[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Which slim DVDRW drive are you guys using with this case? I read that some don't fill the entire opening so it leaves a gap around drive. Is there one that fits perfectly? I don't want to get the Silverstone one because they're expensive.

Hey guys,

I built a SG05 recently:

Case: SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case SFX 300W 80Plus Power Supply - $99
Motherboard: DFI LANParty MI P55-T36 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $139.99
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $90 on Craigslist.
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - $180 on Craigslist.
CPU Cooling: CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - $79.99
Hard drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM - $419.99
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail - $108.99

Total: $1117.96​

It runs great. Even with the GTS 250 GPU, Battlefield 2: BC2 runs fine at full detail @ 1280x1024. However, since upgrading to a 1920x1200 monitor I'm getting some choppiness in the middle of heavy action.

So I need a better card. I'm also interested in 3D gaming.

Will a GTX 470 or GTX 480 run with the stock SG05 300W PSU? I can't buy the Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Power Supply because of its unavailability.

On an unrelated note, this recently released MiniITX motherboard may be a much better choice over the DFI and Zotac:
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Just a heads-up for new SG05 builders.

I'd wait and get the 450w PSU and get a 5850 or wait a bit to see how the GTX460 goes

No way to run a 470 on stock PSU, it will likely run for a bit and the something will probably die

Cut a hole in the Optical Drive mounting bracket for the PCI-E 6pins to go through; then cover the cut area with electrical tape.

Thats what I did and it doesn't bend the card like in your case.

-Sid

That's what I did finally, didn't want to cut the case, but when you do it well, you don't even see it was modded, and it's a small mod, easy and quick to make.

I'd wait and get the 450w PSU and get a 5850 or wait a bit to see how the GTX460 goes

No way to run a 470 on stock PSU, it will likely run for a bit and the something will probably die

Backordered the 450w PSU.. ETA is hopefully 2-3 weeks. Thanks!

I built my SG05 about a week ago, its working great.
Gigabyte H55-N,
i5 750,
Radeon 5850
4GB Kingston ValueRAM,

Man! Such a boost over my old laptop in power. Makes me shiver. I'm not overclocking or intentionally pushing the limits so I've decided to stick with the stock cooler, Temps around 40C - Is this alright?

To all those that could do some awesome cable management in this case, I salute you. Man, mines just a mess. Man it took some patience to build this, kinda messed up a bit when I was cutting the hole for the PCIe power though :( Dust filter doesn't clip on anymore, needs a bit of tape.

Last edited:
I built my SG05 about a week ago, its working great.
Gigabyte H55-N,
i5 750,
Radeon 5850
4GB Kingston ValueRAM,

Man! Such a boost over my old laptop in power. Makes me shiver. I'm not overclocking or intentionally pushing the limits so I've decided to stick with the stock cooler, Temps around 40C - Is this alright?

To all those that could do some awesome cable management in this case, I salute you. Man, mines just a mess. Man it took some patience to build this, kinda messed up a bit when I was cutting the hole for the PCIe power though :( Dust filter doesn't clip on anymore, needs a bit of tape.

are you using the stock PSU? if so, any issues during long game sessions?

The PSU will push 350w with no issues, I have seen mine, but might not last that way

Finally, I crammed all of these into sg06
i5 750
gigabyte 5870
corsair hx650
WD 3.5" 1TB black
X25-M G2 80gb
coolit alc eco
For those who don't mind gettoing their pc, its pretty easy challenge

ps. now i think i should have waited for sg07 or st45sf...;;

ssa40790comp.jpg

ssa40757.jpg

ssa40775.jpg

ssa40781.jpg

For this case would a AMD Phenom 955 be better or something like a i5? I haven't seen many Phenoms any reason?

For this case would a AMD Phenom 955 be better or something like a i5? I haven't seen many Phenoms any reason?

2 reasons, Not many motherboards available and their TPD is quite high

are you using the stock PSU? if so, any issues during long game sessions?

My long gaming sessons really consist of lots and lots of L4D2. No real problems there. I havn't experienced BSoD yet or it cutting out unexpectedly. I'm going to try and get my hands Dirt2 or a DX11 game.
I'm going to grab a ST45SF as soon as its in stock in NZ.

Does anybody know if its possible to build a hackintosh with the ATi 5xxx series with my motherboard? I'd really like to give it a try.
fr500, would you know where to look?

P55 is good for hackintosh boards so If you have the DFI board probably you can.

Otherwise the best bet for a hackintosh believe it or not is the Zotac 9300, IGP and everything, I got one dedicated for a small home audio workstation.

For your P55 hackintosh needs go here

Drats, I have a H55 board with a i5 750. I'll take a look into it. thanks

I have a SG05 on order from Newegg. I'll be putting a Gigabyte H55N-USB3 and Core i5 750 along with a HD5770. I'm left with two decisions I need the make before I order the motherboard and CPU.

1. Heatsink. I won't be overclocking and my main goals are comfortable temperatures and silence. Any recommends? Some of the more ideal choices (like the Big Shuriken) seem to be a issue since my DDR3 has higher than normal heat spreaders (G.Skill Ripjaw) and the socket location on the Gigabyte board.

2. Optical drive. What options are there that are known not to have a gap around the front? I'm not going to shell out as much dough as Silverstone wants for their rebranded drive, especially given most options cost half as much.

I have a SG05 on order from Newegg. I'll be putting a Gigabyte H55N-USB3 and Core i5 750 along with a HD5770. I'm left with two decisions I need the make before I order the motherboard and CPU.

1. Heatsink. I won't be overclocking and my main goals are comfortable temperatures and silence. Any recommends? Some of the more ideal choices (like the Big Shuriken) seem to be a issue since my DDR3 has higher than normal heat spreaders (G.Skill Ripjaw) and the socket location on the Gigabyte board.

2. Optical drive. What options are there that are known not to have a gap around the front? I'm not going to shell out as much dough as Silverstone wants for their rebranded drive, especially given most options cost half as much.

Check out my post: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528717

I'm using an AXP-140 which I'm pretty sure there's room for the ripjaws.

Even the Silverstone optical drive leaves a gap. A user named joelC posted in my thread that he created his own bezel that looks pretty nice. Can't even tell an optical drive is there.

Finally, I crammed all of these into sg06
i5 750
gigabyte 5870
corsair hx650
WD 3.5" 1TB black
X25-M G2 80gb
coolit alc eco
For those who don't mind gettoing their pc, its pretty easy challenge

ps. now i think i should have waited for sg07 or st45sf...;;
What are your temps at idle and load? I'm curious how that gigabyte board you have is. You overclocking as well? You got a work log?

Has anyone tried the Cooler Master Vortex Plus on an H55 board?

cmvortexplus_pspc.jpg

Its 84mm w/ the 25mm thick fan. If you can find a 92mm x20mm fan, you're golden!

I am running a gtx 465 ( its basically a 470 since i unlocked it) and a core i5 750(stock) on the dfi board with the st45sf. I was able to play just cause 2 and bioshock 2 for hours without problems. I have no idea on watt pull though nor the long term consequences of running this setup on a 450w psu. I'm fine with this since I will rarely be gaming once school starts.

Hey did you see the GTX460, I think it's a worthy upgrade over my GTS250, 160w TDP (only 10W more)

Guess I could even run it on the stock PSU, seems a perfect match to my i5 [email protected] and the upgraded TV (720p old, 1080p new)

I'm wondering the same thing. The 460 is a nice upgrade over my 5770 and it's peek load isn't too much over the 5770's.

Anyone tried a 460 with the stock power supply yet?

If you play "some" games you might get an ATI 5670, it's pretty good performance, low power and relatively cheap.

I use a Corsair H50 in this case and it's great, dunno about the thermalright with a quad.

Hmm, weird issue. Built my SG05 based rig yesterday. Core i5 750 + H55N-USB3 + HD5770. Using the stock 300W PSU and using stock Intel heatsink for now.

Now... I had a series of random shutdowns. My first thought of course was heat. I thought the Intel heatsink wasn't up to the task (I noticed that it's smaller than the one that my Core 2 Duo E6300 came with!). Well... download Core Temp and run it and... I'm currently idling at 40C to 44C. The shut downs occured during idles too.

Even further the system was on all night transferring data from an external HD to the internal. It did this just fine and was running happily when I checked the progress.

Any thoughts? I'm currently typing this post on. The longest it's stayed up since the first shutdown. Gave it a few minutes after the last one. I'm planning on buying a new heatsink once I make a decision but still. Judging by the temperatures this doesn't seem heat related.

EDIT: Just to give some additional information. I just played a brief round of Bad Company 2. The temperature on the CPU did reach 75C but the system never shut down and is still going fine (and temperatures have gone back down to 45C~). Definitely going to get a different heatsink if for no other reason than to kill the noise form the Intel fan... it's very loud.

Last edited:
Check the phase temperatures, there is probably a program in the Gigabyte bundle, my DFI had shutdowns when power circuitry temp exceeded 90c. My Zotac 9300 had random shutdowns when the northbridge exceeded 80c too

If you play "some" games you might get an ATI 5670, it's pretty good performance, low power and relatively cheap.

I use a Corsair H50 in this case and it's great, dunno about the thermalright with a quad.

Do you have the Corsair mounted in the front in place of the 120mm? Which direction is your airflow?

To the inside of the case of course.

Only compromise on using the H50 is that I can´t use a 3.5" drive

Check the phase temperatures, there is probably a program in the Gigabyte bundle, my DFI had shutdowns when power circuitry temp exceeded 90c. My Zotac 9300 had random shutdowns when the northbridge exceeded 80c too

I'll check that out. None of the Gigabyte utilities seem to report the temperatures of the phase or northbridge, however. Worth noting that the shut downs seem to only occur when the case cover is on.

I just finished doing the cabling and flipping the PSU so it's sucking in cool air. Maybe there's a chance the fight between CPU fan and PSU fan was causing this? Not sure. I know my idle temps for the CPU are down further by about 1C to 2C on average which puts it around 37C to 40C for idle... which seems more than fine.

If this doesn't work then I'll make a rush order for a new heatsink tomorrow and probably a slightly faster case fan, the Silverstone included one does spin very slow and is barely moving air.

I'll check that out. None of the Gigabyte utilities seem to report the temperatures of the phase or northbridge, however. Worth noting that the shut downs seem to only occur when the case cover is on.

Maybe the cover is hitting something, causing a short? Possibly a stray power connector hitting something critical.

To the inside of the case of course.

Only compromise on using the H50 is that I can´t use a 3.5" drive

Yeah, I'm using a H50 as well, and I have one 2.5" on the regular drive bay above the fan, and I'm thinking of mounting another one on the floor. There's also the option of a custom bracket that can screw into where the 3.5" bay fits, but hangs vertically along the side, it can probably hold 1 more 2.5" disk there on the side

Redid the cable routing in the case last night before work. After work I fired up Bad Company 2 to see if it helped. Played a full round (30 minutes~) with zero problems with cover off. Placed cover on paying careful attention to any potential wires that might be getting clipped. Then played BC2 for about 20 minutes with zero problems. I'll report back if the problem occurs again.

Temperature of CPU during BC hovered around 68C to 72C according to the CoreTemp log file.

I received the Silverstone 450W PSU for my SG05. If you guys want me to test a GTX 465 with the stock PSU before I upgrade to the 450W PSU, I can probably do it.

I tried both MSI GTS 250 and ATI Radeon 5770 video cards. The 5770 seems to handle low FPS better but it runs 73C stock during gaming (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 @ 1920x1200 resolution). I tried to overclock the 5770 for a few more FPS but dual monitors flickered in Windows (idle) and the game crashed (black screen). Need better GPU cooling in the SG05 case!

DFI Lanparty mobo, i5-750 CPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB Intel X25-M SSD.

I installed my GTS 250 in my brother's cheap $500 AMD mATX build. His FPS looks much smoother than mine with either the GTS 250 and 5770. Same clean OS, same drivers. Not sure why..

Anyway I'm looking to buy a GTX 465, 470, or 480 to use with the 450W PSU. I'm leaning towards the GTX 465 if I can safely unlock it to a 470 or overclock it a bit. I can test the stock PSU before installing the 450W PSU. Any suggestions on which video card to get?

Last edited:
My advice is to go for the new GTX460 - that's what I'm doing. It's a much better card than the GTX465 tech-wise. Around the same performance (can't recall the exact difference), but runs a lot cooler and draws less power, which is good news for SFF builds especially. In some tests it was going side by side with the GTX470, even.

I'd get a GTX460 if you have the extra cash a GTX470 is a better investment, the 465 is a crippled down 470 and it's not 100% safe to say it will unlock

Back