[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

It's here...

IMAG0125%255B1%255D.jpg

Plans:
Quiet case fan
Install Big Shuriken 2
Shorten PSU wiring & semi-sleeve it
Fab SSD mount

This thing is small! Glad I'm not trying to add any 3.5" drives or ODD drive - although I'd appreciate the challenge!

Posted over on OCN too, hope nobody minds the duplication...

Case: Silverstone SG05-450
Mobo: Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: EVGA GTX 660Ti SC
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
RAM: Coresair Vengeance LP 8GB
Case Fan: Enermax TB-Silence PWM
CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMAG0146.jpg

IMG_20121123_230744.jpg

Took me several hours to shorten the PSU wiring to an acceptable length (some of it done via cut & solder, others done by un-crimping the pins and soldering the shortened wires to the pins) - the GPU connector turned out well, the other's I'm not too impressed with, but it'll do for my first time sleeving.

I'm a little disappointed with the Fan Xpert function in the BIOS and that it'll only let the system fan get down to 60% duty cycle. Speedfan can control it acceptably, but it's still loud at boot, so I'll probably look for a quieter/slower fan.

I may also consider going to a MSI GTX 660Ti Twin Frozr design for less GPU noise, but I'm slightly concerned about a non-blower type cooler in this case.

Thoughts & critiques welcome!

Current setup:
Asus Fan Xpert running the CPU fan @ "silent" setting, Speedfan running system fan 600-1200 rpm based on 'system temp', the CPU idles around 33 (ambient temp is ~20), hits ~67 running P95, and during BF3 runs mid 50's with the GPU in the low 70's. I'm going more for low noise than low temps - as long as the temps aren't detrimental, I'll make it as quiet as possible.

Last edited:
I have a couple questions on water cooling units in the Sugo SG05BB I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm looking to put a unit in the front, blowing out the existing 120mm exhaust. It looks like there is only room for 1 fan and one thicker water cooling unit (H80/Antec 920), or for 2 fans and a thinner unit (H60 / Antec 620). I plan on removing the top drive mount completely, and instead using an mPCIe SSD (maybe two).

Would it be more effective to only have one fan, and a larger radiator, or to have 2 fans and a smaller radiator? Or is there a way to fit 2 fans on one of the thicker units like the H80? I've heard the slim fans don't work well on radiators. What is the slimmest fan that still works well with a rad?

Also, has someone tested in an SG05 to see if temps are lower when intaking from the front, or exhausting out the front? I would worry that an intake would heat the graphics card too much.

Thanks

A push-pull on H60 fits and works just fine, but might not fit with GPU length.

Intake is better, but don't take my word for it: test yourself when you get the parts :)

A push-pull on H60 fits and works just fine, but might not fit with GPU length.

Intake is better, but don't take my word for it: test yourself when you get the parts :)

I won't have a gaming video card in this build - it's purely for media serving and transcoding.

I have seen pics with a push pull on an H60, but I'm wondering how that compares to a single fan config on an H80 or Antec 920?

If the CPU is making constant heat, I'd think a dual fan setup in an exhaust config would help keep things cool.

If the CPU load is fluctuating, the larger thermal reserve of a thicker radiator & larger volume of fluid would be beneficial, and it could be run in an intake config.

Without a big GPU, there's plenty of venting in the case, so I think either/any option will run just fine for you.

FWIW, I plan on getting an H55, and running it as in intake with one fan in my rig pictured above (primarily web browsing & gaming, occasional encoding).

If the CPU is making constant heat, I'd think a dual fan setup in an exhaust config would help keep things cool.

If the CPU load is fluctuating, the larger thermal reserve of a thicker radiator & larger volume of fluid would be beneficial, and it could be run in an intake config.

Without a big GPU, there's plenty of venting in the case, so I think either/any option will run just fine for you.

FWIW, I plan on getting an H55, and running it as in intake with one fan in my rig pictured above (primarily web browsing & gaming, occasional encoding).

Thanks, that does make sense. The CPU will be under constant load with few to no fluctuations, so an H50/55/60 with 2 fans would probably work best.

Speaking of the Corsair units, what is the difference between those three? I've heard the Antec 620 is superior.

Minor differences, mostly changes to CPU block size & material. The H50 was the first, had a big pump & copper CPU block, the H60 was an evolution of it and had a smaller pump. The 620 was Antec's version of the H60, and also sported a small pump, but had newer, more flexible tubing. Corsair just released the H55 and updated the H60 - check out the sticky in the overclocking & cooling forum. The H55 is their new 'quiet' cooler with the new tubing, and the H60 got some minor improvements. They all seem to cool within a few degrees of each other... Pick the one with the aesthetics/marketing that best suits you & your needs ;)

Edit - removed mistaken info about some having Al blocks... Looks like the H40 is the only one with an Al block.

Last edited:
Hey fellas, first time poster here

Putting together an SG06 build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/suZe

Thoughts? I read that the Big Shruiken would interfere with a video card, and the AXP-140 barely fits.

Anyway, this build is basically a HTPC on steroids, and I'm paring it with a 4-bay NAS. CPU is overkill, but it's only $100 more over the i5-3450S.

The Big Shuriken 2 does not interfere with the PCIx16 slot on the P8Z77I-D, but will on many (all?) other ITX boards. Both the '2' and OG Big Shuriken's have centered CPU blocks, so I don't think the original will have any problem if my '2' does not.

My 2 did have to be bent slightly to clear the daughterboard though. As it came, the upper part of the heat sink was contacting some of the capacitors, and would have been exerting some stress on them, so I had to tweak the heatpipes a bit to give it some more clearance. Others have not had to do this though, so YMMV... I think it just depends on the tolerances of the board and the HS.

Does the AXP-140 work with the 1155 socket?

Thermalright's website says 1156, and NCIX says it will work with 1155.

Thanks for the help.

Last question, do you know where I can find the AXP-140 for sale? NCIX US has them on backorder, but it comes with the fan, which won't fit in the SG06 with a 3.5" HDD in place anyway

This question might've already been answered but this is a long-ass thread, so sue me: :-P

I'm moving my current ITX setup from an old temp case (NSK4480); can I install my 3.5" HDD anywhere besides the included bracket without heavy modding?

Since my old optical won't fit I'm going without one.

I just wedged it between the case floor and the right-hand top bracket with a piece of foam (sanding block) on the bottom and some double sided tape on the top.

Aside from liquid cooled, what is the best GPU fan design for this case? Wouldn't blower-type be good since more of the heat exits the rear of the case right away?

Aside from liquid cooled, what is the best GPU fan design for this case? Wouldn't blower-type be good since more of the heat exits the rear of the case right away?

The hard and fast rule is to go with blower-type coolers for smaller cases... You could find some cases for comparison between high temperature blower cards and low temperature axial fan coolers, but you're still going to be dumping hot air into your case.

The hard and fast rule is to go with blower-type coolers for smaller cases... You could find some cases for comparison between high temperature blower cards and low temperature axial fan coolers, but you're still going to be dumping hot air into your case.

Can someone recommend a short blower-style card in the 660 range?

EVGA makes closed-shroud blower-style GTX 660-680 cards which fit the Sugo range perfectly. But, how short do you need it to be? Or I mean, does it just need to fit in the case, or do you have other components in the way?

EVGA makes closed-shroud blower-style GTX 660-680 cards which fit the Sugo range perfectly. But, how short do you need it to be? Or I mean, does it just need to fit in the case, or do you have other components in the way?

nice for this case

Will the PowerColor HD7970 3GB GDDR5 (V3)(UEFI Ready) fit the sg05 case?

listed on the website: 265mmx111.2mmx38mm

The PowerColor PCS+ HD7950 3GB GDDR5 = 275x128x38mm according to the powercolor site.

However, I think it would be strange that the 7970 is shorter as the 7950 so maybe the website doesn't list the correct dimensions?

SG05 is internally 262mm.

Thank you WiSK.

However, I know that the PowerColor PCS+ HD7950 should fit without modifying the case so I assume the length of the card on the powercolor site isn't correct. The 7970 is listed as being 1 cm shorter. (but still 3mm longer as 262mm)

If you are able to cut metal (e.g. dremel or even drill+file) then you can cut out a shape to allow the card to extend into the plastic front panel.

But I would email PowerColor first to confirm that the 265mm measurement of the card is from the outside of the expansion bracket to the outer edge of the shroud. Also ask if the shroud overhangs the PCB at all.

Has the 450W modular SFX psu been released yet? Has anyone bought it or have US sources we can pick it up from?

Been available since the Summer. I have one in my FT03-mini and another one I'm sleeving for the SG05. Sure you can buy it from any reputable PC component vendor.

Hello,
I had a question for you or more like asking if it is possible to measure consumption at no load an assembly that is the most similar to what I would like to buy.

SG05 450W Gold Modular
Asus P8Z77-I
i7-3770K
2x 8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 660 Ti
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Seagate 2.5 "750 GB

thanks in advance for at least an approximate value

Back