[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Cool. Too bad there aren't any single-slot versions though.

Question for those using a Zotac GF9300, an ATI card and Windows 7 (any 64-bit version). Have you tried running the onboard 9300 AND the ATI card (along w/ ForceWare for the 9300 and ATI CCC for the ATI card) all at the same time / simultaneously?

Does it really work?

Also, is anyone using an 80GB Intel X25M G2 as the main OS drive + a separate 2.5" hard drive ALL inside the SG05?

I'm thinking of picking up one of those 80GB Intel X25M G2s. I'll put that in the 2.5" drive bay right under the optical drive then stick my 300GB VelociRaptor (2.5" version) on the bottom of the case right in front of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Cool. Too bad there aren't any single-slot versions though.

Question for those using a Zotac GF9300, an ATI card and Windows 7 (any 64-bit version). Have you tried running the onboard 9300 AND the ATI card (along w/ ForceWare for the 9300 and ATI CCC for the ATI card) all at the same time / simultaneously?

Does it really work?

Also, is anyone using an 80GB Intel X25M G2 as the main OS drive + a separate 2.5" hard drive ALL inside the SG05?

I'm thinking of picking up one of those 80GB Intel X25M G2s. I'll put that in the 2.5" drive bay right under the optical drive then stick my 300GB VelociRaptor (2.5" version) on the bottom of the case right in front of the motherboard.

See the post by Hotrod_NM @ http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=492219&sid=0c20d67d0d6212629faddac62e525e92

What did he post about? I didn't really see anything about what I was asking...

I've just sold my GTX 280. I decided to go with a Sapphire 5850 for under $2275 online. I ditched my GTX 280 for $230 sooo.....

Looks like I'll have to stop using the FSP 300 watt PSU and ATI 4850 loaner card.

When is that new 450 watt PSU arriving?!?!

So, after returning the Galaxy GTX260+ Razor (single slote GTX260), I ordered a PowerColor HD5770 (uses one slot opening, but takes up two slots).

I'm happy with it. It's a big upgrade from my Gigabyte GTS250 and it's much more quiet (uses a low-profile version of the Arctic Cooling L2 Pro.) and uses less energy. I don't need that new 450W PSU anymore.

Old:
videoat.jpg

Hacked up bracket I used to have in the second slot (the large molding of the real quad USB port bracket was too big to fit w/ the GTS250's heatsink so I made a hacked up version of the quad USB bracket that would fit).:
hackbracket.jpg

======================

New:
powercolorhd5770insg05.jpg

powercolorhd5770close.jpg

In that second / open slot bracket, the real quad USB bracket:
14-000500010.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my! It is not hooked up haha.

I'm wondering if the Corsair H50 will fit with this video card in there...hmm. Might have to go get an H50.

Yeah, I took the picture before hooking up the 6-pin power. The H50 should fit w/ this card.

Anyone using:

SilverStone SG05
Zotac GF9300-D/G/I-E
Scythe Big Shuriken

?

Is there enough space b/w the top of the Big Shuriken and underside of the PSU to put a standard 25mm thick case fan?

Okay, the $1m question concerning the build i'm pricing up.

Will the H5O fit, with an HD5850, in the SG05, without interfering with the 2.5" drive bay and the optical drive bay and without any modding required?

Removing the 3.5" bay will clear enough space but you will probably have to move the mounting holes for the rad (drilling the case)

i thought it was already concluded that the 5850 does not fit with h50? or am i incorrect? lol

i thought it was already concluded that the 5850 does not fit with h50? or am i incorrect? lol

Well i've not really had a definitive answer on it yet. I've seen pictures of it fitted but then I don't know if it's required modding or not.

I'm having problems with the chipset cooling on my build (see signature). When the room temperature is only a few degrees too high, the system will shut down with a blue screen and not turn on before I took the case cover off to let it cool down for a few minutes. Afterwards, I have to leave the cover off in order to play games that generate a lot of heat through the video card.

Is there anything I can do to improve the cooling on this build? I don't really see room for an additional fan near the chipset or video card. Get a dual slot video card? Get a new heatsink for the chipset? More powerful fan at the front?

I have a 80mm fan on top of the chipset heatsink, It solved all my issues.

Really? How did you fit the 80mm fan on there? Do you happen to have pictures available?

Not now, I'm at work, I used double sided tape :D no biggie fits just fine below my GeminII

Hi guys, newbie @ [H]

SG06 with full ATX PSU, quadcore, decent graphics, 4.5To and more!
hdfmpaj7ep2elv7oz9-img_0640.jpg

More pics on SFF Club Thread ;)

Hi guys, newbie @ [H]

The forum link on SFFClub leads to the SFF section of [H]. Did I miss anything? :) Nice build!

Built this as an X'mas gift (last month) for my son's girlfriend :

SG-05-exteriorfront.jpg

SG-05-waterblocks.jpg

SG-05-gfxcard.jpg

SG-05-interiorsideview.jpg

SG-05-hdd.jpg

SG-05-interiortopview.jpg

SG-05-radiator.jpg

SG-05-memory.jpg

SPECS
- Mobo : Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi w/ EK NB/SB 5 chipset waterblock
- CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (o/c'ed to 3.5GHz) w/ EK Supreme LT waterblock
- Memory : 2 x 2GB G.Skill PI Black DDR2-800 (stock timing : 4-4-4-12)
- HDD : WD VelociRaptor 300GB
- Gfx Card : XFX HD5750 1 GB
- Fan : Intake - Scythe S-Flex E 120mm 1200rpm

WATER-COOLING SYSTEM
- CPU Waterblock : EK Surpeme LT with Acetal top
- Chipset Waterblock : EK NB/SB 5 with Acetal top
- Pump : D-Tek db-1
- Radiator : Black Ice GT Stealth 120
- Tubing : Tygon R3400 and Tygon Silver Antimicrobial 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD
- Coolant : Fluid XP+ ECO-EARTH

Hi guys, newbie @ [H]

hdfmpaj7ep2elv7oz9-img_0640.jpg

Oh man you got some MEAN cable mass inside of that thing! Good effort on controlling that beast!

Built this as an X'mas gift (last month) for my son's girlfriend :

IMG]

[B]SPECS[/B]
- Mobo : Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi w/ EK NB/SB 5 chipset waterblock
- CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (o/c'ed to 3.5GHz) w/ EK Supreme LT waterblock
- Memory : 2 x 2GB G.Skill PI Black DDR2-800 (stock timing : 4-4-4-12)
- HDD : WD VelociRaptor 300GB
- Gfx Card : XFX HD5750 1 GB
- Fan : Intake - Scythe S-Flex E 120mm 1200rpm

[B]WATER-COOLING SYSTEM[/B]
- CPU Waterblock : EK Surpeme LT with Acetal top
- Chipset Waterblock : EK NB/SB 5 with Acetal top
- Pump : D-Tek db-1
- Radiator : Black Ice GT Stealth 120
- Tubing : Tygon R3400 and Tygon Silver Antimicrobial 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD
- Coolant : Fluid XP+ ECO-EARTH[/QUOTE]

Nice job, elpibe!! I have been thinking of going with liquid cooling for an itx build since there isnt much to my liking in air cooling. Thanks for posting this solution.

If anyone is wanting to know. I did some power draw tests for my system in an SG-06 with stock 300W SFX PSU.

Specs:
Intel q9650 stock
Zotac geforce 9300 itx wifi
2x2GB pc6400 (Gskill)
Sapphire Vaporx 5770 @ 910/1325
OCZ 60GB Agility SSD
Pioneer Slot loading DVDRW

Readings are in AC from a Kill a Watt.

Idle: 72W
Gaming Shattered Horizon: 172W
Prime 95 and Furmark running: 255W

If we use an 80% efficiency on the full load we will have 204W DC. A 5850 fits in the power requirements with a quad as the TPD is 151W and the 5770 is 108W. Only a 43W difference.

Wow, great info, specially since are similar to my numbers:

[email protected]
2x2GB Corsair XMS2
Nvidia Geforce GTS250 @ stock
Silverstone SOD01

Without the GTS250:
Idle 42W!!
3dMark Vantage: 79W

With the GTS250
Idle: 70W
3dMark Vantage: 129W on CPU tests 170W on most other tests

I thought about getting a radeon 5850, but the issue I was running into was lack of 4pin molex connectors. I didn't want to daisy chain splitters onto a 4pin molex. I have 1 4pin for the optical drive adapter and the other 4pin is for my CPU fan and my intake fan since I am running them undervolted. Makes me wonder why silverstone put a floppy connector on the PSU, I mean there isn't a external 3.5" bay!

Neither the less, I am satisfied with the 5770 as the performance is greater than the HIS 4850 I had. It also runs cooler and consumes less power.

Really my only gripe with my system is the PSU is the loudest component now. Maybe changing the psu fan to a 92mm fan will decrease the noise.

Got my SG06 in from amazon, and have disassembled it. The layout is actually much better than I'd predicted for my uses; with everything removable, that gives me the flexibility to do what I want. I'll be using both an intel g2 80gb and a 320gb laptop pull mounted on the floor in front of the mobo.
Big Shuriken with 25x120mm fan, etc..

I'm not really worried about temps. As long as its stable, I don't think heat will kill anything faster than my constant urge to upgrade anyway.

Got my SG06 in from amazon, and have disassembled it. The layout is actually much better than I'd predicted for my uses; with everything removable, that gives me the flexibility to do what I want. I'll be using both an intel g2 80gb and a 320gb laptop pull mounted on the floor in front of the mobo.
Big Shuriken with 25x120mm fan, etc..

I'm not really worried about temps. As long as its stable, I don't think heat will kill anything faster than my constant urge to upgrade anyway.

The case has a very nice layout. There are only a few gripes about the package. The PSU cables are too long for my tastes and if you are using a 3.5" HDD it blocks the airflow and takes up a significant amount of space. Before I got my SSD I ran my 500GB 7200.12 outside of my case :/.

Temps should be fine as long as you provide adequate air flow. My cpu is cooled by a nexus low 7000. The fan is very loud at 12V so I have it undervolted so it is inaudible to me. Temps can get fairly high if I stress it with prime95 (85C~), but it is stable. I know 85C is higher for some peoples tastes but it is still under Intel's tjmax and that is when running prime 95. For my daily tasks, I idle in the mid 50's and when gaming I am in the mid 60s. I am thinking of investing into a better cooling solution such as the H50, axp-140, or the gemin II.

Even if you do not speak French, there is an AMAZING review of a SG05 here with watercooling..
The pictures are worth a look.

http://www.cowcotland.com/articles/515/jouer-en-mini-itx-aller-plus-loin.html

I have seen some pictures in this thread with the corsair H50 installed so I am not surprised. I was hoping it had a DIY watercooling system installed.

which cpu air cooler for this? I plan on using the DFI/ I750 with this case. Also will a 5870 be ok on the stock PSU?

Last edited:
which cpu air cooler for this? I plan on using the DFI/ I750 with this case. Also will a 5870 be ok on the stock PSU?

5870 is a no, I'd say. 5850 maybe (although too close for comfort in my opinion).

Favourite coolers:
Thermalright AXP-140
Corsair H50
Cooler Master GeminII (1156 bracket?)
Scythe Big Shuriken

5870 is a no, I'd say. 5850 maybe (although too close for comfort in my opinion).

Favourite coolers:
Thermalright AXP-140
Corsair H50
Cooler Master GeminII (1156 bracket?)
Scythe Big Shuriken
Good good.

5850 is yes with slim fan up from...5870, forget it. 5770 is my favorite for the SG05/SG06

I'm working on testing the H50 vs Geminii S (socket 1156 bracket sold separately..a-holes) vs stock cooling all in an SG05

I just built a couple of SG06 and SG05 systems.
Overall these are two great mini-ITX cases. probably even the best around.

Only a few issues i have with these cases.

1) i wish they would hold two, 3.5" Hard drives without need for custom modifications.There is enough room so i don't know why they decided against it.

2) in one case the power supply made a loud buzzing noise, even when computer was off, so i don't know how reliable the included 300W PSU is.

3) Every system was missing 2 screws, the top basket is only held with 2 screws even though there is 4 holes.

4) The metal is quite thin would have liked thicker metal especially for the cover that tends to bend a lot, and does not have a really solid feel. snapping out the front metal plate for the optical drive can even bend the crap out of the whole case. If they are providing a case with such thin metal, they can at least provide it with this piece already removed.

5) SG06, the silverstone logo on the front is huge and ugly, at least on the SG05 you can replace the logo with the blank plastic snap in.

6) SG06, reset button in back!, pretty stupid, they had plenty of space to put one in front, just looks like they forgot to do so.

1) i wish they would hold two, 3.5" Hard drives without need for custom modifications.There is enough room so i don't know why they decided against it.

4) The metal is quite thin would have liked thicker metal especially for the cover that tends to bend a lot, and does not have a really solid feel. snapping out the front metal plate for the optical drive can even bend the crap out of the whole case. If they are providing a case with such thin metal, they can at least provide it with this piece already removed.
There is no point in using 3.5" drives because they also block the air flow from the front fan. A good 2.5" 7200 RPM laptop drive is good enough. Besides in a few years the 2.5" SSDs will be standard.

I agree about the metal cover.

There is no point in using 3.5" drives because they also block the air flow from the front fan. A good 2.5" 7200 RPM laptop drive is good enough. Besides in a few years the 2.5" SSDs will be standard.

I agree about the metal cover.

They would not necessarily have to block a lot more of the front fan In order to accommodate two 3.5" drives. All they would have to do is make the current basket that holds the 2.5" a little bigger and give an adapter for 2.5" drives. already the 2.5" bracket is larger then a 2.5" drive therefore they would only be adding a little bit more to this assembly.

The benefit of 2 x 3.5" drives is ability to inexpensively create a multi TB raid array within one of these cases to take advantage of the RAID features available on many mini-ITX boards.

Back