YouTube Altering Recommendations to Show Less Flat Earth Conspiracies

So this happens and Google is smart enough for us to censor flat earth ideas but crackpot religion theories of "Poof, we got here by the will of some unknown SuperBeing God" is ok?

Huh.

So today it is Flat Earthers. I wonder who is next? Anti-Vaxxers, Climate Change Deniers, Health At Every Size proponents? Why stop there, most cults/religions also propagate crackpot teachings like exorcism, miracles, etc.

Is this really censorship though? They aren't removing the videos entirely, they are just not assisting with the spread of crackpot theories.
It is censorship. Because if something on the Internet cannot be found by Google, it might as well not exist.

Flat earthers are just the test balloon, because nobody will go and defend what they say.

Google is making an idiocy filter, at what level do we filter out democrats, republicans, communists and religion? I definitely want this selectable because I want those filtered out but want to keep in the flat earthers.

Last edited:
Is this really censorship though? They aren't removing the videos entirely, they are just not assisting with the spread of crackpot theories.
The only problem is, is who is the one saying which opinions are crackpot and which aren't? (I mean this shit IS crackpot) but I want that determination left up to me, not google.

what they ought to do is demonetize such videos, and add a disclaimer that such videos are not factually based scientifically and point to a different source that explains why that is.

otherwise you are just convincing the nut theories out there by censoring. they need to be educated, not further feeling vindicated in their beliefs via censoring.

Then you get google being the arbiter of knowledge. Which is what you don't want. This flat earth crap is an extreme example, but you def don't want a company, especially one so biased, being the 'end all, be all' of factual determination.

The problem is the recommendation algorithm goes way to deep sometime. I watch a video on Neil DeGrasse Tyson eating spicy wings, it recommends videos including NDT debunks flat earth, now even without me clicking on that video it also had others debunking flat earth as well as videos about flat earth. I mean Christ little key word recommendations are annoying and god forbid I click on one, then that's most of what is recommended

That was a good video. of course now my feed is full of wings video but oh well.

Back