YouTube Are Criminal Piracy Racketeers, Grammy Winner Says

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't care which side of this debate you come down on, you have to admit it was funny when this lady said Congress is too hypnotized by Alphabet lobbyists, that are "swarming like locusts," to defend the Constitution and the citizens of this country.

“YouTube is guilty of criminal racketeering,” Schneider wrote in an open letter to the platform. “YouTube has thoroughly twisted, contorted, and abused the original meaning of the outdated DMCA ‘safe harbor’ to create a massive income redistribution scheme, where income is continually transferred from the pockets of musicians and creators of all types, and siphoned directly into their own pockets.”

Their lobbying was as good as Google's, so they bitch. What exactly is piracy on YouTube? Small clips of music or video, or full uploads to YouTube? If it's the first, everything is a remix. If it's the latter, YouTube is trying to constantly fight it. Can't blame them if someone wants to share last nights episode of Love Triangle and wanted to share it with the world, and forget that it's piracy.

While its pretty awesome to find pretty much anything on YouTube, it certainly has changed from "Broadcast Yourself" to upload whatever media you can get your hands on and hope nobody notices. I think they should just move all the videos that aren't someone's own video they recorded themselves to a new royalty paid, monthly charged streaming service like Netflix and call it something else.

While this is true for a very very brief period of time and increasingly NOT the case, publishers very quickly take control and monetize concerts, videos and songs, etc etc on youtube. I've read an article or two where companies are making record profits off youtube as many claim ownership and get all proceeds of such content.

Companies are sketchy as fukk. I assure you there are many companies out there profiting and then telling their artists another entirely different story. So easy to point the finger at youtube. Is youtube squeeky clean? Hell no but nether are many companies out there. Something tells me this Grammy winner only knows half the story.

Trust me, people do not play around with money. there is a line a 100 miles long of people waiting to get their money from youtube. You better believe.

Great little song.

Kinks Destroyer is one of the first albums I ever bought as a kid. Cost me $5 or $6 in 1980 or 81. I was 12 lol.

There is a kernel of truth to what's she is saying, but with all foaming at the mouth she is spouting, she sure sounds like she has not clue to how new media works on the internet, and how artists are leveraging it to make a living.

The whole DMCA thing on Youtube is the WILD WEST. Creators can't use any precreated sounds that they paid for the right to use. The creators will be bombarded with not just one right claim but a handful. How can more than one person own the right to something confuses me. Also the DMCA takedowns and rights claims are also used by people who don't own the right to that asset as a way to silence the video creator. Three claims against a Youtube account is an automatic deletion, sounds like a perfect way to get that political channel removed who you don't agree with their views. Once a Youtube creator gets the illegitimate claims removed the video is now pointless from a money making perspective because it doesn't show up in searches, and it isn't rebroudcasted to the followers as new content.

They're the criminal racketeers. They want to mute my videos for having something partially play in the background behind sound effects and talking over, disregard fair use, then after muting the entire video so there is no sound, still want to make money from the videos that no longer play anything whatsoever. They are the ones that determine what will be allowed and what won't-- and can monetize your video for a year then decide to change the rules, along with their convoluted scheme of every music clip having 3 or 4 different owners.

Hell, I really don't care if they want to make money from my videos, but when they suddenly decide, fuck your whole audio track, we got paid now you can eat shit... And then all appeals just go back to them without any third party they can just say fuck you and strike the whole video down for some shitty obscure crap song that played for 20 seconds in the background of a 90 minute video, they can go fuck themselves.

They bully and abuse people and ignore the law themselves, then complain they're being screwed over and everybody else is the criminal.. The guillotine can't come back fast enough.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Youtube actually does a pretty good job going after pirates. If anything they are a little overzealous.

Youtube actually does a pretty good job going after pirates. If anything they are a little overzealous.

Yeah, really. Plus the music industry is the one that processes all of the appeals, which, of course they're going to find for themselves, with threats of nuking your entire account if you bug them too much.

They're probably just pissed that Google questioned that, and this is their not so subtle threat to them for doing so.

Back