YouTube is Showing Twice as Many "Pre-Roll" Ads Now

I hate ads as much as everyone else. However I have to ask, do you all use ad blockers here at the [H]? How do you expect these craters to get paid? Also dgz did you realize Kyle does not get paid by the ad revenue you just blocked?

I use adblocker, but I've whitelisted [H] and I also support via patreon.

What ads? µBlock Origin is still blocking everything on both Youtube and Twitch for me.

Reactions: Joust
like this
The old tv model wasn't broken, it's the people who are wrong.

The 'old' model really wasn't bad. Commercials at the 0, 15, 30 and 45 minutes marks of a hour. About 52 minutes of show. Several of the Quinn Martin shows were split into and labeled as Acts I, II, III, and IV. Then the networks got greedy and it slowly devolved into a morass of commercials all over the place and about 42 minutes of show. Which leads to this happening: https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/espn-disney-channel-subscriber-losses-2018-1203035003/

If Youtube insists on following Disney and the others down the more commercials are better rabbit hole, they will suffer the same fate.

I hate ads as much as everyone else. However I have to ask, do you all use ad blockers here at the [H]? How do you expect these craters to get paid? Also dgz did you realize Kyle does not get paid by the ad revenue you just blocked?

I understand your point, for me it was a kind of evolution. I came out of the days of pop up and pop under ads, flash ads, ads with auto play sound, it was simply untenable so I started using ad block hard. Going back now, even for sites that I want to support is so jarring, I’m really not used to ads and sometimes find navigating pages with Adblock off difficult. Plus I’m quite privacy conscious normally so trackers and ads are usually blocked by the same tools. I guess I just kind of got used to the ad and tracker “free” internet, and it’s really abnormal and foreign when it’s not on.

I also think a lot what is advertised is lost on me, I’m not in the US, I don’t buy from Amazon, a lot of my browsing exits a VPN (not here) and I actively choose not to buy things from companies who ad spam, I prefer to get my information from unbiased reviews and similar interest user’s experiences.

I get that Kyle needs to get paid, as does YouTube, its just how do I provide financial support for all the different sites I use is the difficult bit. Patreon is a solid choice here, but many sites I frequent don’t have that as an option, and YouTube is IMO just being “cable TV or Telco package deal” and offering a bunch of services I don’t want (Red, music etc) and not a more cost effective service I do (no ads).

I think the internet is falling back to a funding source that carried TV, and people hated that too. Hopefully Google doesn’t get greedy with that new service it’s offering where you can put some money in an account and the pages you go to get a small amount every time you visit (I forget what it’s called) and it takes off, maybe that’s a better option for the likes of me?

Companies will always try push things to the limit and establish precedence to justify for pushing things more to the limit - precedence to set precedence - until you wake up one day and are somehow still okay with the amount of garbage you allow into your life.

Maybe if they didn't demonetize people at the drop of a hat, they'd have more ad revenue.

Aren't creators paid by views / subscriber numbers? If a video has an unskippable ad at the beginning, I'm not watching it period. No matter the content. That's the power of choice.

No. They are paid by viewers watching ads. Content creators have no choice in what kind of ads are served. They click the option to monetize the video, select where ads appear (pre-roll, mid-roll, end of video) and Google automatically serves up the ads, creators have no power to choose which ads and whether or not they're skippable.

Number of subs, average views per video, viewer retention (how long viewers watch your vids), comments, likes/dislikes, favorites, etc all those count at engagement and change how far up or down your videos and channel end up on searches or recommendations.

No. They are paid by viewers watching ads. Content creators have no choice in what kind of ads are served. They click the option to monetize the video, select where ads appear (pre-roll, mid-roll, end of video) and Google automatically serves up the ads, creators have no power to choose which ads and whether or not they're skippable.

Number of subs, average views per video, viewer retention (how long viewers watch your vids), comments, likes/dislikes, favorites, etc all those count at engagement and change how far up or down your videos and channel end up on searches or recommendations.
What about the pop-up ads, that don't interrupt the video? That's about the only thing I find tolerable. But I can't filter ads separately either all or nothing. So I choose nothing. If ads weren't intrusive I'd not even started using adblockers.

Back