[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

here you go, measurements were a bit conservative so you might have another mm or so but id say they are pretty close to exact
awdkzd.jpg

here you go, measurements were a bit conservative so you might have another mm or so but id say they are pretty close to exact

Thanks, you helped me a lot. This means that a 3,5" hdd will not fit there since it is 102 mm broad. Mabe if I mod the front (make a hole so the side of the hdd is basically outside. This might work in an SG06 with the larger front.)

Its a pity, because in the standard position, the hdd blocks the airflo quite a bit. At the bottom would be the better place, if the case would be only a centimeter deeper.

regards
mariachi76

Interesting post as I thought a bit about mounting a SSD there. My idea was to have a Corsair H60 with a fan so I guess I have too see that it won't work.

Go 2.5" HDD, better for SFF cases, in this space is minimun to place a monster like that.

In c ase u used a 2.5" u can place it below the fan in the front, on top, ext to the PSU or standing up, at the right side of the case, behind the power and reset buttons

yeah if you can id recommend mounting it to the side or top of the case

You mean like that?
sug054.jpg

If there is enough space between the cooler and the right side (as should be with the layout of most 1155/1156 itx boards with cpu socket close th PCIe), it might work.
Did anybody ever try that? Or could somebody measure that?

regards
mariachi76

with the shuriken and the cpu close to pcie placement there is plenty of room. id say 3-4 inches
This isnt the greatest angle but it shows how much room there is
dnoj7o.jpg

and there is about just about 6 inches between the the psu and the front

with the shuriken and the cpu close to pcie placement there is plenty of room. id say 3-4 inches
This isnt the greatest angle but it shows how much room there is

and there is about just about 6 inches between the the psu and the front

Looks good. But a hdd is 5.75 inches long, so the "about" part of the 6 inches could be important :).

In summary, I want to have 2 SSDs (raid 0) and one 3,5" hdd in the case, and without blocking the airflow. Additionaly, I want to mount the hdd vibrationproof somehow. Up to now, I see three options:

1) Remove the original 3,5" and 2,5" cage and mount the hdd higher to not block the airflow too much. The ssd´s would be under the front fan on top of each other, or besides each other

2) somehow hang the hdd on the right side, and mount the ssd´s under the front fan

3) put the hdd on the base between front and mainboard. This would require to cut a 15cmx2,5cm hole into the inner front since the hdd is about 10cm broad, but there s only 9cm of space. The mod would not be visible from outside. Forthermore, the front fan would need to be placed about 1 cm higher to allow the hdd enter under it.
The SSDs would be mounted in the original 2,5" bay, and directly under it.

Option 1 seems to be best since it leaves everything more or less accessbile. I estimate the hdd will still obstruct the airflow a bit, but that means also cooling for the hdd. But the drive cage would need to be modded (remove 2,5" part).

Option 2 would eventually work without mod, but it covers the entire side and does not allow to do anthing in the case without being removed.

Option 3 would require a larger mod, but somehow I like the idea.

Any thoughts on that?
mariachi76

Looks good. But a hdd is 5.75 inches long, so the "about" part of the 6 inches could be important :).

In summary, I want to have 2 SSDs (raid 0) and one 3,5" hdd in the case, and without blocking the airflow. Additionaly, I want to mount the hdd vibrationproof somehow. Up to now, I see three options:

1) Remove the original 3,5" and 2,5" cage and mount the hdd higher to not block the airflow too much. The ssd´s would be under the front fan on top of each other, or besides each other

2) somehow hang the hdd on the right side, and mount the ssd´s under the front fan

3) put the hdd on the base between front and mainboard. This would require to cut a 15cmx2,5cm hole into the inner front since the hdd is about 10cm broad, but there s only 9cm of space. The mod would not be visible from outside. Forthermore, the front fan would need to be placed about 1 cm higher to allow the hdd enter under it.
The SSDs would be mounted in the original 2,5" bay, and directly under it.

Option 1 seems to be best since it leaves everything more or less accessbile. I estimate the hdd will still obstruct the airflow a bit, but that means also cooling for the hdd. But the drive cage would need to be modded (remove 2,5" part).

Option 2 would eventually work without mod, but it covers the entire side and does not allow to do anthing in the case without being removed.

Option 3 would require a larger mod, but somehow I like the idea.

Any thoughts on that?
mariachi76

6+ inches, but the normal orientation on the psu has the cables coming out right there and could cause some issues, its still feasible though, and flipping the psu would eliminate the problem altogether.

I vote for option 3
I did something to that effect to allow bigger gpus, and will be doing so again with the intake to make room for a thickrad in push/pull. it gives you the few extra mm you need and like you said, is invisible from the outside
2q3t6pi.jpg

6+ inches, but the normal orientation on the psu has the cables coming out right there and could cause some issues, its still feasible though, and flipping the psu would eliminate the problem altogether.

I vote for option 3
I did something to that effect to allow bigger gpus, and will be doing so again with the intake to make room for a thickrad in push/pull. it gives you the few extra mm you need and like you said, is invisible from the outside

I would flip the PSU anyway. I plan to use a geminII or a geminII S (have both at home). I will remove the 8cm fan of the psu, cut away most of the fan grill and put a 12cm fan into the PSU (with half of it being out of the PSU).

jeminiibig.jpg

or
3993906060_913674dfd7.jpg

The latter one (GeminII) might be a bit more difficult since it would obstruct the PCIe, so I would have to turn it 180 degrees and cut the fins (or the rear of the case). And probably some modest heat pipe bending.

However, regarding HDDs, I somehow like the option 3 too. The HDD is mostly out of the way there, and it somehow makes use of the senselessly wasted 1,5 cm between inner and outer front plate :).
Option 3 would even let space for another hdd as pointed out in option 2 :)

regards
mariachi76

p.s. by the way, since I dont own the case yet, whats that nipple on the ground of the proposed hdd place? Can it be removed easily?

Last edited:
It was supposed to be for a card reader addition, that was used in one of SilverStone's other cases, but it was never realized. It's the reason for the little metal punchout near the bottom front, and the removeable front bezel (well, maybe other reasons, too, but this is the first I can think of). In terms of removeal... I don't know, I guess I'd have to check. Remind me if I forget to, and nobody else does.

2q3t6pi.jpg

Wait, is that an 11" card in there?

It was supposed to be for a card reader addition, that was used in one of SilverStone's other cases, but it was never realized. It's the reason for the little metal punchout near the bottom front, and the removeable front bezel (well, maybe other reasons, too, but this is the first I can think of). In terms of removeal... I don't know, I guess I'd have to check. Remind me if I forget to, and nobody else does.

I see, thanks for that. It seems it can be removed easily with a dremel.
regards
mariachi76

Wait, is that an 11" card in there?

yeah, I couldnt fit the front bezel on with it but im using a 570 now and while it wouldnt normally fit in the sugo that cut gives me the few extra mm to allow it to fit fine with the front bezel

Could it be done in the SG06 and it's double dumped out bezel?

EDIT: I'll find out in about "5-8 days" if Amazon is to be trusted :p

Could it be done in the SG06 and it's double dumped out bezel?

EDIT: I'll find out in about "5-8 days" if Amazon is to be trusted :p

That extra space on the front bezel might just give you the space you need, its gonna be pretty tight though
wu5y0j.jpg

thats how much space youll need to make up, I no longer own any 5870s so I cant measure but it looks pretty close

Hmmm...Thank you for the image (that is definately worth it's golden weight in words...)
Though I think I'm going to get a HD6850 from that ebay deal thread(s)... They even have FC blocks for those, lol.

Ah okay. From that angle it looked like it might work and I was second guessing my skill with a measuring tape lol

Nice Pictures!! In the future, I'd recommend using some strong lighting, and simply disable camera flash. :)

Most likely reason is space :p

In the Q08 the additional space is mostly occupied by a 5,25" odd and a ATX PSU.
What exatcly didn´t fit into the SG05? I am askin because I also have to decide between the two cases for my new build I will start in about 2 weeks.

regards
mariachi76

You mean like that?
sug054.jpg

If there is enough space between the cooler and the right side (as should be with the layout of most 1155/1156 itx boards with cpu socket close th PCIe), it might work.
Did anybody ever try that? Or could somebody measure that?

regards
mariachi76

Hi just to let you know you can fit a 3.5hd and still fit the slim dvd drive as well :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1539848

In the pics are without the dvd drive, i can post some with if you want to see?

Why did you change from the SG05 to the Lian Li Q08?
regards
mariachi76

I always chose the graphics card to 26 cm (10 "- which is best for Sugo SG05) Now select something like 570,580 GTX, HD 6950 or 6970, thus the stronger ATX power supply, then 3x HDD 3.5" which is to simply get Sugo , I am sorry that at the H67 so I buy the OC,only about Core i7-2600, we'll see what the market in the coming weeks, possibly wait for SSD SATA 6Gb / s.

Hi just to let you know you can fit a 3.5hd and still fit the slim dvd drive as well :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1539848

In the pics are without the dvd drive, i can post some with if you want to see?

Tanks a lot for that, it is good to see that mounting the hdd like that fits, and that it has been done before.
Awesome build by the way, I'll for sure post mine whe it's ready.
Regards, mariachi76

A question to the SG06 black owners: Does the case come with a black bezel for the optical drive like the one on that foto (second from right):
33.jpg

regards
mariachi76

Is that a slim sata adapter on the right? neither of my sg05s 300w or 450w came with that. anyone wanna sell me one?

A question to the SG06 black owners: Does the case come with a black bezel for the optical drive like the one on that foto (second from right):
33.jpg

regards
mariachi76
That's a DVD drive kit from Silverstone, that comes with the DVD drive, not the case. I own a SG05 black and a SG06 silver. Both only come with the blocking insert of the correct color, and not an actual bezel. The SG06 blocking insert is still plastic.
Is that a slim sata adapter on the right? neither of my sg05s 300w or 450w came with that. anyone wanna sell me one?

SG05/SG06 only come with the JAE50 to IDE adaptor. If you want a slim sata, you can find them on ebay for less than 10usd for JAE-->Sata and 5usd for slimsata-->Sata.

Do you guys know any type of "Sata+Power" adapter for 2.5" HDD's with no circuit board, just like the "WD SecureConnect".

It's for making a kind of "Hot Swap" adapter for 2x2.5 hdd at the back of the case, between the PSU and the left top bar, just on top of the Graphics Card

I've just put a SG05 together and installed an SSD but I can't fit the 3.5" drive in as the bracket is prevented sliding all the way in by the cable for the ATX power connector. Is anyone running a 2.5 and a 3.5" drive in there, any help gratefully received.

I'm a noob so is that ok to do doesn't have any impact on how the PSU works. Again sorry for the stupid questions

It doesn't have any impact. It will, however, cause the cables to be on the other side of the PSU mount (notice how the middle bracket and the backside screw holes are already configured for allowing this :)) and the fan to have a direct access to the top vent on the case :D

And welcome to [H] :)

It doesn't have any impact. It will, however, cause the cables to be on the other side of the PSU mount (notice how the middle bracket and the backside screw holes are already configured for allowing this :)) and the fan to have a direct access to the top vent on the case :D

And welcome to [H] :)

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Back