YouTube Adds Feature to Fact-Check Viral Conspiracy Videos and Fake News

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Continuing its effort to combat misinformation, YouTube has announced that future searches involving sensitive topics will be accompanied by “information panels” with debunks from fact-checking partners to alert users of potentially incorrect content. The videos themselves will not be fact checked, however; they will still appear in the search results.

Videos containing misinformation can still appear in the search results, but YouTube will generate these disclaimers when a query involves sensitive topics, with the intent to inform viewers as the company deals with the spread of misinformation on the platform. The feature is currently available to a limited number of users in India, one of YouTube’s largest markets with nearly 250 million users, for search queries in English and Hindi. The company said it will eventually expand it to users across the world, but declined to say when.

Hysterical how "fact" is rarely involved with "fact checking"; Double Plus Ungood. I remember a wonderful time when my education actually prepared me to discern fact from fiction and I did not need to rely on others to check my "facts"

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

Is there a betting pool on how long before a legitimate warning about some issue gets labeled as 'sensitive or mis-information' and folks die after they ignored the warning because well Youtube told them to.

dont worry that weedkiller wont give you cancer - youtube fact checking sponsered by monsato :troll:

I wouldn't doubt it. Monsanto has one of the most aggressive social media groups on Reddit. There's a list of names of known shills but you could usually find them just by mentioning a few keywords and they'd appear within hours to defend the company (despite claiming to not be involved with said company). It's fascinating to see the information campaign play out as across a multitude of subreddits, the same names keep popping up to defend them like it was their job.

Recalculating, recalculating,
Well it's not like the young are being educated they need to be good drones. Turn the tv on it is a shame what is now allowed to be shown, pc and agendas.

Who fact checks the fact checkers?

Is there a betting pool on how long before a legitimate warning about some issue gets labeled as 'sensitive or mis-information' and folks die after they ignored the warning because well Youtube told them to.
Probably a while. They're likely to get things that will kill you rapidly correct (tide pods are not safe to eat). Things they're likely to get wrong would lead to death either very slowly or be too indirect to link (X product is safe, even though it will give you cancer in 20 years, who's killing who in a war for what reason, etc.)

Hysterical how "fact" is rarely involved with "fact checking"; Double Plus Ungood. I remember a wonderful time when my education actually prepared me to discern fact from fiction and I did not need to rely on others to check my "facts"
Where is that double like button? Education has changed a lot since I was in school. Apparently we no longer need to teach kids facts they just have to go by their "feelings" If it "feels right" then it is right.....

Knowing your not alone in your dissent to corporate messaging is a conspiracy that must be purged.

Where is that double like button? Education has changed a lot since I was in school. Apparently we no longer need to teach kids facts they just have to go by their "feelings" If it "feels right" then it is right.....

As a young guy, when I was in school, it sure felt right to not explain my work, especially math, but I had to anyways. Maybe it's because I live in Alabama.

Back