[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

I just built a couple of SG06 and SG05 systems.
Overall these are two great mini-ITX cases. probably even the best around.

Only a few issues i have with these cases.

1) i wish they would hold two, 3.5" Hard drives without need for custom modifications.There is enough room so i don't know why they decided against it.

2) in one case the power supply made a loud buzzing noise, even when computer was off, so i don't know how reliable the included 300W PSU is.

3) Every system was missing 2 screws, the top basket is only held with 2 screws even though there is 4 holes.

4) The metal is quite thin would have liked thicker metal especially for the cover that tends to bend a lot, and does not have a really solid feel. snapping out the front metal plate for the optical drive can even bend the crap out of the whole case. If they are providing a case with such thin metal, they can at least provide it with this piece already removed.

5) SG06, the silverstone logo on the front is huge and ugly, at least on the SG05 you can replace the logo with the blank plastic snap in.

6) SG06, reset button in back!, pretty stupid, they had plenty of space to put one in front, just looks like they forgot to do so.
I agree with most of this but the reset button hard drive and PSU. The PSU is actually extremely good for SFX. I'm shocked what it can support. The reset button in the back is a blessing since you won't accidentally hit it. I would accidentally hit the recessed ones all the time. It's a little harder on the SG05. Also, it can hold 2 hard drives..one 2.5 and one 3.5. This is almost always good enough for the SFF crowd.

I'll be reviewing the SG05w shortly based upon what an SFFer would like.

The SG06 has a metal bezel "skin" which is nice but I might like the SG05 front better...I dunno yet.

The metal cover is a tough situation...if you make it too thick you can't get it off and it won't bend back as easy. If you make it too thin then it tends to warp a bit and bends too easy! My SG06 has a little warp to it (not bad at all) but the SG05 is fine.

Steeeeve:

My SG06 had a situation where 2 of the motherboard standoffs broke off while screwing in the mobo, some of the paint was chipping too. (I bought the case new from Amazon).

Did you ever have any build quality issues like that with the SUGO series of cases?

Steeeeve:

My SG06 had a situation where 2 of the motherboard standoffs broke off while screwing in the mobo, some of the paint was chipping too. (I bought the case new from Amazon).

Did you ever have any build quality issues like that with the SUGO series of cases?
You must be one in a million because I've tortured the standoffs and they never broke and I never felt they would either. I have the SG06S and the SG05W and nothing chipping yet. I've dropped it a few times though :)

I've had 2xSG01, SG03, SG05, and SG06 and the build quality is generally good with the exception of the few things I mentioned above. You'll see the reviews soon enough though!

Steeeeve:

I have built a couple of SG05 and SG06, and i have not yet broken a standoff.
However i have striped a screw that goes in one of the motherboard standoffs.

Which reminds me of one other thing these cases could use.. better motherboard screws.
i have no idea why they went with such a fine threaded screw for the motherboard.
The screws they provided for the motherboard are usually reserved for 3.5" optical drives in most other ATX cases.
They are very easy to strip just due to overtightening. and if you dont tighten them enough they can lossen over time.
Thats why i use lock-tight on my screws on SG05/6 builds.

My SG05 just arrived. Just one step away from putting it all together. Need to get a Zotac min-ITX mobo. :)

Cooler Master GeminiII should be here tomorrow. (refurb. unit direct from CM for $7.99)

Last edited:
Hardware arrived!! Waiting for the i5 750s!!

Have 3 SG05 systems so far

My HTPC/Living room gaming PC (being overhauled)
SG05B, DFI P55-T36, Intel Core i5 750 or i7 860 (still thinking about it), eVGA GTS250, 4GB Corsair XMS3, Corsair H50

My brother's digital audio workstation/hackintosh
SG05B, Zotac 9300-D-E, Intel e8400, 4GB Corsair XMS2, GeminII fanless, ESI Maya44e

A friend's build (in progress, CPU out of stock)
SG05B, DFI P55-T36, Intel Core i5 750, XFX 5770, 4GB Corsair XMS3, Corsair H50

DSC02924.JPG

Think i'll get a Corsair CX400 for $40 in my gaming SG05 and get a better GPU in the next few months

Let me know how your build goes! I had 2 SG06s and 2 of the DFI Lanparty mobos.

One sg06 had bad standoffs, the other had a defective PSU (fan didn't work, got very hot).
One DFI mobo worked great, except didn't detect 4GB RAM, the other one just kept crashing all the time.

I gave up and bought a Mac Mini. :(

Also I don't think a CX400 will fit in the SG05 but I could be wrong.

Getting a Zotac 9300? GeminII doesn't fit 1156 boards
Yes it does...well the GeminII S does...you just have to buy for that one though. :)

Just thought I would clear that up in case someone didn't see the picture...the GeminII supports up to 775...the GeminII S has a seperate bracket for 1156.

Last edited:
That's what I meant, and he has a GeminII, the S is a lot smaller with space for just one fan.

I have the GeminII S bracket (pictured there :D) will test it even if I don't use it to enlighten if the bracket is interchangeable

That's what I meant, and he has a GeminII, the S is a lot smaller with space for just one fan.

I have the GeminII S bracket (pictured there :D) will test it even if I don't use it to enlighten if the bracket is interchangeable
Yeah, I hate to say it but sometimes I have to dumb it down as not to spread rumors...ha a sad by true statement about life

I've had my SG06 for a couple weeks now and am wondering a couple things.
I'd like to pick up an xfx 5770 to replace my 4650, but I'm a little worried about cutting it close for the power supply. The rig is in my sig but I'm running an x3440 @ i7 860 clocks. The H review of 5770 puts OC'ed power draw at 302w, but their test setup uses an i7 920 @ 3.6ghz.

I have an intel 80gb ssd and a 2.5" laptop pull in the system as well, no optical. You guys think I would be ok with the 5770?

What is your BCLK? overclocking does increase power consumption a lot in lynfields if I remember correctly from the anand coverage. Does the x3440 have hyperthreading?

Remember you shouldn't go beyond 180BCLK without HT and 150BCLK with it.

You should be safe the PSU is good, I run an i5 750@150BCLK plus a more hungry GTS250 and no issues.....(well my PC wakes up from sleep 30 seconds after going to sleep...but it's not that important)

CPU-Z tells me its at 150 with 19 mult. x3440 is just the xeon version of the i7 860 (HT) but at 2.53 stock instead of 2.8, so i have it clocked at 2.8 right now @ 1.1V.

Temps on IBT get to around 70-75 using a Big Shuriken, but I don't really feel the need to OC further, but I know the gpu OC will really get me more frames when I dual client EVE.

ok I just got my 5850 toxic. The PCB is short enough, however I don't know whats the right angle to put it at for a smooth insert. Seems like an edge is always blocking me, never a straight drop in.

*nevermind

Put the back in first. The trick is having everything wired but keep it loose. Pull the front of the card towards the inside and push down. Once its in, start pulling the front to line it up straight again. Watch for pinched wires, the front panel section will bulge if you don't have any cuts into the case.

Last edited:
CPU-Z tells me its at 150 with 19 mult. x3440 is just the xeon version of the i7 860 (HT) but at 2.53 stock instead of 2.8, so i have it clocked at 2.8 right now @ 1.1V.

Temps on IBT get to around 70-75 using a Big Shuriken, but I don't really feel the need to OC further, but I know the gpu OC will really get me more frames when I dual client EVE.

What's the advantage (price aside) of getting a Xeon x3440 instead of an i7 860? binned for lower voltage maybe?

What's the advantage (price aside) of getting a Xeon x3440 instead of an i7 860? binned for lower voltage maybe?

Maybe. I heard somewhere that Xeons are more strictly binned or something, but there isn't any real difference otherwise. I love this thing :)
I don't know what i7 860's run at, but I was surprised when I could drop the voltage on mine so low at 2.8ghz.

can someone recommend me a slim optical drive? It needs to be sata since I don't have any more molex plugs.

You'll need a slim SATA to standard SATA adapter

SilverStone makes the same product.

my coolermaster gemini IIs is rubbing against the PSU :( I guess I have to buy a slim fan to have clearance.

Does anybody know of any more powerful PSUs that will fit inside the SG05 (without heavy modding and with the DVD drive still in)? I ordered a new CPU a couple of days ago because I found a cracking price. Came yesterday, machine won't POST with everything connected up. Spec as follows;

Intel Q9505
ATi 4850
4GB DDR2 800
Zotac 9300 WiFi
Sammy Slimline DVDRW
WD Caviar Blue 320GB 2.5" HDD

I can get it to POST without the DVD drive plugged in and then reconnect the DVD drive straight after. I can run the system as normal without the GPU or with the old CPU (E5200). Everything points to not enough power to boot to me.

Three choices;

1) Put the Q9505 in the cupboard until the 450W PSU/SG07 launches
2) Buy a 5770
3) Find a more powerful PSU now

Any opinions? Obviously it'd suck to put the chip away for a couple of months, but at the same time a 5770 is like £120 and not much of an upgrade from a 4850? I can also bag a 5850 with a copy of DiRT 2 for under £200 so the 5770 seems kinda bad value for money.

As I said at the start, if anyone knows of any good PSUs that are already out I'd love to know. I need to be able to track them down in the UK too, which is the bigger problem really. I've found possibilities from searching the forums but can't find any UK supply.

That's weird.

I'm using a i5 with a 5850 without problems. I don't have a dvd drive though. I use a USB dvd drive when I need to use dvd, but it doesn't happen often :p If you're to wait for the 450w psu, you could wait a long time.

The 4850 is probably more power hungry than the 5850, I have an i7 860 and a GTS250, one laptop 500gb hdd and a slimline DVD and works fine, maybe the lynfield is more efficient than the C2Q?

You can fit a corsair CX400 if you cut the tray a bit and use an H50

That's weird.

I'm using a i5 with a 5850 without problems. I don't have a dvd drive though. I use a USB dvd drive when I need to use dvd, but it doesn't happen often :p If you're to wait for the 450w psu, you could wait a long time.

Yup, I got the same. Core i5, 5850 and a Veloraptor 300.

Back