YouTube Hurts Music Album Sales, Research Finds

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh crap, you know what this means? The RIAA will end up trying to sue YouTube for all those "lost sales." :rolleyes:

The music industry has often cited piracy as the main reason for the decline in music sales over the past decade, but new research suggests that YouTube may have played a role as well. Based on Warner Music's YouTube blackout, researchers conclude that the video streaming portal cost the label up to $40 million in lost album sales per year.

Huh, and here I've been finding artists that I otherwise would have never heard about via Youtube and then purchased their albums.

in other news

“Home taping is killing music.”

—A campaign by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) targeting people who used cassette recorders to tape songs off the radio, 1980

that bad opinion site you posted yesterday has already made itself useful Steve

Youtube would be a good thing if Google didn't get super persistent about watching IP addresses and forcing you have an account with them to make comments or whatever. As it is right now, I don't see how they're getting enough people to visit the site for it to make a difference in how many albums someone buys.

Watch out if your video has even 1 millisecond of music it'll get pulled

i remember making a mix tape off the radio.

Amen... I did the same, as well as record off of Dish back in the day... Never got a e-mail, phone call, or scarlet letter...

And somehow I'm pretty sure TW, Sony, etc., etc., have done just fine since 1994 (for the dish), far earlier for the radio.....

These F*ck*rs never seem to tire of "studies" at advocate / promote their view... Just call it a commercial at this point.....

*grabs popcorn*

That'll be $17, sir.

I've found a lot of good music on YouTube. The good ones even include a link to purchase the song/album. It's a great place to promote your band and music. The music industry just doesn't have as much control and they seem themselves becoming less relevant. You don't need to have a huge marketing group to get you noticed (it helps, though). Too many music industry created artists out there and less 'real' talent.

Youtube would be a good thing if Google didn't get super persistent about watching IP addresses and forcing you have an account with them to make comments or whatever. As it is right now, I don't see how they're getting enough people to visit the site for it to make a difference in how many albums someone buys.

Google would like you to use your real name, because it makes the data they mine more valuable to the corporations who line their pockets. If you use your real name, Google doesn't have to worry about messy allegations of privacy violation, because you placed it in the public venue for them.

music "hurts"? wth... why not just come out and say it, "music" is a sensitive little bitch that can't take one ounce of discomfort or else it'll start crying like it was just raped or something... grow some balls "music"... the real world is a harsh place sometimes, just be happy you are still alive at all

Huh, and here I've been finding artists that I otherwise would have never heard about via Youtube and then purchased their albums.

^This. The RIAA will make up anything they can to try to sue for money. That's their business model now. Accuse, sue, profit. They're not about making music, just using it as a way to extort money.

Huh, and here I've been finding artists that I otherwise would have never heard about via YouTube and then purchased their albums.

I would agree. Unfortunately for the major labels, none of those artists are beholden to them. I've found many independent artists or people signed to very small labels and purchased their albums. YouTube is a fantastic equalizer for letting the independents get their voice out. Independent artists with hundreds of thousands (or millions) of subscribers on their YouTube channel are putting out excellent original music that I can pick up easily. All that without having to be slaves to the major studios.

Fine, but how much money are artists (and labels) making off of YouTube?

Probably not a whole lot. But, it gets them recognized. It's a good marketing tool. They get more than if they don't. They may make a few bucks on sales through YouTube (or more if they have ads and things). Now that I know their name, though, I'll seek them out and look for more of their material. If they are in a nearby town, I'll go watch them play. If they release something new, I'll check it out.

*grabs popcorn*

52bc7f057decaf8ee5c6b39f2369961106c4528181510c0c502391e49216f4c5.jpg

Kids nowadays don't care about the sound quality so they just stream and watch youtube instead of buying records. Last new years party we streamed some of the party music directly from youtube and it wasn't as bad as you would think. Youtube gangnam style from a PA system sounded surprisingly good sound quality wise.

LOL wtf the fuck is the music industry anyway? Go america.... I buy cd's on release all the time, I usually pre order right from the bands record label mail order and if I can I order it from their overseas label. Music industry HAHA I don't listen to anything that would be considered relevant to these "music industry" people anyway so I don't care.

I don't really buy too much music, but the tactics the Recording Industry are using makes me not want to buy any music at all. If there are very many people that think like I do, then that's where they are losing a lot of money. Youtube already runs ads before most videos play, why doesn't the recording idiots run ads. I am sure that would help their bottom line and maybe it would make potential costumers look at them in a different light.

Every wonder why terrestrial radio sucks? Corporations like Clear Channel. Public Enemy front man Chuck D refers to them as, corplantations. Gone are the days of local artists being aired by local DJ's, just homogenized slop that repeats 6 times a day.

"Clear Channel and Why Mainstream radio sucks " -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZw7XplA8Cs

That clip is from a documentary featuring Bonnie Raitt, Erykah Badu, Dave Mathews, Brandford Marsallis, Les Paul, Eric Clapton, and other artists.

It's a $1.99 to watch on YT,

"Before the Music Dies"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7adfZFjHd4

"Youtube costs us $40 million a year!"

I want proof of this, and I mean PROOF, cause you could have money simply on the fact that you released some albums that were not actually crap for once

"Youtube costs us $40 million a year!"

I want proof of this, and I mean PROOF, cause you could have money simply on the fact that you released some albums that were not actually crap for once
That number sounds familiar, doesn't it? Didn't the MPAA say that piracy costs the movie industry $40 billion dollars a year? Something about the number "40" must have tested well in their marketing focus groups :rolleyes:.

And I don't remember the last time I bought an album produced by any of the major labels that are still members of the RIAA. It's all artificial sound and appearance to get the tweens to go crazy over, anyway.

Watched an interview 50 cent did awhile back and they asked him about album sales and piracy. I was shocked that he "got it".

He stated that album sales are a thing of the past, they are just a promotion tool to sell yourself and the brand you offer. If you make a few bucks of an album great but the real money is made in merchandise, live performances, and endorsements.

Promotion is almost free these days.

Well, my research suggests that craptastic artists and music may have played a role.

Funny. I always thought it was the shitty music that was hurting sales and not YouTube. Learn something new everyday I suppose. Now where's my Miley Cyrus CD?

There's no such thing as a lost sale; it is someone selling something at a price higher than most people are willing to pay for it. The MafRIAA and MPAA need to learn that.

I use youtube so my son can watch lots of music videos. He likes the music and he likes to watch people dance. A CD or digitally purchased music still wouldn't have the video, but if there was no youtube maybe I would have purchased some of the albums those songs are on.

But more likely it would just mean that I would know about much less music since I don't listen to the radio, use pandora, or spotify, or RDO, or any of those other services. I find new stuff on youtube and that's it.

When will the music and movie industries stop crying about things they never had.

Back