Your thoughts on upgrading to a 2080ti from a 1080ti

• Thread starter Deleted member 312202
  • Start date
I suspect that the next cards from NVIDIA may be slightly cheaper. Its hard to say given that the complexity of these cards has increased each generation. However, what we are seeing now could be the new normal. Unfortunately, we don't know yet. A lack of serious competition from AMD is part of the reason for NVIDIA pricing. Until that changes, I think this is the new normal. Unfortunately, AMD charges nearly as much as NVIDIA does in many price points for a card that performs worse.

Yes they did. However, you have to examine the reasons behind this. I suspect they moved the "Ti" up to the Titan's old price point as the last few Titan cards have been decent sellers for gamers. Prosumers who really need the compute power generally have bigger budgets, so they've placed the Titan in a price bracket that used to be exclusive to the Quadro family. Those cards are also probably more often sold in OEM channels than through outlets and sites that deal in DIY hardware. NVIDIA's statement as I recall mentioned poor sales of the 2070 and 2080 and not the 2080 Ti specifically. I'll wager the latter did fairly well like the Titan V and Titan Xp before it. The reason why the 2070 and 2080 TI's sold poorly is due to the fact that they aren't really fast enough for ray tracing and because they are barely an upgrade over the cards they replaced. Certainly not enough to justify the replacement of so many 1080 and 1080Ti cards out there already.

As a 1080 Ti owner, the 2080 offered nothing but a small performance boost that wasn't worth the price of admission and a ray tracing feature I couldn't really use right now. Not only are there too few titles to use it with but the card isn't really fast enough for that.

I'm trying to make sense of this, but I am not sure what you are talking about.

Well that is an option and at no point would your money go directly to NVIDIA or AMD. Unfortunately, the last couple years have seen prices on used GPU's at insane levels. I'm not sure you'd be saving enough to offset the pain of buying new enough to justify the wait. That's a personal call for you.

My whole point is that people want to demonize NVIDIA. It certainly deserves that but on the other side of the coin, as a business, AMD has proven to be largely mismanaged and that's putting it nicely. In a sense, your arguing over which company is worse. On one end you acknowledge NVIDIA's wrong doings and are seemingly unaware of how badly run AMD is and how bad it can treat its customers. I know first hand what the darker side of AMD looks like.

NVIDIA may be immoral at times, but how moral is it to mismanage a company so badly that it nearly craters every few years? The executives doing this are still well paid for their "leadership" and ran the company into the ground with ineptitude. Now, obviously Lisa Sue isn't the same as the old guard and things are changing there. However, in the past on the AMD side, they've done some things which are questionable at best. Internally, they ran off many talented engineers over the years leading to worse products. Its had an inability to retain talent for a reason. AMD ignores issues rather than solving them. There was a well known EDID issue with AMD cards that lasted for years. (It could still exist for all I know.) I've gone to them about issues with Crossfire and Eyefinity on some of their cards, or mGPU issues and they've completely blown me off and pretended the problems didn't exist only to fix them with a hardware redesign in its next generation. I've gone to them as a customer and through with Kyle via HardOCP. Those discussions never amounted to anything.

In similar situations, NVIDIA has never been like that. This may sound like personal slights, but it comes down to AMD making a worse product, getting it reported by many customers (not just me), and then ignoring that for years on end. That's terrible customer service on top of being a company that's been largely mismanaged. From a customer service perspective, NVIDIA is vastly superior to AMD on every front. My point is that both companies are guilty of things that many people would boycott them over. The hardware industry evolves and changes more than most and who's worthy of your hard earned dollar today will be the company you'll want to boycott tomorrow and vice versa. People have these preconceived perceptions about these companies and how they work internally, but aren't close enough to them to know anything. They simply think, Intel is huge and therefore evil. AMD is small and therefore its an underdog and a champion of the people. Larger business practices aside, to the average consumer, I can tell you for a fact Intel is far nicer and more caring than AMD is and as a general rule NVIDIA will give you better customer service than AMD will.

Obviously, its your money and you can vote with your wallet however you want. I fully support that, but understand that if you think AMD is some pillar of virtue and a champion of the blue collar gamer, think again. They'd charge you $1,100 for a GPU if they had one that they thought they could sell at that price. Their CPUs are only priced so well because they have to be. If AMD had an IPC advantage, a core advantage and the clock speed advantage to definitively out perform Intel at every turn, their CPUs wouldn't be so cheap. That Threadripper 2990WX would likely be $3,000+. That upcoming Ryzen 16c for AM4 wouldn't see the light of day for under a grand.

Without a doubt. That's something they utterly failed on this generation. The only card worth having was the RTX 2080 Ti, and it was priced like the previous Titan V which puts it way outside of reach for most people. I don't blame anyone who kept what they had from last generation. Unfortunately, I'm in that position with my monitor resolution and my tastes in games and settings that forces me to pay to play. I have to buy the best solutions I can to keep up. The GTX 1080 Ti's were great and I got allot of use out of them. Unfortunately, they still didn't cut it thanks to the game developers failure to support SLI very well. So the RTX 2080 Ti is a card I was foaming at the mouth to buy.

We aren't likely to see eye to eye on all this stuff, just keep in mind that there is dirt on all these companies. The publicly traded ones are the worst as they have a duty to produce results for their share holders. This leads them towards ever greedier behavior. NVIDIA may be the devil, but AMD is far from being a saint. Take that for what you will.
I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your replies, if only you had read my earlier posts instead of assuming my stance on AMD.
In summary we agree on almost everything.

ps
you have an "I" added at the start of most of the quotes from my post ;)

pps
"If they dont and AMD dont jump on the same train, they will likely be my next purchase."
should be read as
If NVidia keep prices high and AMD dont, I will take a long hard look at what AMD has to offer.
It did read like crap lol.

Last edited:
I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your replies, if only you had read my earlier posts instead of assuming my stance on AMD.
In summary we agree on almost everything.

ps
you have an "I" added at the start of most of the quotes from my post ;)

pps
"If they dont and AMD dont jump on the same train, they will likely be my next purchase."
should be read as
If NVidia keep prices high and AMD dont, I will take a long hard look at what AMD has to offer.
It did read like crap lol.

I didn't catch everything in the thread, so I could easily have missed something you posted earlier. And yeah, I agree with you for the most part.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
You can never have enough power, period, unless your card is blowing the doors off of the games you play at your current resolution with the image quality features you want.

I would look hard at benchmarks. The ideal time to upgrade is when you will be able to play the games you want at the resolution you want for a few years. You know it is time to upgrade when your games are chugging.

You can never have enough power, period, unless your card is blowing the doors off of the games you play at your current resolution with the image quality features you want.

I would look hard at benchmarks. The ideal time to upgrade is when you will be able to play the games you want at the resolution you want for a few years. You know it is time to upgrade when your games are chugging.

I agree. My 1080ti was doing well with most everything I threw at it, but again I really feel this will be my last desktop PC so I got what I wanted to last me a while.

I made the transition from a MSI 1080 Ti Seahawk X to a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid. While the cost of the EVGA card ($1,449 bought from Amazon) is not for the faint of heart. My monitor is an Alienware (AW3418DW 34" 120hz) wide screen and presently I am playing mostly Division 2. I ran the benchmarks with the same settings today. So as you can see I saw a 30 fps jump with the 2080 Ti. Both cards were overclocked (MSI was running at a 1950 Mhz and the 2080 Ti was at 2115 MHz). Do I think the 2080 Ti worth the money for the performance increase, no. Presently I am dealing with a hum / noise from the 2080 Ti and this appears to be a common noise among the Hybrid cards (pump noise). While I can not hear the noise while gaming due to 5.1 speakers but when I am not gaming the noise is some what irritating since my 1080 Ti Hybrid is silent.

benchmark_20190604_09h10m.png
benchmark_20190604_09h10m.png
benchmark_20190604_07h32m.png

I had a 1080ti hybrid, sold it and owned a 2080ti briefly, sold that after it was RMAd,a back on a basic 1080ti I aio cooled.

My use case is low quality settings playing FPS.
I didn't see Earth shattering difference unless I was 180-200fps highs and lows we're tighter.
Every other situation I'm on the frame limiter.
I have used the following monitors with the 3 gpus: 27" Acer1080p 240hz, Dell 2716dgr, Acer X34.

I'll just wait a while before my next GPU upgrade bc as long as I can keep a 1080ti boosting under 55c people think I'm cheating using a pistol. Most games theres a movement bonus and sometimes a damage boost for headshots.

Really high framerates can make an ar seem like a sniper rifle bc I'm just on you if I can see you.

Well I just upgraded. A few weeks ago from a 1080 ti founders and went to EVGA 2080ti xtc and I’m like ......meh. But of course those bastards at Nvidia have a “newer” card coming out . Hope pricing not insane but it will be because of all of us suckers in this thread.

Well I just upgraded. A few weeks ago from a 1080 ti founders and went to EVGA 2080ti xtc and I’m like ......meh. But of course those bastards at Nvidia have a “newer” card coming out . Hope pricing not insane but it will be because of all of us suckers in this thread.
Well, at least you bought an Evga so you'll probably have an upgrade path. I bought a EVGA black so it's not likely I'll have an upgrade option.

I will wait to see what Nvidia has next, Super may budge me a little but next generation is when I will probably byte more with Nvidia. I have 2x 1080 Ti's mining 24/7 now and I game on a Vega 64 LC and totally contented with the performance. Maybe my use case is just not there anymore.

I will wait to see what Nvidia has next, Super may budge me a little but next generation is when I will probably byte more with Nvidia. I have 2x 1080 Ti's mining 24/7 now and I game on a Vega 64 LC and totally content with the performance. Maybe my use case is just not there anymore.

I fixed that for you. It was bugging me. Honestly, it really depends on what resolution your using and what games you are playing. My old Titan X is on the test bench and handles the modern games pretty well at 1080P. There is very little I think would cause a problem for that card at those resolutions. At 2560x1440 or higher its showing its age. I've played on Vega 64 cards at resolutions up to 3440x1440 and had good experiences with it. I know it would struggle at 4K, which is my chosen resolution so it isn't the card for me, but if you aren't at 4K, you can get by with a lot less card than the RTX 2080 Ti.

I fixed that for you. It was bugging me. Honestly, it really depends on what resolution your using and what games you are playing. My old Titan X is on the test bench and handles the modern games pretty well at 1080P. There is very little I think would cause a problem for that card at those resolutions. At 2560x1440 or higher its showing its age. I've played on Vega 64 cards at resolutions up to 3440x1440 and had good experiences with it. I know it would struggle at 4K, which is my chosen resolution so it isn't the card for me, but if you aren't at 4K, you can get by with a lot less card than the RTX 2080 Ti.
The Vega LC is on FreeSync II 144hz 1440p HDR and a 3440x1440p 60hz non HDR monitor, so the performance is relatively good. The 1080Ti's are on a FreeSync 4K monitor. So for the resolution the Vega does very good for my taste at those resolutions. The VivePro is hooked up to the 1080 Tis where it performs flawlessly plus any 4K gaming that SLI works well exceeds 60fps maxed out at 4K for the most part. There is no pressing need to upgrade for performance sakes or IQ other than RTX for me at this time. Sadly mining would be the biggest reason to buy current generation GPU's.

Just want some thoughts on this subject. I game at 2560 x 1440. I am getting that upgrade bug but value peoples opinions here. I know Navi is on the horizon and all so I'm asking if it makes sense at the moment.
Do it. Navi isn't really going to be relevant to you're thinking of upgrading from a 1080 Ti.

The one reservation I might have is that nVidia is supposedly planning on a series of "Super" 20 series cards that have more cores than the current lineup, so there's an outside chance that they'll be rolling out a 2080 Ti++, although the rumor mill seems to indicate it doesn't include the 2080 Ti.

So, if you're cool with waiting for a few weeks, maybe wait, if you'd be really upset by that. Otherwise go ahead and upgrade if you want to. I upgraded to a 2080 Ti from a 1080 Ti, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it actually is. I needed the extra performance for Elite Dangerous (VR), but it also really made 4K gaming a pleasant experience, versus my 1080 Ti, which struggled with a lot of games.

My 1080ti could run most games at max at 1440p, but I may decide to upgrade the display down the road to 4k which is another reason for me going with the 2080 ti.

Unless that upgrade comes very soon, this upgrade is a colossal waste because there will be cards that will blow away the 2080Ti @ 4k before long.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
And then another one will blow that one away after that, and after that, and after that....

Solution: Never buy anything, ever.
The timing of what he said makes sense.
Arguing over this has no value especially with child humour.

The timing of what he said makes sense.
Arguing over this has no value especially with child humour.

?

"There will be cards that will blow away the 2080Ti @ 4k before long."

Pretty vague.

Buy what you need when you need it.

No arguing, no "child humor".

I made the same upgrade (but I game at 3440x1440) My thoughts: Was it WORTH it? Probably not, I got on average a 20-25% jump in performance but at 75% higher cost :( I was able to get $600 back on my 1080Ti have the FB market...

And then another one will blow that one away after that, and after that, and after that....

Solution: Never buy anything, ever.

Talk about going over your head and the head of those who "liked" your post. If you already had a gpu by your own admission isn't having a problem maxing out your games on your current display, it makes very little sense to drop a grand or more on a new GPU now for a display upgrade that MAY happen in the future. It makes far more sense to upgrade your card at the time you upgrade your display.

Solution: If your reason for upgrading your video card is for a display you don't actually have, wait until you buy or about to buy it. Good chance you'll have better options for GPU

Talk about going over your head and the head of those who "liked" your post. If you already had a gpu by your own admission isn't having a problem maxing out your games on your current display, it makes very little sense to drop a grand or more on a new GPU now for a display upgrade that MAY happen in the future. It makes far more sense to upgrade your card at the time you upgrade your display.

Solution: If your reason for upgrading your video card is for a display you don't actually have, wait until you buy or about to buy it. Good chance you'll have better options for GPU

Nothing went over my head here. I wanted to upgrade so I did. Took me a long time to pull the trigger, but I have no regrets here. I in fact did upgrade my display pretty close to when I got my new card also. I appreciate everyone's opinion here including yours.

Nothing went over my head here. I wanted to upgrade so I did. Took me a long time to pull the trigger, but I have no regrets here. I in fact did upgrade my display pretty close to when I got my new card also. I appreciate everyone's opinion here including yours.

If you think what I said equates to never buy anything it most certainly went over your head. Nothing wrong with upgrading because you want to. I was specifically referring to the monitor future proofing aspect of the decision.

If you think what I said equates to never buy anything it most certainly went over your head. Nothing wrong with upgrading because you want to. I was specifically referring to the monitor future proofing aspect of the decision.

Just because I liked his comment didn't mean I totally agreed with it 100%. I knew what you meant.

Zero regrets here and I may grab another 2080 Ti. I moved mine to a 4K rig and felt the drop when I moved my 3440x1440 setup back to the 1080 Ti.

I went from a Titan X (Pascal) on water to a 2080 Ti on water. Also upgraded from a high refresh rate 1440p monitor to a high refresh rate 3440x1440 monitor. Absolutely worth it for me. If you're running high refresh ultrawide, or 4k, you will see a performance uplift. If you can still get a decent amount from reselling your old card that ought to help swallow the $1200 pill that is the 2080 Ti.

I went from a Titan X (Pascal) on water to a 2080 Ti on water. Also upgraded from a high refresh rate 1440p monitor to a high refresh rate 3440x1440 monitor. Absolutely worth it for me. If you're running high refresh ultrawide, or 4k, you will see a performance uplift. If you can still get a decent amount from reselling your old card that ought to help swallow the $1200 pill that is the 2080 Ti.

Except, the RTX 2080 Ti isn't necessarily $1,200. They are $999 at Microcenter.

I'm glad the mythical $999 2080 Ti finally materialized on store shelves, but when I bought mine, $1200 was the lowest price available and it remained that way for several months. Even with a couple models of 2080 Ti available at $999, most are still over $1000. My local Micro Center shows 6 models @ $1199 OR HIGHER (most being higher), 3 models between $999 and $1199, and 2 models @ $999.

If I were buying today instead of at launch, I would probably go for the EVGA black version or another "reference design" and save the money. Funny how the Founder's Edition has become a "premium" part. Reference design and Founder's Edition used to be synonymous. I guess Nvidia took too much flak for selling reference designs at a premium and decided on the current scheme. I miss the days when $600-700 bought you the fastest video card on the market.

/rant over

At this point I'd rather wait for Navi20, Xe or Ampere. They are all coming out in 2020

Not worth it at all. 1080Ti is still a fucking beast of a card at 1440p. I love mine.
Same here. Really like to jump on new tech but amd is still lagging behind the performance of my 1080ti, and the value proposition of the 2080ti is non existent.

And I entirely have the money for it. It’s called voting with your wallet and not being impulsive imo. But if you find the value in it, and aren’t being an impulsive sheeple consumer, more power to you. That’s only about 2 active members on this board.

Same here. Really like to jump on new tech but amd is still lagging behind the performance of my 1080ti, and the value proposition of the 2080ti is non existent.

And I entirely have the money for it. It’s called voting with your wallet and not being impulsive imo. But if you find the value in it, and aren’t being an impulsive sheeple consumer, more power to you. That’s only about 2 active members on this board.

I’m staying at 1440p, have absolutely no desire to game at “4K” I’ll leave that in the living room. Don’t need or want 4K res on a 27” or 32” monitor.

And at 1440p, there’s nothing the 1080Ti doesn’t crush and will continue to crush for a long time to come.

Long live the beast lmao.

I'm glad the mythical $999 2080 Ti finally materialized on store shelves, but when I bought mine, $1200 was the lowest price available and it remained that way for several months. Even with a couple models of 2080 Ti available at $999, most are still over $1000. My local Micro Center shows 6 models @ $1199 OR HIGHER (most being higher), 3 models between $999 and $1199, and 2 models @ $999.

If I were buying today instead of at launch, I would probably go for the EVGA black version or another "reference design" and save the money. Funny how the Founder's Edition has become a "premium" part. Reference design and Founder's Edition used to be synonymous. I guess Nvidia took too much flak for selling reference designs at a premium and decided on the current scheme. I miss the days when $600-700 bought you the fastest video card on the market.

/rant over

Do you remember paying less than $400 for the fastest card on the market?

RiqxKXr.jpg

I see your display is 144Hz Freesync. How well does your current card perform? That's the real question.

I just upgraded from a 1080Ti mainly because I game @ 4k. For my purposes it was a logical upgrade- now I can get a consistent 60FPS on most games maxed out- I couldn't before.

As far as a single Navi based card competing against a 2080Ti, I highly doubt that's going to happen, but who knows?

Navi beating 2080TI, dead easy.
Question is.. will they ?
Will it be worth it ? Nvidia on 10 or 7nm will easily beat it.

1750 mhz 80 CU Navi with big fat 384 bit bus and 16gbit memory chips, issue solved and it'll be a lot faster. but as above.. will they....

Was this a special deal or an ongoing thing? They are sold out at my local MC. Was going to buy a 2080 Super on the 23rd but may go ahead and spring for the 2080ti if the MSI are going to be regularly available for $999.

Was this a special deal or an ongoing thing? They are sold out at my local MC. Was going to buy a 2080 Super on the 23rd but may go ahead and spring for the 2080ti if the MSI are going to be regularly available for $999.

It's only the reference designs. The EVGA branded one was the one I was thinking of specifically. You won't find any of the non reference designs going for that price.

It's only the reference designs. The EVGA branded one was the one I was thinking of specifically. You won't find any of the non reference designs going for that price.

It's also frustrating that the EVGA Black (so lower binned part) seems to have gone from $999 to ~$1079 or so most places. I'd definitely prefer that to the MSI equivalent (that is available at $999).

It's also frustrating that the EVGA Black (so lower binned part) seems to have gone from $999 to ~$1079 or so most places. I'd definitely prefer that to the MSI equivalent (that is available at $999).
Purchase directly from EVGAs store. Easiest that way. I live in MA, they offered me free shipping and no tax.

Back