Your Personal Top 5 Ranking of Best MMOs You've Played

1. SWG (pre cu)
2. WOW (before the 1st expanion)
3. WAR ( had a blast until land of the dead came out then went down hill)
4.AOC (was fun for the first couple of months but bugs really killed it)
5. Tabula Rasa ( had alot of potential)

Still to early to tell but rift is slowly climing the charts.

Honarable mentions: Guild Wars, FF14 (if they can get some endgame content)

1- Wow
2- Wow Cataclysm
3- Wow Burning Crusades
4- Star Wars Galaxies; Jump to Lightspeed (I wouldn't even play this game if it weren't for this expansion).
5- Ultima Online
6- Warhammer
10- Wow Wrath of the Lich King (terrible expansion.. hated it).

1) EQ1 - It was too ground-breaking, and for anybody who was playing it at the time it was a truly unique experience.

2) EVE - I refuse to play it anymore, but I still think it's probably the best MMO on the market.

3) City of Heroes - But probably because I'm an alt-o-holic so making one-off characters and running around with them was half the fun.

4) Planetside - Before the expansion packs.

5) Can't think of five =P

WOW - Classic until earlier this month, since Cataclysm I've just kinda... stopped playing. Had 6 80s, 4 70s, 2 60s, have 2 85s, just dont care anymore.
LOTRO - I really enjoy this game if I'm in the mood for it. It feels... good. The atmosphere is pretty damn strong.
Age of Conan - Ehh.... I wish it was out several years earlier, I lost my taste for completely random PVP games. Absolutely beautiful, fun to play, and terrifying. Damn near everyone I saw was either much higher level and stomped me about, or same level and avoided me as much as I did them. If I wanted a wonderful PVP experience, this would be it. It's a brutal world.

Havent played any others worth mentioning or remembering.

1. Planetside pre-biffer
2. EVE

Don't think there have been any other MMO's that would be acceptable to me...

Planetside was really awesome before the BFR's... Not so much after that. Had a lot of fun in planetside doing just about everything you can imagine and getting CR5/BR20+ on markov nc, markov tr, emerald vs.

EVE also has seen a lot of decline in terms of gameplay experience for lowsec pirates such as myself. Most of the changes to the game have had the express purpose of making combat less likely to occur. At least they managed to keep most of their playerbase interested and only scared away all my friends :p

1. EQ1 - dated now but when it hit and basically until WoW came out...damn
2. EQ2 - bad launch, fixed to become an amazing game, could kill wow if anyone actually cared about it
3. WoW - really do i need to say anything else about, the care and craft put into the game is stunning, even if the community leaves things to be desired.
4. Atlantica - yeah its a freebie asian game, but come on, its a damn turn-based MMO, i grew up on those games and still love them.
5. LOTRO - was a tossup between this, ultima, AOC, and FFXI for me, LOTRO feels the most like another world i think, The only thing that hurt it to me was i can only help so many farmers with menial tasks before i drift.

I would like to make an honorable mention for Vanguard...yes its bombed now and hardly gets any love or support...but the potential of that game was huge... It could have been and could still be with the right team...damn amazing, it's all there just not utilized properly.

Should have left it at that. I cant think of 2 games that are more different. Besides the core basic elements of the MMORPG genre they are complete opposites.

Most people thought WoW was just like a reskinned and more polished EQ when it was released. What is so different? I never played WoW much, but it seemed quite similar, at least early on.

1) Ultima Online - I played from 1997-2000, but its not the game to play today. Everyone who played during that time knows that game was sweet :D
2) DAoC - 3-way RvR that was just plain fun, not the game to play today
3) WoW - Fun to lead raids and figure out mechanics. Annoying to lead raids and deal with people. Too easy to level solo and the game becomes all about raids.
4) LOTRO - Good community and fun playing with people. Not too much end game content. Still a fun game to play though and it is F2P now.
5) Guild Wars - Basically a pvp game, but was pretty fun going through the rest of the game.

Currently interested in Rift.

1) WoW - Burning Crusade (best raid experience and my guild was among the top for Sunwell progression on US servers)
2) WoW Classic (fantastic game play, challenging content. my guild leader cried the first time we killed Ragnaros, hehehehehe)
3) Everquest (from shortly after launch for a few years)
4) EVE Online (still playing)
5) AoC (only for the first 6 weeks or so. My clan really had a blast building our city)

Worst experiences...

-1) Aion (awesome game ruined by "Korean MMO Syndrome")
-2) WoW Lich King (hated the "lets make everything super easy with an optional hard mode" shit)
-3) Trying to be a completionist in LOTRO (spend 45 minutes building a group to do one elite quest. Go pound on elite mobs for over an hour to complete the quest. Help other people in the group for a while. Turn quest in, get another quest for the exact same area you just left. Spend another 30 minutes getting group, do that quest, turn that in, get ANOTHER quest for the same area *smash face on desk* FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU)
-4) WAR (after the first few weeks when the population thinned and the game was shit)
-999,999,999) WoW Cataclysm (finally killed the game for me)

1. Everquest- ruins of kunark and scars of velious- hard core, world simulator
2. asheron's call- slightly less hard core world simulator
3.UO- first year, when it was almost a pure simulator, no rules, anything goes pvp

Eternal grind, large raids for PvE? More similar than say, WoW and EVE or UO imo.

I didn't play a lot of EQ though so there's probably a lot of dissimilar things too, but I'd put them in the same category of MMO.

lol. WoW is a game first, world second. EQ in the begining, was a world first and a game second, and it made no appologies. I don't think there ever again will be an mmo that will take itself as seriously as EQ again. The punishment for failure was insane, failing a vox raid, was hell. Travelliing was an accomplishment itself. But most of all, in the begining, the game had the absolute best community. the beauty of the player set up auctions every weekend in west commonlands, was amazing. casters selling binds and sows. yelling about trains. It's the one time, the developers should not have listened to the player base and made the game more conveinent.

DAoC
LoTRO
Anarchy Online
Shadowbane
DC Universe

DAoC is still my all time favorite MMO.

Worse MMO's:
AoC
EvE
Lineage 2
FFXI
SWG

Most people thought WoW was just like a reskinned and more polished EQ when it was released. What is so different? I never played WoW much, but it seemed quite similar, at least early on.

Nobody who actually played both for any real amount of time ever thought that. Dont be ridiculous and make up nonsense.

Notice both of you saying this have admitted to barely playing one of the games.

There are similarities but its only at the core and its the same things that basically every MMORPG has in common. Besides that EQ and WoW are complete opposites in just about every way.

EQ = limited number of spells can be memmed. WoW = have access to every spell you have any time you want.
EQ = Very slow grind to level cap. WoW = One of the fastest MMOs on the planet to hit cap in.
EQ = Punishing corpse runs. WoW = nice safe run back to corpse and a tiny gold charge for durability.
EQ = Set up a camp with a group and grind nonstop for hours to level efficiently. WoW = Go out alone and quest to level efficiently.
EQ = Sit for long periods of time to regain health/mana. WoW = Eat/drink or use a pot and regain health/mana very quickly.
EQ = One REAL tank one REAL healer, others can manage but its never optimal. WoW = Every class is a swiss army knife of possibilities, can manage any content with any tank or healer.

Really i can go on all day.

Graphics style, gameplay style all very very different. Once you get past the similarities of turn auto attack on and hit buttons these 2 have very little in common at all.

Everything about EQ was hardcore and punishing while WoW was super casual (Yes even Vanilla). Both are very good games but besides being MMOs with an auto attack theres nothing similar here.

Nobody who actually played both for any real amount of time ever thought that. Dont be ridiculous and make up nonsense.

Notice both of you saying this have admitted to barely playing one of the games.

There are similarities but its only at the core and its the same things that basically every MMORPG has in common. Besides that EQ and WoW are complete opposites in just about every way.

EQ = limited number of spells can be memmed. WoW = have access to every spell you have any time you want.
EQ = Very slow grind to level cap. WoW = One of the fastest MMOs on the planet to hit cap in.
EQ = Punishing corpse runs. WoW = nice safe run back to corpse and a tiny gold charge for durability.
EQ = Set up a camp with a group and grind nonstop for hours to level efficiently. WoW = Go out alone and quest to level efficiently.
EQ = Sit for long periods of time to regain health/mana. WoW = Eat/drink or use a pot and regain health/mana very quickly.
EQ = One REAL tank one REAL healer, others can manage but its never optimal. WoW = Every class is a swiss army knife of possibilities, can manage any content with any tank or healer.

Really i can go on all day.

Graphics style, gameplay style all very very different. Once you get past the similarities of turn auto attack on and hit buttons these 2 have very little in common at all.

Everything about EQ was hardcore and punishing while WoW was super casual (Yes even Vanilla). Both are very good games but besides being MMOs with an auto attack theres nothing similar here.

Damn, you said it all. EQ was hard and had rewards for good gameplay, nowadays you can do anything and get it all back without any work. Just not worth it anymore :(

DAoC ranks up top for me.

WoW has turned into a joke for me. It actually doesn't excited me. The quests are now basically handed to you. You're walked through them.

The cool thing about DAoC is you could honestly go out and get lost and farm by yourself for hours and never see anyone. I loved that. I also loved the RVR.

I had a Skald back in the day named Cloro, she was bad ass.

1. DaoC: This one I played the most out of any and had the most fun. RvR with a large population was very addictive. When this game was released it was like that.

2. Wow: The next game I capped-had a lot of fun leveling to the cap at launch-most fun in fact of any MMO game. Had less fun at the cap but I prolly leveled to fast. At launch was a blast-and the open world PvP back then I loved. Eventually I got bored and tried some warp thing towards the end of 2005 and got banned. O well lol. In summer 06 I capped a new toon and had fun once again.

3. Lotro: good looking game, loads of quests and OK PvP: Now re-invented as a FTP: FTP has caused nothing less than a population explosion for this game. I have been playing on one of the new servers and its well populated. The lore is 2nd to none and there is so so much to do in this game. The population is overall more mature but the free low level areas are turning into barrens chat to some degree.

4. Everquest: Played this from Sept of 1999 to January 2000-Um what can I say? I was never more addicted to anything in my life. Not pleasant to look back on so I will leave it there. They must have done something right for me to get so addicted so it has to make the list. lol

5. This one is hard since those 4 are the only ones that "hooked" me. I played many many others. Eve came the closest to getting me in but in the end it didn't catch on. I feel I have wasted so much money trying to get a game to this spot. Conan, War, Vanguard, and others. Loads of money for games that sucked hard.

1. Asherons call (My first MMO)
2. RIft (this may change game just came out and im loving it.
3. WoW
4. City of heros till it got old.
5.Star wars galaxis before all the freaking patches. Had a blast with my brother in this game

1) Dungeons and Dragons Online
2) Pirates of Burning Sea
3) WoW
4) Age of Conan
5) Lord of the Rings Online

1. Everquest

Honorable Mention: Guild Wars (not really an MMO, and I went through it purely solo)

Dishonorable Discharge: Vanguard

I haven't played any others.

I dont know how you got through a lot of the missions with NPC party members. I only played Guild Wars and Lineage 2 and I loved them both even if they werent the best games out there

ultima online
i love how so many aspects of game development keep going backwards.

I dont know how you got through a lot of the missions with NPC party members. I only played Guild Wars and Lineage 2 and I loved them both even if they werent the best games out there

In Guild Wars, for the most part the Elite missions are the ones you can't do with just NPC party members. I did almost everything besides those. I'd say you can do about 95% of the non-PVP stuff with just NPC party members if you just figure out the right combination of skills and equipment for yourself and your party for each mission. That's about 800-1000 hours worth of stuff to do.

1. Ultima Online: 1997-2000, nothing has yet topped the experience this game provided
2. EVE Online: this is what I'm currently playing, just started a few weeks ago and love it so far
3. DAoC: it was fun for awhile but then everyone left
4. Asheron's Call: Darktide was awesome
5. WoW - I don't like it, but I acknowledge the impact it has on the game world.

1. Phantasy Star Online, yes i still play it
2. Final Fantasy 11
3. Final Fantasy 14
4. Monster Hunter 2
thats about it, i never liked WOW it was far to easy and i found it to be boring just never piqued my intrest but im looking forward to pokemon world online when they fix all the problems, it reminds me of the good old days on gameboy.

1. Phantasy Star Online, yes i still play it
2. Final Fantasy 11
3. Final Fantasy 14
4. Monster Hunter 2
thats about it, i never liked WOW it was far to easy and i found it to be boring just never piqued my intrest but im looking forward to pokemon world online when they fix all the problems, it reminds me of the good old days on gameboy.

I thought PSO was shut down??

Do you live in Japan?

Back