[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Just curious, has some1 tried using dual psus w stock and a picopsu? A pico psu should be enough to power everything but the gpu in even a q9550 setup, so you use the pico for the primary and the stock psu to power the GPU and the peripherals.

Last edited:
There are already some people doing it. I'm going to be trying an AXP-140 today with a Scythe 120mm slim fan like the one that comes with the Big Shuriken. They just arrived yesterday. I also have a couple of standard, 25mm x 120mm fans that I will try for fit with the standard PSU and will report back.

Raven, ever get to test the AXP-140 w/ the 25mm thick fans and stock PSU?

Raven, ever get to test the AXP-140 w/ the 25mm thick fans and stock PSU?

The 25mm fan won't work! The much slimmer fan from Scythe. The Slip Stream 120x12mm fits fine of course. It might be a stretch even to fit a 20mm fan in there... I got one of the faster Slip Stream fans that I'm controlling with a Fanmate from Zalman.

There was another user here who got a 120x20mm fan in there. Tight fit, but it worked. I'm guessing since the 140mm mounting spot / location on the AXP-140 is "higher" / raised up a little, a 140x20mm fan is definitely not going to fit.

I really want to use an AXP-140 w/ a 140mm fan. Maybe I could grind / sand the fins a little bit to make room for a 140x25mm fan?

There was another user here who got a 120x20mm fan in there. Tight fit, but it worked. I'm guessing since the 140mm mounting spot / location on the AXP-140 is "higher" / raised up a little, a 140x20mm fan is definitely not going to fit.

I really want to use an AXP-140 w/ a 140mm fan. Maybe I could grind / sand the fins a little bit to make room for a 140x25mm fan?

:eek: I'm not sure about grinding the fins as they seem pretty delicate... Anyway, I think a good 120 should fit your needs. The AXP-140 is an awesome heatsink though. Definitely a keeper.

What's that opening below the front fan for?

sg05front.jpg

The case comes with a replacement bezel cover for that area.

That opening was designed for fitting a slim card reader such as the one we have implemented for our LC19 and ML02 cases:

LC19-03.jpg

ML02-03.jpg

Currently this is an OEM only option as we have no plans to add into our retail SG05 and SG06 cases.

If we have a LC19 or ML02, can we simply remove the card reader from either case and install it into the SG05?

That opening was designed for fitting a slim card reader such as the one we have implemented for our LC19 and ML02 cases:

Currently this is an OEM only option as we have no plans to add into our retail SG05 and SG06 cases.

Just sell it seperately as add-on?! I'd take one.

So it comes with 6-pin + 8-pin, this means probably 450W ++++ ??

I can share a little more on this unit:

Market availability - Late December or Early January
Standalone retail part - yes
Power rating - 450W with single +12V@36A

I have no pricing information at this time.

Can't this just be ordered as a replacement part for either of the cases mentioned?

Even though the chassis frame has the cutout, the front panel for both SG05 and SG06 do not have cutout to accommodate the card reader so this wouldn't work.

The 25mm fan won't work! The much slimmer fan from Scythe. The Slip Stream 120x12mm fits fine of course. It might be a stretch even to fit a 20mm fan in there... I got one of the faster Slip Stream fans that I'm controlling with a Fanmate from Zalman.
Looks like a 20mm fan will fit:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034225342&postcount=194

I got a 120mmx20mm Yate Loon fan. It has larger blades than the Scythe. Not sure, but don't fans with many thin blades cause more turbulence and noise?

Thanks for the information Tony. Do you have a model number for this new PSU? Also, what size fan does it have? 80x15mm like the current PSU?

Wow a new PSU would be a godsend!

Just a update, I have experienced some problems with the HD5850, when playing Call of Juarez on highest settings the computer shuts off after 20 min, it is most definitely a power supply issue. Although some less demanding games seem to work fine, then again I haven't tested out that many games yet.

Thanks for the information Tony. Do you have a model number for this new PSU? Also, what size fan does it have? 80x15mm like the current PSU?

We will announce the PSU name officially at a later time. It has the same size as the 300W unit inside the SG05/SG06 so it also has same size fan.

So it'll be an outright new purchase? There won't be some kind of trade-in or upgrade program or discount for current SG05 / SG06 owners?

So it'll be an outright new purchase? There won't be some kind of trade-in or upgrade program or discount for current SG05 / SG06 owners?

Yes, unfortunately we do not have the logistic ability to make financial transactions directly wtih end-users all over the world.

Even though the chassis frame has the cutout, the front panel for both SG05 and SG06 do not have cutout to accommodate the card reader so this wouldn't work.

Sell it as bundle of new front panel plus card reader then. Don't make it so hard to give you money :D. A card reader would be a great addition to the case and I bet some people would make the upgrade.

I'm in process of selling what I have and move to following.

SG05
[email protected](It's capable but not sure if it is doable with GF9300 G-E)
Zotac GF9300 G-E
G.Skill Black PI 2x2GB
Corsair H50
2x120 Zigmatek PWM fan for H50
MSI GTX260
1-3 2.5" HDD(haven't decided how many to use yet but max 3)

This is my plan for my moving to smaller build. I originally planned to dremel PSU opening for my HX620 but was wondering how new PSU would work with above set up. Do you think it will handle it? Other concern is would PSU be under stress and be somewhat loud at load? I'm kinda sensitive to noise. If it it, I don't want to wait and just get current SG05 with 300w PSU and ditch that for HX620.

I have everything already except GF900 G-E and SG05 so it's matter of deciding which SG05 to go for.

Thanks

CORRECTION: Only SG05 is left for me to buy as I just bought GF9300 G-E for $126 shipped from mwave

Last edited:
For those interested in this new PSU would you want to do an order? I can sell them on SFFStore.com which will reopen then and with a big enough order I'm sure Tony will give me a good price (hint hint).

I'm already set up as a retailer with them.

For those interested in this new PSU would you want to do an order? I can sell them on SFFStore.com which will reopen then and with a big enough order I'm sure Tony will give me a good price (hint hint).

I'd buy it from your store if you give [H] members a discount. :p

I'd try to give a minimum price but keep in mind that profit margins are extremely low for computer parts and I don't want to take a loss plus it takes a lot of time to do all of this :)...maybe at cost to me or a slight profit hehe

Steeeeve- I am definitely interested in this psu if the price is under $100.

I'm in process of selling what I have and move to following.

SG05
[email protected](It's capable but not sure if it is doable with GF9300 G-E)
Zotac GF9300 G-E
G.Skill Black PI 2x2GB
Corsair H50
2x120 Zigmatek PWM fan for H50
MSI GTX260
1-3 2.5" HDD(haven't decided how many to use yet but max 3)

This is my plan for my moving to smaller build. I originally planned to dremel PSU opening for my HX620 but was wondering how new PSU would work with above set up. Do you think it will handle it? Other concern is would PSU be under stress and be somewhat loud at load? I'm kinda sensitive to noise. If it it, I don't want to wait and just get current SG05 with 300w PSU and ditch that for HX620.

I have everything already except GF900 G-E and SG05 so it's matter of deciding which SG05 to go for.

Thanks

CORRECTION: Only SG05 is left for me to buy as I just bought GF9300 G-E for $126 shipped from mwave

The new 450W PSU should handle your system without any problems as we used GTX 285 and HD 4870 during its development. However, you may find cooling down your CPU quietly inside the SG05 to be challenging.

The new 450W PSU should handle your system without any problems as we used GTX 285 and HD 4870 during its development. However, you may find cooling down your CPU quietly inside the SG05 to be challenging.

Tony, how did SilverStone fit a GTX285 in the SG05?

The GTX 285 won't fit in the SG05, we tested the PSU on an open bench. :)

The GTX 285 fits with a mod as seen on this link, gtx 260 and 285 is the same length

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372339&page=10

To bad the HD5870 isnt an inch shorter it would be great with the new 450W :D

Wil the new PSU be a stander m-atx psu? or is it fitted for the SG05,06? would be breat with shorter cables

The new PSU is a standard "SFX" unit, it is exact same size as the 300W we included in the SG05 and SG06.

The new PSU is a standard "SFX" unit, it is exact same size as the 300W we included in the SG05 and SG06.
Will the cables be shorter and/or sleeved? The cables on the FSP300-60GHS are far too long for such a case and very difficult to stow away.

I don't have exact details on this model's cables, but I believe the length will be similar to the 300W currently used in the SG05/SG06.

I might have misunderstood whole thing. 450w PSU, is it being sold by itself or include in newer batch of SG05 with higher price?

Back