your preference on archiving your dvd's

xTABx7

Gawd
What do you guys do when backing up your movies. do you rip them all in full? or do you rip and shrink them so they can be burned? or maybe xvid or divx?. I'm trying to figure out what the best solution for me is going to be as I start to create my media library.

if i "backup" my DVD's i just strip enough content out of them like french/spanish/portugese subtitles etc so that they will fit on another DVD. As for actual ripping to the HDD I will not do that unless A) i am going on a long trip, or B) come into a lot of money so I can actually have enough HDD space to rip my movies.

I rip just the movie and then encode it into an Xvid file at 95% quality settings. If I wanted all of the extras I could just pop the actually disc out of it's case.

xvid + ac3 here. Takes up about 1.4 gigs a movie. long ones (3hour+) step up to 2.1 or even 2.8 gigs. Kids stuff I do at xvid + mp3, normally 700MB. Gknot makse it pretty easy to do, autoGK would be even easier I guess but I'll stick with what I know. I prefer having the moveis on a HD than burning a dvd so i don't have to find it in a stack of discs. I just decide on a movie in meedio and *presto* it's started, no menus and no wait.

If you get a 300gb drive for $90, it works out at about 30-40 cents per movie (and you can reuse the space if you want to delete some crap.) Decent quality dvd media is still 20-30 cents per disc so it doesn't really cost more, and I don't have to wait 15 mins to burn the disc.

I tried x264 but don't really think it's there quite yet. maybe in a year or so I'll switch fom xvid to it once it's more widely supported.

CrimandEvil said:
I rip just the movie and then encode it into an Xvid file at 95% quality settings. If I wanted all of the extras I could just pop the actually disc out of it's case.

I'd do that too, but sometimes I just want to watch the extras instead of the actual movie.

I strip away everything except the AC3 audio and the English subtitles then DVD Shrink it to 3-4G

how is the quality of in turn burning xvid back onto a dvd? recommended software?

I also forgot to mention I would prefer to be able to watch these on my high def tv which is why i liked the idea of ripping them so i could use purevideo to upscale.

any movies I do archive, I rip in full - a complete rip.

I've seen what upconverting on a PC can do, but I prefer my upconvert DVD player more.

Back