Youtube forcing ads on uBlock

Peat Moss

Gawd
I have uBlock which has worked great against any and all ads on youtube for at least 6 years. That is, until about two weeks ago.

Now I notice at the beginning of every video, the screen goes blank and I have to click off 'skip ads' in order to start playing the video. Then at a random point during the video, the screen will go blank again with a notification countdown saying I can skip ads in 5 seconds....

Does anyone know what is going on? Any workarounds? Or should I try a different ad blocker?

I use uBlock also, but I also use no script, privacy badger and ghostery along with it. Cant remeber the last time I saw a you tube add.

I think I'm running AdBlock Plus and I've never seen a Youtube ad while using it.

I use AdbblockPlus and I started noticing ads a week ago. Even ads that say to get some fake ad blocker to get rid of it thats embedded into video

I am using uBlock with Firefox. This has never happened before, and even with the most recent Firefox update it is still happening.

This is what I am seeing.....

Start of every video (all videos, doesn't matter which ones). The screen goes blank, and I have to manually click off the 'skip ad' notification (otherwise the screen stays blank for the duration of the ad that is playing but is still being blocked)

3.jpg

Then at a random point during the video (there is no pattern) there is a countdown to another 'skip ad' notification that I have to manually click off (otherwise the screen goes blank again):

4.jpg

I am using uBlock with Firefox. This has never happened before, and even with the most recent Firefox update it is still happening.

This is what I am seeing.....

Start of every video (all videos, doesn't matter which ones). The screen goes blank, and I have to manually click off the 'skip ad' notification (otherwise the screen stays blank for the duration of the ad that is playing but is still being blocked)

View attachment 333326

Then at a random point during the video (there is no pattern) there is a countdown to another 'skip ad' notification that I have to manually click off (otherwise the screen goes blank again):

View attachment 333327
For the videos seem to last forever till you skip 5minutes plus

It's an ongoing back and forth between YT developers and UO developers. I'm sure UO will get it working again. I moved to Brave a year ago and I don't have to deal with either, it has been a decent browser.

It's an ongoing back and forth between YT developers and UO developers. I'm sure UO will get it working again. I moved to Brave a year ago and I don't have to deal with either, it has been a decent browser.
I never heard of Brave so Ill look into ti

I recall a two day period in which YT was able to get Brave to play ads, but the devs were able to fix it. I also had some issue logging into a game site for account link or something, I want to say it was Ubisoft. It was a very minor inconvenience that I used Chrome to resolve. My biggest issue with Brave though, is that the BAT you can acquire must be redeemed by an uphold.com account. Which in my eyes defeats the purpose of crypto; making it centralized around one wallet.

I recall a two day period in which YT was able to get Brave to play ads, but the devs were able to fix it. I also had some issue logging into a game site for account link or something, I want to say it was Ubisoft. It was a very minor inconvenience that I used Chrome to resolve. My biggest issue with Brave though, is that the BAT you can acquire must be redeemed by an uphold.com account. Which in my eyes defeats the purpose of crypto; making it centralized around one wallet.
I honestly only use brave for mostly super annoying sites with ads or media sites with ads. I can’t comment on any other major use case scenarios. Good info tho.

UPDATE: Okay, so I tried removing uBlock and installed uBlock Origin instead (even though this is supposedly a known problem with uBlock Origin as well). UBlock is a forked version of uBlock Origin that has been stripped down and made lighter (fewer filters and features).

That seems to have solved the problem. No more blank pages or 'skip ads' notifications that I have to manually click off. If it didn't work, I was prepared to switch to Brave.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

UPDATE: Okay, so I tried removing uBlock and installed uBlock Origin instead (even though this is supposedly a known problem with uBlock Origin as well). UBlock is a forked version of uBlock Origin that has been stripped down and made lighter (fewer filters and features).

That seems to have solved the problem. No more blank pages or 'skip ads' notifications that I have to manually click off. If it didn't work, I was prepared to switch to Brave.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.
Never use anything but uBlock Origin.

uBlock isn't forked from uBlock Origin fwiw but was the original project before there was a controversy with a contributor who (IIRC) tried to forcefully assume control of the project/branding so the original dev (gorhill) forked it into uBlock Origin and continued development.

There's likely an article or wiki page about this so I probably didn't need to add this but nevertheless ☺️

uBlock isn't forked from uBlock Origin fwiw but was the original project before there was a controversy with a contributor who (IIRC) tried to forcefully assume control of the project/branding so the original dev (gorhill) forked it into uBlock Origin and continued development.

There's likely an article or wiki page about this so I probably didn't need to add this but nevertheless ☺️

From wikipedia: "The uBlock project official repository was transferred to Chris Aljoudi by original developer Raymond Hill in April 2015, due to frustration of dealing with requests. However Hill immediately self-forked it"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin

You're right. uBlock Origin is actually forked from uBlock. I knew one of them was forked. :)

No it was adblock pro that i used to use. But I look at it like if one doesnt get it, one of the other ones will. Layers of protection.
This is also a good approach on a faster pc. Only issue is higher CPU load on slower or mobile pc with battery limitation.

I have uBlock which has worked great against any and all ads on youtube for at least 6 years. That is, until about two weeks ago.

Now I notice at the beginning of every video, the screen goes blank and I have to click off 'skip ads' in order to start playing the video. Then at a random point during the video, the screen will go blank again with a notification countdown saying I can skip ads in 5 seconds....

Does anyone know what is going on? Any workarounds? Or should I try a different ad blocker?
I have no problem with YouTube on AdBlock, but on Twitch recently it started showing, during streams, a full blue screen with something written like "we noticed that you're using third party tools and it may hinder the Twitch platform bla bla bla" and it stays for about 30 seconds.

I have no problem with YouTube on AdBlock, but on Twitch recently it started showing, during streams, a full blue screen with something written like "we noticed that you're using third party tools and it may hinder the Twitch platform bla bla bla" and it stays for about 30 seconds.
There's more filters you can enable that remove that too.

Ublock has updates you probably need to manually apply. I use youtube adblock too for some reason on one computer it only half works but my personal pc it works fine

I just ran into this on vivaldi mobile. Are there any android browsers that are up to date and can run Ublock etc or get around this? Presuming it'll take time to work around..

I just ran into this on vivaldi mobile. Are there any android browsers that are up to date and can run Ublock etc or get around this? Presuming it'll take time to work around..
Android no you generally run YouTube app and there is a 3 rd party app called vanced youtube

I never heard of Brave so Ill look into ti

Brave is fantastic ! It and UBlock plus ADBlock layered and I have zero ads. I am on youtube allot,and Bitchute daily,as well as Odysee to follow the creators I like,without all the censorship YT is now famous for.

The ads arm race will never die.

Brave is fantastic ! It and UBlock plus ADBlock layered and I have zero ads. I am on youtube allot,and Bitchute daily,as well as Odysee to follow the creators I like,without all the censorship YT is now famous for.

The ads arm race will never die.
I have never heard of either, but Im looking both to see if Im missing anything.
Thanks

Back