[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

THe silverstone psu might be good, but not that good.
Even if it hits 85% efficiency on a 450watt psu it will only produce: 382 Watts.

That's not how it works. A 450W psu can deliver 450W output. In producing that, some of the input was lost to heat. This means that in order to deliver 450W, draw from the wall will be 513W (110V) or 504W (220V).

Aren't you guys worried about the massive power draw the Titan will have ?
It consumes 429 watts just playing Battlefield (including the rest of the system)
Most sites reviewing the Titan has a CPU with a high powerconsuming overclock. when I had the GTX 580 with intel 2500K @ stock speeds and a little undervolting I managed to pull "only" 318W from the wall.

Its also important to see the difference between real and artificial power draw, meaning real life gaming and programs like Furmark.

Hi Guys.
I want to try something new, and decide to change my antec 620 out for some air cooling. After some research, I found out that the thermalright AXP 140 or silverstone nt06 pro are the best for this case. If i take the Axp 140, then i'll have to use a 150mm depth fan, and the nt06 pro has a 200mm depth fan.
I just wonder if this is an cooling upgrade or downgrade ?

info:
I have a Z77e ITX board, and i'll be using the PCI-e.
cpu: I5-2500k @ 4.5ghz at 1.26v

Looking to build another system in a SG05. Anyone know though if the power and reset buttons are replaceable?

I'm looking to get the white version, but I don't like the transparent smoke color of the buttons.

imag0781d.jpg
A few weeks ago I would have gone nuts after seeing how you managed to fit a Ain1 water cooler in that case with the ODD tray still in there, but I've decided to go with the NT06-Pro since then.

Planning on picking up some parts next week and I'm still tossing between the 660 Ti and 670.

Quick question about the drive bays, does the 3.5" dock block the airflow that much? Was considering just using a 2.5" SSD and HDD, but I've got a 3.5" HDD from my old tower that I could still use.

Quick question about the drive bays, does the 3.5" dock block the airflow that much? Was considering just using a 2.5" SSD and HDD, but I've got a 3.5" HDD from my old tower that I could still use.

The 3.5" dock won't fit. That's why i even had to cut out with a dremel one whole side and bottom of the 2,5" disk mount.

You could probably extend that wall that I'm using to secure 2 x 2,5" disks with an aluminium plate and mount a 3,5" drive closer to the ODD and then a 2,5" disk below it. It could work! I'm sticking to 2,5" drives though. I like the compact size.

Also finding a 92mm water cooler is quite hard these days

Great work xinux :D

This is what makes the SG05 the best ITX case on the market. it has no rivals...

Anyone know if there are any options for dust filters on the SG-05 like the TJ08B-E has? Even just magnetic ones that fit to the outside? http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303
Did you mean for the front fan or for the vents on the case? Either way, google is your friend.

Also, can anyone recommend an air cooler for an i5-3470 (3.2 ghz no overclocking) that fits the SG-05?
Try the Silverstone NT06-Pro or the Thermalright AXP-140.

Anyone know if there are any options for dust filters on the SG-05 like the TJ08B-E has? Even just magnetic ones that fit to the outside? http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303

I had Vincent at DemciFlex make me a couple of custom magnetic flexible filters. For SG05 it needs to be: internal dimension 205mm x 85mm and external dimension 229mm x 109mm. The filters were reasonably priced, although shipping from South Africa was almost half the total cost.

Until Silverstone actually gets around to updating the SG05 with a fancy aluminium cover, room for an Ain1 water cooler and a 450W Gold PSU.
You mean like the FT03-mini? >_>

This :)

If you want to get technical, the SG05 is a desktop, whereas the FT03-mini is a tower. Bit of a difference.

How you stand it on your desk doesn't change the fact that it's an SG05 under the hood. I have both and much prefer the smaller footprint of the Mini, and the looks of course.

How you stand it on your desk doesn't change the fact that it's an SG05 under the hood. I have both and much prefer the smaller footprint of the Mini, and the looks of course.

I would like it if the SG05 got a bit of a face lift, but if people prefer the FT03-mini, then it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

Started poking around for parts recently. Australian retailers aren't that well stocked, so I'll have to use several of them. Apparently there's no Corsair Vengeance low profile ram in blue anywhere in my city.

No Samsung Green magic ram either?

To be honest, I haven't really looked into ram. Corsair has a good reputation so I stuck with them. The colour isn't really that important, butI think it would look nice in an Asus P8Z77-I.

Had a quick look at some reviews of that Samsung Green ram. Is there supposed to be something special about it?

Had a quick look at some reviews of that Samsung Green ram. Is there supposed to be something special about it?

Oh yes. For a start it has a black PCB despite the name so doesn't need a heatspreader to look nice; other low profile ram you often have to accept the green colour. It's one of the first ram products 30nm silicon. But why people call it "magic" is that it overclocks consistantly well at stock volts, e.g. 1866MHz @ 1.35V. Some people have been getting amazing results like 2400MHz @ 1.5V or lowering the timings to 7-7-7-18 (1T).

I read somwhere that overclocking RAM wasn't really worth the effort and was somewhat risky.

Then it's still worth it for the PCB colour and the low power consumption :)

Anyone do something different with the slimline drive bay? I'm looking for something different to put in the slimline bay. Don't use my optical drive anymore. I would put something like a Matrix Orbital screen in there, but their LCDs are made for standard 5.25" drive bays.

I got the nVidia GTX Titan installed in my SG05. For anyone wondering, installing this card requires cutting a rectangle out of the case's front metal panel. It is too long for the case otherwise.

Once the cutout is complete, the card doesn't require much in positioning to get it in there. It does touch the plastic bezel, so be sure to remove the SG05's plastic bezel first before installing or removing the card.

The card is very quiet at idle. I once tried an EVGA 660ti with the blower cooler in this case and had to return it due to the noise even at idle. The blower fan on the Titan is much nicer.

I used a nibbler to make my cut, then sanded the edges and thoroughly vacuumed and air-blasted the case afterwards.

Still need to test and see what this thing can do.

I got the nVidia GTX Titan installed in my SG05. For anyone wondering, installing this card requires cutting a rectangle out of the case's front metal panel. It is too long for the case otherwise.

Once the cutout is complete, the card doesn't require much in positioning to get it in there. It does touch the plastic bezel, so be sure to remove the SG05's plastic bezel first before installing or removing the card.

The card is very quiet at idle. I once tried an EVGA 660ti with the blower cooler in this case and had to return it due to the noise even at idle. The blower fan on the Titan is much nicer.

I used a nibbler to make my cut, then sanded the edges and thoroughly vacuumed and air-blasted the case afterwards.

Still need to test and see what this thing can do.

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

I'm going to be using an ASRock Z77E-ITX in the SG05. The Z77E-ITX has a MSATA slot on the underside and accessing is a pain once the board is in a case. Has anyone tried cutting an opening on the underside of the SG05 so underside components (heatsink backplate, MSATA slots, etc.) are easier to access? The metal of the SG05's bottom / underside seems pretty thick. Wonder if this will be doable with a Dremel...

I'm thinking of cutting out a square-shaped opening within the area b/w the SG05's standoffs. I hope an opening in that area is enough to be able to access any heatsink backplate and the MSATA slot on my board.

Back