[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

just an idea. Would it be possible to fit the SFX PSU in the front of the case? there seems to be enough room for it to work. this way we can the full height of the case to use for the CPU heatsink.

Ha! i had that Idea too, I thought about implementing it but In the end, I didn't pursue it because I don't have the tools/equipment.
If you orient it vertically and have the cables pointing up, the fan doing intake from the front fan and the exhaust through the bottom, you will loose alot of airflow from the front fan (not a huge deal) but you'll also lose the 3.5" drive
To replace the front fan, I thought about mounting a 120mm fan towards at the back of the case where the grill is, get a drill and make some more holes, but mount it to the frame of the case cos the case is removeable and may cause cabling issues with a 24pin plug
Theres about 140-150mm height clearence above the CPU so a mid-range tall heatsink may fit the bill, BUT! i have a h55 board so the width kinda sucks.
Fan on the heatsink would be pulling away fromt he heatsink and towards the side fan that I mentioned.

I thought that this setup would lose a lot of ventilation and might get dusty cos out pressure>in pressure.

I would like to see other people's temperature results with MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB (725MHz) and with EVGA GTX 460 1GB Superclocked (768MHz). Should overclock both cards to 800MHz, the same level as the Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum. I'll run a better benchmark with my Palit if needed.

Maybe the EVGA card will have better cooling in the SG05 case due to its exhaust design. It appears to direct most or all of its heat directly out the back of the case (next to the DVI plugs).

The MSI Cyclone card looks like it will throw heat in every direction inside the case instead of exhausting it out the back. Palit seems to exhaust a lot of heat through the top of the card (lots of heat inside the case), and some heat out the back.

Last edited:
Right now I'm running a GTX 470 in mine, and with a lowely Celeron e3300 CPU (OC'ed to 3.5GHz). For cooling I'm using the Scythe Big Shuriken. So far the stock PSU, has done fine. But realistically I know I don't have much time before it bites the dust cause of the graphics card.

Been looking for a decent power supply option, not really seeing any that are over 500w. Anyone got any suggestions on where to find ones that are reasonably priced?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like the price a lot. Sucks it seems sold out everywhere right now. If it has the same quality as the stock 300 that came in the SG05, it should handle my setup nicely.

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread but...

Has anyone noticed the striking resemblance of the SG06 and Sony's ES receiver lineup (ES models since about 2004 to present)? The trademark slant is shared, along with a machined alum front panel...

Looks to me if you have an ES receiver, it's a great case for an HTPC:

DA5500ES (as an example):
x1585500ES-F.jpeg

SG06:
SG06B-Front.jpg

I wonder if someone at Silverstone doesn't use an ES receiver themselves? :)

My new case showed up at the door this morning...

cimg2873g.jpg

I love silverstone for shipping an alternate front/bottom panel that DOESN'T have their logo.

EDIT: Dangcurseit!! The HD5870 is just *that* must too big...

Last edited:
One question, will the original 300W psu handle GTX460 and i7 870, no OC?

It should... i7 870 is max 95W (and should take quite a bit less if your board allows to undervolt it a bit), and the GTX460 shouldn't take even 150W from what I've gathered. The other components don't draw excessive amounts, so you should be good to go.

Interesting.. I re-installed Windows 7 and my GTX 460 temperatures dropped. Here's what the temps were like at first:

Temp results with Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum:

I bumped it up to 830MHz:
In-game BC2: 82C @ 74% fan speed
Over 2 hours of gameplay, no problems.

After Windows 7 re-install, the temps are like this:

In-game BC2: 69C @ 69% fan speed
Over 5 hours of gamplay, no problems.

A big difference, and my case definitely felt cooler to the touch so it's not an issue with the temp sensor. To the best of my knowledge, the BC2 graphic settings are the same as before.

Sometimes the core clock speed drops to 410MHz after a computer crash (only happened once in Starcraft 2). A computer restart brings it back to 830MHz as normal.

Anybody who has MI P55-T36+i5 750+SG05/SG06 that overclocked 3.4Ghz, How's PWM temp? I'll put some heatsinks soon on top and bottom but wasn't sure if I should make vent on bottom to get some air flow or not. Are you doing ok with just heatsink on them? When mine is up, it will be running 100% load most of times so I want to be on safe side.

Thanks

has anyone here tried securing the PSU in the front of the case?
That would pretty much block the front fan and destroy the airflow in the case... so I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. I suppose you could try placing it where the HDD and ODD trays are if you wouldn't be using them, but even then it'd be more of a mess - cabling, etc - than worth it, I imagine.

Besides, you already asked that before :p

You will have to lose the 3.5" drive for that, guess that's the momentus XT never heard of it, otherwise it'll do nice, I plan upgrading mine to the 450w PSU and either a GTX460 or a GTX470, still deciding.

You will have to lose the 3.5" drive for that, guess that's the momentus XT never heard of it, otherwise it'll do nice, I plan upgrading mine to the 450w PSU and either a GTX460 or a GTX470, still deciding.

It's that 2.5" SSD/HDD Hybrid drive, iirc.

That would pretty much block the front fan and destroy the airflow in the case... so I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. I suppose you could try placing it where the HDD and ODD trays are if you wouldn't be using them, but even then it'd be more of a mess - cabling, etc - than worth it, I imagine.

Besides, you already asked that before :p

Yeah i know I was just hoping someone here would give it a shot. I'd do it if I had the case.

9300ITX on the way :D

Now I wait (since I am downscaling one of my C2D rigs from mATX to mITX)

some pics (poorly taken, of course :p)

C2D E7200
Zotac 9300 ITX
2GB OCZ Gold
HD4350 GPU ( a hair faster than 9300 mGPU - much faster than an 8500gt, in my experience)
Seagate 1.5TB HDD.

:)

That's a nice little system. I have the itch to assemble a system in this case so bad :D

Build quoted below. Just posting cause I got a meter to measure the watts coming from the computer. This is what I got:

Crysis = ~160w
3d rendering = ~155w
Idle = ~60w
All cores loaded = ~195w

Amazing, this is.

My sg-06 build:

Intel i7 860
DFI Lanparty P55 motherboard
4GB DDR3-1333
Radeon HD 5850
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Sony slim blu-ray disc drive.

On my desk:
20100404231855.jpg

Next to my TV:
20100409163157.jpg

The temperatures are pushing it a bit on stock cooling, I may buy an external water cooling system to keep the temperatures down to a more reasonable level.

I had a zotac mobo before but that motherboard blew up when I ran superPi.

Build quoted below. Just posting cause I got a meter to measure the watts coming from the computer. This is what I got:

Crysis = ~160w
3d rendering = ~155w
Idle = ~60w
All cores loaded = ~195w

Amazing, this is.

I'm having minor problems believing your meter :D By comparison, according to my meter my ITX build featuring E5200 + Zotac 9300 + HD 4670 took about 60W at idle, while undervolted i5 750 + GA-P55M-UD2 + HD 4670 took about 75W idle, and my current setup with GTX 460 takes about 85W. Playing WoW kicks it up to 180-220W at least even when just "idling" in the game, and even more when actually doing stuff. OCCT PSU test kicks it up to 300+ W on average :eek:

Of note is that my GTX 460 is power hungrier under load than your 5850, but my CPU on the other hand is less hungry. PSU efficiency affects readings as well of course (I assume your readings are from the wall?) but there shouldn't be a big difference in the efficiency of the SG05 PSU and my Nexus.

One of our meters certainly seems to be a bit off. I actually hope it is mine, since that would mean I'm probably actually using less than it is telling me :D

I didn't want to tempt fate so I quickly picked up that 450w psu. Its been working great. I'm hoping to use the 300w psu in a later build for a small server or something.

I'm having a huge problem to decide which type of cooling must use for my sg05.

I thought I could buy an h70 and place it completely inside, but as the rad is thiker, its 25mm+50mm+25mm=10cm... and there's no such space there... Could it still work with a unique fan, or with a 38mm fan? I just don't want to mount it out of the case, it looks horrible.

The other option is to get the h50 and install 2 fans in push-pull config.

I had zotac 9300-I-E /q8200 /big shuriken /2x2gb black dragon 800mhz ddr2 /samsung 120gb 2,5"hdd / msi 5770 hawk, but I would like to change h55n-usb / i3-530 / 2x2gb ddr3 and prolimatech samuel 17.

sorry my english is not perfect.

I was wondering if any of you know about a hotswap 2x HDD 2.5" to 3.5", I mean, To hot swap 2 SSD's into a 3.5" bay adapter, so i can plug the hdd's in and no cables need to be pluged for that

Should fit ok as far as width goes since it's only two slots, but height... it'll be a close call. Sapphire Ultimate HD 4670 that I previously used also had a part protruding at the top (pic), and it was a close call fitting it (pic).

Apparently according to Sapphire's site, the top protrusion is 17mm high (pic). Powercolor only provides board dimensions... I suppose that should include the cooler, which would put it at 131mm compared to the Sapphire's 129mm. If that's true, it'd be a tight squeeze, but should fit. In fact, someone here seems to confirm that it does in fact fit... teaches me to google before making pointless analyses :D

Aside from fitting, I'm not 100% sure if the card would stay cool enough in the SG05. While the 4670 had a lesser cooler, it also had a bit lesser power consumption, and tended to run quite hot indeed. But I suppose it might be ok.

Aside from fitting, I'm not 100% sure if the card would stay cool enough in the SG05.

It will, i had a passive 4870 with a artiv cooling S1. this card seems perfect. but remove the plastic crap on top of the cooler, thats where most airfow is.

How about the 6850? Any mod required? I'm thinking it's the perfect fit for the SG05, with its very low power consumption, it should even be within the capabilities of the default PSU.

First of all, HD6870 is 7% slower than 5870, but it has fresh drivers so in a few moths they will be equal more or less. 6870 uses 40W less (151W), but this is MAX and unrealistic for gaming, ill guess 120W max during gaming. so it should work great with the 300W psu :D

For size :)

its 9,8 inches or 24,8 cm so it fits like a glove. I think this is the perfect card for SG05/06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mazv1EJQiuo

Back