Your scariest moment of gaming?

Thief 3? I think it was 3. Shalebridge Cradle. I play that game every year with the intention of finishing. I get to the Cradle, get parts of it done, and can't finish. It's mentally taxing especially in a dark home theater with a 7.2 surround system and 110 inch wide screen. It's also physically taxing just sneaking around in the dark in that game cause it's scary as f- in that part of the game.

Definitely the Thief series. Although I never finished any of them. I think I played Thief 1 the most though.

Those games are stressful. That's why I stopped playing them.

...and the dogs through the window in Resident Evil. I was not prepared for that.

This is it for me. Can't remember how old I was (10 to 13ish) but playing RE for the first time, locked in my room, lights off, and that was it. The next scariest moment was my brother knocked on my door a few minutes after that... Man that game makes you jumpy.

Left 4 Dead. SO MANY bad (good) times with that one. Good lord.

1st Fear. When you are climbing the ladder, and the girl is waiting for you at the top.

I just turned the game off.

Playing STALKER with the lights off. I'm in the Wild Territory, it's at night, and I'm playing cat and mouse with a bloodsucker. There are no mercenaries or bandits to speak of, so it's just him and me and the baying of dogs in the distance. Just as I think I have the bloodsucker pinned, I realize I have miscalculated the situation. There is not one, but two bloodsuckers, and the second comes at me from the side. I barely survive as I climb a ladder for the safety of the rooftops, but my armor is shredded. I manage to take out that first bloodsucker before it gets to cover, then try to listen for the second one. It's quiet, so I can easily locate him by his breathing. He's around the corner of a nearby building, so I ready my gun, jump down to ground level, and turn that corner ready to plug him at a moment's notice. Then the largest fucking pack of dogs and pseudodogs I've ever seen jump me and tear me to shreds, and I fall out of my computer chair in shock. :)

The only game that has made me jump was Fear when those damn invisible ninjas broke through the ceiling in the office building.

In no particular order:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
F.E.A.R.
System Shock 2

I'm with the OP...AvP games always freaked me out.

Looking forward to getting freaked out by the new one! :D

Condemned for sure.
The first time playing through you have no idea what kind of enemies you're facing, your view distance is always intentionally limited, and the surround sound effects might be the best of all-time.
The mall area with the mannequins that are sometimes alive, and being trapped in that final basement oh man...

I like to think of myself as someone who is pretty difficult to scare. I've played a lot of the popular 'horror' games and didn't really find myself particularly frightened.. until recently.

I finished playing Metro 2033 a few weeks ago and I have to say, that had to have been the most genuinely frightening and gripping gaming experience I've had since Realms of the Haunting. I had this constant fear of death hanging over me every time I ventured out into those tunnels and the surface was just plain terrifying, I wanted to run for my life, but in reality there was no escape.

F.E.A.R. for me. My wife was was out one night and the kids were in bed. I turned off all lights and cranked up the sound on my headphones. After about an hour I couldn't take it anymore and had to turn the lights on. lol What got me was the whispers. hahaha

F.E.A.R. for me. My wife was was out one night and the kids were in bed. I turned off all lights and cranked up the sound on my headphones. After about an hour I couldn't take it anymore and had to turn the lights on. lol What got me was the whispers. hahaha

i quit in the beginning when you are climbing up the ladder and you get to the top and the little girl is there waiting for you.

turned it off and slept with the lights on for a week

I honestly don't know.... there are quite a few with spookyness.

When I was a kid and Resident evil came out... the first Zombie scared the living daylights out of me.

Silent Hill had scary parts... especially that loveable yet damnable radio noise.

However, the most well done I thought, probably VtM Bloodlines' Hotel area.

Resident Evil 1. The Hallway scene.

Playing it at a friends house who had just got the PS1 when it came out. Playing it in the dark, my friend set me up and let me play it alone. Needless to say I dropped the controller and the dog ate me. :(

I feel like I need to set this up a bit. The first thing that scared the heck out of me was when I was playing Madden 06 on the 360, it was late and I was kinda tired. So as I am playing, my awesome tube tv decides to die and this thing shot some sparks out and then started smoking. So that surprised the hell out of me.

Second was playing the first Gears of War. You need to take into consideration that until the 360 all I did was play racing games, none of this shooting violence stuff. When you come across the first encounter with the Berserker, I needed to leave the room. Having something chase me just scares the hell out of me.

I feel like I need to set this up a bit. The first thing that scared the heck out of me was when I was playing Madden 06 on the 360, it was late and I was kinda tired. So as I am playing, my awesome tube tv decides to die and this thing shot some sparks out and then started smoking. So that surprised the hell out of me.

Second was playing the first Gears of War. You need to take into consideration that until the 360 all I did was play racing games, none of this shooting violence stuff. When you come across the first encounter with the Berserker, I needed to leave the room. Having something chase me just scares the hell out of me.

What? Lol is this some kind of troll post?

The first time I got picked up by a barnacle in Half-Life I jumped out of my chair. Granted I was playing at about three in the morning on no sleep and tons of caffeine, so that probably helped.

Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid talking about the other games I played was pretty good. Don't know if it really scared me, but it did startle me for a bit.

Thief 3? I think it was 3. Shalebridge Cradle. I play that game every year with the intention of finishing. I get to the Cradle, get parts of it done, and can't finish. It's mentally taxing especially in a dark home theater with a 7.2 surround system and 110 inch wide screen. It's also physically taxing just sneaking around in the dark in that game cause it's scary as f- in that part of the game.

Another vote for Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief 3. Most intense level ever, and the first half of it there aren't even any enemies (which you don't know at the time b/c of all the ambient sounds).

Amnesia. First time I saw a baddie. I still need to finish that game... Can only play like 15 min before my nerves are shot.

I think the only game to actually creep me out to a degree was Shadowgate. Not really a scary game by any means, but that music and atmosphere was just creepy and the music would stay stick in my head even when i was trying to sleep at night, haha. Plus I was probably only 5 years old playing it too, haha.

Oh how could I forget Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on Gamecube? That game had many scary, startling and crazy moments.

I can not remember the name of the game but it came out around the same time as Vampire The Masquerade (I think) and it came with a color coded stripe (actually it was gray scale) that you turned off all of the lights in the room and calibrated your monitor the the stripe and then played the game. That game was awesome.

I can not remember the name of the game but it came out around the same time as Vampire The Masquerade (I think) and it came with a color coded stripe (actually it was gray scale) that you turned off all of the lights in the room and calibrated your monitor the the stripe and then played the game. That game was awesome.

A lot of games actually do that heh.

MW-AP915_micros_20120229131340_ME.jpg

chilling :D

Wasn't a game, but after watching a scary movie I walk back upstairs and my gf's (of the time) son's toy phone starts ringing a fucked up ring, like it was broken, as soon as we walk into the bedroom. Creeped me the fuck out.

when I was a kid Friday the 13th on the NES would scare the crap out of me when Jason would pop out....But that was pop out scare not creepy scary.

Silent hill 2 has the creepy scary like a homeless man looking into your window while your sleeping.

Nosferatu wrath of Malahi,

You could walk the same area 10times and a monster body who was there all the in the corner, will all of sudden jump at You

I want to say it was probably System Shock 2, that game genuinely scared me.

Back