Your old school favorites: obscure edition

Yeah, Uplink is a good game, and there are other hacker games that are decent. I hope someday someone makes a really good hacker game.

Blazing Lazers on TG-16 and Carnage Heart on PS1 are the first ones that come to mind.

Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion (Genesis): Laugh, but this was actually a really trippy platformer.

Shadowgate (NES)

Guardian Legend (NES)

Forgotten Worlds (Genesis)

A Boy and His Blob (NES)

Pathways into Darkness (Mac)

Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion (Genesis): Laugh, but this was actually a really trippy platformer.

Loved it the little jig he did when just standing there was hilarious.

Landstalker for the gen was great have a copy on my desk made me think of it.

Completely underated RPG - Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on Genesis/Megadrive.

It was freakin awesome flying around the galaxy hunting RAM cruisers and pirates. Boarding their ships and wiping out hordes of baddies with your plasma and rocket launchers. Not too mention the kick ass mercurian needle guns :eek:

Graphics were A$$ but the gameplay was epic!

Another awesome genesis game was "Haunting Starring Polterguy".

Loved it the little jig he did when just standing there was hilarious.

Landstalker for the gen was great have a copy on my desk made me think of it.

Yeah he did do a little jig I remember being really impressed by that! lol! Actually, I believe it (Castle of Illusion) was a launch title for the Sega Genesis and it was a particularly good platformer too. It was one of my first encounters with the 16bit generation of games and I remember being especially impressed by the detailed and dynamic backgrounds. It was just way beyond what I had previously been exposed to on the NES. It was very cool.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure(PC) That game rocked so hard on the old DX2-80 Mhz machine.
Phoenix on my HP-48G graphing calculator

Karnov - NES version.
The Black Bass - NES
Mystic Quest - SNES (prolly my fav JRPG of all time..not really sure why)

Pitfall 3d on Genesis and Chex Quest on PC (came in a box of Chex cereal lol. Think Doom, but you're a Corn Chex and the enemies are booger men).

Frontier: First Encounters

Too bad David Braben is a dick and there wasn't another game in the series. :(

Hmmm..
One i liked playing way back when and still never finished was Neuromancer for the PC. Great game for its time.
Megafortress (PC)
Armourgeddon (Amiga) Great game imho.
Not sure if any have played this one tho.
Winterfall (PC) Ahead of its time at least to me.
The Horde (PC) was so buggy, but was also one of my first PC games.
Any old cinemaware games for the PC.
The old Epyx sports series. (Winter games, world games, summer games, ect)

faxandu - nes
Kings bounty - Gens

Kings Bounty was brilliant! Did you know there is a remake due out September in the US? It's called Kings Bounty: The Legend. It's been developed by 1C Publishing and has been available in Russia for some time now. Apparently it has been really well received by European game sites. Looks pretty good!

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/king-s-bounty-the-legend/overview

That reminds me of a not so old school but obscure game, Space Rangers 2. Awesome game. It has an expansion coming soon called Space Rangers 2: Reboot. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes the space action/RPG/turn-based strategy/realtime strategy/text adventure/arcade shooter/exploration genre :D

Kirby's Adventure - NES
Megaman series - NES
Star Control 2 - PC
Master of Orion 2 - PC
Shining Force - Genesis
Alpha Centauri - PC
Sonic the Hedgehog -Genesis

My brother has been playing 2 games on the NES lately:

Burgertime, originally released on DECO by Data East Corporation
Solstice, which apparently has a minor cult following

Back