So I finally managed to finish my SG06 build:

Intel i7 980x
Shuttle FX58 (275mm long)
4 x 4GB low profile kingston 1333Mhz DDR3
Gainward GTX680 2GB
Panasonic BD-ROM / DVD-RW SATA
OCZ Vertex 2 128GB SSD
Toshiba 160GB HDD

Originally what I set out to do was to build as small and as powerful box as i could.
I had a Shuttle SX58J3. One thing that bothered me about the shuttle was that there was too much space inside being wasted on nothing. So I was looking at miniaturising my shuttle box.

After playing around with a dremel a bit, i started hacking up my original SX58J3 case.
One thing I wasn't using was the 5,25" bay drive. I had no need for that much space.
I started cutting down the case however things slowly started to become unstable. The steel became too thin in places and it started to look a bit too much like a train wreck.

I then started to design a case in AutoCad that I wanted to make out of acrylic. It took me 2 weeks to design the case and as I was nearing my design process I stumbled upon the SG06.

I hung around the HardForums for a while (before joining), especially this thread. I was trying to get a feel for the dimensions of the SG05 / SG06 cases to see if i can make my shuttle motherboard fit.

Eventually I took the plunge and bought the SG06 (due to the longer/wider bezel at the front i thought I'd have a better chance of making it work)

I had to do a ton of modifications to make this all work:
- Drill through new standoffs as the shuttle motherboard isn't fully ITX compliant. It's closer to a DTX board
- Use heat shrink to cover existing standoffs so they don't short out anything underneath the motherboard
- Cut up the front of the SG06 case to help the 275mm long Shuttle FX58 motherboard fit
- Cut up the front bezel a bit to remove some excess mounts and the power button io board so that the ATX24 plug for the motherboard would fit. Now I use the "reset" button on the back of the case as a power button. The HDD lights and Power lights work without issues, didn't have to modify that. I can also only use 1 usb port on the front as the FX58 motherboard has only USB 2.0 ports and only 1 x USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.
- Since i couldn't install the original heatsink from the shuttle into this case (wouldn't fit) i had to find an alternative. The challenge here was that the motherboard despite it having a 1366 CPU, the mounting points were actually in the form of the old socket 478 / Pentium 4. Try finding a heatsink big enough to take out the heat of a 135W TDP cpu that was made / compatible with socket 478 ! Eventually I found one on ebay, out of a Point of Sale (POS) machine ! It was perfect. I made a few cuts to it so that the heatsink could fit with the existing heatsinks on the IO's of the motherboard and the RJ45 ports on the back.
- Then another problem i had was that the DIMM slots were too close to where the fan mounts. I have enough space there for a 120x120x12mm fan. They are pricey and hard to find and the produce the same amount of CFM as 92x92x25 fans, and since i had a few of those laying around i proceeded to make modifications to the case to make the front mount 92mm compatible. I chose to work with 3mm acrylic to accomplish this. Its sturdy enough but easy enough to alter with a dremel / drill. Worked like a charm.
- After I made the 92mm fan mount for the front, i kept modifying it a bit to make one of the sata ports available. It was originally blocking both sata ports that were on the inside of the case. The case's front metal panel is actually between a set of 4 sata ports. 2 are inside the case, 2 are outside. I wanted to have 2 HDDs and an optical drive so i needed to modify the fan mount to make at least 1 port inside the case usable. The two sata ports on the outside were connected to with normal sata cables which were routed through the filter bracket openings between the metal case and the acrylic mount.
- Next i made a fan shroud out of acrylic and used Kneadit to join the individual pieces. This fan shroud is to maximize airflow over the heatsink. Once again a very long process of measuring spaces, planning on paper and cutting the acrylic. Also had a bit of a challenge with using the kneadit putty. It didnt want to stick to the acrylic very well. Sticks to your fingers better. But in the end i figured it out that if you use a bit of sand paper on the acrylic first to make the surface nice and rough, the putty sticks to it without too many problems. Once the fan shroud was done, I cut out opening for the heatpipes in the shroud to make it fit nice and snug and used some hot glue to attach the final "mounting" piece that holds the shroud in place - against the fan. After that I covered the shroud with some PVC tape. I thought of painting it, but at this stage the project was dragging on for too long already and i was very eager to get my machine back in running order ready for February's lineup of games ;)

Needless to say this was a painful process. Lots of measuring, cutting, dusting off, measuring, adjusting, cutting …… you get the idea, the job was finally done.
Even the final build was quite difficult and frustrating to put together. I had to remove absolutely everything out of the case apart from the motherboard and the attached heatsink to get the GTX680 in.
There's only a few mm's left between the 680GTX and the case so it was quite a challenge to make it work.

Below are some pictures from the journey. I don't have a final pic of the build, but basically on the outside it looks like a normal SG06 build.
The front panel fits perfectly. Hides all the cables and sits flush with the case.
Also for those interested in the temperatures and power draw:

I did the 3D Mark 2011 physics + graphics combined test @ 1080p … performance was around 21 fps. Power draw never exceeded 350 Watt's
Temperatures after letting this thing run for an hour were about 60c for the CPU and about 65c for the GPU.

imag0642q.jpg

imag0663t.jpg

imag0656d.jpg

imag0695p.jpg

imag0655b.jpg

imag0667j.jpg

imag0683z.jpg

imag0659s.jpg

imag0654s.jpg

imag0668f.jpg

imag0693i.jpg

imag0662k.jpg

imag0696h.jpg

imag0681v.jpg

imag0687v.jpg

imag0701a.jpg

No. Seems high.

Can you verify that your front case fan is set to intake? And which way up is your PSU fan? Best CPU temps should be with PSU fan helping exhaust from above the CPU.

WiSK can you even change fan setting direction? Can I check it from bios or something?

No, you have to turn the fan physically. You can check it by holding a 120x120mm piece of paper to the front of the case. If it sticks to the mesh then it's intake, which is good. If it blows away then you need to flip your fan.

XFX Double D R7950 in SG05

Cover off (to show hole cutout)

E3APIsH.png

YKvLO42.png

Cover on (to show no hole needed on front plastic)

zlyDJWO.png

c38IYJ1.png

Hi dark 79
What cooler are u using to achieve 4.6ghz oc, and at what Volt ? How high are the temps when u do prime95 ver 27.9
My setup is hanging around 73C, with an antec h620 p/p at 4.5ghz 1.26volt.
I'm thinking of replacing the cooler, or replacing the fans.

Hi dark 79
What cooler are u using to achieve 4.6ghz oc, and at what Volt ? How high are the temps when u do prime95 ver 27.9
My setup is hanging around 73C, with an antec h620 p/p at 4.5ghz 1.26volt.
I'm thinking of replacing the cooler, or replacing the fans.

I'm using a H50 at 1.34v. 4.60 is the max this board can do. No idea what load temps are. Haven't checked in awhile.

EDIT: Ran a quick test. My hottest core sits around 73C while the other cores are upper 60s

EDIT2: Fixed voltage :p

Last edited:
I'm using a H50 at 1.34v. 4.60 is the max this board can do. No idea what load temps are. Haven't checked in awhile.

EDIT: Ran a quick test. My hottest core sits around 73C while the other cores are upper 60s

EDIT2: Fixed voltage :p

Then my temps are totally wrong, i need to replace fans, or replacing the tims

Any of u guys/girls using either Thermalright AXP-140 or silverstone NT06-Pro ?
How are they comparing to the antec h620 or cosair h50 ? can u guys report back with temps and OC speed of i5-2500K.

I hope to install a Scythe Orochi in my SG-05 this week. It'll be a close fit if it works and I have another system in mind just incase it doesn't go in. It's been sitting in customs for a week, couldn't find one in the US:/

I will be able to tell if I can add a video card after the install then I'll post some pics up. I'm looking at something small like a 7750 or 7770 (picopsu only) but don't want to order if the pci-e slot is blocked.

Fingers crossed:D

Any of u guys/girls using either Thermalright AXP-140 or silverstone NT06-Pro ?
How are they comparing to the antec h620 or cosair h50 ? can u guys report back with temps and OC speed of i5-2500K.

Temperature comparisons for NT06-Pro:
http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/cooling/silverstone-nt06-pro-low-profile-cpu-cooler-review/6/

The AXP-140 won't fit in the SG05 with the included fan, so you'll have to get a slim fan, like the Scythe Slip Stream. Results will be different using the slim fan, so results will be different to those of reviews.

what is a good 120mm fan for NT06-Pro? People don't seem to like the NT06 stock fan

If by normal you mean 25mm, look at this:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039504400&postcount=27.

Basically, you can put a 25mm fan underneath, but it won't be blowing fully on the fins, so that will reduce performance. There's not enough size in the case to put a 25mm fan on top. But people swear by scythe fans and from what I've seen, the slim Scythe is usually recommended,

However, I do not know whether you can fit a slim fan on top to get a push-pull system going. Might be something you could look into.

Just wanted to post back that the Scythe Orochi does indeed fit in a sg05. It only has 1-2mm of clearance from the top. I'll try to get some pics up in a week or two when I get a graphic card added.

It's pretty ghetto looking atm. I had to add a pico psu to make room for this to fit. I went to plug the brick into the wall and heard a loud pop as the brick sprayed sparks everywhere. Just bought it so I will need to do an exchange.

I currently have the system sealed up with the stock psu outside the back of the case. I routed the wires through the opening for the stock psu.

My load temps are about 10c higher then before but I am fanless right now. I was using a scythe Kozuti with stock fan on the lowest speed setting. It was very loud and I am glad it is gone.

I will probably add a silent fan to the side of the Orochi just incase. I don't need it but I am using the Asrock A75 mitx board that likes to start on fire.

I put my SG06 build together, uploaded a bunch of photos for anyone to check out.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/J1QnJ

A few highlights:

kLKqNxBh.jpg

h4NbKivh.jpg

BoxOCjXh.jpg

yyp7IB8h.jpg

Not too fond of the load temps, thinking about flipping the CPU fan upwards and moving the extra PSU wires to another location so that I can blow warm air directly up.

Todays fun info is that the new and awesome (and expensive) Geforce GTX Titan probably fits like a glove with some modding and has not to high TDP :)

its more or less the same card as the gtx 580 when it come to TDP and size

No, just Prime 95 running. Also thinking of replacing the case intake fan with a PWM model, I'd like my idle temp to be lower.

I will say that I am NOT a fan of the Asus AI Suite - it reports the CPU temperature from the socket and not from the cores. This causes a ~20C difference.
While the CPU cores are 70C, AI Suite reports a nice 50C and the CPU fan does not act accordingly.

Last edited:
Yeah Asus FanXpert is prettier than most fan control software, and somewhat user friendly. But as you say it follows the wrong sensor and for absolutely no good reason it disallows PWM values below 10% on CPU header and 40% on chassis header. SpeedFan allows 0-100% PWM and will let you control fans based on any sensor, or an aggregate or max value of several sensors.

70C CPU only? What method did you use for seating the block?

Todays fun info is that the new and awesome (and expensive) Geforce GTX Titan probably fits like a glove with some modding and has not to high TDP :)

its more or less the same card as the gtx 580 when it come to TDP and size

Has any reviewer posted the exact length of the card?
I read somewhere "about 27cm". Also read 10.5", but that is not specific enough.
10.54" = no fit
10.47" = tight fit

Just dropped a GTX 670 into my little monster last week. This case holds so much power for it's size. I'll update with some pics if anyone is interested. I have been overly impressed since I got this case and completely happy.

Yeah Asus FanXpert is prettier than most fan control software, and somewhat user friendly. But as you say it follows the wrong sensor and for absolutely no good reason it disallows PWM values below 10% on CPU header and 40% on chassis header. SpeedFan allows 0-100% PWM and will let you control fans based on any sensor, or an aggregate or max value of several sensors.

70C CPU only? What method did you use for seating the block?

Not really a method, I basically put a pea-sized amount of thermal paste on the CPU, then attempted to fasten the cooler down without moving around too much. AMD sockets are much easier to work with.

What is the best way to install a cooler with the Intel socket?

Has any reviewer posted the exact length of the card?
I read somewhere "about 27cm". Also read 10.5", but that is not specific enough.
10.54" = no fit
10.47" = tight fit

It's the standard Nvidia size. 26,9cm. meaning its the same as the gtx 580,570,560. and same with the 4xx series. if i remeber correct :)

I ran the gtx 580 for a year with no issues its the sama card when it coas to physical parameters. just need 1000USD :)

It's the standard Nvidia size. 26,9cm. meaning its the same as the gtx 580,570,560. and same with the 4xx series. if i remeber correct :)

I ran the gtx 580 for a year with no issues its the sama card when it coas to physical parameters. just need 1000USD :)

My 560 is definitely shorter than 26.9cm, and the Titan is definitely longer than 26.9cm.

I now read it is actually 267mm. It would probably touch the front panel.

[edit] Welp, couldn't stop myself. Ordered the Titan. I will report back on how it fits in the SG05B. If I have to cut open the front panel, so be it.

Last edited:
Welp, couldn't stop myself. Ordered the Titan. I will report back on how it fits in the SG05B. If I have to cut open the front panel, so be it.

As reported many times in this thread, SG05 has 262mm internal length. Get cutting :)

As reported many times in this thread, SG05 has 262mm internal length. Get cutting :)

It's a little longer than 262mm. While you normally don't want a card with length equal to your internal length, it is actually exactly 265mm.

[edit] Welp, couldn't stop myself. Ordered the Titan. I will report back on how it fits in the SG05B. If I have to cut open the front panel, so be it.

This will be interesting. Love to see pics. :)

Aren't you guys worried about the massive power draw the Titan will have ?
It consumes 429 watts just playing Battlefield (including the rest of the system)

THe silverstone psu might be good, but not that good.
Even if it hits 85% efficiency on a 450watt psu it will only produce: 382 Watts.

I'd be a little worried.

I ended up building a new system myself, reused some old parts like the bluray slot in drive and i7 2600, got some new low profile vengeance ram, evga gtx 680, asrock z77e-itx board and antec 545lc cooler. ALso got a cougar 120mm fan and duct :) it fits perfectly.

The only thing i had to cut was the holder for the hdd. Otherwise it would be touching the radiator. Otherwise than that, its a pretty snug but nice fit and i can actually mount two 2,5" hdds ;) yaaaaay ;)

Pics below:

imag0755a.jpg

imag0778t.jpg

imag0781d.jpg

imag0792c.jpg

P.S. The cougar fan is a really cool orange :)

imag0760t.jpg

Temps are pretty good too:

GTX 680 doesn't go much above 70c when under full load
and the CPU idles at about 27 c and when under full load doesn't exceed 52c

Back