Your Nominees for 2011 Most Disappointing Game Award

for me it was Batman Arkham City, the only time all year that as the credits rolled I just couldnt fathom that that was it, huge disappointment the whole way through

especially because I fucking loved arkham asylum

Huh, why? AC basically took everything from AA to the next level.

Sorry I can't help, because I only buy good games. Why would you buy a game lots of people say is bad? I don't get it. :confused:

We're talking about disappointing games, not bad games. It's not the same thing.

Perhaps when you're a bit older you'll learn the difference, and experience some disappointent yourself.

DNF. I expected it to be bad. But I figured @ $5 it cant be that bad...... apparently it can. lol

Sorry I can't help, because I only buy good games. Why would you buy a game lots of people say is bad? I don't get it. :confused:

You can be disappointed about a game you didn't buy you know?

Like... this game was such a huge disappointment I didn't even buy it!

sniff I hate Origon so I nominate BF3 for the most disapointing game of 2011!

whatever. The game is a blast. One of the BEST of 2011 IMO.

My short list:
DNF
Rage

I was expecting DNF to be an even more gigantic mess than it was. The game was in development for 10 years... 10 YEARS.

No way Batman AC could be in any way considering disappointing, imo, even with the DX11 debacle. It's a great game.

I'm going to say Deus Ex HR. I bought it release day expecting to get something that was as good or better than the original, but got something that was part Metal Gear Solid, part Red Faction, part Thief with not many of the good things about those games. Additionally, the PR screenshots which we'd been fawning for over a year before release were in no way indicative of the consolized graphics the actual game had. I would never have said this before playing the game, but I think they can bury the Deus Ex franchise after this one.

We're talking about disappointing games, not bad games. It's not the same thing.

Perhaps when you're a bit older you'll learn the difference, and experience some disappointent yourself.

yeah, I guess. If you bought Starcraft 2 and wanted an FPS, I can see how one would be disappointed.. Reading about the game first would help with this too and I usually do a lot of research before I buy.

And FYI: I'm almost 30 and my life is a long string of disappointments so I know what it is.

You can be disappointed about a game you didn't buy you know?

Like... this game was such a huge disappointment I didn't even buy it!

Ok if that's the rules it's a bit different. I just hesitate to say I'm disappointed in games I haven't even played..

I would then nominate Crysis 2 though. I actually generally liked crysis 1, and everything I saw of 2 took away the parts I liked (sneaking in the jungle, flanking etc) so I didn't waste time or money on it.

Battlefield 3 cannot even be compared to the other games. Yes origin sucks and is totally obnoxious. The web interface to find and load games is really annoying and strange to get used to. But this doesn't change that once you are actually in a game it is damn fun and plays great. Like it or not the web interface is the future for all online multiplayer games. I don't condone it but I can see the usefulness of it and understand why things are going that way. In 5 years this will be the norm and people won't think twice about it. I still miss and wax nostalgic about how things were done back in the UT '99 days with the in game server browser and integration with IRC.

Yes I have played battlefield since 1942 (mostly desert combat). No I have never played a call of duty game since the original.

My biggest pet peeves with BF 3 is that sometimes I just can't freaking connect to any servers. It gives an unexplained error 5 or 10 times. Usually a reboot will fix it but WTF should I have to reboot to play the game? Also lack of being able to host my own game grinds my gears, but no games let you do this anymore thanks to starcraft 2's precedent. I also just want to boot up the game to change controls and my characters loadout and dick around in a test environment. Despite these shortcomings which really do piss me off, all is forgotten once you're in and having a blast.

Then again I didn't pay $60 for the game + $15 for Karkand. I payed $29.99 on black friday and $11 for the expansion which I feel I've gotten my moneys worth.

Actually I change my vote to AC: Revelations. That was the most disappointing game that I made a thread about it. I didn't do so for LA Noire.

I LOLed at this...

And FYI: I'm almost 30 and my life is a long string of disappointments so I know what it is.

Sounds like you are pretty jaded there, dude!

Anyway, I am surprised at the amount of discussion about BF3. I haven't bought it yet, but I didn't think it would even make the list!

I don't have RAGE either, but I think my vote would have to go there for being such an unpolished release for the PC. I will pick it up someday.... when the price goes to $9.99. Then it should be running like a champ!

Anyway, I am surprised at the amount of discussion about BF3. I haven't bought it yet, but I didn't think it would even make the list!

Plenty of hardcore BF2 fans and Origin naysayers could probably go on and on about how it was a disappointment.

In terms of terrible games, I'm gonna have to give Homefront a nod. It looked terrible and the gameplay was terrible. Although I'm not sure about being 'disappointed' by the game since I wasn't expecting much at all.

I don't know why it would cause surprise. The thread is about "disappointing", not "bad". Disappointing, as in not what you were hoping for, which seems appropriate enough if you were hoping for being able to get it on Steam, or you were hoping for a return to BF2.

I was hoping for the same thing from BF:BC2 (as in something similar to BF2), and I didn't find the online experience to be what I was looking for, but I still felt it was a polished, well-made game. Hence disappointed, but not bad.

In that same vein, I wouldn't put Homefront or DNF on here since I don't have any preconceived notion of these two games being good or bad, so it's not really possible to be disappointed.

I don't know why it would cause surprise. The thread is about "disappointing", not "bad". Disappointing, as in not what you were hoping for, which seems appropriate enough if you were hoping for being able to get it on Steam, or you were hoping for a return to BF2.

I was hoping for the same thing from BF:BC2 (as in something similar to BF2), and I didn't find the online experience to be what I was looking for, but I still felt it was a polished, well-made game. Hence disappointed, but not bad.

In that same vein, I wouldn't put Homefront or DNF on here since I don't have any preconceived notion of these two games being good or bad, so it's not really possible to be disappointed.

BF3 basically is BC2 slightly polished. It is hard to think that BF:BC2 isn't what you were looking for, but a great game and then have a different opinion of BF3.

BF3 basically is BC2 slightly polished. It is hard to think that BF:BC2 isn't what you were looking for, but a great game and then have a different opinion of BF3.
I think you misread my post. I don't have any opinion of BF3 as a game. I don't have it since I can't get it on Steam :p.

Dead Island was very bad.

It win Most disappointing game award because the Dead Island promo video was fucking awesome and the game sucked complete ass.

People have to remember this is most Disappointing game not worst game....People have such love for BF2 that BF3 can do nothing but disappoint not surprised to see it on here even though it is quite a bad ass game.

Good example will be D3. D2 was so good that D3 can only disappoint.

I think you misread my post. I don't have any opinion of BF3 as a game. I don't have it since I can't get it on Steam :p.

You're not missing much. It's BC2 with new maps and slightly rearranged classes for no particular reason. I got kinda bored after a week or two. got to lv11 havent been back since. I'm gonna try and talk myself into playing tonight but part of problem and I disagree that you can separate the two is that Battlelog and Origin is a huge pain in the ass. Just getting the game to launch and get into a server is a pain in the butt. Once you get its fun but meh, It's more of the same.

You're not missing much. It's BC2 with new maps and slightly rearranged classes for no particular reason. I got kinda bored after a week or two. got to lv11 havent been back since. I'm gonna try and talk myself into playing tonight but part of problem and I disagree that you can separate the two is that Battlelog and Origin is a huge pain in the ass. Just getting the game to launch and get into a server is a pain in the butt. Once you get its fun but meh, It's more of the same.

Oh my god. Search my posts. I said that as well and got flamed because it was apparently 3 clicks. My ass.

I even made a post on their facebook wall in 8 steps to play the game. They deleted it.

Brink & Dead Island.
I honestly had fun with Rage and Crysis 2. While DNF sucked, I had almost no expectations whatsoever for it. It turned out just like I thought it would.

Dead Island was very bad.

It win Most disappointing game award because the Dead Island promo video was fucking awesome and the game sucked complete ass.

People have to remember this is most Disappointing game not worst game....People have such love for BF2 that BF3 can do nothing but disappoint not surprised to see it on here even though it is quite a bad ass game.

Good example will be D3. D2 was so good that D3 can only disappoint.

Damn right it was. I got flamed for this as well. Dead Island was terrible. That game had such and awesome concept by their development team, and failed to deliver.

I heard disappointing things about D3 by my buddy who is in beta, but I havent played it so I will reserve judgement.

Brink & Dead Island.
I honestly had fun with Rage and Crysis 2. While DNF sucked, I had almost no expectations whatsoever for it. It turned out just like I thought it would.

Agreed. Everyone wants to hate on DNF, but I can't believe people had high expectations for it.

disappointing means you had high hopes going in...with that criteria the winner in a landslide should be RAGE...id Software was always a top notch PC developer...plus they had a new game engine and all the pre-release hype...sad to say but Rage wins hands down

DNF turned out like everyone thought- a cheesy homage to the original...I was going to vote for Homefront but that was a game that came out of nowhere with some early buzz but no real expectations...MW3 is what it is and it does it well, so no real surprises

Brink. Giant failure that didn't manage to live up to any of the pre-release information from the devs and publisher.

Rage considering its their first game after Doom3,, damn what a POS game really...

...Dead Island promo video was fucking awesome and the game sucked complete ass.

That video game trailer literally sold the damn game, (or at least launched a thousand pre-orders) There was little gameplay video and no demo prior to Dead Island's release. But the trailer was so good, I don't think there was any way for the game to be but down.

Best video game Trailer goes too.............Dead Island.

Before the game came out this is how I had pictured it. 4 player Left 4 Dead but with a long story driven campaign that contained riveting gameplay, addictive rpg elements, and Graphics like Crysis. Rarely do I get hyped for a game but this one came out of nowhere and hyped me up quite nicely.

Lucky for me I didn't reorder or buy the trash.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, it's a disappointment on every level, it's heavily consolized. It needs some mods for it to be playable for me. I hate seeing the obvious consolization of one of PC's premier franchises during my lifetime.

It's not quite Crysis "Push Start" 2, but it's definitely bad.

Once the mods come out that overhaul the UI extensively and wipe out the consolization, I will play it.

Best video game Trailer goes too.............Dead Island.

Before the game came out this is how I had pictured it. 4 player Left 4 Dead but with a long story driven campaign that contained riveting gameplay, addictive rpg elements, and Graphics like Crysis. Rarely do I get hyped for a game but this one came out of nowhere and hyped me up quite nicely.

Lucky for me I didn't reorder or buy the trash.

I honest to god think that was the original idea. I was expecting L4D mixed with resident evil long before the trailer. The game had been in development for like 5 years. Last year the project was hold indefinitely. Then the trailer showed out of no where and the style of the game completely changed. I get the impression some publisher walked in with a wad of cash and said "make this".

Dead Island is a first-person horror action-adventure video game developed by Techland and published by Deep Silver[5] for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It is centered on the challenge of survival on a zombie-infested open world island with a major emphasis on melee combat. It was originally announced at E3 2006,[6] but was pushed back to 2011.

Oddly the section for the development history of the game is empty.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, it's a disappointment on every level, it's heavily consolized. It needs some mods for it to be playable for me. I hate seeing the obvious consolization of one of PC's premier franchises during my lifetime.

It's not quite Crysis "Push Start" 2, but it's definitely bad.

Once the mods come out that overhaul the UI extensively and wipe out the consolization, I will play it.

What does that even mean?

Agreed. Everyone wants to hate on DNF, but I can't believe people had high expectations for it.

I liked DNF, so much so I just bought the DLC! Really, it's just a cheesy shooter, looks pretty good in 3D, paid $10, well not $20 for the DLC, got my money's worth.

Nice to see most here have taken the correct meaning from the award title. Yes it is most disappointing game, not the worst. Someobody else can create that thread and poll if they so desire.

Definite nominees so far will be:

Brink
Dead Island
Rage
Duke Nukem Forever (pretty impressive that it managed to disappoint so badly when expectations were already in the gutter. Well done 3D Realms/Gearbox!)
Battlefield 3
Crysis 2
Dragon Age II
LA Noire

Maximum number of poll options is 12. Those are the 8 most cited disappointments. Keep the nominations coming, and please do nominate games that have already been mentioned - the most mentioned games go to the final! :D

Poll up tomorrow.

Add in Skyrim, I will probably be the only person who votes for it, but it is definitely my most disappointing title of the year.

Either DNF or bulletstorm. DNF was a worse game overall, but bulletstorm had such a crappy ending that I was more disappointed with it.

One of the most surprisingly fun games I played this year was DNF. People love to bandwagon jump on hating it because of its 10 year development hell, but really, it had a lot of its moments where I laughed or had fun. Additionally, I paid very little for it, and came out smiling.

As for "the most disappointing", I can really only base my answer on games I bought and played this year, since I don't know when each came out. To that end, I think Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was hugely disappointing. The single player just wasn't great (and I no longer have time to get and stay good at multiplayer). Add to it that BF3 was Origin only, and it's the biggest disappointment I've had - that I won't get to play it.

Most disappointing I've played is Orcs must die. It's a mild distraction, but got way more praise than it deserved.

Crysis 2

Extremely unimpressive game. The far cry games for the original Xbox had more open levels and better crysis powers than crysis 2 did.

Back