Your nVidia 5900XT's Overclocks

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
I've got the Gigabyte 5900XT 128mb and i finally got around to OC'ing it last night. I used Rivatuner to do. If you have a 5900XT what kind of overclock did you get and what tool did you use to get it?

The core was super easy to overclock. I could take it over 500Mhz. The memory on the other hand hampered things a little. It didn't want to run 850Mhz at all without causing artifacts. 820-830Mhz seemed to work ok. I havn't really pin-pointed right where it will run yet for the memory.

For the moment i'm just running it at 475/800. I guess thats a pretty good step up anyways from 390/700. 475Mhz is the default core speed for the 5950 BTW.

Going to try CoolBits now to see how that does. Is there like different versions of CoolBits or has there just been one registry version released? Sorry i'm sort of the vid card noob ATM lol.

Originally posted by AMDoido
460/875
evga fx5900se..

But i didn´t test the Core limit...

What did you use to overclock it? Coolbits wont let me set very high settings at all. It denies any high overclock i try to give it on the memory or core ither one.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that sometimes you get WORSE performance with high overclocks (at least in benchmarks). Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Originally posted by onetwo
Maybe it's just me, but I've found that sometimes you get WORSE performance with high overclocks (at least in benchmarks). Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Yea i think if you overclock too high and your card starts getting hot it will lower your scores.

XFX 5900xt @ 478/928

i can run the clocks @ 508/948, but i lose performance with the high memory, and the high gpu clock causes games to lockup sometimes so i lowered it a bit.

Originally posted by LancerJay
XFX 5900xt @ 478/928

i can run the clocks @ 508/948, but i lose performance with the high memory, and the high gpu clock causes games to lockup sometimes so i lowered it a bit.

Holy bejesus that's a nice clock on that card, and on an XFX to boot. ;) Nice work.

These things truely are overclocking gems and perform nicely in benchmarks that get boosts from raw performance, but they still act like a midrange card in a few areas. ;)

Pick 'em up while you can ppl, Nvidia is kicking themselves in the ass after butchering their 5900/5950 sales with this card and I do believe it's being discontinued. Can you blame 'em? :p

Keep pushin' those cards, show 'em who's boss. :D

Originally posted by LancerJay
XFX 5900xt @ 478/928

What tool are you guys using to get these OC's? I keep asking and noone answers me lol. Coolbits just flat out wont let me go very high. RivaTuner and Powerstrip are the other two that i have and been using some. Coolbits tops me out around 460/810 and thats what i'm running it at now.

Here are some reviews for the Gigabyte 5900XT 128mb for anyone thats interested.

http://www.maximopc.org/showreview.php?id=95
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_5900_xt/
http://www.pcemag.com/index.php?launch=review&rid=20
http://new.bit-tech.net/review/295/5
http://www.tt-hardware.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6102&mode=&order=0&thold=0
http://www.pcemag.com/index.php?launch=review&rid=20
http://www.phack.com.ar/articulo681.html

My memory just flat out doesn't want to overclock very high on mine. If i go much over 820-830Mhz i start getting flickers and some artifacting in 3d mark 2k1.

Rivatuner.

Coolbits will let you go that high - one of the registry settings (I don't recall which) determines how high (%) over stock it shows.

But you HAVE to be careful with the GeForceFX cards. They take thermal throttling to new extremes.

You guys with over 500 cores...try dropping them to 475 and see if you benchmarks don't increase.

I am watercooling (and volt-modded) on mine, and I can only hit 530 before thermal throttling starts knocking me down in score.

There are several levels of it, too, so just because you score isn't half or less of what you think it should be doesn't mean your card isn't thermal throttling.

Although 3dMark03 is generally held as 'useless' for comparing different architectures, we ARE all talking about the same card here, so...check out my sig for the 3dMark03 score a 5900XT should get at those clocks without thermal throttling.

If you are anywhere near those clocks and not getting close to that....I'd try lowering them or improving your cooling.

If you figure out which registry setting it is or where it is plz let us know. I'm gonna be overclocking my parents computer (no I'm not bored) and I think that GeForce3 Ti200 needs a little boost. ;) I don't much like what coolbits says the card tops out at and I'd like to know I can go higher. :p

I dunno for sure.

Save all of this as a file with a .reg extension and import it.

That's all I do, and my clocks go pretty high:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"Coolbits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableClearViewPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL\Debug]
"ShaderObjects"=dword:00000001
"WriteProgramObjectAssembly"=dword:00000000

Hmm, maybe first I'll see how the card does with the supplied parameters and THEN worry about doing BIOS stuff. ;)

What this section REALLY needs is a long in-depth overclocking guide that covers most of the popular utilities step by step and in detail such as RivaTuner, Coolbits, Powerstrip and the other ATi tools and stuff.

And then we need a benchmarking guide. One that covers most of the 3d benching software, especially 2k1, 2k3, and Aquamark and describe in detail what each setting does and what the optimal settings are for and how to accurately test for artifacts.

Also what antistropic filtering and antialising is and what the best settings are and all that. Maybe even post some actual game by game tweak guides to get the best performance out of each game like Far Cry and UT2004.

I'm sure it would help out a whole lot of people on here. Even the ones that think they already know it all :p. I'm just learning on the video card end so i've got quite a ways to go myself.

Ok i've got a question. In RivaTuner for the "Low-level core clock monitor it only reads 301Mhz from the hardware even though my drivers are saying 390Mhz. I ran AIDA32 also and it reports the GPU speed as 301Mhz and the RAM as the normal 700Mhz. Now my card isn't overclocked at all for the moment. Its just stock 390/700. So the hardware is reporting the RAM as 700 correctly but the core as only 301. Whats the deal? Do nVidia cards downclock the core speed when not in use and the drivers just dont report it?

Low-level overclocking doesn't work on the GeForceFX series due to the clock adjustments.

Firstly, there is the clock throttling.

Secondly, the card has 3 different 'modes' in any case (with different clocks and voltages for each):
* Safe Mode (used when booting up or when the card is overheating like mad - I think it's, like, 200mhz core)
* 2d Mode (used when at the desktop, or when 3d functions not in use - for the 5900XT this is 301mhz)
* 3d Mode (used when running 3d apps - for the 5900XT this is 390mhz)

Memory is not adjusted, thought.

What you have to do is use the driver-level adjustments and make sure it's the 3d setting you are adjusting, not the 2d setting.

Thanks for all the info dderidex :). I just figured that all out like 10 seconds ago though when i right clicked on the "enable low-level hardware overclocking" in RivaTuner lol.

And for all the video card overclocking noobies i found a very excellent OC'ing guide with pics and everything.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/fma/overclocking__graphics_card.htm

Also dderidex, i noticed that you were using that Det 56.64 instead of the newest nVidia drivers. I have the newest installed. Are they not any good?

Stereoscopic 3d support is one of the things I like nVidia for. The last stereo drivers where the 56.64, so I use the matching detonators.

Originally posted by burningrave101
What this section REALLY needs is a long in-depth overclocking guide that covers most of the popular utilities step by step and in detail such as RivaTuner, Coolbits, Powerstrip and the other ATi tools and stuff.

And then we need a benchmarking guide. One that covers most of the 3d benching software, especially 2k1, 2k3, and Aquamark and describe in detail what each setting does and what the optimal settings are for and how to accurately test for artifacts.

Also what antistropic filtering and antialising is and what the best settings are and all that. Maybe even post some actual game by game tweak guides to get the best performance out of each game like Far Cry and UT2004.

I'm sure it would help out a whole lot of people on here. Even the ones that think they already know it all :p. I'm just learning on the video card end so i've got quite a ways to go myself.

Is anyone still interested in having this done up??? I have already started up the Video Card FAQ in here but I'd be happy to put my time towards putting togethor a overclocking/benchmarking guide as well. If any of you know me at all then you'd know that this is right up my alley and that I'm very passionate about graphics cards. Let me know if anyone is interested in myself going ahead with this and I can do what I can do make a guide for our own.

I use coolbits and the highest stable I have got so far is 500/810 I keep it clocked lower day to day(you can see in sig) but can turn it up if I want. I just want to be safe is why I run is lower on day to day playing.

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
Is anyone still interested in having this done up??? I have already started up the Video Card FAQ in here but I'd be happy to put my time towards putting togethor a overclocking/benchmarking guide as well. If any of you know me at all then you'd know that this is right up my alley and that I'm very passionate about graphics cards. Let me know if anyone is interested in myself going ahead with this and I can do what I can do make a guide for our own.

I'm interested. I've just about got the overclock part down pat thanks to some helpful guides but i'm sure there tons of others on Hard that need help. And i would be very interested in reading an in-depth article on all different benchmarking applications like 3dmark and aquamark and what the best settings for each situation and stuff like that. Like how long you should test the video cards stability with one of them and what parts of the test are best to use to look for artifacts. And what each and every little option does in layman terms :p. Stuff like that.

I think I'm gonna start writing up the overclocking/benchmarking guide.

I will be posting the guide in my Video Card FAQ thread that is already established so stay tuned in the next two to three days (hopefully) for completion. I have touched on overclocking already in that thread in the form of a little Q&A so I'll most likely just end up pasting that into the guide. I'm not going to be posting any "work in progress" parts of the guide so it won't be up until it's done. Hopefully I can be finished by Sunday night.

PM me with any questions or requests you have along the way.

Back