Your thoughts on upgrading to a 2080ti from a 1080ti

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Niner21, May 5, 2019.

1. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your replies, if only you had read my earlier posts instead of assuming my stance on AMD.
    In summary we agree on almost everything.

ps
    you have an "I" added at the start of most of the quotes from my post ;)

pps
    "If they dont and AMD dont jump on the same train, they will likely be my next purchase."
    should be read as
    If NVidia keep prices high and AMD dont, I will take a long hard look at what AMD has to offer.
    It did read like crap lol.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I didn't catch everything in the thread, so I could easily have missed something you posted earlier. And yeah, I agree with you for the most part.

Nenu likes this.
  3. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

You can never have enough power, period, unless your card is blowing the doors off of the games you play at your current resolution with the image quality features you want.

I would look hard at benchmarks. The ideal time to upgrade is when you will be able to play the games you want at the resolution you want for a few years. You know it is time to upgrade when your games are chugging.

4. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

I agree. My 1080ti was doing well with most everything I threw at it, but again I really feel this will be my last desktop PC so I got what I wanted to last me a while.

5. Grunt

Grunt n00b

I made the transition from a MSI 1080 Ti Seahawk X to a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid. While the cost of the EVGA card ($1,449 bought from Amazon) is not for the faint of heart. My monitor is an Alienware (AW3418DW 34" 120hz) wide screen and presently I am playing mostly Division 2. I ran the benchmarks with the same settings today. So as you can see I saw a 30 fps jump with the 2080 Ti. Both cards were overclocked (MSI was running at a 1950 Mhz and the 2080 Ti was at 2115 MHz). Do I think the 2080 Ti worth the money for the performance increase, no. Presently I am dealing with a hum / noise from the 2080 Ti and this appears to be a common noise among the Hybrid cards (pump noise). While I can not hear the noise while gaming due to 5.1 speakers but when I am not gaming the noise is some what irritating since my 1080 Ti Hybrid is silent.

benchmark_20190604_09h10m.png benchmark_20190604_09h10m.png benchmark_20190604_07h32m.png

6. somebrains

somebrains Gawd

I had a 1080ti hybrid, sold it and owned a 2080ti briefly, sold that after it was RMAd,a back on a basic 1080ti I aio cooled.

My use case is low quality settings playing FPS.
    I didn't see Earth shattering difference unless I was 180-200fps highs and lows we're tighter.
    Every other situation I'm on the frame limiter.
    I have used the following monitors with the 3 gpus: 27" Acer1080p 240hz, Dell 2716dgr, Acer X34.

I'll just wait a while before my next GPU upgrade bc as long as I can keep a 1080ti boosting under 55c people think I'm cheating using a pistol. Most games theres a movement bonus and sometimes a damage boost for headshots.

Really high framerates can make an ar seem like a sniper rifle bc I'm just on you if I can see you.

7. p3sty

p3sty 2[H]4U

Well I just upgraded. A few weeks ago from a 1080 ti founders and went to EVGA 2080ti xtc and I’m like ......meh. But of course those bastards at Nvidia have a “newer” card coming out . Hope pricing not insane but it will be because of all of us suckers in this thread.

8. Wag

Wag Gawd

Well, at least you bought an Evga so you'll probably have an upgrade path. I bought a EVGA black so it's not likely I'll have an upgrade option.

9. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

There is no official word as to Amd supports ray tracing through hardware. They might release an update though.
    Apart from ray tracing it does not seem one should upgrade. There are limited titles for RTX and still ray tracing isnt upto its mark. You will lose frames (alot of them) while ray tracing on. On the other hand Nvidia’s 1080ti still kicks ash..

I would say wait. Lets see what they both have to offer.

10. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

I will wait to see what Nvidia has next, Super may budge me a little but next generation is when I will probably byte more with Nvidia. I have 2x 1080 Ti's mining 24/7 now and I game on a Vega 64 LC and totally contented with the performance. Maybe my use case is just not there anymore.

11. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I fixed that for you. It was bugging me. Honestly, it really depends on what resolution your using and what games you are playing. My old Titan X is on the test bench and handles the modern games pretty well at 1080P. There is very little I think would cause a problem for that card at those resolutions. At 2560x1440 or higher its showing its age. I've played on Vega 64 cards at resolutions up to 3440x1440 and had good experiences with it. I know it would struggle at 4K, which is my chosen resolution so it isn't the card for me, but if you aren't at 4K, you can get by with a lot less card than the RTX 2080 Ti.

12. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

The Vega LC is on FreeSync II 144hz 1440p HDR and a 3440x1440p 60hz non HDR monitor, so the performance is relatively good. The 1080Ti's are on a FreeSync 4K monitor. So for the resolution the Vega does very good for my taste at those resolutions. The VivePro is hooked up to the 1080 Tis where it performs flawlessly plus any 4K gaming that SLI works well exceeds 60fps maxed out at 4K for the most part. There is no pressing need to upgrade for performance sakes or IQ other than RTX for me at this time. Sadly mining would be the biggest reason to buy current generation GPU's.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  13. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Do it. Navi isn't really going to be relevant to you're thinking of upgrading from a 1080 Ti.

The one reservation I might have is that nVidia is supposedly planning on a series of "Super" 20 series cards that have more cores than the current lineup, so there's an outside chance that they'll be rolling out a 2080 Ti++, although the rumor mill seems to indicate it doesn't include the 2080 Ti.

So, if you're cool with waiting for a few weeks, maybe wait, if you'd be really upset by that. Otherwise go ahead and upgrade if you want to. I upgraded to a 2080 Ti from a 1080 Ti, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it actually is. I needed the extra performance for Elite Dangerous (VR), but it also really made 4K gaming a pleasant experience, versus my 1080 Ti, which struggled with a lot of games.

14. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

keep the 1080ti and wait for the next-gen RTX cards...

15. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Unless that upgrade comes very soon, this upgrade is a colossal waste because there will be cards that will blow away the 2080Ti @ 4k before long.

Nenu likes this.
  16. Auer

Auer Gawd

And then another one will blow that one away after that, and after that, and after that....

Solution: Never buy anything, ever.

Niner21 and XoR_ like this.
  17. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

The timing of what he said makes sense.
    Arguing over this has no value especially with child humour.

{NG}Fidel and RamonGTP like this.
  18. Auer

Auer Gawd

?

"There will be cards that will blow away the 2080Ti @ 4k before long."

Pretty vague.

Buy what you need when you need it.

No arguing, no "child humor".

19. XoR_

XoR_ Gawd

Amen

20. Incramus

Incramus Limp Gawd

I made the same upgrade (but I game at 3440x1440) My thoughts: Was it WORTH it? Probably not, I got on average a 20-25% jump in performance but at 75% higher cost :( I was able to get $600 back on my 1080Ti have the FB market...

polonyc2 and Nenu like this.
  21. RamonGTP

Talk about going over your head and the head of those who "liked" your post. If you already had a gpu by your own admission isn't having a problem maxing out your games on your current display, it makes very little sense to drop a grand or more on a new GPU now for a display upgrade that MAY happen in the future. It makes far more sense to upgrade your card at the time you upgrade your display.

Solution: If your reason for upgrading your video card is for a display you don't actually have, wait until you buy or about to buy it. Good chance you'll have better options for GPU

22. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

Nothing went over my head here. I wanted to upgrade so I did. Took me a long time to pull the trigger, but I have no regrets here. I in fact did upgrade my display pretty close to when I got my new card also. I appreciate everyone's opinion here including yours.

23. RamonGTP

If you think what I said equates to never buy anything it most certainly went over your head. Nothing wrong with upgrading because you want to. I was specifically referring to the monitor future proofing aspect of the decision.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  24. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

Just because I liked his comment didn't mean I totally agreed with it 100%. I knew what you meant.

25. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

if you were gaming at 4K then it would be more worth it but at 1440p the value isn't there...it'll be better but not worth the price tag

Incramus likes this.