Your scariest moment of gaming?

There was that ghost-filled hotel in Vampire:Masquerade that was making me feel uneasy, when I was doing quests in it.

Also, I was scared when playing 7th Guest, when I was young. Even now, when I play it on iPad, it still seems scary :)

There was that ghost-filled hotel in Vampire:Masquerade that was making me feel uneasy, when I was doing quests in it.

Also, I was scared when playing 7th Guest, when I was young. Even now, when I play it on iPad, it still seems scary :)

Try Phantasmagoria ... that game was a little creepy in its day (similar to 7th Guest) :)

I remember the hotel, in the beginning. Didn't know what to expect, but that was pretty freaky too. Not scary of course, but uneasy for sure.

STALKER: SoC - the worst was when I went into one of the labs for the first time & discovered that there's invisible mutants trying to bash your brains in with randomly flying objects

FEAR 1 & 2 - the apparitions definitely upped the "fear factor" whenever I wasn't expecting them to appear & disappear.

Vampire: Masquerade - the haunted hotel, as mentioned by others, definitely gave me the creeps first playthrough

Silly one here, Logging into EVerquest when it launched in 99 and i fell off the dock into the water and panicking that something horrible was gonna attack or kill me.( i had a big fear of underwater in games, it still give me the willys to this day)

The 1st resident evil was the first time a game scared me. I was young and that shit was real stress. Even playing with friends it was terrifying.

Since then, dead space. That game is excellent and took me months to play all the way through. Dead space 2 had its scary parts, but the origional is a must-play.

Metro 2033 also had me chilled a number of times.

Not much else comes to mind.
I play the ARMA2 wasteland mod and I usually end up in the solid dark crawling through the forest around an enemy base...pop out, kill someone then hide as they try to find me. It never used to be an issue before, but I get so stressed, my heart beats so fast and my pulse is so strong that I can't hear the game over my pulse. Movements get erratic and I make odd decisions. If I die or escape I often need to stand up and walk around to get my heart back down. My friends on comms know when this happens because I start talking gibberish.
Last night for example me and my friends were attacking an enemy convoy near their base and when my buddies got killed and there was atleast 8 enemies all converging on me. Even though I was up on a hill with the enviromental terrain advantage and an SPR rifle, I only got 2 before I suffered what I think was a panic attack. This shit never used to happen, I just freaked the fuck out, started running through the trees...I literally went blurry in the eyes. After what seemed like 10min I regrouped and hunted and killed the guys who were still looking for me totally calm, but for some reason that situation just blew my fucking mind. It could be that I become invested In my player...I don't die much, I play very cautious and it usually rewards me with an abundance of kills. Growing up fuckig changes u bro. I feel like a shellshocked vet from videogames.

Last edited:
The 1st resident evil was the first time a game scared me. I was young and that shit was real stress. Even playing with friends it was terrifying.

Since then, dead space. That game is excellent and took me months to play all the way through. Dead space 2 had its scary parts, but the origional is a must-play.

I play the ARMA2 wasteland mod and I usually end up in the solid dark crawling through the forest around an enemy base...pop out, kill someone then hide as they try to find me. It never used to be an issue before, but I get so stressed, my heart beats so fast and my pulse is so strong that I can't hear the game over my pulse. Movements get erratic and I make odd decisions. If I die or escape I often need to stand up and walk around to get my heart back down. My friends on comms know when this happens because I start talking gibberish.

That last one...you sure are an odd fellow. :cool:

Silly one here, Logging into EVerquest when it launched in 99 and i fell off the dock into the water and panicking that something horrible was gonna attack or kill me.( i had a big fear of underwater in games, it still give me the willys to this day)

There are sharks in most ocean zones. ;)

Last night for example me and my friends were attacking an enemy convoy near their base and when my buddies got killed and there was atleast 8 enemies all converging on me. Even though I was up on a hill with the enviromental terrain advantage and an SPR rifle, I only got 2 before I suffered what I think was a panic attack. This shit never used to happen, I just freaked the fuck out, started running through the trees...I literally went blurry in the eyes. After what seemed like 10min I regrouped and hunted and killed the guys who were still looking for me totally calm, but for some reason that situation just blew my fucking mind. It could be that I become invested In my player...I don't die much, I play very cautious and it usually rewards me with an abundance of kills. Growing up fuckig changes u bro. I feel like a shellshocked vet from videogames.

That last one...you sure are an odd fellow. :cool:

That reminded me of, "Don't re-enact Platoon with Charlie Sheen!" :cool:

I will admit to after playing too many war-style video games, when I was around 13, getting 75% of the way to diving face first into the dirt when a helicopter came zooming over a ridge one time.

Didn't someone just post something about Last Half of Darkness? I swear it was just here...Where on earth did it go...

I can honestly say I have been "scared" of games or movies since I was like 6. I will say there were two times in a game that I was taken off guard and I jumped though.
One level in Quake 1 when you were at the end of some level, don't remember which, it went dark and quiet. Then all of a sudden, the lights came on and you were surrounded by like 4 big Shamblers. The other is in the quote below.
the dogs through the window in Resident Evil. I was not prepared for that.

*edit- went back through the previous two pages and wanted to make a note. The first AvP had THE best Aliens. I was never scared but I can't tell you how many people I would freak out and make them jump in their chairs when I played as the Alien. Never had a problem controlling them but people found walking upside down on ceilings hard.
I can't seem to remember the ladder scene in FEAR but I do remember the corridor where you go into a small section to get some power ups and notice her shadow against the wall just to turn and see nothing. My wife was watching from over my shoulder and it did freak her out, lol.

Last edited:
The first half or so of Amnesia : Dark Descent, playing in a dark room with head phones seriously raised my blood pressure... The second half of the game not so much.

I'd have to say the scene in Bioshock where you're crouched down over something and then this shadow appears from behind. It takes a second to remember that you don't have a shadow, right when it starts attacking you

It never used to be an issue before, but I get so stressed, my heart beats so fast and my pulse is so strong that I can't hear the game over my pulse. Movements get erratic and I make odd decisions. If I die or escape I often need to stand up and walk around to get my heart back down. My friends on comms know when this happens because I start talking gibberish.
I get this when I play MMRPG's with PVP. I have since then just stopped playing them. I know deep down I have nothing to loose but I think my mind goes back to the days when open pvp in UO, if someone killed you then, they got everything on your char. So all was lost. So now I can not do pvp in RPG's. This does not bother me in FPS's though, not sure why. I guess because of the FPS's I play, armor and health is always around a corner or something.

first time playin F.E.A.R. there was quite a few moments. Remember the part where you go down the hallway and look back and there's the girl coming ever so slowly towards you and your like wtf is that! and you start shooting but nothing happens but she keeps coming closer. you try to escape and open the door at the end of the hallway but it doesnt work and she's still coming

Doom E1M8... I think I first played this on SNES actually, but yeah, seeing the world open up and those Barons of Hell... I felt something then.

Also the first time encountering a Shambler in Quake. I did find them endearing but damn I ran in a panic.

Since then... no, nothing... I must be completely desensitized from watching tons of horror/slasher movies in kindergarden (the green monster that comes up in the toilet freaked me out the most back then). No game or film has scared me since. I feel almost nothing actually. System Shock 2 was absolutely walk-in-the-park for me. It was fun, I guess. I also kind of enjoyed Eternal Darkness, but yeah, totally not scary :( maybe I'm depressed?

I'll play FEAR eventually, but I think that girl is cute, reminds me of a crush I once had. Maybe she just needs a friend, you guys ever think of that? Same goes for other baddies... LOVE CONQUERS ALL!

FEAR, Deadspace, Doom3, Metro2033, Stalker, All these games had their scary moments which were done very well.

But only two games ever had me genuinely afraid. Those two games are AVP and AVP2 from 1999 and 2001. For me, no other game has come close to the nerve wracking dread that you get from playing as the marine in either of those games. Playing in a dark room with headphones on was a really, really tense and fearful experience.

You find yourself reacting exactly like they do in the movies. You are hearing the "beep, beep, beep" of the movement sensor, but you cant see anything!! Just the steady beep of the movement sensor as death gets closer and closer. You are saying where the fuck are they?? and you start shooting in random directions. Ahh, classic times.

To the OP, think I would have died of a heart attack if anyone or anything had jumped out at me while playing that game :)

Oh I forgot to mention

Metro 2033 and those damned Librarians!

Geesh! Those things give me the creeps!

first time playin F.E.A.R. there was quite a few moments. Remember the part where you go down the hallway and look back and there's the girl coming ever so slowly towards you and your like wtf is that! and you start shooting but nothing happens but she keeps coming closer. you try to escape and open the door at the end of the hallway but it doesnt work and she's still coming

My favorite part in the first FEAR was when you see the bald guy from the beginning creeping around the corner. I shit my pants. Was awesome.

I agree many bricks were shat when I played resident evil 1 on the ps1 back in the day. That first window where the dogs jump thru at you filled my pants up completely....also fighting the tyrant for the first time was terrifying...totally freaky game!

I also agree with dead space 1. That was an awesome game with many freak you out moments...I just got so annoyed with the constant go back and fourth objectives...I was all like bitch your crazy if you think im gonna go back into that scarry ass section of ship for a fucking battery!

I think my scarries moment in gaming though was when Eurogamer gave farcry 3 a perfect ten score and tons of tards defended that score on the forums...made me sad for gaming and what its current state has become :mad:

Tomb Raider 2. I rented it when I was 11 or 12 and didn't manage to play more than an hour or two. It was the damn butler. His grunts and the sound of rattling tea cups. It gave me nightmares for a month, seriously. I would try to get away from him, but no matter how slow he walks and how far I'd run, I would turn around and he would always be there, shambling towards me. Its like a 1990's Slenderman. They could have just put notes around the mansion that you need to collect, take out all the regular missions, and call it a survival horror game.

Tomb Raider 2. I rented it when I was 11 or 12 and didn't manage to play more than an hour or two. It was the damn butler. His grunts and the sound of rattling tea cups. It gave me nightmares for a month, seriously. I would try to get away from him, but no matter how slow he walks and how far I'd run, I would turn around and he would always be there, shambling towards me. Its like a 1990's Slenderman. They could have just put notes around the mansion that you need to collect, take out all the regular missions, and call it a survival horror game.

lol, so frigging true

when i realized i had let myself become hypnotized with the boring and tedious gameplay called diablo 3. i was shocked i was doing that pathetic treadmill for so long.

doom 1: creepy sound effects and monsters.Very moody and dark atmosphere.
doom 3: the lighting was awesome and monsters was very well done for scare factor. Especially that one level that was like 1/3 of the way through that had a lot of whispers/freaky sounds.
Resident evil 1: those dogs jumping through the windows and other areas was set up for a nice scare factor.

Left for dead series. Not general jumpy scare but it does have a moment or two that can make you jump.

Off the top of my head, the first time I encountered the poisonous zombie in Ravenholm in Half-Life 2. Fuck those things, they creep the shit out of me flinging those poisonous head crabs at you.

The underground X labs in STALKER:SoC. Especially the one where you first encounter a Poltergeist .

Amnesia is the only game where I've genuinely just wanted to stop playing after short periods of time because of how nerve wracking it becomes.

Dead Space and F.E.A.R had their moments, but they are not as cerebral; the shock value wears out quickly.

Putting in a good sound card (attached to my 5.1 speakers) made my scariest moment. After installing the card and then playing a game (forget which) I heard a squeak behind me and it scared the heck out of me, I jumped. It turned out to be a mouse in the game behind me. :eek:

My scariest moment in gaming was when I played my first terrible PC port...I've been terrified ever since.

The day people still went out in droves and bought MW3 even though it was widely known to be made by a group of map pack makers.

I don't really play scary games so for me it was playing L4D for the first time. For the people I was playing it with it was their first time too, and we didn't know what to expect. I remember being to scared to explore. Now everyone is used to the game, so there's nothing to be scared of, but that 1st time playing it was very entertaining.

Amnesia. First time I saw a baddie. I still need to finish that game... Can only play like 15 min before my nerves are shot.

really? i've had it forever but have played 30 minutes of it. saw one baddy in a room with big wooden filling barrels but could never figure out how to get out of there so i quit. granted i didn't give it enough time but is the entire game slow or just the beginning?

really want to give it another try.

This is when I was younger (12 years old in 1988) and playing Ultima V: Warrior of Destiny and when down the whirlpool to the underworld. Had to navigate by following the journal in the printed manual Not so much a quick, jabbing, jumping scary moment, but a very long and drawn out intensity.

Man I love the Ultima Games. Fuck you EA for ruining Origin and the Ultima franchise and for pushing out the door one of the most visionary, creative, and genius computer game creators to walk the face of the Earth. Richard Garriott, I will always be a life-long fan.

Lost all my game saves in Fallout 3 and had to start over.

Ha ha! I've had some of those horrifying moments as well.

I'd say the first Silent Hill, basically most of the game. Nothing touches the inhumanly unnerving atmosphere of the first Silent Hill, and when walking through rotted and rusted corridors, unnerving soundscapes assaulting your senses, then turning a corner not knowing if or what you'll be confronting... nothing touches what was done with that game.

My dad decided to go to block buster and rent a PS1 (remember those days?!) and we got rayman and resident evil. i was 7 (now 23). My dad deiced to start on resident evil since i was used to doom. demons... zombies... whats the difference right? Once he walked though the kitchen and that cut scene of the zombie eating the maid... holy shit i was sleeping with my parents the next 3-4 nights. I will never forget that cut scene and its become one of the most memorable gaming moments, and I dont remember shit when i was pre-12 lol.

a More recent one which i was blown away by was last night. I bought the www.humblebundle.com THQ pack. I've heard alot about metro 2033 but always over looked it. The game takes "less is more" to a whole new level. I got to the dead city last night and there's no music. just you breathing though your mask (using your speakers wasnt as intense and a pair of headphones) and the horrors that may lie around the next turn. The breathing is the creepiest and most tense sound effect ever.

Last edited:
half life 2.... playing thru ravenholmes for the first time. Lightning/wind storm outside . Window opened... the blinds were torn from the walls cause of the wind ... fell on me from behind and there was a power outtage at the same moment.

I peed my pants :D

Back