Youtube & High Quality Videos

Codegen

Gawd
I recently bought a new digital camera (Camera A590 IS on special for $130 CDN at FS, couldn't refuse). The video quality on this thing is great. Perhaps not the best, but kicks the shit out of my old camera.

Now, I'm also a bit of a Transit Enthusiast (Call me weird, won't be the first time :p) , and do like to record videos, and get them up to Youtube. Problem is, is that it seems like no matter how I upload them, it's downgrading the quality to 320 x whatever. Probably wouldn't be so bad if Youtube didn't stretch that out to fit the video box.

Considering some videos are nearly 350MB, I like to compress them. I've tried bringing them to MP4, and around 300kbps, and it still downgrades the quality. I've also tried converting into DivX format, and still, it downgrades the quality.

Any ideas?

From Wikipedia

"YouTube's high quality videos are available in two versions, both of which have a maximum picture size of 480 x 360 pixels. By adding &fmt=6 to the web address of a video, it is played using the H.263 codec with mono sound, and by adding &fmt=18, it is played using the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec with stereo AAC sound.[47]"

So basically, if I don't follow all of that criteria, it will get uploaded as a low quality video?

BTW, here's one I uploaded:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YTkXls7w0

The converted fiel I upload is crystal clear at 640x480, but it's mono, would that effect the outcome? When I add the fmt=18 at the URL, it seems to help, but there's no high quality link available when you go to the video.

Back