YouTube in Talks to Broadcast NBA Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am trying to think of the downside to this but I really can't think of anything right now. What about you?

Google Inc.’s YouTube is in talks with the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League to show live games, building on the popularity of cricket’s Indian Premier League last year, a Google executive said. Google is in talks with “most pro sports leagues” including the NBA and NHL, as well as soccer leagues in Europe, Brian Suh, head of YouTube Partnership at Google’s Korean unit, said separately.

hmm wonder what "most pro sports leagues" includes... being as only the NBA & NHL were mentioned, I'm guessing not the NFL or MLB, and they're talking "most" as in world wide not just stateside.

The NBA and the NHL need the exposure. I don't see NBA League Pass getting as much business as it'd like (given all the free samples and trials they dole out annually), and the NHL just needs viewers period.

MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket are probably doing well enough and don't need a proliferation of webcasting to increase viewership.

Though to be honest, if you locked me in a room with nothing but NFL Red Zone, I'd be content.
...well, for those 7 hours every Sunday at least.

Sounds better than the alternatives. MLB streams games through MLB.TV. I used it for a while and enjoyed the quality of the service, but its very difficult to unsubscribe and the customer service is terrible.

I would LOVE to see NHL games streamed online. I haven't seen a game since I dropped cable.

I would LOVE to see NHL games streamed online. I haven't seen a game since I dropped cable.

Gamecenter Live is a pretty good deal. Stream quality is great and I haven't had any major problems with it.

It blacks out games on National TV and those showing on TV in your local market. So other than not getting the Versus and NHL Network games, it's been great for keeping up with my Pens while going to school at Purdue. Might not be the best if you live in the TV market of your favorite team though

no Vuvuzelas, no interest - still miss those hand-held air horns at U.S. sporting events

i love watching my Laker games in HD on my big screen but I guess I would drop cable if this came to be
why cant cable companies just shape up and give some better pricing models???
ill gladly keep my cable for a fair price... let me pay for only the ~20 channels I actually care about

Here's a downside I can think of.... bandwidth.

I can't even stream 360p videos half the time, 480p occasionally.. and 720p and 1080p forget it. Especially if it's between 8-11pm. Youtube needs to fix their content deliver network before going after more ways to use bandwidth. I have an acceptable streaming experience maybe 50% of the time, and it is not local or citywide congestion.

Definitely dont see this as a bad thing, but then again I get all the NBA I need from NBA TV, ESPN, and TNT. I generally only religously watch during the playoffs, and all those games are on tv.

Also, agree with the person on NFL Red Zone. I totally agree with a commercial I saw about it claiming that it is "revolutionizing the way we watch football".

NBC is showing games on Sundays now- have been the past few years once the Super Bowl is done with. They generally do a decent job too.

That said, I would certainly welcome more access to NHL games online; could care less about the NBA.

NFL will never go for this as they are greedy fucks.
Same reason the refuse, every year, to stream the fuckin super bowl.

Fuck 'em. Boring tripe anyway....

I would love to see nba games on youtube - its hard for me to view games here in New Zealand

Hmm, if they somehow showed as many games a season as ESPN, TNT, and NBC combined I'd care... Otherwise I'll have to keep paying for cable/satellite (thinking of switching from one to the other soon, cable's HD lineup in Puerto Rico is rather anemic).

I've considered buying the NBA League Pass and dropping cable but I do enjoy watching around a dozen games a year from other sports and I'm not about to subscribe to half a dozen streaming services. If pro sports leagues were smart they'd pool their resources and develop one super combined streaming service, it'd give them a ton of leverage over networks and cable companies.

all the playoff games are already on tv i believe.... the only time i really pay attention to nba anyway and who cares about hockey?

I can... NBA, NHL, Soccer... All BORING. Where is the paint drying channel again?

Huge upside. They can get them off broadcast TV, and stop screwing up my regularly scheduled programming!

Back