2 others like this.
  18. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Oh, you mean like that new Alien mobile app? :D

19. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

People think this is in response to the rewind video, it isn't. That is old news. This is in direct response to the Gillette dislike bombing. P&G is a huge company with very deep pockets. There is a massive amount of negativity surrounding their "woke" ad and that impacts Youtube ad revenue. If major advertisers aren't happy, YT is going to cave. We are long past youtube being a platform for free creativity. It is getting steadily more censored and controlled by the major corporations and will continue to do so as long as it remains the highest traffic service.

20. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Well, I just did my part and added a dislike to both the rewind and the gillette video (maybe I'll actually watch them one of these days).

21. risc

risc Handle with Kid Gloves

When you don't get the result you need, change the parameters until you do.

Yes, that fixes the problem...

22. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

For starters, they could make it so that you have to watch X% of the video for it to count. If you didn't, it looks (to you) like it counted, but it doesn't actually go into the global total (like a shadowvote). Don't advertise this fact.

23. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Either make it so you can't vote on a video until you watch 90% of it or allow people to disable like/dislike.

24. Inglix_the_Mad

Inglix_the_Mad Limp Gawd

It's a useful distraction from people weaponizing DMCA takedowns to steal revenue from mid-sized channels. Besides the downvote thing will please the SJW crowd who insist that it must be organized campaigns of people downvoting some crappy video, e.g. the Ghostbusters reboot, they like.

Patton187, Lumpus and GhostCow like this.
  25. WarriorX

WarriorX [H]ard|Gawd

No like/dislike button would mean no more "please like or dislike the video" messages at the end of every video so that would be a plus.

Patton187, xmadror and Inglix_the_Mad like this.
  26. TordanGow

TordanGow Gawd

George Carlin nailed this decades ago...

That's what they do in a lot of these schools now, they lower the passing grades so more kids can pass. More kids pass, the school looks good, everybody's happy; the IQ of the country slips another two or three points and pretty soon, all you'll need to get into college is a fucking pencil! 'Got a pencil? Get the fuck in there, it's physics!'​

27. HAL_404

HAL_404 Limp Gawd

wow, hitting the dislike button without even watching the vid ... who would have thought people would sink so low :LOL:

28. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

My favorite one is when comments get turned off with ratings.
    Oy vey!

Nightfire, Snowdensjacket and filip like this.
  29. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

I don't see that huge a problem with "review bombs". They coincide with an actual event and make genuine statements - ones that I have, on multiple occasions, agreed with.

A review bomb, if issued by real people, is real feedback. And so, I see the censoring or prevention of the possibility for them sort of as corporate propaganda and manipulation.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    HoffY, Patton187 and thund3rb1rdDeuce like this.
  30. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

They can't handle the truth, happens to many companies all the way until they go out of business.

HoffY likes this.
  31. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

How about abusing the "like" button? It's mob dynamics either way.

32. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

YouTube shouldn't change anything, they just need to visit Reddit and find out what real mob mentality is. Then they'll feel better about their situation.

Sikkyu likes this.
  33. snowcrash

snowcrash Gawd

There are many times where I wish the dislike button are disabled. I think there are too many aholes out there that do nothing but being negative on social media. The best thing would be to completely get rid of it. If a content sucks, there won't that many likes anyways and it will fade into oblivion. Better off that way.

RPGWiZaRD likes this.
  34. potency

potency Gawd

Like mobs are likely much better for business than Dislike mobs.

Delicieuxz likes this.
  35. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

Stop ignoring the question.

36. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

But they already have that, the like / dislike ratio can be hidden from videos. But everyone knows why someone would do that, it's an admission of defeat.

This is not about adding an useful feature, this is about "Stop disliking the message we want to spread!"

37. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Want to tell me what a conspiracy is!
    Want to tell me what I can't dislike!
    Cultural Marxism is alive and well my friends. Err.. Comrades? Yes Comrades!

Patton187, Nightfire and Armenius like this.
  38. Merc1138

Merc1138 2[H]4U

Pretty much. If they remove it altogether, then no one has to hide it since we all know hiding it means you don't want to admit the video sucks.

This is definitely different from the "review bombs" though. No one is paying money to watch youtube videos, and sure the dislike crowd can be incited by a mob mentality on the internet(after a million dislikes, people definitely start clicking on the video just to add to it), but it's still crappy content that started the ridiculous dislike ratio in the first place. The people that complain about review bombs on steam... fuck those people. That's consumers that have paid money and changed their opinion of a product after a developer has done something stupid to piss them off, which is why something like steam needs a review system in the first place.

Armenius and Snowdensjacket like this.
  39. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

I think they identified exactly why Google is interested in stopping downvotes. Like mobs draw more views and encourage more engagement and purchases where applicable. It's about what makes videos more popular, product promotions more successful, and YouTubers more money, all of which make Google more money.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    potency likes this.
  40. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

looks like some people have had too much to think.

Armenius, GoldenTiger and KazeoHin like this.