two 64GB SSDs (from old case)
EVGA GTX 670
Corsair H80 with 2 fans
Pics:
IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

You should take some pics with better lighting than those. It's really hard to see anything. Build looks sweet from what I can tell tho :D

Hi,

cool system! Are you happy with the noctua? What do you think, would it fit on another board than the asus without colliding with a graphic card?

thx, cu

Cheers.

Yes happy with the NH-L12 with the P8Z77-I and there should be no problems with a GFX card later - but I'm pretty sure you wont be able to fit one with the Asrock. However a smaller low-profile Noctua has been announced I think or a tower cooler would fit in a different case of course. If I had gone for the Asrock I probably would have chosen the Samuel 17, but after buying a fan the cost would have been the same - and with the NH-L12 I had the 12cm "left over".

Note that even with LP DRAM the 92mm fan didn't clear so it's pushed back a fraction - but the heatsink itself was well clear. Possibly the Samsung DRAM is even lower profile though?

I'm running the i5-3570K at 4GHz turbo and the IGP at 1.25GHz for a PC Mark 7 of over 6000. With Asus Fan Expert 2 I idle the fans at 800rpm (CPU) and 700rpm (case) - I suspect the PSU fan is louder. It's not meant as a benching machine but for daily use - it sits under the TV with other AV equipment.

Last edited:
Any particular reason you think the NH-L12 won't fit the Asrock? Even the Thermalright AXP-140 fits.

How much room is there between the top of the heatsink and the PSU? Or rather, will a 120x20 or 120x12 fan fit there?

Is the 92mm blowing towards the mobo or PSU?

Any particular reason you think the NH-L12 won't fit the Asrock? Even the Thermalright AXP-140 fits.

How much room is there between the top of the heatsink and the PSU? Or rather, will a 120x20 or 120x12 fan fit there?

Is the 92mm blowing towards the mobo or PSU?
I believe I've read elsewhere on this or other forum that the Noctua will interfere with the PCi-e slot on any conventional layout ITX (i.e. other than the Asus) and this is backed up by the Noctua page http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=46&lng=en#LGA1155_ASRock

In the Sugo 5 or 6 I suspect that a 12mm deep fan may fit above but I didn't go down that route, even with the PSU inverted. The 92mm blows down, again i didn't try to invert it either. My thinking was to use the Focus Flow 120mm in the case front position.

At idle the Asus reads M/B at ambient +6 degrees and CPU as M/B +7. Being an Ivy the CPU core temp shoots up when under heavy benchmark load but I'm not sure cooling helps - I still believe the problem with 22nm is getting the heat away from the core to the heatsink not off the heatsink. These core temp "numbers" are much higher than we might have experienced before but I believe acceptable in the context of Ivy Bridge, but I'll be keeiping the max clock at 4GHz and at default volts for now.

Thanks, that sure clears things up a little. :rolleyes:
Ivy is really keeping me from buying an oc-able itx system.

And thanks for the link in the name of lazy people (like me) who didnt bother checking the site.

cu

The Ivy debate will run and run - we would all love a PC that clocks at 5Ghz at 60degs. But in all other regards its been excellent. The power consumption is modest and it has the grunt to eat any task I've thrown at it. Even the HD4000 has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe the upcoming AMDs will be an even more prefect choice for an SFF in-the-front-room PC, but for now Ivy is the best option IMO. A 4.4GHz clock is only another 10% after all.

Yeah your absolutely right, i'm just considering to go for an H77.
But i'm still a few weeks from pressing that buy button and don't know which case yet, so its kind of a theoretical question right now.

cu

Anyone tried a 670? Will it fit? Will the 300w PSU work, considering its power draw is less than a 560ti?

Last edited:
This is my second entry in this thread. First I had a 580 and lynnfield i7. Now an 8800 (soon to be GX 670) and 3570K. Absolutely love how much power you can pack in this case.
Just did some wire management on my rig and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Well, up until I added the storage drives, I need to come up with a way to custom mount them but I haven't had a chance to do so. I have a couple scrap pieces of aluminum that is 1/8" thick so it should be more then enough to hold up 2 drives . Found a used GTX 670 DCUII here and it will be in my rig in a couple weeks, woot!
2012-06-14_18-03-01_891.jpg

2012-06-14_18-02-50_14.jpg

2012-06-14_18-02-26_736.jpg

Hey, sorry for the simple question...

Silverstone's website for the 300W SG05 indicates it fits a full 10" graphics card, but the 450W SG05 says it just takes a 9" card... Is this a massive typo?

What's the actual card size limitation on this case with a 450W PSU? (up and coming 450W Modular Gold SFX specifically)

Thanks!

Hey, sorry for the simple question...

Silverstone's website for the 300W SG05 indicates it fits a full 10" graphics card, but the 450W SG05 says it just takes a 9" card... Is this a massive typo?

What's the actual card size limitation on this case with a 450W PSU? (up and coming 450W Modular Gold SFX specifically)

Thanks!

They fixed it under specifications- http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=276&area=en

It used to be 9", because they were taking front connectors into account. As for your second question, I'm not sure what card size has to do with the PSU. I have a 680 Signature+, which is 2-3mm longer than the reference 680 (254mm).

scaled.php

Cool, thanks for the reply MissJ...

Sorry if the PSU part was confusing, it was the only physical difference I could find between the 2 listed GPU lengths and assumed it was related.

Trying to figure out how much stuff I can cram into this case for my upcoming build. Based on what you've said I have about 14mm of clearance for radiator hoses and PCIE power cables...

Wanted to mount the radiator with the ports in front of the GPU. I might go with an FT03 mini but I really dig this case.

I cry a little everytime I see your rig. Haha.
:p

Cool, thanks for the reply MissJ...

Sorry if the PSU part was confusing, it was the only physical difference I could find between the 2 listed GPU lengths and assumed it was related.

Trying to figure out how much stuff I can cram into this case for my upcoming build. Based on what you've said I have about 14mm of clearance for radiator hoses and PCIE power cables...

Wanted to mount the radiator with the ports in front of the GPU. I might go with an FT03 mini but I really dig this case.

NP! Do you really have a need for an internal dvd player? If not you can have the hoses up top. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you're bent on having the hoses on the side, then I'd probably go with the FT03 mini. Sorry if I missed it, but what card will you be using an how many hdd/sdds (Please list 2.5 and 3.5) do you need room for?

Last edited:
:p

NP! Do you really have a need for an internal dvd player? If not you can have the hoses up top. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you're bent on having the hoses on the side, then I'd probably go with the FT03 mini. Sorry if I missed it, but what card will you be using an how many hdd/sdds (Please list 2.5 and 3.5) do you need room for?

Full build://

ASRock Z77E-ITX (in the mail, supports VT -d)
Xeon E3 1245 v2
Cooler Master Eisberg 120 (30mm rad, not out yet)
16GB Memory, server or desktop (trying to figure out if I can ghetto-fit ECC)
AFOX 7850 single slot gpu (8.26771654 inches)
Asus Essence STX (or HT Omega eClaro)
Amfeltec mPCIE to PCIE adapter (for sound card)
PCIE x1 Flexible Extender
SilverStone ST45SF-G 450W Gold PSU
3.5" HDD
2.5" SSD
Bluray slim slot ODD (i realize they're like floppy drives but it still feels required)

I think it'll fit inside the SG05 but I haven't actually seen one irl before so it might just be wishful thinking. The radiator is the hard part...

Other question:// Is it still possible to get white SG05s?

Also, I suspect I could fit the rad in front of the GPU if I got an Antec 620 instead... 27mm rad would give me 16.99mm of clearance between rad/gpu

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Quick reply (will post more later) - I understand how it is to want everything to be perfect, but unless you plan on modding the dvd tray (cutting off the 2.5 bracket) and/or relocating the 3.5 and 2.5, you cannot get a radiator in the front of the SG05, at least with fans.

Quick reply (will post more later) - I understand how it is to want everything to be perfect, but unless you plan on modding the dvd tray (cutting off the 2.5 bracket) and/or relocating the 3.5 and 2.5, you cannot get a radiator in the front of the SG05, at least with fans.

Yeah, I looked at a bunch of build logs. I might be able to get away with an AXP-140 if I don't get a sealed liquid cooler.

Do you think that 16.99mm isn't enough for the ports and tubing off the Antec 620? The rest of the gear fits without much trouble I think. Going to be using the modular 450 PSU, and only a single-slot GPU. The mini-pcie adapter will be going around the back of the motherboard against the bottom of the case and up the other side of the graphics card.

I'm really interested in how tiny this case is. The FT03 Mini would be an easy build comparatively.

Hi guys, firstly my rig is;

SG06 450W
Gigabyte H61N
Xeon E3 1245
Cooler Master Vortex 211Q
Evga Gtx 680
Gskill Ripjawsx 1333
Intel ssd 320 40gb
WD 2TB Green

Now, i have had some heat problems with this setup. At idle mobo is at 50 while cpu stays at 40 degrees (cores are at 50 also). These are ok to somewhat. But in games cpu goes up to 90 degrees and cores to 100 almost. This of course causes throttling and ruins the smoothness in a game. Ruin might be an exaggerated word yet i can sense the throttling which is really annoying. These high temperatures are mainly because of the gpu most likely since it goes up to 85 no matter what the mobos or cpus temperature, so it heats the whole system! I think an exhaust fan might significantly reduce my problem and it might be possible to stick a 70 or 80mm at back above the gpu.
Has anybody experienced those temperatures?

That's strange. Does your 680 have a stock cooler/external exhaust? My 680 temps never exceed 67C, my CPU idles 26-30C, and hits low 50s while gaming (undervolted @ 4.2Ghz). Even when I had a 680 and i5 2500 (non k)/Samuel 17 on my last motherboard (Asus P8H67-I Deluxe), my temps were nothing like yours.

Edit: Ahhh are you using the dvd tray and 3.5 hdd bay? If so, the 3.5 bay is blocking airflow and that could be part of your cpu temp problems. It still seems weird your GPU is hitting 85C, considering it's pulling in fresh air from the side, but again I'm assuming your 680 has a vanilla cooler. I don't think adding an exhaust fan is really going to help and I'd suggest either relocating the 3.5 or not having it inside this case if you plan on gaming. You can always use a 2.5 hdd and external for static data.

U probably need to refit the cooler. temps should be better then that. i figure u can udervolt cpu allso since u have a gigabyte mobo.
This as well, but I still don't understand how a 680 can ever hit 85C in an SG05/SG06. I suppose it could be related to the CPU temps/cooler not being fitted correctly.

Last edited:
Now, i have had some heat problems with this setup. At idle mobo is at 50 while cpu stays at 40 degrees (cores are at 50 also). These are ok to somewhat. But in games cpu goes up to 90 degrees and cores to 100 almost. This of course causes throttling and ruins the smoothness in a game

U probably need to refit the cooler. temps should be better then that. i figure u can udervolt cpu allso since u have a gigabyte mobo.

Yes, this would be the first thing I would do. Clean up the old grease and reapply fresh and seat hsf again. Those temps are bad. You shouldnt have to undervolt the cpu to get better temps. Sounds like the hsf is not doing its job properly.

i am using 680 with a stock cooler. also i forgot to mention, my psu is taking air from upside. since my power consumption is huge i didnt want to take a risk. i fit the cooler carefully i doubt refiting may be the solution. yet i touched the pipe and it was burning which indicates hs is working..
i have used an i3 with this very same setup and temps of the gpu was the same. even though i cant remember exactly, i think cpu was around 40 when idle and around 70-80 when gaming. so i have suspicions with my 1245 which i got from second hand market.. :(

My PSU is inverted as well and always has been. I still don't understand how your 680 gets that hot :confused:

My PSU is inverted as well and always has been. I still don't understand how your 680 gets that hot :confused:

why? as for the all reviews i saw it goes up to 80 degrees as well. considering the air circulation in sg06 (there isnt any actually) 85 seems perfectly fine.

i searched through some cpu coolers and found an interesting bench. slimx3 is nearly the same with my vortex 211q and it is 99 degrees at load :eek: even hotter than stock cooler!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-SlimX3-CPU-Cooler-Review/1221/6

why? as for the all reviews i saw it goes up to 80 degrees as well. considering the air circulation in sg06 (there isnt any actually) 85 seems perfectly fine.

i searched through some cpu coolers and found an interesting bench. slimx3 is nearly the same with my vortex 211q and it is 99 degrees at load :eek: even hotter than stock cooler!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-SlimX3-CPU-Cooler-Review/1221/6

Because I can't break 67 while gaming or 70 while running benchmark/stress testing using an H60 or Samuel 17 and I'm overclocked. I'm using very low rpm fans as well and have gotten the same results using a 2600K. As for the cooler review wow! I bet all of your temps will drop if you get a different one :)

Because I can't break 67 while gaming or 70 while running benchmark/stress testing using an H60 or Samuel 17 and I'm overclocked. I'm using very low rpm fans as well and have gotten the same results using a 2600K. As for the cooler review wow! I bet all of your temps will drop if you get a different one :)

is it the gpu that doesnt break 70? clearly it is not possible with a stock cooler. at least not at the auto mod. it easily passes that border in all reviews. yet our case is worst with an itx case.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/2...3-evga-gtx-680-sc-signature-reviewed?start=10
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/10

about the cpu cooler, i couldnt find a big shuriken or samuel in turkey unfortunately. i dont want a water cooling also. i am stucked with my useless cooler!

Is it possible to fit Zalman CNPS8000 on a m-itx board with a GPU as well? Did anybody try?

is it the gpu that doesnt break 70? clearly it is not possible with a stock cooler. at least not at the auto mod. it easily passes that border in all reviews. yet our case is worst with an itx case.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/2...3-evga-gtx-680-sc-signature-reviewed?start=10
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/10

about the cpu cooler, i couldnt find a big shuriken or samuel in turkey unfortunately. i dont want a water cooling also. i am stucked with my useless cooler!

Worse how? SG05 practically has the GPU on it's own thermal zone... I have great temps (75c under just cause 2 benchmark) And mine is warmer GTX570HD which has a non blower cooler (bad for this case)

Worse how? SG05 practically has the GPU on it's own thermal zone... I have great temps (75c under just cause 2 benchmark) And mine is warmer GTX570HD which has a non blower cooler (bad for this case)

worst because there isnt any flow in there. if you remove the top shell your load temps will drop. but if you do this in a full or mid tower which has a good air flow in, temps will be most likely higher.

also non-blower coolers are always better in terms of temperature results.

worst because there isnt any flow in there. if you remove the top shell your load temps will drop.

The fan supplied with the SG05 can move 3 times the volume of the case, every second. It's plenty of flow if you select your other components appropriately. Sticking a top of the line GPU and a server CPU in there is perhaps pushing the limits of this design.

Remember that air has a certain thermal conductivity. Air is not 100% efficient at cooling. So even if you double or triple the amount of air coming through a system, there is only so much it can cool. What's important is to avoid recycling hot air. Move the hot air out from the place where it's hot, don't blow it all around first. If your temps drop when you remove the shell, then I guess that's exactly what's happening: your GPU air and CPU air are staying in the case too long.

If you have a hot CPU, then using a fan which blows down onto the motherboard is not ideal. That's why the SG05 is designed for the PSU to exhaust from directly over the CPU. It's a clever idea from Silverstone, but most people seem to not trust the idea. They flip the PSU because they are worried that it will overheat. Try it with a temperature sensor, and you'll be surprised that the air isn't actually that hot. Even when the CPU core itself is at 90C, the air blown off it will be less than 45C. Also with the advantage that you are not sucking dust into the PSU, which is potentially more long-term damaging than hot air.

Looking at your system, I think you'd benefit from a closed-loop watercooling system on the CPU but I can understand that this would conflict with your HDDs. Adding a small exhaust above the GPU might help, you could try one of those silent Scythe minis. Try once the PSU exhausting the CPU/MB air, even if just for a short test. Try to make measurements of the results if you can get your hands on a temp sensor for inside the PSU.

The fan supplied with the SG05 can move 3 times the volume of the case, every second. It's plenty of flow if you select your other components appropriately. Sticking a top of the line GPU and a server CPU in there is perhaps pushing the limits of this design.

Remember that air has a certain thermal conductivity. Air is not 100% efficient at cooling. So even if you double or triple the amount of air coming through a system, there is only so much it can cool. What's important is to avoid recycling hot air. Move the hot air out from the place where it's hot, don't blow it all around first. If your temps drop when you remove the shell, then I guess that's exactly what's happening: your GPU air and CPU air are staying in the case too long.

If you have a hot CPU, then using a fan which blows down onto the motherboard is not ideal. That's why the SG05 is designed for the PSU to exhaust from directly over the CPU. It's a clever idea from Silverstone, but most people seem to not trust the idea. They flip the PSU because they are worried that it will overheat. Try it with a temperature sensor, and you'll be surprised that the air isn't actually that hot. Even when the CPU core itself is at 90C, the air blown off it will be less than 45C. Also with the advantage that you are not sucking dust into the PSU, which is potentially more long-term damaging than hot air.

Looking at your system, I think you'd benefit from a closed-loop watercooling system on the CPU but I can understand that this would conflict with your HDDs. Adding a small exhaust above the GPU might help, you could try one of those silent Scythe minis. Try once the PSU exhausting the CPU/MB air, even if just for a short test. Try to make measurements of the results if you can get your hands on a temp sensor for inside the PSU.

I have done some tests in order to see the best cooling option. As you have said the best results are with psu helping. Yet i am not comfortable with this solution. I am already pushing the psu limits enormously, it might burn soon if it also sucks the hot air!

Setup;
SG06 450W
Gigabyte H61N
Xeon E3 1245 @3.3 (turbo off!)
Coolermaster Vortex 211q @1800rpm (max)
Evga 680 (stock cooler, not vanilla!)
RipjawsX 8gb 1333 @cl9
Intel 320 40gb ssd
WD 2tb green

Temps are;
@idle (no mater which option): cpu 35, cores 45, gpu 45
@BF3 (turbo off & case opened & psu inverted): cpu 79, cores 89, gpu 84
@BF3 (turbo off & case opened & psu helping): cpu 65, cores 75, gpu 83
@BF3 (turbo off & case closed & psu inverted): cpu 87, cores 97, gpu 88 (like hell!)
@BF3 (turbo off & case closed & psu helping): cpu 72, cores 82, gpu 84

I saw cpu throattling only in psu inverted & closed case setup. Other than that no throattling at all. The best solution might be inverting the psu so it gets the fresh air and stick 2 60mm exhaust fans back left above gpu and back right below psu! There is room for 2 60mm fans in there but i just need to figure out how to fix them (no holes or place on case to screw the fans).

@BF3 & turbo off & case closed & psu inverted

Bah my Zontac GF9300-D-E is finally crapping out. Memory slots are going bad. Sometimes one ram slot boots, sometimes none. Sticks are good though. Checked on the egg and see other people have had similar ram slot issues so I'm going to RMA it. Thankfully I registered after I bought it like 3 years ago. Let's see what they do about it.

I'm not hesitant to upgrade it (E8600, IceQ 4850) but it still runs all my stuff well at 1080p. What I'm waiting for is that modular 450w sfx psu. Might as well take this time to paint the inside black (rocking an original 350w sg05) and repaint the outside since it's scratched in a few places.

Back