[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

I just upgraded from a stock FM1 cooler to a big shuriken 2 in my SG05 and I replaced the front 120 with a Noctura; wow what a noise and cooling difference. It's way quieter now while cutting off about 15 degrees C off of the CPU temps. I now sit around 30 idle opposed to about 50 before with the stock cooler. My 6870 is the loudest thing in the case now. I definitely recommend the big shuriken for this case.

I just posted this to the SFF Gallery here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038987765

Case: SilverStone SG05
Fan: Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-13 1150 RPM 120mm, used as front exhaust
PSU: Seasonic X-460 Fanless
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
CPU cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620
RAM: Samsung 8GB 30nm 1.35V DDR3 1600
GPU: PowerColor Go! Green AX7750
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB

sg05_1.jpg

I replaced the original restrictive front hex grill with a much more open hex grill (ModRight ModMesh).

sg05_2.jpg

I modified this case to accommodate a full size ATX modular power supply.

sg05_3.jpg

A sheet of aluminum was cut to hold the SSD drive at the side of the case.

I measured AC power consumption with a Kill A Watt.

Power Consumption:

IDLE: 39W
Prime95: 98W
Prime95 + Furmark: 138W

Prime95 was set to Torture Test In-place large FFTs.

impressive work, clean, it deserves to be quoted with full pics ;)

Got the itch again so I need to go even smaller this time...spent the past hour thinking about either this or the Lian-Li PC-Q08R.....

Help?

Edit: Decided on the FT03 mini.

Last edited:
Has anny one "uppgrades" to the gold psu? hows the fan?

Yes I have one and switched it on to test briefly last night. But I don't have any way to measure the sound exactly in dB. Let me put it this way: at idle and with CPU max load it was the same. I could hear it softly running if I put my ear close to the case. I know enough from my test to know it won't bother me. I did not test with GPU load, but it'll be quieter than my 560ti fans anyway.

I was thinking that someone will ask this, and I considered making a recording on my phone, but at the time my son had the TV on and I couldn't be bothered to move everything to a quiet room.

dual WC in a SUGO SG05 = work in progress :)
Core i5 3750k and GTX670 (reference model)

Everything fit in, just need more time to lap the 620 and find a way to put a fan in front of the VRM heatsink

vo77yb.jpg

yep i may try that, i was push pulling before mounting the 620

any other slim fan available ?
those are kinda expensive and not pwm

Hey, didn't realize you were on here and just finished sending you a pm on oc.net, anyways I would recommend this fan only: Corsair SP120 HP it's not slim but I don't think you'd need more than one for your application.

everything is done !

Full size corsair fan pwm connected on the MB (the one send with the h60) is pushing through both heatsinks and scythe SY1212SL12L is pulling @1200RPM (12v)

added an evercool 70mmx15mm pwm above the VRM heatsink (fixed against the case and the PSU)
should be connected on the fan header of the GPU through an artic VGA pwm connector but it's not controled and stay still @ 3000 rpm witch i can't bear... so it's now on 5V

idle
GPU is 31°c
CPU didn't change, around 40°c
silence is almost there, the only thing i hear is my h60 pump ...witch i believe should go RMA since i got it...

at full load (kombustor 720p MSAA8x) temps goes slowly up to 50°c for both processors with the corsair fan speeding up to max speed (1800RPM)

Longer tests and pics will come latter, it's midnight righ now :eek:

3r905.jpg

28mguf7.jpg

2v1400o.jpg

cable managment cannot be better unless I cut the ones I don't use or mod them at the ideal lenth
they are all placed as high as possible in front of the PSU (where there is no air flow) and not in front of the fan

IDLE just after booting, it now 31°c
35hk30l.jpg

LOAD (15 min of kombustor 720p 8x msaa) temps stay low :D
2q0t7pf.jpg

Last edited:
great looking build, and those temps!!!

Great idea on the fan blowing on the VRM's, what size fan is that? 60mm?

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now, but Scythe makes a PWM version of their 120mm slim fan, they just don't sell it retail. I called them and ordered 3x of the fans directly (they are the same fans from the big shuriken 2 heatsink). It is the SY12125L12H-P.

The last time I posted in this topic is when I unveiled my "Midget Rig" build over 3 years ago. Not too long ago Midget Rig had a motherboard failure and was dead for months while the friend I sold it to gathered the funds to have it rebuilt.

A week ago the new parts were ordered and they arrived to me just a few days ago. It's a pretty low cost upgrade to an Asrock Z77/2500k/560ti setup, but I'm definitely glad to see the old Midget up and running again. :D

Here is the original Midget Rig build log for those interested.

The last time I posted in this topic is when I unveiled my "Midget Rig" build over 3 years ago. Not too long ago Midget Rig had a motherboard failure and was dead for months while the friend I sold it to gathered the funds to have it rebuilt.

A week ago the new parts were ordered and they arrived to me just a few days ago. It's a pretty low cost upgrade to an Asrock Z77/2500k/560ti setup, but I'm definitely glad to see the old Midget up and running again. :D

Here is the original Midget Rig build log for those interested.

Are those RAM's corsair vengeance low profile?
And what heatsink is it?

I'm putting together a SG05 soon to double up as a HTPC and portable LAN gaming machine. The tricky part is choosing the graphics card for it. In an ideal world I'd use the 5870 from my main desktop PC (as an excuse to upgrade to a 7970 ;)). However there's a very strong possibility it just won't fit. If all else fails I was thinking of getting a 7850 instead which would fit very easily, but it would seem a waste since it's a dead end card in a sense. In two or three years I may want to replace it - the same would be true of the 5870 but at least I won't have spent more money on something in the meantime.

My 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X model, the rev 2.0 version which was a cheaped out version of the original. It used a custom PCB and couldn't adjust voltages. Anyway it does the job all the same, but it isn't the same size as a traditional 5870 or the original (rev 1) Vapor-X.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...por-X-Rev-2-with-custom-PCB-reviewed/Reviews/

This Russian review mentions that the rev 2 is 25.7cm long while the rev 1 is 26.7cm, and I've seen that confirmed elsewhere. On the face of it, that makes it sound promising for barely fitting into the SG05, but unfortunately the rev 2 card has the PCIe power connectors on the end of the card rather than above. So I may not have a snowball's chance unless I mod something. I would not be totally averse to having to bend one or two parts of the case (in a not-too-permanent way) to get the card in but that would not be enough. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a low-profile PCIe power connector, and if not, if I can just take the power connector apart (perhaps using an extension lead so I'm breaking that rather than the original PSU cable) to shove individual wires into individual sockets.

It wouldn't astonish me if someone in the world of the SG05 has had to do something similar before now so I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

the rev 2 is 25.7cm long ... unfortunately the rev 2 card has the PCIe power connectors on the end of the card rather than above

Internal depth dimension of SG05 is 262mm so that gives you 5mm to fit the plugs on. Even cutting holes into the frame, so including the front panel of the SG05 will give you about 8mm extra depth (270mm total). However, the length of the outer section of a PCIe plug is like 10mm. So that leaves you 3mm for the wires to come out. So I would advise against attempting this.

I'm putting together a SG05 soon to double up as a HTPC and portable LAN gaming machine. The tricky part is choosing the graphics card for it. In an ideal world I'd use the 5870 from my main desktop PC (as an excuse to upgrade to a 7970 ;)). However there's a very strong possibility it just won't fit. If all else fails I was thinking of getting a 7850 instead which would fit very easily, but it would seem a waste since it's a dead end card in a sense. In two or three years I may want to replace it - the same would be true of the 5870 but at least I won't have spent more money on something in the meantime.

My 5870 is a Sapphire Vapor-X model, the rev 2.0 version which was a cheaped out version of the original. It used a custom PCB and couldn't adjust voltages. Anyway it does the job all the same, but it isn't the same size as a traditional 5870 or the original (rev 1) Vapor-X.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...por-X-Rev-2-with-custom-PCB-reviewed/Reviews/

This Russian review mentions that the rev 2 is 25.7cm long while the rev 1 is 26.7cm, and I've seen that confirmed elsewhere. On the face of it, that makes it sound promising for barely fitting into the SG05, but unfortunately the rev 2 card has the PCIe power connectors on the end of the card rather than above. So I may not have a snowball's chance unless I mod something. I would not be totally averse to having to bend one or two parts of the case (in a not-too-permanent way) to get the card in but that would not be enough. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a low-profile PCIe power connector, and if not, if I can just take the power connector apart (perhaps using an extension lead so I'm breaking that rather than the original PSU cable) to shove individual wires into individual sockets.

It wouldn't astonish me if someone in the world of the SG05 has had to do something similar before now so I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

These would allow you to use your 5870 without modding your case or card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-6-Pin...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=360481461007&ps=54

cache_500_1_1_img_2601141_7d83d7dbb7e7e4e35c94702ddaed05c2jpg.gif

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These would allow you to use your 5870 without modding your case or card.

The connector in your pic adds 10mm to the length of the card when inserted. 257+10 is 267mm. Case is only 262mm. So he'd still have to cut out holes for the connectors to poke through. Although it might then just about fit inside the front panel.

Yeah, it's a shame that these connectors all have such large rear frames. I hoped someone would sell ones with the minimum possible profile as I'd have thought there must be other situations where people could use them, not just SG05 users. Many of the less well designed full ATX or micro ATX cases have solid unremovable hard drive cages in places that limit maximum graphics card lengths. Then again, I suppose in most of those situations the answer is to get a card with the PCIe power connectors on the top.

I will buy the case and other components, and experiment with fitting the graphics card in. If it looks like a hopelessly lost cause I will then buy a short graphics card. If however there looks to be a chance then I will buy a few PCIe power extension cables and clumsily gut them until I come up with something I can use.

I'm thinking of reversing the fan on my Scythe Shuriken Rev.B to blow into the PSU fan. Has anyone tried this with positive results wrt CPU temps? I would just try it but its so packed in there I don't want to dive in unless there will be a positive benefit.

I'll be putting together a SG05 soon and would like to ask: is there space to put two 2.5" drives under the front fan and two more in the dvd drive space?

I'll be putting together a SG05 soon and would like to ask: is there space to put two 2.5" drives under the front fan and two more in the dvd drive space?

To expand on this :)

To fit drives in the dvd bay, you'll need to bend the 4 tabs down then you can fit two drives next to each other. This works fine.

However, the space under the front fan is trickier. Firstly there is a standoff in the middle of the case floor which you'll have to dremel or drill out. Secondly you have to stack the drives on top of each other, they can't go next to each other. Prefer SSDs here because there won't be any airflow between them. Thirdly you have to mount them first, then install the front fan.

To expand on this :)

To fit drives in the dvd bay, you'll need to bend the 4 tabs down then you can fit two drives next to each other. This works fine.

However, the space under the front fan is trickier. Firstly there is a standoff in the middle of the case floor which you'll have to dremel or drill out. Secondly you have to stack the drives on top of each other, they can't go next to each other. Prefer SSDs here because there won't be any airflow between them. Thirdly you have to mount them first, then install the front fan.

Is the standoff for the mobo?
Also, do you think there's enough space to put a 3.5" drive in the dvd bay? Or even two side by side, but that's a stretch. :p

Is the standoff for the mobo?

No it was for a card reader. There's also an opening under the fan where the card reader would fit. But Silverstone ended up never offering the card reader to buy for regular consumers.

Also, do you think there's enough space to put a 3.5" drive in the dvd bay? Or even two side by side, but that's a stretch. :p

I'm not sure if all 3.5" drives fit in the dvd bay because it would depend on the height. Certainly not two next to each other, because the width of a 3.5" is 102mm and width between the two top braces is less than that. But the case itself is 222mm wide and so you could fit double drives under the braces.

The SG05 is not ideal for large amounts of storage, but there is a picture somewhere of a guy who put his front fan on the outside, and then eight (yes 8) 3.5" drives upright in the front.

We've done some 3.5" discussion in the last few pages of the FT03-mini thread, if you want to check there as well.

No it was for a card reader. There's also an opening under the fan where the card reader would fit. But Silverstone ended up never offering the card reader to buy for regular consumers.

I'm not sure if all 3.5" drives fit in the dvd bay because it would depend on the height. Certainly not two next to each other, because the width of a 3.5" is 102mm and width between the two top braces is less than that. But the case itself is 222mm wide and so you could fit double drives under the braces.

The SG05 is not ideal for large amounts of storage, but there is a picture somewhere of a guy who put his front fan on the outside, and then eight (yes 8) 3.5" drives upright in the front.

We've done some 3.5" discussion in the last few pages of the FT03-mini thread, if you want to check there as well.

I don't know about 8, but I put 6 upright in an SG06 (2 by 3); that allowed for about 5mm between each drive (front to back). The two top braces are actually the perfect height to stabilize the drives (with a little double-sided tape for extra measure :p). The pics are over in the 10+TB storage thread (just search for my handle). Cooling was reasonably o.k. by convection alone (drives only got to the mid 40's C).

I don't know about 8, but I put 6 upright in an SG06 (2 by 3); that allowed for about 5mm between each drive (front to back). The two top braces are actually the perfect height to stabilize the drives (with a little double-sided tape for extra measure :p). The pics are over in the 10+TB storage thread (just search for my handle). Cooling was reasonably o.k. by convection alone (drives only got to the mid 40's C).

Oh, the madness of SFF. :D

Back