YouTube is Showing Twice as Many "Pre-Roll" Ads Now

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a report by AdAge, YouTube is showing viewers two ads before videos instead of one. Apparently, the change was prompted by research suggesting that users don't like to be interrupted during videos. So, instead of showing ads spread throughout a video, YouTube will now group "ad pods" in blocks at the beginning and in the middle of videos, moving the service towards a more TV-like experience.

The ad pods are the latest expression of YouTube's gradually replicating a TV-like experience for viewers and advertisers. Not all videos will come with ad pods, YouTube says, depending on a variety of factors such as the length of the video. Also, viewers will be offered a prompt to dismiss the ad pods during a video and opt for the older breaks format. Whether the strategy is successful remains to be seen. "Why is online trying to replicate the TV model that we all believe is chasing consumers away from TV," says Jim Nail, an analyst with Forrester research. "This makes no sense."

I noticed on my TVs YouTube app I am getting a lot more interrupting ads. It really pisses me off. On the PC what ads?

They are getting bad. I try to watch without Adblock to support the channels I like because I frequent the same ones but lately there have been longer ads at the beginning, more often they're ones you can't skip and then you'll have one sometimes two during the video.

This is so stupid. Somebody in management is looking at this and thinking "Double the ads, double your money! I'm a genius!" Meanwhile the reality is:

1. Less people overall will watch Youtube because it won't be worth sitting through the ads
2. The ones that remain will be more motivated to use ad blocking, thus reducing revenue further.

But hey, they'll probably make more money in the short term and that's all that matters.

This is so stupid. Somebody in management is looking at this and thinking "Double the ads, double your money! I'm a genius!" Meanwhile the reality is:

1. Less people overall will watch Youtube because it won't be worth sitting through the ads
2. The ones that remain will be more motivated to use ad blocking, thus reducing revenue further.

But hey, they'll probably make more money in the short term and that's all that matters.
I don't think #1 will significantly change. YouTube is part of people's daily lives. #2 no doubt will happen. YouTube will only get worse until a legit competitor shows up.

Reactions: Jza
like this
I don't think #1 will significantly change. YouTube is part of people's daily lives. #2 no doubt will happen. YouTube will only get worse until a legit competitor shows up.
For #1 I was thinking more of the casual viewer who may view Youtube every now and again, but by no means addicted to it. Nothing says "watch me" like a bunch of ads.

I think they're not serving ads on videos you're supposed to open in an iframe

So, instead of
theytube.com/watch?v=oKmIbvil_0I

use the embed feature
theytube.com/embed/oKmIbvil_0I

boom, no ads. Also skips age restrictions and such

p.s. that's an actual video of Kyle installing Threadrippers

You're whalecum

Poor ad-block working twice as hard. I don't have time for 20 minutes of ads for every 40 minutes of content, that's why I'm leaving cable, then they try to push the same timewaster ads over streaming? Logic = Fail.

Am running pihole with added YouTube block lists and I’m still getting ads on devices (ATV, Shield), and a LOT of them. Sometimes I’ll get none then all of a sudden there will be like 6 ads in one video, it’s chronic. I’ve actually taken to watching Twitch a bit more these days because of how jarring they are.

27 minute political ad the other day too, so we’re not just talking 5 second and you can skip stuff

On the desktop with uBlock Origin I never see them.

I’m not going to pony up what they’re asking for Red, price is comes down to a couple of dollars a month and maybe they have a deal, but not what they’re asking now

I use Opera browser with this extension: Enhancer for YouTube it works with all browsers. You have no ads at all, the video just plays, dark mode, set your HD setting to play at whatever res right from the start 4k, 1080, etc. I also use 4K Video Downloader, you can download any youtube video at whatever res they upload even 8k, and again you can keep the video and of course no ads. I haven't seen any ads for years. More people should use this extension.

Am running pihole with added YouTube block lists and I’m still getting ads on devices (ATV, Shield), and a LOT of them. Sometimes I’ll get none then all of a sudden there will be like 6 ads in one video, it’s chronic. I’ve actually taken to watching Twitch a bit more these days because of how jarring they are.

27 minute political ad the other day too, so we’re not just talking 5 second and you can skip stuff

I’m not going to pony up what they’re asking for Red, price is comes down to a couple of dollars a month and maybe they have a deal, but not what they’re asking now

Just going to take a guess and say it depends on where the ads are being served from. For a long time ads were being served from secondary servers that were easily logged and blocked (original adblockers were essentially just host file editors). Content providers caught on and some have started hosting the ads alongside the videos on the same servers, so you can't just blanket block https://ads.marketingco.com .. as you'd also block the content video. YouTube maybe transitioning some of their ad videos to this as a way to make ad blocking a tad more tricky.

Now, YouTube Premium (previously YT Red) isn't such a bad deal if you pay for a steaming music service. I dropped Spotify and shifted to YT Premium, the ad-free experience is just a bonus for no additional cost.

I noticed this as well...more ads for most videos...I guess YouTubers need ways to make extra income after the Adpocalypse

Ad pods? The marketing-speek geniuses have PR'd their own special ad-way to hell.

But mere pods of ads will not be enough. Next google will deploy angry ad mobs to saturate what little attention span we have left.

The ads on Youtube android app were getting very frustrating. Ads got injected in middle of sentences which broke the flow of the video (not to mention thought process) and most of all if you were in progress of writing a comment or reply while video was still playing and suddenly an ad started playing you could not even skip it without abandoning everything you wrote up to that poing. I do want to support the few people I am subscribed to but this is getting so ridiculous that soon all mobile Youtubing will go through the Kiwi browser with its built-in adblocking.

Yeah Im getting that with youtube on my mibox and apple tv. I get a lot of unskippable 5-10 minute ads during a session which is really putting me off the service. Ive updated my pihole and tried the adguard DNS which some people have had success with but its no different. Ive read that they are serving the ads through a google domain on the youtube tv platform so expect it to roll out to desktop soon. Google has the power to get around adblockers easily so im surprised they are only doing it now.

Watching junk videos that I dont really pay much attention to is a habbit im trying to break and google is making it easy for me.

Youtube has never been a profitable venture. It would have long since gone under without billions of Google's bucks as a backstop. What options do they have for financial viability going forward?

Youtube has never been a profitable venture. It would have long since gone under without billions of Google's bucks as a backstop. What options do they have for financial viability going forward?

Same as all the others in this capitalistic end-game: hold people upside down and grab the coins as they fall out.

Same as all the others in this capitalistic end-game: hold people upside down and grab the coins as they fall out.
Well my question is this: does the public want a YouTube or not? Or more pointedly, do adblock users want a YouTube or not? The same question can be asked of any user of any website, such as this very one. These sites do cost money to maintain and operate.

I get the feeling many think every website should be run out of altruism, or because the owners do it satisfy their own hobby. At least those are oft cited excuses made to rip content online, such as movies, music, and games.

I just wonder what people want and expect from the internet. Realistically.

Exactly this. They are a CIA company, go look at operation mockingbird, this is just its' latest revision, bread and circuses for the masses to keep you distracted and not digging real things that would change the world, get rid of the entrenched power structures or improve your society.
Look at what they get rid of or hide on their platform, look at all the SJW bullshit pushed in media and you'll know exactly what it is they're trying to 'shout over'. Pretty simple.

Exactly this. They are a CIA company, go look at operation mockingbird, this is just its' latest revision, bread and circuses for the masses to keep you distracted and not digging real things that would change the world, get rid of the entrenched power structures or improve your society.
Look at what they get rid of or hide on their platform, look at all the SJW bullshit pushed in media and you'll know exactly what it is they're trying to 'shout over'. Pretty simple.

There are enemies to freedom within. They are my enemy.

They are getting bad. I try to watch without Adblock to support the channels I like because I frequent the same ones but lately there have been longer ads at the beginning, more often they're ones you can't skip and then you'll have one sometimes two during the video.
Aren't creators paid by views / subscriber numbers? If a video has an unskippable ad at the beginning, I'm not watching it period. No matter the content. That's the power of choice.

I hate ads as much as everyone else. However I have to ask, do you all use ad blockers here at the [H]? How do you expect these craters to get paid? Also dgz did you realize Kyle does not get paid by the ad revenue you just blocked?

Back