YouTube, Disney Ditch PewDiePie over Anti-Semitic Comments

He already earns more money in a year than the vast majority of Americans will in their entire lives. At $61 million networth, I think he'll find a way to scrape by.
Money goes away really fast once you stop getting an income.

Of course that depends. Love or hate the guy, he never struck me as one who lived an outsized life relative to his income.

I always thought he was autistic and annoying, but i'm out of touch with tweens.

Hmm, where did you watch those lets plays? Twitch was the big game streaming service (launched 2011) and the livestreams coming before that on JustinTv doesn't really count.

Its probably wrong to claim he started the whole shebang but he was definitely one of the big players when it went popular, whether he had anything todo with it or if he was just lucky is another debate.
YouTube was still the main host (though some people did use Vimeo before they went crazy and delete all game videos).

But the overall answer is on the Something Awful forums. People have been doing lets plays there for basically a decade.

Specifically though I remember the first LP I watched being Chip Cheezums playthrough of No More Heroes in 2008. It was his 3rd let's play actually.

So for sure he didn't start it at all. As for mass popularity I'd say it's a bit of both. He was lucky and got popular. His popularity helped to bring the concept to mass popularity without a doubt though.

Hence why I emphasized he already has far more money than most people will earn in their entire lives. It my drain fast, but if it's already more than you would ever have WITH an income, not too much worry about.

This has little to do with political correctness and more with defamation. Pewdiepie made a joke in his video, Wall Street Journal takes that clip out of context and makes a defaming article full of lies that spreads like wildfire and this cost pewdiepie millions.

Hell, i dont even like Pewdiepie and consider his content cancerous, but even i would say he should sue the fuck out of WSJ.

H3H3 did a fairly good video about this whole thing :

These days people seem to take things at face value, jump on bandwagons, etc without seeing both sides or finding out the truth before passing judgement.

IMO Pewdiepie has a clear cut case of s defamation against WSJ for that article, it legit hurt his income and image and they took things out of context.

I mean the video they used, literally took things from another vide of his that was LITERALLY about the media mis-representing him, how bad of a journalist do you have to be to do that?

Pewdiepie does not need defending, so I'd like to point to the rather more important thing people seem to be missing in this mess:

This looks to be a case of attempted character assassination of a competitor - and many traditional media are demonstrating rather beautifully why they are being distrusted so.

Could it be <gasp>, that accusations of misogyny, against a certain presidential candidate, failed to damage his chances too much, regardless of whether they are true or not, precisely because of this kind of selective reporting having happened too often?

Last edited:
I've been getting into YouTube lately, specifically channels with some sort of actual theme. For example, this dude Techmoan does some pretty cool videos on retro audio tech amongst other things.

But this guy....I will never understand why or how he is as popular as he is. It's just some narcissistic dope spouting whatever comes to his head at the time. Completely baffling.

Techmoan is great. Might I also suggest AvE, Big Clive, and, if you are into maker stuff, Diresta, and maybe clickspring if you find mini machining interesting.

Gotta love it how "randoming about" or these clingeworthy worthless tech experiments channels get millions of subscribers in a half year but me working my butt off with over 2000 music video promotions uploaded over 4½ years is at a bit over 150,000 subscribers. whyyyyyyyyy xD

Act like a non-judgmental goofy over the top weirdo big brother figure for extremely lonely social autist preteens that create a fake bond over the playing of video games to compensate for their lack of friends. Its actually kind of sad.

That's an offensively accurate stereotype

I don't like him, but I see nothing wrong with the actions taken.

1) Doesn't send the message Disney backs joke or not so they pull out of a Deal..OK fine.
2) Doesn't send the message Google wants so they pulled "Ads" off the videos but otherwise left them alone.
3) His channel continues to exist and he continues to make money off the rest.

Sounds like Freedom of speech and expression working as intended. He made a joke, some didn't find it funny and it cost him a bit of money and a future deal but didn't cost him his entire career. Seems fine to me.

I hope he doesn't change either. These PC media oligarchys are going to reach 'peak pc' at some point it's going to start hurting their profits more than helping them and I think we're close to that point.

Wow he joked about nazis and jews what is this world coming to?

Youtube released guidelines a few months ago saying that they didn't want 'dirty' channels and they didn't want swearing and stuff like that and they basically asked "please keep it nice."

AvE continues to swear and talk about cunt hairs as a measurement so I'm glad he didn't change and his channel is still around. I hope guys like him continue to stand up for our rights to not continue to nerf the world further.

I hope he doesn't change either. These PC media oligarchys are going to reach 'peak pc' at some point it's going to start hurting their profits more than helping them and I think we're close to that point.

Wow he joked about nazis and jews what is this world coming to?

Youtube released guidelines a few months ago saying that they didn't want 'dirty' channels and they didn't want swearing and stuff like that and they basically asked "please keep it nice."

AvE continues to swear and talk about cunt hairs as a measurement so I'm glad he didn't change and his channel is still around. I hope guys like him continue to stand up for our rights to not continue to nerf the world further.

AvE is awesome, he is the kind of guy I could see having a beer with and having plenty to talk about. Interestingly I believe he is fairly close to me as well.

H3H3 did a fairly good video about this whole thing
Just about to post that. These knee-jerk SJW crusaders though don't realize that their manufactured fake outrage and virtue-signaling is doing nothing but pissing off more and more regular people, and literally creating a counter-culture to "balance the Force" as it were.

They don't understand that half the country loves Trump's trolling for that reason. They created Trump. A rational person would realize, hey, maybe I should tone things down and bring myself more towards center as a reasonable and balanced person and learn from this and stop with the victim-bully shenanigans, but nope, they have gone full retard and just double-down, and then will act shocked that the average person is tired of their PC bullcrap and counters in the opposite direction.
I mean the video they used, literally took things from another vide of his that was LITERALLY about the media mis-representing him, how bad of a journalist do you have to be to do that?
Just more fake news, taking lessons from CNN.

I don't follow this guy at all, but I know who he is. And what his content is like. And the meaning behind it.

He's an entertainer and blowhard, and part of his job is shock content.

Pewdiepie is clearly no white supremacist or Nazi sympathiser.

What he is, however, is an inappropriate icon for a company like Disney to be attached to. And at the end of the day, that's up to Disney or any other partner and advertiser to decide.

I can't read the full text of the WSJ article, but I hope they aren't convicting him in the court of public opinion by calling him a Nazi or something. He's a jokester and comedian.

Just about to post that. These knee-jerk SJW crusaders though don't realize that their manufactured fake outrage and virtue-signaling is doing nothing but pissing off more and more regular people, and literally creating a counter-culture to "balance the Force" as it were.

SJWs? I just see a soulless corporation predictably acting in it's best interests. They would have made the same decision long before all the SJW bullcrap nonsense became a thing.

The quote says the guy wanted to point out how crazy "services" online are at present.......

I don't know of any online Nazi services......

I have never seen him online, my children have mentioned him from time to time, my son thinks he's pretty lame as I recall.

Honestly, who cares what this guy has to say. He's not in charge of anything. He plays video games and babbles online.
If you don't like what he has to say, don't watch.

Nothing to see here......

Except for some old media carefully harvesting youtube videos for clips, completely taken out of context, which paint one of their major competitors as an anti-semitic nazi-sympathiser.

Amusingly, most news stories reporting on this should be classified as fake news if one were to apply the same standards on them as those same old media have been applying to some right wing stories.

The quote says the guy wanted to point out how crazy "services" online are at present.......

I don't know of any online Nazi services......

I have never seen him online, my children have mentioned him from time to time, my son thinks he's pretty lame as I recall.

Honestly, who cares what this guy has to say. He's not in charge of anything. He plays video games and babbles online.
If you don't like what he has to say, don't watch.

I care what he has to say. I also care what you have to say. Any other questions?

They don't understand that half the country loves Trump's trolling for that reason. They created Trump. A rational person would realize, hey, maybe I should tone things down and bring myself more towards center as a reasonable and balanced person and learn from this and stop with the victim-bully shenanigans, but nope, they have gone full retard and just double-down, and then will act shocked that the average person is tired of their PC bullcrap and counters in the opposite direction.

Just more fake news, taking lessons from CNN.

This. I totally agree with this, the left has just gone bonkers and I'm glad people are catching on, because there's hope to turn this around. The PC idiocy has crossed the line a long time ago.

Biting the hand that feeds him... I'm no fan of so-called PC culture, but Pewds didn't get to where he is now on the backs of Klansmen and skinheads. If he wants to be that guy, I'm sure Breitbart can set him up with a new channel, however one not so lucrative.

This. I totally agree with this, the left has just gone bonkers and I'm glad people are catching on, because there's hope to turn this around. The PC idiocy has crossed the line a long time ago.

I can't say that I completely side with Felix there. Malcaldor, Ducman69 does have a point over making mountains out of molehill, but PewDiePie should've been well aware of that and make a very deliberate attempt to stamp a *pun's intentional* when he's got millions of dollars riding on his words in the first place.
Everything that Felix Kjellberg puts out is self-curated produced content that has commercial value. Kjellberg's brand maintenance issue is completely his own personal problem.

As things stand, you must ruin and explain your own joke if you wish to fight the excessive political correctiveness, since you are surrounded by liars who tells lies with straight faces.

This was all started by alarmists attempting to get clicks.

No-one was ever really offended.

This just proves the Internet can make a complete idiot look like a genious and get rich doing it by getting like minded idiots to follow them. Score one more for the Internez.

Back