[YourNextBoard] Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 - P55 mATX w/ SLI+Xfire

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
Source and more pics: http://www.cpu3d.com/review/7998-1/exclusive-gigabyte-ga-p55m-ud4-motherboard-matx/introduction.html

Well, probably won't be my next board til P57 + 32nm but....

DAMN! Look at that NB!! THERE IS NONE! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
No more "NB melted my board and BBQ my ranch", no more "will my HSF fit?"

Ima cry a lil.

PCIE lanes are 16x but defaults to 8x8x for 2 cards (just like P45).

img0134aou.jpg

img0142f.jpg

Oh look at it, it has a reasonable name scheme! The world might not end after all.

Looks really great, the space around the CPU socket seems huge.

Thats so weird... I think I still prefer the NB/SB on the motherboard type design... then again, I'm using AMD.

Uh, does it matter for you as end-user? :confused: I don't feel affected by the fact that there is no northbridge.

I think I still prefer the NB/SB on the motherboard type design... then again, I'm using AMD.

I'm sure the rest of us would like a a spaceheater in the middle of the board :rolleyes: Way to think backwards - more unnecessary crap the better :rolleyes:

Uh, does it matter for you as end-user? :confused: I don't feel affected by the fact that there is no northbridge.

Well, the way I see it. It could possibly effect overclocking. Just like how an onboard GPU effects overclocking of the NB...

I mean, it's just a thought. I may be showin my newbness here but, that's only because I've yet to read up on the P55/i5.

Then you should read up on i5 and preliminary reviews to show less newbness :D

IDE and floppy still, really? That looks like an eSATA/USB combo port like on laptops, interesting, but is the eSATA on the Intel controller and not on whatever is controlling the white SATA and IDE ports?

I think I just creamed myself.....

Man, I think I may jump on this when it comes out. Hopefully it OCs like a monster. :)

Hm, I don't know. MSI's X58 mATX board is extremely affordable right now, I'd be more inclined to grab that and get x16/x16. This thing would have to be priced really well (like, around $99) to compete with that.

Why this board needs to be price $70 below MSI's X58 is beyond me. And Gigabyte is usually priced higher than MSI (so you might as well say all Gigabyte X58 boards need to be priced at least $100 less to match MSI's offerings... and yet they keep selling).

I am hesitant (perhaps only because I own a Rampage II Gene), but I don't believe you can take an i7, bolt a northbridge under the IHS and everything still fits....well.

What do I know?

I do know that if you have an i7 you have no reason to envy the P55 platform.

Don't get me wrong, this is a damn-fine board, but the only thing I'm really looking forward to concerning the P55/i5 platform is an ITX board with PCI-E 16x.

If Zotac could fit a 16x slot on the 9300, I don't see why they couldn't do it on a chipset without a northbridge.

Is it revealed/can it be extrapolated, if the mounting holes are the same as 1366?

No they will not be.

Bit-Tech said:
In it's infinite wisdom (ahem!) Intel has designed the LGA1156 socket so that it's neither compatible with LGA775 nor LGA1366. This has a series knock on effect on CPU cooler design, as the spacing between the mounting holes in the motherboard are subtly different between each CPU type.

For example the holes in LGA775 motherboards are spaced 72mm apart, while LGA1366 motherboards have holes spaced 80mm apart. In contrast, according to Intel the holes in a LGA1156 motherboard have to be 75mm apart. This is only a few mm different from LGA775, but either means that cooler manufacturers need to come up with new a whole new design, or at the very least design a new mounting mechanism.

AFAIK the mounting holes for s1156 are like halfway between s775 and s1366 spacing, and compatible with neither. But like s775->s1366 mounting solutions, you'll get adapter plates that will let you mount s775 or s1366 heat sinks to s1156.

The naming scheme sucks shit... i7 is generally seen as a X58 part but now they're branding some i7 CPUs as LGA1156? Damn, tonnes of headache on the horizon.

Back